Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just want to reiterate that, in terms of charmingly absurd teen soap, the preview for episode 4 brings the motherfucking ruckus.

Also, internet fandom distilled in three YouTube comments:

EDIT: :tviv: Episode 6 title: "Faster, Pussycats! Kill! Kill!"

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

Like I feel like that entire storyline was some adolescent fantasy of one of the main writers and he decided to live it out through Archie.

I mean what you know doesn't necessarily change what you feel, and I thought that whole storyline was uncomfortable too. But for what it's worth, any unfulfilled jerk-off fantasies Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa may have had for his teachers would have been for the male ones.

I think it's just the sort of situation where, because many of us are wired to think of guys as aggressors in sexual roles, it's hard for some writers -- be they man, woman, gay, or straight -- to write women in those sorts of inappropriate student-teacher relationships as predators, even if the student is underage. (It also doesn't help that everyone on this show looks way older than 15-16.) To be clear, I'm not trying to start a debate on how "it's different," because it's not; he's still underage, she's still responsible for part of his upbringing...it's wrong, full stop. I'm just nitpicking and trying to provide a more realistic look at what might have gone wrong in the room.

Having said that, that last little scene with Grundy tells me it's more complicated than "gosh, won't someone think of the child molesters" and everybody gets that it's a problem. Which is good, because I'm not even entirely sure they're done with Grundy.

Episode 5 preview: I know episode 4 made Grundy seem like she was hiding a bigger secret than she actually was, so I'm not holding my breath for anything too insane. Still, I did not expect them to go full "WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOOOOX" this fast!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

Compare to Riverdale, especially the scenes only Grundy or her and Archie are privy to -- we see her overtly manipulating him into not going to the police ("No, you see, I care about you, and if you tell them then I would be in trouble and they'd keep us apart. You don't want that, do you?"), then effectively rewarding him for leaving her out of his July 4th story to the police to protect her, and then that last shot of her lolita-glasses'ing at other presumably high school boys on her way out of town. Even with her domestic abuse story, however much of it is actually true, the show paints her in a light that's pretty explicitly "she is predatory and cannot be trusted".

I also, after thinking about it, kinda feel like Archie is taking on some of the personality (for want of a less rear end in a top hat-y word) "quirks" of a rape victim? Like, Alice kinda slut-shamed him during that whole confrontation, and he copped to it in some desperate attempt to get Miss Grundy some clemency, but his self-esteem is really low. Even in that first episode, he was telling Betty, "Of course I love you, but I'm not good enough for you." He has a tendency to think of himself as a bit of a shitlord; I'm sure a lot of it is rooted in his inappropriate relationship with Miss Grundy, and how that's stopped him from doing things like tell Sheriff Keller about the gunshot he heard, or, you know, give his best friend in the world the answer she wants for a question she had to ask.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tiggum posted:

I assume the story is not true at all because it's basically the perfect story to manipulate Archie into doing what she wants. If it happened to be true, that would be a huge coincidence.

Yeah, but (warning: armchair psychology backed up by zero classes taken in college) if it happened to be true it would also explain why she's cougaring underage students. "Men" are overly strong, violent, controlling assholes, but boys, particularly ones that are inclined to follow her lead...

She could totally be bullshitting her way out of a situation, of course, but I think an abusive husband would throw some gas on those sorts of pathological inclinations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I watched through these episodes, because this recap-podcast by General Ironicus and his wife. That podcast is really great and I suggest you to follow it.

You had me at General Ironicus. And the podcast is indeed awesome.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

I just want to know where the version of Candy Girl used in the intro to Ironicus and Wife's podcast came from. It sounds like the kind of ridiculous parody you'd hear on the Simpsons.

In his review, Sepinwall pointed out a TV movie made in the early 90s called To Riverdale and Back Again, which featured Jughead and his son doing an atrocious hip-hop take on "Sugar Sugar." When I read about that I decided I never needed to hear it in my life.

Thanks, Grant and Elena, you jerks.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
At two, maybe three points during this episode, I yelled out "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON?" At this rate, by the time the finale airs, I'm just going to be off in a corner repeatedly muttering "Somebody call somebody," like that dude at the end of Se7en.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Polly demonically possessed Betty and through her murdered Jason. Betty is unaware of what happened. Their dad is aware of Polly's psychic powers and Betty's involvement and is doing whatever he can to cover it all up.

Prove me wrong.

Depends on if Sabrina is in this season. Also, I'm gonna need a few more references to The King in Yellow before I buy into this theory.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hollismason posted:

This series isn't a adaptation of the Archie Comics. It's a adaptation of the Betty and Veronica comics.

Actually I read a interview that made a lot of sense that Archie is a stereotypical teen from a 90s TV show and oblivious to not only his idiocy but how the world doesn't revolve around him. It's a interesting choice to make the main character of the comics to be tertiary to the plot but that's what he is and he doesn't realize that he isn't the main lead of the series. The show so far has been all about Betty and Veronica moving the plot forward with Jughead. Archies pretty much done nothing. Betty and Veronica are the main characters not Archie. Which is really interesting. So yeah, Archie is actually a supporting character to Betty and Veronica who are the actual main stars of the show.

I believe you, but if you happen to run across that interview again, I'd love to read it.

If that's the tack they're taking, though, I doubt Archie stays tertiary for the whole season. If that's how it is, so be it, but he's our main guy, and our main guy is stuck in a bubble with a severe confidence problem. Something is going to force him into the game.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Reminder that Tony Topaz cyberbullied Veronica re: her ethnicity.

I just shared that image with Sex Archie's Twitter and I'll be damned if they didn't spin it into gold.

https://twitter.com/sex_archie/status/839609314490843136

(Pinterest Mom: if you grabbed that screen I'll be happy to make sure you get credited if you want. Wasn't thinking when I tweeted them, I apologize.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Saturday's podcast is just going to be Grant and Alaina sobbing for an hour. drat, what an episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Edmund Lava posted:

What is this in reference to? Google isn't being very helpful here.

They're the married couple that does Sex Archie, and they're huge Jughead fans. The reveal that Jughead was living in the drive-in broke their hearts, and for the last couple of episodes, Alaina was angrily demanding to know where Jughead was living.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Sex Archie just put out another bonus episode. In it, Grant and Alaina discuss theories from podcast fans (including one from Yours Truly!), crazy Instagram fans (including one so dumb it makes Grant hilariously angry), their own theories, and the virtues of O Brother, Where Art Thou?, all while being nauseatingly adorable together.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 24, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JethroMcB posted:

...much to the producers' surprise people weren't down with a child predator storyline right out of the gate.

Nah, Grundy's exit was baked in. She left town, when, episode 4? That would've been in post, if not entirely in the can, by the time the first episode aired.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JethroMcB posted:

I recall reading that the producers explained decision to write her out was made after focus grouping the pilot and before going to series, but I can't find a source.

Ah, well, that makes sense anyway. But Dawson's Creek pulled the same move in its first season and wrote the same character out in a similar fashion. RAS lists Dawson's Creek as a key influence, so I figured two and two...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Codependent Poster posted:

Archie should totally get with Cheryl.

Right now Cheryl's at the point where if she and Archie are ever in the same room together again she is going to Jodi Arias the gently caress out of him.

And that is a sentence I wrote about an Archie TV show in 2017.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This episode was good, but the preview for next week is like :stare:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man, a shittier show would've swerved at the last minute and pinned the murder on Polly for a cheap "DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND" pop. I love that the Blossoms were on the board as potential suspects fairly early on and the show followed through on it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Wait, is that comic book FP tossed Jughead gonna come into play?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh you bastards.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

And I finally-- FINALLY-- am fully onboard the Archie Andrews train. The Grundy thing hurt his character a lot. Like I really don't think the writers understood how badly that compromised him. But these past few episodes, he has been killing it, and in this one, he legit knocked it out of the park. Being genuinely happy for his friends being together, wanting to stand up for the truth, breaking his loving hand punching through the ice to save Cheryl, making an actual, honest-to-god attempt at catching a bullet for his dad (likely a reference to his comics fate); the boy's a hero and he is finally the Archie we deserve. Welcome to the club you beautiful ginger bastard. We will get justice for your dad. :patriot:

Remember all those complaints about Archie being somewhat disconnected from the main thread of this season?

I don't think that's gonna be a problem next year.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All you guys talking about Archie becoming Batman, I just keep thinking about James Ellroy's My Dark Places and Death Wish, and what the Archie/CW versions of that would look like. If the longer episode order means I only have to wait until late September / early October to find out, then I'm quite all right with it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know, if they do pivot into supernatural horror, I'll be here for it, but I kinda really like the neo-noir thing it has going on right now.

Like, My Dark Places for sensitive teens (and teens at heart) is something I want to see way more of.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I was on board from the jump, but episode 4 is when it started really connecting with me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I love everything about that trailer.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I'll go one step further: Based on what I'm told about Chic's history in Archie Comics, I think Chic shot Fred. It's not that big a step from "superspy" to "ruthless hired gun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Happy season premiere day! Here's your Season 2 thread!

• Locked thread