Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

My roommate left her cat and now he's ours because we love him. I want to get all the pet care items like claw trimmers which she never had. Baby, the cat, was declawed by his previous owner and only has his back claws which he chews on. He does this at least once a day, his claws aren't very long because of that. I don't know if this is good for him.

Lonely Virgil fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Some chewing is a normal grooming behavior - they are pulling old nail sheaths off. Once a day would be fine behavior for this. But you said they are short because of this behavior? I find the back claws do grow more slowly than the front, but they do get sharp eventually, and if they have never been trimmed then that is strange. I would ask a vet about their length, and if it seems they are being destructively chewed on and if the quick (the blood supply) has been damaged. Paws can get itchy from food allergies, but if it's only the back paws then it's probably not that.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

pandaid posted:

Some chewing is a normal grooming behavior - they are pulling old nail sheaths off. Once a day would be fine behavior for this. But you said they are short because of this behavior? I find the back claws do grow more slowly than the front, but they do get sharp eventually, and if they have never been trimmed then that is strange. I would ask a vet about their length, and if it seems they are being destructively chewed on and if the quick (the blood supply) has been damaged. Paws can get itchy from food allergies, but if it's only the back paws then it's probably not that.

He won't let me see no, but the claws on one of his paws were down to the quick. The other paw has longer claws. He does have history of getting dry, itchy skin.

He just got dropped on our laps so I don't have his full vet history.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What food is he eating / was he eating?
The quality of food can make a big difference in skin & coat and even overall long-term health.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

CharlesM posted:

What food is he eating / was he eating?
The quality of food can make a big difference in skin & coat and even overall long-term health.

Cat Chow Gentle, I don't know much about the quality of Cat Chow, but I do want put him on better food, but affordable food.

My roommate told me he can't eat wet food because it gives him diarrhea, I don't know if this is true or not, but I don't want to cause him distress.

Lonely Virgil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 12, 2017

• Locked thread