Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Get used to that song, by the end of three games you will have no doubt who the ocean's gray waves are. And it will be stuck in your head forever.

On the note of little game details, at the start when you tease Leo about his cloak being inside out? I think there's a tag on the back of his collar, but I haven't been able to get a clear look at his back to conform it's not something on his normal model.

E: just confirmed. His cowl is black with a purple inside, and in that scene the purple side is out complete with visible stitching and a tag. :allears:

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The annoying thing is that the stats screen no longer shows what you're vulnerable to. Is that berserker, covered head-to-toe in heavy armor, weak to an armorslayer? Have to walk up and check (nope). Feels like a "two forward one back" sort of change.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Hidden weapons" is an odd name for those things. First time I saw people talking about it I assumed it was some secret unlockable that everyone just assumed everyone else knew about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Huh? Why? Anything that has grogs raging has my interest.

It'll be shown off pretty clearly when the LP gets there, but in general while Birthright follows Awakening's style of large groups of sheer stats, Conquest leans more towards some ability/weapon combinations that range from annoying to downright sinister. Enemies with reverse-rescue staves to pull guys into killboxes and max range just happens to be where you'd probably plant someone at a chokepoint, things like that. Nothing you couldn't work around by being clever, but you need to check the battlefield before you start and look for the traps.

Aesclepia posted:

As far as I can tell, that's why. I played Birthright first, decided I loved the games and their silly, silly stories, and wanted more of that.
Besides, you can set your game to Casual and Normal. It's really ok to just enjoy the games.

I play on casual once I realized that playing hardcore doesn't change anything, just makes me more stressed as I reset levels. Casual/hard is my ideal spot of challenge/consequences.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It feels like a lot of Birthright's shtick for characters is "can be very good if they luck into a couple of low-growth stats, but left wanting otherwise". Kaze needs a bit of strength, Hana needs hp/def (doesn't have to become a tank, just enough to not die when sheezed on), and so on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Really, as with any FE ranking discussion, individual results are going to depend heavily on your personal RNG. Also on items available; I've probably got enough boosts from the My Castle visits (up to 1100 visits and 500 battles) to turn anyone into a beefcake, if not for Elixir Syndrome and "what if I gave Kaze str boosts but he roilled it later but was already capped?" I don't think I've ever managed to use a stat boost until just before the final boss, or at least close enough to it that I know who my A-team is gonna be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dump Hana
Feed Rinkah

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is tough guys chewing on grass/straw actually a thing in manga/anime? I always assumed it was a censorship of cigarettes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Blaze is my default female RPG character name, and it fits given the Fire Emblem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SweaterGear posted:

The final song is all kinds of great, even if it is just a sweet remix of that ocean's grey waves song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9J0_RYhWMw I like to imagine all the benched folks are standing offscreen during the fight frantically playing instruments.

This fight took me a bit because I assumed it would be trickier than it is, and so split my group to fight out to those sigils in the corners of the room. Nope, slapfight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

arthur is the best character in the game, and i can even conclusively say that having seen the utterly forgettable ones from birthright now

unless revelations introduces new characters, which i guess it should but probably won't

How can you say Arthur is the best when Effie is right here?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Effie may not be doubling anything, but I find she tends to gain enough speed to avoid being doubled by things too, which is a plus since her strength means she'll often kill things attacking her making room for more attackers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

We've seen Mozu, and she's already lost her home village twice and been conscripted once. Bench her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Given her siblings already rather characterized as well-meaning but misguided, I think the second would have been better. Since the games have different combat gimmicks, it also skirts the "I want this kind of gameplay but don't want to eat kittens" problem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

I think The Room Of Infinite gently caress You Lunge Ninjas is probably the most memorable thing about Conquest, at least on a gameplay level.

I think it's Before Awakening's gently caress-You-Lunge-Ninjas.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

drat Conquest and their bizarrely tight deployment limits.

They've got nothing on Revelation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I kinda wish the royals didn't have their weapons. It makes some severe luck seem lackluster. My Hana has better stats than Ryoma if not for that sword.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Man, Beruka's getting pretty screwed over on the Speed front. I mean, she's almost as slow as a Knight! Voting to ditch her because she's turning out pretty badly, Gunter for flat-out sucking, Azura because she kind of got overexposed on Birthright, Keaton because I ran out of bad units to vote off, and someone else I can't recall off-hand; probably Odin, though. Anyway, a belated character review for Gunter, because I never got around to it in Birthright.

Beruka doesn't have the speed, but she's almost as tanky as Benny.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Forget Xander, it's his HORSE that's doing wonderful things in that crit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Krumbsthumbs posted:

What, did you say, to that horse.

"Remember what happened to the last one who wouldn't jump?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I am pathologically incapable of using items like boots, so I voted for the guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Revelations DONE! I am finally done with this game!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

After all the "these guys are abusive parents" this one's refreshing to see.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's such a shame to see people benching Beruka. In my game she wound up a Camilla++ with the best defense of anyone on the team including Xander and the knights.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

My bad, saying Elise > Ophelia in the nuking department would be nuts.

I'm saying that I found Witch Elise to be a lot better for the team one-rounding whatever she was pointed at rather than being a healbot. Then again, she capped Magic, Speed, and Luck as a witch in my file so maybe I'm just super lucky?

Made her supports of her complaining she was useless in combat super hilarious.

I made her a witch, got warp, and then bounced her back to Strategist for an incredibly mobile healer/deleter. Yeah, she maxed magic and speed and resilience for me too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For step 4, you don't want slimes in this game?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Conquest: "gently caress you and the dragon you rode in on."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't remember, can you Rescue Corrin out or Warp in?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tae posted:

Something that won't be covered is that this map is a lot harder on Lunatic not because of bigger stats and/or more enemies, but because of Lunatic specific skills that show up, like one called Inevitable End-Enemy will accumulate status reduction effects.

On regular debuffs, someone hit with a Spy Yumi with Seal Resistance will have their resistance reduced by 6, because Seal Resistance is the highest number applied. With IEnd, that -6 stacks with the -2 from the Spy Yumi.

So all those multiple ninja traps? Effie would be grinded with possibly -12 stats by end of a run.

Is it debuffs from separate sources or multiple applications? What happens if a ninja doubles you with a shuriken? What about attacking on two turns?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

By your definition of cheating, what games with an AI opponent *don't* cheat? Chess and Advance Wars? And I'm not sure about the latter, Days of Ruin definitely breaks it with having reinforcements spawn in cinematically rather than always built.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm gonna guess it's not bullshit, and that both things would make her dissolve.

If I remember my minerals right, Azurite dissolves in water.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Junpei posted:

The plot hurts worse than that magic trick where a guy sits in a barrel while the magician sticks swords into the sides of the barrel, except with actual swords sticking into the barrel guy.

The plot hurts worse than that analogy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For those playing along at home, the paths with barely-visible branches in front of them are the trap ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"So you know this day/night divide that affects the kingdoms' availability of food/et cetera and was kinda a factor behind the whole war (other than Garon being a goo-dad)? Turns out it's gonna swap in a few months and nobody saw fit to comment on this,"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inferno-sama posted:

But how do they get around the reduced amount of sunlight for the crops? Surely that would be problem, right?

A focus on factories and mining, a strong class system so the nobles get the hard-to-obtain resources while the trash just gets enough to survive, and a strong imperial agenda allowing them to loot other continents.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Even with the -2 strength, on my Rev run Hana turned into a monster who was better than Ryoma in every way except having a busted-rear end weapon. And Ryoma was no slouch in his growths. So here's to jinxing her on this run!

"Hey, you know that deadline when the door to Valla shuts? Let's tell everyone to gather at the very last second before that happens!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

also i don't get why it's beruka and not veruca

You want her to be named a wart?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

why did they like the rainbow sage enough to put him in every route

Plot critical. The Yato(s) couldn't be upgraded by just any old dude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tae posted:

Cause slight spoiler, the deployment slots are small in Revelation.

Yeah, this is IMO the game's biggest failing. "Have the whole cast! And only bring ten including the main character."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fun fact: "fuga" is actually the noise enemies make when he hits them.

• Locked thread