Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh god this is making me want to finish my conquest run.

But the EXP grinding map scales with level and has aggressive enemies.

WHY INTSYS WHY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Emperordaein posted:

I fell in love with this map when I played it. This was the kind of map I loved in the past games. When it's really more a puzzle where you have to figure out how to tackle multiple objectives. My first Conquest run, when I beat the mission, I actually got overwhelmed after the defensive lines broke, and the last turn was everyone bunkering down as I tried to desperately hold out till the end. Second run, I maintained the line, thanks to better knowledge and better focus on certain units.

Okay, so full disclosure, I played Conquest lunatic classic and burnt out on the final mission, so my opinion on the game itself is skewed by how loving depressing that was.

But despite all of that, this map is genuinely one of the biggest highlights of the entire set of games. I was doing okay on it, feeling a little under pressure the first time when the Dragon vein went off. My entire army got wiped and I just sat their slackjawed.

Cue a half dozen tries where I tried to cope with the DV going off and just concluded that it wasn't possible to deal with. I'm told other people managed it, but I've no idea how.

I think the brilliant part of Conquest is encapsulated by the single thought I had. "What if I kill Takumi before he can activate the Dragon Vein?" Conquest sees that strategy and goes, "Yup, that's fair enough." Conquests best maps are ones where you can think of solutions like that and exploit them to win. Its worst maps are the ones where there is a single set strategy that you /must/ follow to win.

Don't get me wrong, killing Takumi is a nightmare, he's a beastly unit and you have to deprive yourself of Beruka and Corrin to pull it off. But it turns out that was far easier for me than playing the map conventionally.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also Tharja and Severa are massive ballers.

PassingPie posted:

I... what? This isn't really clear from the screenshots, but is he evaporating the water?

No no no no, that's not some piddly little pond he's draining, they arrived here on boats. This is a port town, so he just... drained the ocean? :psyduck:

It's not clear from the map but there are ladders going from the water bottom to the roads. I assume all that's happened is that he's switched it from a high tide point to a low tide point.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 26, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's odd, but I like Tharja most because of her support with Nowi. She finds out that Nowi's parents are dead and then tries to spare Nowi the pain of knowing it.

That and her support with Noire where she says she doesn't want to teach Noire about hexes because she values her daughter's safety above having an apprentice.

Anagram Tharja has none of this nuance or charm.

• Locked thread