Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

To be fair, it was apparently only mentioned in a Japanese-exclusive artbook. Yes, the backlash was horrible when they published that little tidbit; apparently the fanbase went from "Leo wins a character poll" to "demanding Leo's death" as soon as it was released.
this didnt happen, they just thought it was dumb.

Space Bat posted:

The whole game is 20 thirteen year olds posting their BAD rear end original characters and posting in rainbow text how Corrin slashes Leo with his magical sword! TELEPORTS BEHIND YOU!
if it was this at least more of the cast would actually be able to do stuff

does anyone remember the last time sakura had a line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black Feather posted:

So the characters really have no idea of each other's kids? Or do they know there was a kid but have no idea what they grew up to look like? I have so many questions, and I'm starting to think none of them will be answered.
congrats, you're starting to figure it out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black Feather posted:

In my defense, this LP is my first experience with Fire Emblem and I honestly expected things to make sense.
no, the other fe games are good and make sense. sometimes there's plot contrivances but there's a difference between extremely convenient things happening to move the plot along and characters not making any sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The map design in Conquest still has a lot of issues, IMO, but we'll get into that when we get there. I've only played through it a couple of times due to that, and I cant' see myself playing it again anytime soon.

Thracia has the best overall design and an actually pretty good story, I feel. Not by 'FE's dismally low standards,' it's just a decent story that takes advantage of the medium.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

azura's character is fine, it's her role in the plot that sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Her character just let almost everyone her son knows get murdered and refuses to explain why. She shows no sign of acknowledging that she did anything wrong, let alone repentance.
by that standard every character in the game is bad, because they're all total monsters when it comes to their kids

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tithin posted:

No, master seals. I flipped Corrin at level 15 to his promoted class, and he stayed level 15.
that isn't how that works. master seals reset your level to 1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when you hit level 20 in your base class, unless you need the stat boosts immediately for whatever reason

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omobono posted:

Please tell me they're not going to go full stupid circle and have some of the Awakening 1st gens actually be from Fates, are they? Not that the alternative (the hacks couldn't even bother to create new characters so they cloned some) is much better, but still.
No. They're just reincarnations.

And to be fair, I don't think it's 'couldn't even bother' so much as 'shameless pandering.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Is tough guys chewing on grass/straw actually a thing in manga/anime? I always assumed it was a censorship of cigarettes.
some ronin (masterless samurai) did it in real life, some directors of old samurai movies picked up on it, bam, visual shorthand for 'tough guy who doesn't let anyone tell him what to do.' some delinquents did it in real life in the like 70s/80s too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlioo posted:

Probably a localization choice I assume.
Kinda sorta. The JP versions weren't really that heavy on marriage either. Probably since Kana is the one character who can never have a kid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Don't you realize?! A year here would be FOREVER in my Deeprealm! And I just can't wait THAT long to prove my usefulness again! I...I...hate it there, away from you!

it's like they put this in the game and went 'actually, this is basically psychological torture' but instead of coming up with some other bullshit excuse for kids they just made all the parents into monsters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can capture her with orochi and she'll retain her unique model/cut-in and such but she won't have any supports. she also has unique growths, incidentally. The two bandit bosses in Kanna's paralogue are also like that, same with Funke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Insane Troll Logic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are actually some decent-good supports. Generally the non-romance ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spatula City posted:

the writing has really made Elise seem....special. I gathered pretty early that she was actually an adult. but her behavior is clearly "mentally 8 years old at best". so everything she says makes more sense if she's developmentally delayed.
i dont think this is true and also this'd be more hosed up than if she was 15 or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spatula City posted:

obviously the localization didn't intend that, but that's how it comes off to me. or maybe I hate this anime trope of dumbed-down arrested development girls. It's something lost in translation between Japan and America, I assume, as I guess this type is charming to people in Japan.

girl: im having fun
spatula city: UGH LOOK AT THIS RETARD

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the merchants being goofy is just a joke about the merchant guy in dragon quest 4, who kind of sucked in combat and was the goofy comic relief character who wouldn't always attack when you told him to or would spend his turn staring at the female party members instead of doing anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're anya and byakuya in the jp version. 'dark night kingdom' and 'white night kingdom' are more like titles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, that's what they literally translate to, but it's Byakuya and Anya, proper nouns. Like how a person can be named Byakuya but that wouldn't mean their name is 'White night,' it'd mean that their name is Byakuya and that is the meaning of their name. The translators you're using are spitting out the literal meaning of the kanji used in the names.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 5, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

While I can see where you're coming from with this, you have to keep in mind how little effort was put into the setting; thus, my assumption is that they just decided to have a "dark" kingdom and a "light" kingdom and didn't really even bother naming them (beyond "call it what it is" levels of laziness, at least), thus making them just the "dark kingdom" and the "light kingdom." By this logic, the Western release would be the first time either faction actually had a proper name.

I mean 'nohr' is just a word for 'black' with a letter filed off and 'hoshi' is japanese for 'star' so the localizers still didn't try very hard.

and again, they had proper names. anya and byakuya. those names are incredibly lazy, but they aren't somehow not names.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

The localized names are still more effort than what they were called in Japanese; insisting on calling them "Anya" and "Byakuya" is on the border between "acceptable assertion of names" and "rabid Japanese purist," though I'll admit that which side of the border it falls into depends on the individual reading it (obviously, I find it more on the "rabid purism" side).

Honestly, considering this forum, that's probably the best you're getting out of me; we've both made our opinions more than clear, so let's just drop it now and stop derailing the LP, okay?
Uh, the localized names are better. I was literally just correcting your japanese, not saying that the JP names are pure and should not be touched.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you you don't use yukimura for his stats, you use yukimura because he's voiced by the colonel from metal gear solid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Lilith's death is just another thing in the long, long list of things I want to ask the developers about and find out why they came to these decisions, because so many plot choices are so drat nonsensical and frustrating.
Because writing a video game is freaking impossible. Pretty much every possible good idea you can have inevitably gets sacrificed for the sake of gameplay, or marketing, or whatever. Fates is just an incredibly egregious example, but even games I think are well-written have more than a few moments of filler, odd pacing, or half-finished ideas.

I don't really envy the writers, and I don't really blame them, either. Blame whatever chucklehead thought the three games gimmick was a good idea and that they also needed to get those three games out in under two years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, Fates doesn't get the usual excuses like Uncharted, where there's decent writing, and decent gameplay, and they kind of totally fail to mesh. Fates pretty much entirely disconnects the gameplay and the narrative most of the time, and the story is still garbage even by videogame standards.
uncharted has neither of those and the reason fates' story is garbage is, again, because of the ridiculous amount of writing they had to do and how slapdash that process was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im fairly certain it is possible to burn a person. perhaps, by tying them to a lot of wooden things, and then setting those things on fire. i wonder if anyone has ever invented that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ryoma is mostly just boring while xander is aggressively stupid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

disagree with this sentiment
i said 'writing a video game is impossible' not 'writing a good video game is impossible'. the sentiment being expressed was that video game writers are working under impossible conditions, not that games with good writing don't exist. also, lol @ both chrono trigger having good writing & thracia 776 not being the series' best integration of gameplay and story

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Iago getting the poo poo beaten out of him by Sakura is amazing because he deserves no better.
i hope she beat him up with the staff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how hinoka hasn't had a single line this entire finale

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why is the dialogue so bad
because the original dialogue was already bland fantasy heroics, and the translation is really bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm hesitant on kamui because that's a guy in the very next game.
yeah but it was also corrin's japanese name so clearly the original devs don't care that much about reusing names

that said kamui should be saved for revelations, the fact that it's an ainu name instead of a japanese one makes more sense in that route.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know if i was azura i might want to spend my last moments with my husband and two sons and not the random fuckhead that cried about songs for the past two years(?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I guess it's only to be expected, siding with the murderous invading gaijin and not beautiful and noble and proper not-Japan.

this is the dumbest of hot takes. and also racist. don't post it again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Conquest is fantastic to play by virtue of having vastly superior map design then pretty much any FE since Path of Radiance and making really good and interesting use of all of its gameplay gimmicks, and making enemies interesting in a way beyond just big stats.
it has some of the best maps in the series, but its map variety is for poo poo and it also has some really bad ones thrown in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arthur's legit one of the game's best characters writing-wise, his gag actually works because there's enough ways you can spin it and he has an actual motivation outside of spouting it, and he actually has some interesting relationships with some of the cast.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Also, Effie is pretty drat great as a unit, but her character design frustrates me. I can't tell if she's supposed to be 20, 50 or somewhere in between.
Somewhere in her mid 20s, I'd say.

Also, here's some art of Arthur and Effie by the game's artist, Yusuke Kozaki.

I like seeing them in casual clothes, more than anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

effie has the third or fourth highest defense growth in conquest and a great base, iunno how you could call her fragile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just feed owain every +magic stat booster in the game. There's 3 magic users total in the first gen of conquest and Elise and the other dark mage already have absurdly high magic, so who else even needs them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

aren't there any second seal mages, it's been so long since i played conquest i can't remember
there are but why would you do that

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes, Niles' and Camilla's reclass option is the Dark Mage line. The problem is that the people with Dark Mage/Troubadour as their reclass are almost always better in their native class lines, like Effie and Camilla. We'll see another case of "no seriously, why the gently caress is your reclass option a magic class when your magic growth is chicken fried rear end?" much later in Conquest
because most everyone's second seal option is flavor-based, not gameplay-based. iunno why people keep not getting that. effie has troubadour because elise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, ignoring heart seals Niles is the only bow user you get until you start promoting units, and even then only 4 units have the option to promote into a bow user (two mercenaries who can become bow knights, a ninja who can become a puppeteer, and Mozu who can become a merchant)

• Locked thread