Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

inthesto posted:

It's still a step up from FE12's character creation. It's nearly impossible to tell which traits correlate to which stats in that thing.

To be fair you can go off of what sounds cool and still come out good in that since there isn't even a bane option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Having just read through the Path of Radiance LP before seeing this thread the difference story quality so far is sure something. :stare:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but this story has a load of production issues, but that discussion's really for when we're balls-deep in Conquest since Birthright is mostly a middling Fire Emblem Story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Emperordaein posted:

Really? I'd be very interested in hearing about the issues Conquest's story had during development. Is there any place I can find out about them outside this thread?

We have the general Fire Emblem thread in Games, but the cliff notes version as I understand it is that they got a prolific writer to do the story outline, then tampered with said outline to fit the third "true" path in the game, which makes some things...contrived.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I coulda sworn Steel weapons only affected your ability to double and left your chances of being doubled alone.

Yeah, that's right like the description for Steel weapons say, it's -3 effective speed for the wielders chance to double, otherwise they would have just made it -3 Speed since steel weaponry already gives -5 avoid or something.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ohmygorgon posted:

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to have Fates be Order vs Chaos, considering Radiant Dawn already brought up the idea of order and chaos as energies in the world, just say that one kingdom is chock-full of one type and the other kingdom has the other.

Speaking of Radiant Dawn, for everyone who dislikes the story in Fates, it really isn't much worse than what has always been for Fire Emblem. I would say Radiant Dawn has a worse story than Fates.

But really, I never go to Fire Emblem for a gripping, or even coherent story, I go for good gameplay, and at the very least, Conquest has really good gameplay.

I dunno, I never expected a good story out of these games (or like 99% of games), but you can have a simple, well told story with likable characters, which a bunch of games do manage and is more important for a video game to nail IMO. Fates...yeah, poo poo starts speaking for itself after a point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

maids and butlers are cool classes and anime is the greatest thing humanity has ever achieved as a collective society

what about manga?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

To elaborate, bows are on the same part of the weapon triangle as axes, and bows are insanely strong in Fates.

I just kinda figured it was mostly because you get an axe-wielding prepremote that's pretty crazy busted against everything but magic for most of their post join time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's worth noting that Birthright Silias is just better than his Conquest counterpart for a reason we haven't been shown yet that gives him an absurdly strong start in this campaign for basically no reason. So yeah, Birthright Silias is a great unit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

That just makes him a good chauffeur. He'd only be a good unit if he could fight well on top of that.

I dunno, he's not my favorite unit and pretty mediocre overall IMO since there are three other fliers without reclassing, but saying a unit's only good if they can fight is kind of silly, given dancers/healers and rallybots and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Are those nineteen levels gonna really be much more than a +2 at best compared to other options?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In my Birthright Lunatic experience, Setsuna is pretty good for most of the game because even with her piddly strength growth she always doubles with the second strongest weapon type in the game, plus Quick Draw is effectively damage +8 on her.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh speaking of
Are there 'true hit' shenanigans in fates? Tae keeps saying dodge tanking is heavily nerfed in fates but never exactly why.

Yeah, pretty much. No ones 100% sure how it works now, but the basic gist from what I understand is that 1-50% hit rates work as displayed instead of the double number system, and that 51-99% have a skewed version but that it's less generous than True Hit from FE6-13 were.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Hinata is that sword user who shows up four chapters after you already have 2-3 established sword users. I'm sure he's ok, but by this point you have people who do what he does. Meanwhile, Oboro looks to fill a niche this team doesn't have as a durable infantry spear user.

...Huh, the only mounted unit on your team that isn't on a Pegasus is from Nohr. Do they not have regular horses in Hoshido? The lack of mounted axe, bow and magic users is a little sad.

It's basically a thing that Nohr and Hoshido get half of the standard FE classes and fill in the gaps with their own new ones. Nohr gets all the conventional medieval classes and wyverns since knights, and Hoshido gets the ones that can easily be repurposed, like ninjas (basically FE 9/10 thieves, but with cooler knives) and soldiers I guess?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wallet Inspector posted:

Archer suck and are bad in FE games, and no bow damage buff or terrain immunity is fixing that. That said, this level is all fliers, so they're much less bad in this one.

I had an effort post but it just seems easier to say you're wrong and bad at Fire Emblem (Fates).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I like that Zola actually has enough empathy to try saving Corrin, it's more of a morally gray spot than I expect from this game (re: not very).

Endorph posted:

most of the fe4 antagonists

Like half the protagonists are comically evil or literal devil worshippers?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

of the major fe4 antagonists the only ones like that are manfroy and julius. and julius is literally satan so he has an excuse.

The major ones are mostly good especially for an SNES FE, but you spend like 90% of gen 1 and 70% of gen 2 putting down evil assholes. Plus even if arvis is a good villain his theme is still https://youtu.be/bLSqiN9MWqA

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

I feel like this is missing out an entire complement of assholes like Blume or his comically assholish wife Hilda who made it their life's mission to abuse the poo poo out of a small child, or literally every identical evil devil-worshipper who spends their free time sacrificing children. If they don't count as major villains hardly anyone does because FE4 doesn't give us sympathetic or multilayered characterization of most villains outside the incestuous demon family.

fe4 occasionally strives to hit some subtle high points in its writing but it only really achieves that with arvis who gets relatively well-presented as a tortured soul who got lured into something extremely evil and Eldigan who is pretty much an archetypal Camus with bonus incest. Granted they're both quite well-written for a fire emblem villain but they're exceptions in FE4 not the rule.

You forgot Travant, the dude who exists to be the competently done version of Evil King Dad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

beat conquest with nothing but generics, also

and also a run where i immediately second sealed everyone regardless of how fitting their default second class was

conquest is challenging but you can beat it with whoever, especially since i imagine tae will be doing it on hard, not lunatic

I'm actually pretty interested what a capture-only run of Conquest Hard plays like, since even without obvious stuff like (mechanical spoilers)Haitaka, you get stuff like the samurai with the +10 damage taken/given, and Rallyman who'd probably be a better pick than half your available choices.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's only Rinkah that's a problem. Nohr has all the good axe users, for some reason. I mean, I'm sure it's because Nohr uses all the old classes and Hoshido uses different ones but still :shrug: anyhow.

I can't really blame the class when one of the axe users really really wants Oni Savage anyway. Rinkah is just kinda mediocre and weird, which isn't that exceptional for a FE unit but usually when they only give you one of a class without reclassing like say Canas the one unit is class.txt.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Even this chapter is kind of a joke the way you're "meant" do it, because Ryoma devours everything and Scarlet ruins everything except the bow users while taking no damage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I forgot to ask earlier, am I crazy for not using Scarlet and Ryoma as soon as I got them? I just held off since they seemed too powerful to use since they're so far ahead of everyone else.

I'm also a wuss who plays on Casual Normal Birthright though so it's not like it would've mattered though but still.

I benched Ryoma more or less until the endgame started, but Scarlet is insanely good because you can slap a Throwing Club on her, throw her into enemy waves, and she'll set up kills just as well as a Ninja would.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, it's nice to know that leveling Hayato up in my play though wasn't a waste after all. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Orochi really is based purely on the concept "no need to double if you can one-shot the enemy", while Hayato tends to favor "death of a thousand cuts". Late-game, Orochi is mostly useful to defeat Generals, because her immense magic stat is more than enough to rip through their HP, and because of Wary Fighter nobody can double them (or get doubled by them) anyway. I'm honestly not a big fan of most magic users in the game, at least as units.

(I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, Tae, but if it is I'll gladly remove it)

I wouldn't really consider it a huge one at least since you didn't elaborate, but, uh, i don't think anything gets Wary Fighter in Birthright. I don't remember it being something that slowed me down, at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's not like Fred was ever incompetent except for his terribad bases, and Chrom was deliberately written to, you know, be kinda dumb and overly blunt as an actual flaw.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

inthesto posted:

I think have all three weapons in the triangle isn't as good as it sounds on paper, since you can't really maintain good ranks in three different weapons at once. As long as you have two different weapons so you can at least stay neutral at all times, that's good enough.

That, combined with great knights having two weaknesses is kind of a problem. On the other hand, great knights loving rule and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

The whole weapon triangle control thing isn't a great deal since you're starting with Bronze, but on Birthright you get a ton of money so it's fairly trivial to forge a super bronze axe. And also on Birthright, enemies are hardly ever packing effective damage weapons, so Great Knight Silias' main flaw is being slightly worse at taking magic hits, which is pretty trivial when your only tank options are Scarlet, Rinkah, and Guard Naginata Oboro.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

I fell that a problem is: why the hell are kids even in this game?
In 4 and Awakening, massive amounts of the plot revolved around the kids. Seliph and Lucina are there leading armies and taking names because the machinations of their respective Dragon Satan killed their dads and plunged their countries into chaos, and they're going to make right again what went wrong.
All the kids in both games bear the scar of their parents dying before their time, of having to hide from either Loptr cultists or the Risen.

You literally can't not have Seliph or Lucina, Sigurd auto-marries Deirdre and Awakenings will force an S-rank on Chrom with a nameless, faceless extra if it has to, because their kids are so central to the story.

Why is Kana here? What does she add to the story, to the point of justifying the Hyperbolic Time Chamber?

Kids are in Fates because everyone really liked them (as characters and superfluous min/maxing), and IS likes making money and were afraid people wouldn't like Fates if it didn't have kids. At least that was the idea, since the general response was ambivalence and Fates sold gangbusters regardless.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey Tae, is there gonna be an option to unbench Ryoma once we hit the endgame? I voted for him a few times because he's really really overkill for 85% of Birthright (and Scarlet too, but she does the Oifey thing of feeding kills to low level units), and other people who played the game who voted probably did the same.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

So this run only has two more stages then? Getting the Rainbow Sage's power and then teleporting to Garon and shanking him?

We have the rest of the paralouges (one for every male unit and Azura) and we're basically at the outskirts of Nohr even when we come back.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's kind of lol-worthy that not only is Nohr a shithole in a way Thracia could only dream of (WE LITERALLY HAVE NO SUN, THATS WHY WE'RE THE DARK KINGDOM), but that the goddamn capital is overrun by the Obligatory Chapter 1 Fire Emblem Bandits.

Also take bets on how often this comes up in Conquest!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the main problem is that video games hardly ever have good stories, because even a lot of critically acclaimed books and other media are kinda mediocre. I think a decent chunk have well told stories, which is by fair the more important thing (look at how many people actually like freaking Shovel Knight/Plague of Shadows' stories), and the big way Fates dropped the ball was by not making more of its story basic poo poo like showing why people would be okay with a literal tyrant like with Ashnard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

If Garon's skills and stats (from way back in Chapter 12) are any indication, they put up with him solely because they have no choice due to him being literally invincible (I mean, the enemies are JUST NOW starting to approach his stats from then, and Tae's just beaten Chapter 24! On top of that, he's got his broken skills, one of which is enemy-exclusive, and probably gained like 5 points in every stat for no apparent reason since then). Not entirely sure how he actually has SUPPORTERS (willing ones, at least), but being invincible would certainly explain why he hasn't been assassinated yet, wouldn't it?

But Ashnard is literally invincible tho too and rides a not-manakete like a yoshi. My point is that PoR actually has instances where the people look to him as a hosed up bizzaro savior to a degree because he only cares about power rather than dumb titles which means anyone can rise up. Where Garon...yeah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the point is that it's a kinda silly taunt unless you literally breath fire or use fire magic, endorph. Which I don't agree with, that's probably the best line corrin gets for this whole game regardless.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Corrine, because I'm also boring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the idea is that it would make the writing less dumb by explaining things like how long ago in Nohr's history Garon went off the deep end, how Sumaragi was murdered in cold blood and the prince abducted without Hoshido launching an all-out assault against Nohr, etc. oh, and some kind of history of the continent of Fates. Which is wishful thinking.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but also good writing could have done that, or even adequate writing. I've mentioned it a few times, but a subplot of FE4 with the rival countries Leonster and Tharacia mirrors this game's somewhat, and it elaborates on:
- why the "evil" country wants to take over the good one
- presicely how lovely living in the "evil" country is
- why you'd keep the kid alive, besides not being King Evil

Like, Nohr is a shithole but they don't even try to explain that back in the plotdump early on.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

At least you can stuff luck stat boosters into Arthur to help slightly alleviate his luck problems as a unit. It's not like they're in super high demand for other units.

Even then Misfortunate is -5 Dodge, so you have to stuff him full of them since his miserable base Luck negates the first one. Misfortunate is just kinda a dumb skill since its effect is overkill on anything other than Spear Masters (who get +10 crit to go with their Dodge!) until endgame, while -5 Dodge is kinda overkill for a dude with 1 base Luck and a 10% growth.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

odin's growths make it better for him to go to the bench

Yeah, but owain owns tho, bad growths or no?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think i must be the only person in the world who doesn't like his whole darkness welling inside thing, and that's my cross to bear

but for real i had to bench him he just couldn't kill anything in my playthrough and i never really found myself missing him tbh

I just think he's funny because he has deliberately dumb lines with good VA, which kinda doesn't stand out in Awakening but kinda makes him top tier by default here. But yeah, for real though he isn't really very good at all, but every mage except Revelation Hayato and Leo aren't very good. Which is kinda hilarious.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

By the way, Tae, I notice that for character intros you're often (though not always) using their Hero's art rather than their official art from when fates was released. Mind is I ask what makes you decide when to use their Hero's art and when not (where applicable, those who don't appear in Hero's obviously have no Hero's art).

Virtually none of the characters who aren't on the cover ever had their official art released, the official website just has the mugshots for them. It exists, because Niles' showed up in the first Heroes trailer and I saw one of Oboro, but it's not readily available or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

Scratch what I said about Elise, Nyx is the true attender of the Lilina school of Nuke The Enemies And Burn The Ashes. If you think Nyx's skill growth sucks, play FE6: Lilina has a 20% Skill growth.

Lilina at least was in a game with Fire and Excalibur, and Sage gains were FE5-tier.

• Locked thread