Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
C-B-A

Perhaps I do spend too much time helping old ladies cross the path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, but owain owns tho, bad growths or no?

i think i must be the only person in the world who doesn't like his whole darkness welling inside thing, and that's my cross to bear

but for real i had to bench him he just couldn't kill anything in my playthrough and i never really found myself missing him tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

C-B-A

gently caress i love arthur

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think i must be the only person in the world who doesn't like his whole darkness welling inside thing, and that's my cross to bear

but for real i had to bench him he just couldn't kill anything in my playthrough and i never really found myself missing him tbh

I just think he's funny because he has deliberately dumb lines with good VA, which kinda doesn't stand out in Awakening but kinda makes him top tier by default here. But yeah, for real though he isn't really very good at all, but every mage except Revelation Hayato and Leo aren't very good. Which is kinda hilarious.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Tae posted:

C-B-A

I'd snatch a cup of water from a guy who was on fire if Lady Elise were thirsty.

Well, okay. :allears:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
By the way, Tae, I notice that for character intros you're often (though not always) using their Hero's art rather than their official art from when fates was released. Mind is I ask what makes you decide when to use their Hero's art and when not (where applicable, those who don't appear in Hero's obviously have no Hero's art).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

C-B-A

Arthur is the best character and should be the protagonist of Fates

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

By the way, Tae, I notice that for character intros you're often (though not always) using their Hero's art rather than their official art from when fates was released. Mind is I ask what makes you decide when to use their Hero's art and when not (where applicable, those who don't appear in Hero's obviously have no Hero's art).

Virtually none of the characters who aren't on the cover ever had their official art released, the official website just has the mugshots for them. It exists, because Niles' showed up in the first Heroes trailer and I saw one of Oboro, but it's not readily available or whatever.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Virtually none of the characters who aren't on the cover ever had their official art released, the official website just has the mugshots for them. It exists, because Niles' showed up in the first Heroes trailer and I saw one of Oboro, but it's not readily available or whatever.

Given that he used Arthur's and Kaden's official art (for example) I don't think that's the reason.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe 2 characters outside of the royal family have official full body art, birthright was mostly 4koma art. I pick whatever's cool for Conquest because there's just more cipher/heroes art for them than the birthright characters.

Yes, Fates still doesn't have full body art for most of the characters 2 years after release but all of Shadows of Valencia does.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
To be fair, the 4koma stuff is charming and actually makes Fates likeable

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Quick Update

Let's take a quick look at what Nohr offers in their stores. Elise being in charge really helps me out today.

Discounts on Heal Staves and that Freeze staff saves me a lot of money, despite just getting 10k. Everything else is the same as Birthright so far at store level 1.

The Nohrian weapon shop is basically what you expect from regular Fire Emblem games.

You got bronze, iron, steel tiers for every weapon and two Javalins which will be key later on for Silas and Effie.

Fruit Knife-D rank, 4 mt, 85 hit, use as item to recover 10 HP, debuffs -2 SKL, -3 DES/RES

Fruit Knife is a slightly better Iron Dagger because debuffing accuracy is better than debuffing magic, but not good enough to spend 1800 on it.

Nosferatu-D rank, 7 mt, 70 hit, -20 avoid, Dark Mages only, cannot make follow up attacks, trigger critical hits or special skills

So the literal best spell from Awakening got heavily nerfed in Fates to the point that it's questionable to use, especially since it costs a whooping 4k gold. You're better off cheaper and stronger by forging two Thunder tomes together.

I'll take a quick trip to get Mozu. Nothing changes from the Birthright version, so no sudden Poison Strikes on the Faceless.

Mozu, Odin, and Elise got the bulk of the levels so I didn't get too far ahead. Funnily enough, that Brass Naginata is extremely powerful for Nohr because of the natural +1 DEF/RES that Hoshidan lances have.

Building a Smithy after that Dragon Point for the paralogue mission.

Forging to help out the team

And now Odin can actually kill things reliably.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Not chuuni enough, we need to go deeper

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You should have named it Blazing Sword, to fit with Owain's gimmick of referencing previous FE titles through attacks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I just think he's funny because he has deliberately dumb lines with good VA, which kinda doesn't stand out in Awakening but kinda makes him top tier by default here. But yeah, for real though he isn't really very good at all, but every mage except Revelation Hayato and Leo aren't very good. Which is kinda hilarious.

My Leo was adequate at least, i wanted to use all the royals tho so I wasn't gonna bench him no matter what

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
While Odin's growths are shaky, getting +2 speed and +2 defense in three levels is a nice little boost to his endurance. If he keeping getting speed he'll be fine. Odin doesn't need much magic to be useful, but he needs a ton of speed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

Forging to help out the team

And now Odin can actually kill things reliably.
Of course, since Fire can't crit, Odin's passive does nothing for it :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Odin's bigger issue is that he can't hit anything unless he gets his face right up to people. A similar reason why Arthur is so awful to use, as he was getting sub 75% hit rate against the Faceless unless I used the Bronze Axe.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, Descriptions

Some of these card titles are just boring and bland.

And she has carried out my order in an alarmingly competent fashion, no less. Heh heh heh... well done, child.

Well, I'll just have to give my dear daughter a truly agonizing mission now, won't I?

*Somebody knocks on the door*

...You may enter.
King Garon, Corrine has returned. It seems she managed to quell the rebellion without sacrificing a single life. She has requested an audience with you, my liege. What should I tell her?
Tell her I received the message and will be there momentarily.
Consider it done, your majesty. *Leaves*

So if Garon has spies that even Iago doesn't have access to, he must know about Lilith. Right?

*The family gathers in front of Garon*

I have returned, Father.
And gloriously so, I might add. Iago told me of your impressive feat. Stopping a rebellion without taking a single life is no small accomplishment. You've done well, Corrine. I am... proud of you.

If nothing else, Garon is a great actor.

As promised, I now welcome you back into the royal family. Well done, my daughter.
Thank you, Father! I can't tell you how much this means to me.

Why

I told you all would be well in the end. Good job, Corrine.
Thanks, Xander!

My sources tell me Corrine did not carry out her mission alone.
Iago! That was unnecessarily cruel, even for you.
Is this true, Corrine. Did you or did you not face the Ice Tribe alone?
... It is true. I did not face them alone. I set out on my own, as ordered, but along the way I ran into trouble.

Please stop snitching on your friends

I'm sorry for defying you in that regard, Father. I beg your forgiveness.
So you defined my holy orders and involved not only retainers but also your sister?
This behavior simply cannot be tolerated. Right, King Garon? she betrayed the wishes of the divine dragon, Anankos. Such sacrilege demands a swift and severe punishment.

It's actually kinda funny that despite Iago being the biggest slimeball rear end in a top hat, he's fiercely loyal to Garon's well-being. That or he hates young people.

Stop it, Iago! That's never gonna happen! I won't let it! Corrine never asked us to follow her - we did that on our own! It's not her fault!
So... s-so if the punishment is death, you'll have to kill me too.

She's had practice.

Quiet, both of you. Father, if you must punish someone, punish me. It was I who told the others to tag along and help Corrine with her mission. If death is the price for this indiscretion, it is I, and I alone, who will pay it.
Hmmm...
Father, kill me or kill no one. That is all there is to it.
Enough.

Though it was not exactly as I requested, she did accomplish her mission. By the grace of Anakos, I shall let this pass. She is, after all, still my daughter.
King Garon! You can't mean that!
Thank you, Father! And you, Xander. Thank you for looking out for me, even at the risk of your own life.
Think nothing of it, little princess. Such is the duty of an older brother.
I must admit, my child, I never thought you would pull off such a grand feat.

A new mission? So soon?
Skills like yours need to be put to good use. I'd like you to head for Notre Sagesse. I need you to capture that territory and bring it under Nohrian rule.
Notre Sagesse, eh? As you wish, Father.

Oh, we finally face Hoshidans now?

The Hoshidans are taking steps to topple Nohr and all we hold dear. Such bad seeds must not be allowed to take root. Head there immediately and eradicate all Hoshidan soldiers you find along the way.
Y-you want me to fight against the Hoshidan army?!

Now here's a question: Is she questioning the size of the army she's facing, or that she's surprised she's actually going to fight the opposition?

That's not a problem, is it?

N-no problem at all. I am a Nohrian, through and through. I will carry out your mission without fail, Father.
Good. Do not let me down, daughter. I'm counting on you.
I won't fail you, Father.

*Some time after the meeting*

Take care, Corrine. Even when we are apart, know we are still with you in spirit.
Oh, it just doesn't seem fair! Going on a mission like that with such a small army.
I'd go with you, but Father tasked us with a mission of our own. I really wish there was something we could do to help...
Don't worry, Camilla. We'll be fine on our own. Right, Elise?

With me and my retainers at your side, we'll be back home in no time flat!
Elise is going too? Now I'm really worried. It was nice knowing you, Corrine.
HEY! That's not funny, Leo! Why would you say such a terrible thing?!
Ha ha, he's just trying to get a rise out of you, Elise. You know I'm counting on you.
Thanks, Corrine! That's why you're my favorite! Because you aren't mean and stupid like Leo!

It's actually quite impressive.
See, Elise? I'm not mean at all. I just said you impress me.

"Technically an adult"

*sigh* Corrine, listen well. The mysterious Rainbow Sage resides in Notre Sagesse. He grants divine power to those he deems worthy. Seek him, if you have the courage.
Wow, is that so? I never knew such a being existed, much less in Notre Sagesse.
But wait... if you know about him, does that mean YOU received divine power?!

"It was bullshit. But I'm not going to tell you that."

Th-that's incredible.
It was a great honor.
However, be aware that you will have to face severe trials first. If you decide to seek out the sage's trials, make sure you're prepared.
I see. Thank you for your advice, Xander. I must become as strong as possible so that I can end this war once and for all. I have no choice but to seek out the sage and face whatever trials he has in store.
As expected. I look forward to seeing that new power when you return safely.
Thank you, Xander. Well, I suppose I had better get going. Good-bye, everyone!
Best of luck, Corrine.
Oh, my little Corrine... please be careful.

This place again. I almost fell asleep here last time.

We are. The road that leads to port is on the other side.
Amazing. It kind of looks like a gigantic sleeping dragon.
Heehee, you're so keen, Corrine! That place is called Fort Dragonfall.
It's some big 'ol dragon that died a long time ago.
Fort Dragonfall... Tell me more, Elise.
Sure! Well, rumor has it this dragon was incredibly powerful. They say when it died, it's body eventually became this very fort!
So this was a dragon from a long time ago... How very awe inspiring.

It's a shame Iago hates Corrine because he can just trap-kill the Hoshidans inside there like last time.

It is, isn't it?
But the fort is now occupied by the Hoshidan army. We'll have to fight them off if we want to get through.
Fate is cruel, isn't it? Well, I suppose we have no choice. We must get to Notre Sagesse so I can complete my mission and find the sage. I'll have to face the Hoshidan army eventually. It's now or never. I'm ready. I... I can do this.
Understood. In that case, let's prepare for battle before they spot us.

Well, it's more interesting than a bunch of skill-less Faceless at least. And there's Azura there, I guess. Huh.

Decision time-Mozu is level 4 while the rest of the party is at least 9. The enemies are also all in the party's range, so she's basically way under-leveled. My preference is keeping Mozu off Conquest because of difficulty in feeding her EXP and it keeps a slot away from the rest of Conquest characters.

Unless you feel really strongly about keeping Mozu and voting for her, cause Archer Mozu is not possible until after this mission.

Also keep in mind keeping Mozu now means somebody is out for this mission.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I never used Mozu on Conquest and that's where she really shines, so I'd like to say keep her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I used Archer Mozu and while she was very good I think it's more interesting to show off characters we didn't see in Birthright so get rid of her

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Conquest lacks a lot of archer units so keep Mozu unless we decided to recruit a certain redhead merchant and show her off.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Conquest lacks a lot of archer units so keep Mozu unless we decided to recruit a certain redhead merchant and show her off.
Tae doesn't have any of the DLC outside of the free stuff.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

AradoBalanga posted:

Time to send Tae an e-shop gift card care package.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Use Mozu, you wuss

Also, marry her to Arthur because their support is hilarious and it's pretty much the only shipping fanart for Fates in existence

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

Use Mozu, you wuss

Also, marry her to Arthur because their support is hilarious and it's pretty much the only shipping fanart for Fates in existence

Eh, you're not looking hard enough

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, I thought it was some weird Midori reference. And no, I said it before but I have 0 of the paid DLC and don't plan to. If I spend any money towards Fire Emblem, it's the next game's dlc maybe.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I happen to like Mozu, and she's handy when you manage to get her caught up, so (in spite of how underlevelled she is right now) I'm voting to keep her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We've seen Mozu, and she's already lost her home village twice and been conscripted once. Bench her.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

Elise is going too? Now I'm really worried. It was nice knowing you, Corrine.
:iceburn:

The dialogue in Fates has no shortage of issues, but occasionally they still have some fun lines.

As for Mozu, I made a point of using her and marrying her to Ryoma and Xander in my Birthright and Conquest runs so she can be a proper Murderqueen. But for the sake of seeing other units, give her a seat on the bench.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Keep her

She is good as an archer, and you need all the good characters you can get for Conquest.

Edit:

Tae posted:

Guys, you have to also mention who you're taking out because Mozu's the odd girl out for deployment.

Drop Arthur

Since we are getting two axe units in the next map.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 23, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Eh, you're not looking hard enough

I stand corrected.

I still like the Arthur/Mozu pairing, though. Azama/Setsuna is good as hell too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Oh, I thought it was some weird Midori reference. And no, I said it before but I have 0 of the paid DLC and don't plan to. If I spend any money towards Fire Emblem, it's the next game's dlc maybe.
My bad, didn't mean to confuse you like that.

Although speaking of Echoes, apparently one of the planned DLCs ties into the Fire Emblem Cipher card game, so that might be interesting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Let's keep Mozu because Mozu is great and replace Silas because he's boring.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 23, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are enough good characters that we should drop Mozu so that we can use them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Guys, you have to also mention who you're taking out because Mozu's the odd girl out for deployment.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Bench Mozu so that everyone else gets some screentime.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Keep Mozu how could you even ask that question. Also bench Odin.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Oh, right. Well, to clarify my vote: Bench Odin. It's not like he's a very good unit, and you can just switch someone else out if you actually need magic later. (I'd vote to bench Niles, but there are chests on this map and nobody else knows Locktouch.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there an option to bench Odin and Mozu and show off Niles ability on the next map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there an option to bench Odin and Mozu and show off Niles ability on the next map?

From Tae's wording, I think he can deploy all but one of his units on this map.

• Locked thread