Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's still a step up from FE12's character creation. It's nearly impossible to tell which traits correlate to which stats in that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Geostomp posted:

Neither nation is well written, but I tolerate Hoshido even less. Nohr's obsession with being as obviously evil as possible is kind of funny, while Hosido's Mary Sue-esque perfection gets old fast.

The two nations in Fates are just as cartoonishly good/evil as any other pair of rival states in the FE series. It's just that when you're on the side of the bad guys, the writers are incapable of making the characters look sympathetic, so the whole thing looks really god drat stupid as a result.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Also, pair up blips decay at the rate of one per turn if the pair doesn't see combat. Again, almost completely irrelevant, but there is some kind of mathematical consequence.

And who would have guessed that the beautiful people are good and the ugly people are evil in a Fire Emblem game :monocle:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One thing about Fates in general that bothers me is just how incredibly good all the royal characters are. Ryoma is especially blatant about it, but they all just get good bases, good growths, and half of them also get absurdly good unique equipment. In my opinion, they cross over from "good and fun to use" to "good and boring to use".

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Emperordaein posted:

So if you put any kind of thought into this, the barrier kind of has horrifying implications about potential control of the populace, the nobility's obsession with order and maintaining a regime, and all that jazz. In the hands of a good writer, this could lead to a fantastic dichotomy between the two nations. Think Ultima VII: Part 2, and how it explored the evil that can come with devoting one's self to pure order and pure chaos. This would be a great angle to take for the story, right?

This would be demanding far too much out of any Fire Emblem game, much less Fates.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Cythereal posted:

I really enjoyed the Awakening LP. This... it starts with anime French maids as a class in combat and goes downhill from there.

Why are turn-based squad tactics games like Fire Emblem and X-COM so rare?

It's a niche genre but I definitely wouldn't call it rare. Shining Force existed back in the day and there's also the Ogre/FFT franchise too. There was quite an influx of them both on GBA and DS though they tended to be mediocre at best. Yggdra Union and Luminous Arc pop intoin immediately.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Card Hunter is a really cool F2P one that pretends to be a session of D&D, and Atlas Reactor is the genre crossed with a MOBA.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Devil Survivor series, Metal Gear Acid, Wasteland 3, Invisible INC, etc.

I play lots of sprg, there's always 1-2 every few months and even more if you broaden to squad based turn based combat like Divinity: Original Sin.

That reminds me that I recently played one on Steam called Hellenica, which looked okay since it was deliberately copying FFT's aesthetic l, but turned out to be not fun to play due to being overly simple.

Anyways, I've done a lot of ragging on this game so far, but I will day that Conquest has by far my favorite map design in the entire series. Fates in general also achieves a nice balance among stats where speed is no longer the undisputed champion, plus futzing around with skills and reclassified is fun. Story is a shame, but it's easy enough to ignore and skip on repeat playthroughs.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I, for one, would pay to see a Fire Emblem game written by Kiyoshi Shigematsu

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AradoBalanga posted:

Except, anyone who has written even a short story will tell you that is not how you write story progression. Mikoto was only just introduced to us as a character in the last chapter, let alone as Corrin's biological mother. And now she's dead, because the plot thread's ending has already been written and that is where the story must go.

The worst part is that this isn't the only time Fates plays the "character you don't give a poo poo about dies and it's treated like a big deal" card

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Emperordaein posted:

So I really enjoy Fates' version of reclassing. I was never a fan of the mechanic previously, since i've held the belief that reclassing kinda removes part of the individuality of units

On the other hand, reclassing gets you shenanigans like General Catria snapping entire maps in half over her knee.

Also you can still grind support ranks in Conquest. Just do the free DLC map repeatedly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One of the things I can't stand about Birthright is just how many absolutely lousy characters they dump on you in the beginning. I still think Hana is the best combat character we have so far (obvious exception to Corrin), and that says a lot

e: I don't think you mentioned it, but if you dick around long enough, an outlaw will come and swipe that armorslayer. The time limit is very lax, though, and even if he does grab it, you have more time still to punch him in the face before he absconds with it.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 22, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bruceski posted:

It feels like a lot of Birthright's shtick for characters is "can be very good if they luck into a couple of low-growth stats, but left wanting otherwise". Kaze needs a bit of strength, Hana needs hp/def (doesn't have to become a tank, just enough to not die when sheezed on), and so on.

Sometimes I feel like the stats on Birthright units were Dawn Brigade rejects that somebody found lying around and decided to recycle

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Mozu is a fun unit since Aptitude means she works well in just about any class, so you get to just spin the wheel and see what she turns into (even if it requires some support grinding).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Glazius posted:

Is her miss animation just backing away and refusing to attack? That's actually pretty nifty.

If I recall correctly, that's actually just the regular beginning animation of her attack.

The fun part is that if you take other characters and give them the villager class, they'll do it too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oboro is a great character because you can toss her into any class for shits and giggles, has a cool design, and has a two-dimensional personality (compared to most other character's one).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FELD1 posted:

Ninjas as a class have really good avoid as far as I remember. Kagero's speed just enhances that, and she basically is a complete rear end-kicker. Cool design and personality too. Great character overall. I hope she doesn't get benched.

The problem is that due to the way avoid and true hit are calculated in this game, you can't dodge-tank in this game like you could with FE 7-10. With a pair up and good avoid, you can gamble on not dying in one hit, but any more than that is inviting disaster.

As somebody who hates how good dodging was in previous Fire Emblem games, this is a pretty welcome change to me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
When I played through Birthright, I actually did manage to kill Garon on this map. I believe it involved switching Oboro to oni savage and pairing her up with Rinkah to get as much Defense as possible. It took forever and I chewed through a bunch of staves to do it (and I think Oboro even promoted during the whole thing), but it was one of those "huh, I might actually be able to do this, time to find out" things.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Azura is a fun character because either you use her as a singer which is already great, or you take advantage of her beast mode growths and reclass her into something else.

I hope there will be some chances to reclass characters later on in the thread, since Azura is one of the more fun characters to screw around with.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Cythereal posted:

...The gently caress, Fire Emblem fans? The only reason I put up with Tharja at all was because some of Noire's supports were funny.

She's obsessed with the player self-insert and barely wears anything. That's literally all it takes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CptWedgie posted:

Besides, Azura's plenty high level right now (she is literally the highest-level unit on Tae's team), and she doesn't really NEED to be high-level (or even up-to-date) to fulfill her primary function; I'm not advocating dropping her PERMANENTLY, just, as you said, bringing in one of the other units instead of her for a map or two and train them so they can at least COMPETE.

Is this your first SRPG LP or something

The last thing on anyone's mind when party voting is optimization

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ajkalan posted:

Yep, that looks like every attempt I made at using Rinkah beyond the intro chapters. She and the RNG aren't on good terms.

Every team has its Vaike, I suppose.

Why does this series hate axes so much :(

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hoshido seems to have a lot of the Dawn Brigade syndrome from the gamecube FE: Growths that are typically at odds with what they're typically supposed to do.

And like the Dawn Brigade, it works better for some than it does for others :v:

At least with the Dawn Brigade, you can understand why it was designed that way. You were supposed to hit the caps on their low cap-high growth stats, and then use bonus experience to guarantee their other stats. It didn't actually work for the most part, but you could see the vision.

Birthright is just bizarre, and frequently the class you want to switch a character to most isn't readily available.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So we're only gonna mess with heart seals for now?

It's understandable that OP wouldn't want to grind out support ranks, but messing with friendship and partner seals opens up so many doors.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I married Scarlet on my Birthright run, and the support is actually surprisingly nice. She's a pretty good unit, though kind of a boring mom.

Ryoma's boring. Maybe one day I'll try reclassing him to something really goofy, but that would require replaying Birthright or Revelations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm personally in favor of using heart seals on Azura and Ryoma for no reason beyond "let's gently caress with units that clearly weren't meant to be hosed with and see what happens"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Scarlet's support owns because it's basically just her going nuts with a Bedazzler

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Not obsessively capturing unique bosses even though you're not going to use them? For shame.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RareAcumen posted:

Shop inventories rotate if you do enough battles in between right?

They update when you upgrade them, and store upgrades are gated by what chapter you're on.

Also, I voted to class change Azura purely for shits and giggles, especially since Birthright is the path where it's very easy to get away without her singing ability. If friendship/partner seals were up, I'd have suggested making her a cavalier with Silas, since oni savage and fighter aren't available to her on this path. Oh well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

The only thing I'll say that is that people really abandoned Rinkah when Scarlet came around. Only one Axe maiden in their hearts, I see.

Rinkah is a tired archetype who also makes a crappy mom.

Scarlet has a bedazzler and she'll never stop using it.

It's not a hard choice.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Endorph posted:

here's your postmortem: the game had 20 separate writers. 20 people. for comparison, path of radiance had 4. imagine 20 people all trying to give their own ideas for how a story should progress. now imagine those 20 people trying to work within the context of a video game, that has to have battles to go with every plot beat. now imagine those 20 people trying to tell three separate but intertwining stories. now imagine those 20 people having to write 80+ characters. now imagine those 20 people trying to keep any of that consistent between them.

Jesus, and I thought the Mass Effect series had a bad case of writing schizophrenia

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Any other thoughts on this?

For promotions, I say do a thing where you promote the 100% keepers (i.e. Corrin, Oboro) and put up two or three for vote.

And definitely do the Steroid Redemption again. Vaike taking all the drugs and still getting benched will always be hilarious.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I know this drat map like the back of my hand, due to using it to grind supports all the time.

It can get real drat hard.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Would suggesting great lord for Azura be too cruel?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's so damning how every time Fates tries to pull on the player's heartstrings, it falls flat on its face. When Kaze and Flora died in my Birthright run, my only reaction was "This is contrived and I don't care".

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think have all three weapons in the triangle isn't as good as it sounds on paper, since you can't really maintain good ranks in three different weapons at once. As long as you have two different weapons so you can at least stay neutral at all times, that's good enough.

That, combined with great knights having two weaknesses is kind of a problem. On the other hand, great knights loving rule and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MightyPretenders posted:

Corrin marries Scarlet, or else he doesn't get married for a long time.

Seconding this, because Scarlet owns and she deserves it.

Plus, it's Birthright. It's not like we need to optimize the kids.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Since everyone else is rightfully bagging on the writing:

Kana looks weird as hell with red hair.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I always do the paralogues as early as I can, and it makes the early ones real hard, since the prepomoted enemies will always be there. On the other hand, they drop so much experience that it makes the middle chapters a ton easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I always enjoy messing around with Kana's stats more than any other generation 2 kid. It probably helps that his/her baseline growths are so good that most parents will work.

Female Kana also has my favorite support in the game.

• Locked thread