Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Camel Pimp posted:

I have a hard time finding a good niche for Kana, mainly because their growths are almost too balanced. Although depending on how you built your Corrin and who you married, Kana often makes a better Dragonstone user.

Typically what I'll do is pick a parent first, and then fit Kana into a niche based on the growths they'll receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

BlackPersona posted:

I dunno, seems like Kana going to Swordmaster is the only logical choice. I mean, not like we ever got any natural Samurai or Swordmasters right? :v:

The other four classes are already represented, so may as well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AradoBalanga posted:

We betrayed Nohr and now everyone there has to be insane and/or idiotic in order to justify Corrin fighting them because the plot says so. Except Charlotte and Benny, who were just working for their paychecks so they get to live.

You say that like Corrin has to leave in order for everyone to start acting like a moron.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ajkalan posted:

A child's growth rates are an average of their base growths and those of their variable parent, and their starting stats are based off of these averaged growths. Kids are no longer superhumans here, and can be screwed if you give them a parent with poisonously bad growths.

I really think it's more interesting this way, since optimizing children is fun for nerds like me. Unfortunately, it does mean some kids will be mediocre at best and some parents will end up hamstringing any child they have.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Considering how Fates's writing has been going so far, not actively detracting from the plot is adding to the story at this point

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Cythereal posted:

With all this plot stuff around Azura, does anything change if Corrin marries her? Or is she off-limits due to plot?

Azura is not off limits at all, and I think she's even the canon wife for male Corrin.

I have no idea how this affects the plot because after I finished conquest I refused to read any more of the plot

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I agree with almost every criticism of Fates's story in this thread, and I've still played through Conquest four times, with a fifth in progress and also a gimmick generics-only run of Birthright.

This game has a bad story, even by FE's dismally low standards, but it's still extremely fun to play and has the best overall design in the series. If it had free class changing from FE11 and 12, there wouldn't even be a question in my head.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

LEGO Genetics posted:

Fates in its infinite wisdom gave us just enough husband/wife combos to where if Male Corrin marries one of them there won't be enough to get all the kids unless he marries a Corrinsexual. Apparently they didn't learn this lesson from Awakening I guess.

Corrin also has the choice of marrying one of the children.

Don't think about it too hard. Or at all, really.

TheKingofSprings posted:

4 and 5 are both really cool conceptually and they tackle very different concepts FE4 feeling like a truly epic thing, where Thracia goes off in almost the exact opposite direction and becomes about trying to build a resistance from the scraps you can steal while barely making it out alive.

I hope both games get a remake.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and would be genuinely be excited on all counts for a pair of Judgral remakes the second coming of the Marty Party

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

chiasaur11 posted:

Do any Birthright maps really deserve more respect than that?

God speed you, black emperor.

It's Kaze's kid, so this map is actually available on Conquest too

But yes, clowning maps is universally hilarious, even if this one is easy by design

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Stoneborns are just loving rude enemies in general and I never enjoy fighting them.

At least they don't do effect damage against fliers, I guess.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

I roll a dice so no one's hands are marked when Elise or Mozu is picked

I can't fault this reasoning, and it's all the more shame that they're two of the best mothers in the game. Mozu, at least, I can kind of see being just a small person in their early 20s. There's really no way to rationalize Elise.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Junpei posted:

Also! Hoshidan non-royal cast age headcanon go!

Everyone is an adult of approximately my age. Some of them are just taller or shorter than others.

My fragile psyche refuses to entertain any other possibilities.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Growth rates in Fates are pretty fine across the board. Getting three to five stats per level feels about right.

I'm even doing a generics-only (plus Corrin and Orochi) run in Birthright right now, and it's still very doable. I've almost caught up with the LP, and the stuff a generics-only run forces you to make some strange decisions and change how you approach some maps.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ballistician is cool as poo poo, but the part that damns it in my eyes is that it doesn't get experience for using the ballista command (or for the bonus damage from opportunity shot). If you want your ballista to be a ballista, he's naturally going to fall behind in levels.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I wish I could say Fates tries to make you care with Lilith dies, but it really doesn't. Corrin gets choked up over the 100% random death of a non-character who said like three things at the beginning of the game and hasn't said anything since. Nevermind that Lilith was one of Corrin's servants who randomly turned into a dragon and nobody thought that was weird either.

it sucks because Lilith is hilariously adorable, but she's among the crappiest plot devices in Fates's writing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Maybe it's just me, but saying you're going to burn a person to the ground just makes you sound stupid rather than threatening.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Endorph posted:

im fairly certain it is possible to burn a person. perhaps, by tying them to a lot of wooden things, and then setting those things on fire. i wonder if anyone has ever invented that.

My point is that the expression "burned to the ground" is an expression applied to buildings, not people. Saying it to a person sounds incredibly odd.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
And this is what happens when you try to drop in a cookie cutter "emotional" moment when you don't do any of the actual groundwork to set it up

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Yeesh, a lot of your level ups make my generics look good by comparison. Lucky for you this is happening in Birthright and not Conquest.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Carlosologist posted:

your Corrin's poor stat gains just prove that F!Corrin is better, much like F!Robin was

Female Corrin gets Male Kana, and Male Kana does not get the awesome support with Midori.

Therefore, point goes to Male Corrin.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
On my Birthright run, the first move was Hero Corrin planting a killer axe in Xander's dumb face and that was all he wrote.

This map must be hilariously easy if you have a beast killer on hand.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Carlosologist posted:

we're through the looking glass, people :allears:

Lancer is absolutely necessary for Conquest, but I've sometimes put my Corrin into Ninja for more debuffs

The seal skills definitely ease the pain, but the game is very much doable without them

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
At least Conquest has the courtesy to tell you right off the bat that the plot is going to be incredibly stupid.

Since I played Conquest first, I learned that Faceless were nasty pieces of work, and was surprised at how completely toothless they were in Birthright.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One of Conquest's small mercies is that it gives you the most enjoyable royal and retainers right off the bat. Arthur's easily the most fun character in the game, and all three of them are pretty solid units to boot (though Arthur's life becomes a lot easier if you change him to anything else).

Endorph posted:

I like seeing them in casual clothes, more than anything.

It's kind of sad that, outside of the royals, there's a dearth of fanart for this game, even though this isn't technically fanart. The world deserves more Arthur, and Effie is pretty dang cool too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Emperordaein posted:

That's why he can get strong enough to reach his true calling by promoting into a Hero.

As much as berserkers are generally better than heroes, it feels weird to not turn Arthur into a hero.

Also, I just remembered Arthur's one true weakness: He's not wearing a thong like fighters are supposed to.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Effie has absolutely absurd growths, and when I looked at the chart of growth rates, I saw her row and immediately said "yes this is my baby momma"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The way I always did this map was piggyback Effie onto Silas and have them beeline for the top village while Niles and Elise go for the left one.

Also, Odin's kid loving rules and seconding that we get her (and give her the only correct mom)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

C-B-A

Perhaps I do spend too much time helping old ladies cross the path.

Arthur is the best character and should be the protagonist of Fates

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
To be fair, the 4koma stuff is charming and actually makes Fates likeable

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Use Mozu, you wuss

Also, marry her to Arthur because their support is hilarious and it's pretty much the only shipping fanart for Fates in existence

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Eh, you're not looking hard enough

I stand corrected.

I still like the Arthur/Mozu pairing, though. Azama/Setsuna is good as hell too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Put in Mozu, bench Odin

I didn't play Awakening and I understand that a lot of people like Odin for being Owain, but man he's just so bad in this game

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Nyx can at least use the witch's mark, which goes a long ways towards making her better than Odin.

Granted, there's better choices for the witch's mark.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I started a new file to play along with the thread, and I'm noticing the beginning of the game is a ton easier if you use the DLC classes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That's incredibly weird, because I always find that the first group of spears and archers are more than happy to butt heads with Effie (who, to nobody's surprise is your most useful unit for the first few chapters), and then get easily cleaned up by the rest. Hell, it's even a decent place to feed Mozu a few kills.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hunt11 posted:

This is also one of the best maps in the game.

Edit: Seeing that the tactical screen does already have some of the information I want to talk about I will add a bit more unless Tae wants it gone. The map encourages you to push out with optional objectives and while it does put more risk at the start of the map, it also means that there is less pressure on your position towards the end.

This is one of two maps that always makes me sweat when I play it, and is consequently one of my two favorite maps in the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Conquest classic would be fine if you still had access to battle saves. As it is, I play on casual and still reset if somebody eats a KO.

In fact, this upcoming is exactly why I had to stop playing on classic; I got tired of resetting back to the start 7 or 8 turns in.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Normally I don't use prepromotes until they're at a more appropriate level in the game, but trying to do this map with Camilla borders on impossible.

I would have reset for the dracoshield, though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I never played Awakening but I have a tendency to skim support conversations regardless. Very few in Fates stuck out to me, though at this point Arthur/Mozu deserves special mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've really never gotten much mileage out of Camilla's retainers. since their STR growths are right at the coin flip threshold, I'll attribute it to luck, but I've always found them easy to replace.

Camilla I find boring for similar reasons to Ryoma: good out of the box, good down the line. Since Conquest is a harder game overall, I can't blame anyone for leaning on her, but I typically pass on her. Probably because her character is so blatantly embarrassing.

• Locked thread