Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

RareAcumen posted:

He can, someone else mentioned it happening on their playthrough.

As someone who started up his very first run of this game today, I see it happening. Ryoma got the boss to a few hp left before I "secured" the kill.

It is one thing to see the story of this game in LP form, it is another to experience it on your own. The first five chapters have been... something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The low hp growths are compensated by the wealth of passive skills that reduce damage dealt. Several support classes, like Troubadours, get damage reduction skills, so putting them in the right spot vastly reduces the damage your front line units take.

Oh, that explains why Rinkah's strength wasn't going up for me in the first five chapters, her growth is terrible.

VVVV: Elise is goddamn amazing, especially with her personal skill. If you move her up at the beginning of a push and move around her, she'll keep units healthy even if she isn't healing every turn. Also, a mounted healer is always good in my book.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2017

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I was very worried about the supports being dull and uninteresting after hearing all the flak this game's plot got from people, but I've genuinely enjoyed several supports so far. Some work went into localizing the supports so Americans would get the humor, and I appreciate that.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Woof, that HP growth. I know she's a speedster, but until you have a large enough squad to cover her she's going to be a liability.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tae posted:

Orochi

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 10
MAG: 80
SKL: 60
SPD: 30
LCK: 40
DEF: 25
RES: 55

Hey, I think I found Lilina's big sister.

Holy crap, what is up with the Hoshido stat growth?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I actually turned Mozu into the other archer promotion class in this game and she's been incredibly useful on the Conquest side. She's not quite Donny level in terms of durability but she's fast enough and lucky enough to avoid most damage thrown her way. Also, turning her into an archer lets her pick off weakened enemies without putting herself into too much trouble.

Fates making Aptitude into a 10% growth was a great decision in my book. 20% was far too much in Awakening, even though I enjoyed making Kjelle a war goddess bent on breaking anyone in her way.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Even with 5 more hp Azura should never be seeing the front lines.

Hold onto that Robe. Give it to Hinoka so you have a flying murder wall.

If that isn't an option then give it to Hana, I guess.

oh, and Drop Felicia. She'll be fine sitting this one out.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Hinata is that sword user who shows up four chapters after you already have 2-3 established sword users. I'm sure he's ok, but by this point you have people who do what he does. Meanwhile, Oboro looks to fill a niche this team doesn't have as a durable infantry spear user.

...Huh, the only mounted unit on your team that isn't on a Pegasus is from Nohr. Do they not have regular horses in Hoshido? The lack of mounted axe, bow and magic users is a little sad.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
As someone on the Conquest path, Takumi can die in a fire.

...Ok fine. He's really good, and has every counter to flyers. I don't like him because he removes all the weaknesses of an archer.

Edit: ^^^ Every time Saizo opens his blind eye is a good moment.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Kagero looks to be the first unit you move on your turn. She slides in, takes out a knight or mage, and lets the rest of the team move past her so she doesn't get murdered.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Huh, I didn't notice how Sakura's magic stat had been steadily creeping up and is actually tied with Orochi at the same level. A pity she can't effectively use it yet, but if/when she promotes she's going to have some firepower on hand.

I think archers in this game have a nice perk over many strength oriented classes since they don't lose 5 speed the way a Javelin or Hand Axe user would. Combine that with their weapon triangle bonus over "Hidden" weapons and effective damage against flyers and you have enough reasons to bring 1-2 depending on enemy layout.

I'd bring archers over magic users in this game. Magic is very weak, and very few pure magic users are worth it.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
It would've been such a cheap shot if the game gave you Takumi for two chapters, and then he gets chumped in a cut scene. In some ways I wish that happened rather than setting up the betrayal by the totally trustworthy Zola.

Also hello new flying class with bows! I never thought the game would actually give a flyer a weapon to destroy all other flyers, but uh, thanks! I'll take it.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Meh, he's got one hell of a swing, but with that speed you might be able to beat him with a few units if you had the patience for it. You would need some serious crit evade though.

Looks like a bunch of knights and cavaliers. Luckily you have tons of axe users. Right?

...Right?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh hey! I voted for... one of those people. You all really like the Ninja crew, huh?

Poor Rinkah, this would've been a decent map for her, but she's going to ride that bench.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

ajkalan posted:

This is just the list of contenders for the 6th cut. The poll shows that people do not, in fact, like the ninjas.

Oh, I misread that. Thank you.

Go goon mind.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Hey, that "Lazlow" pskill can make the difference between 1 hit or 2 hits, and the +1 strength can be juuuuust enough to allow a unit to finish off an enemy in one combat.

Peri cranks the dial on the crazy up to 11. She's uh... something.

Huh, Kaden's stat growths look lower than I expected for a speedy murder type. I guess the res growth is sapping the other categories.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Yea, figures that Camilla brings a ton of wyvern knights along for her map. Although I wasn't expecting all of those cavaliers and armor knights.

Takumi is going to have a field day on this map, same with Orochi.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh boy, oh boy. We get to reclass people soonish! I wonder who (Mozu) we get to move from one class to another?

Also, Reina might get less votes if she had more support partners.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

inthesto posted:

Why does this series hate axes so much :(

Conquest has some excellent Axe users. Two of which we just fought on this map!

Silver Weapons are useful if you need to one shot a unit because their counterattack could be lethal. Otherwise it is better to stick with Iron/Steel.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Endorph posted:

FE6 has Gonzales, who's one of the best units in that game. FE5 has Othin, Halvan, and Dagda sitting on top of the heap. FE8 has Duessel. FE9 has Titania. FE10 has Nolan.

FE7 has Hector and Dart. Awakening has Cherche. Plenty of good axe users, but the games provide less total axe users so the worse ones stand out more.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Since Kaze clearly wants to tank up and be a front liner, make him a Samurai. We already dropped the other two.

I dunno, Lper's choice for the other?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Getting a magic weapon for Felicia was a godsend for my first run in this game. It cannot be understated how big of a turn around it is for her. To have a unit go from plink damage that applies debuffs to one round almost anything on the map is staggering.

The Great Club looks interesting, but you'd need a unit with a staggeringly high skill stat to use it effectively. I'm not sure any Birthright ax users fit that bill.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tae posted:

No one's answering why iago has bowbreaker

I guess If you trained up Setsuna or switched Mozu over to an archer it would really cement his advantage?

That or what Fits said. Either or.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

theshim posted:

Okay, Rinkah's making those stat boosters worthwhile, fair enough. I'm also impressed by how much pain she's putting out with the Bolt Axe, though I guess her personal skill helps there.

It's also kind of funny because Dread Fighter actually has worse growths in HP, Strength and Defense then Oni Savage does.

The Bolt Axe has a ridiculous base damage output. In fact, all of the magic weapons have a very high base damage, but in turn you can't use offensive abilities with them.

That was a great map for gaining exp. I wasn't expecting to see that many people promote.

Also, the Hoshidan noble gets staves? Ugh.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

inthesto posted:

I think have all three weapons in the triangle isn't as good as it sounds on paper, since you can't really maintain good ranks in three different weapons at once. As long as you have two different weapons so you can at least stay neutral at all times, that's good enough.

That, combined with great knights having two weaknesses is kind of a problem. On the other hand, great knights loving rule and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

The loss of Discipline hurt the Cavaliers going into Great Knight. However, you don't really need axes, just the skills that come with Great Knight.

Silas went Great Knight in my Conquest run and he barely made it to C rank axes before the end of the game.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Omobono posted:

And you guys say Conquest is even worse?

Yes.

Yes it is. However, you get to have the best sibling in the party, so it makes up for it.

(She's a healer on a horse. How is that not awesome?)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Endorph posted:

I think the merchants being goofy is just a joke about the merchant guy in dragon quest 4, who kind of sucked in combat and was the goofy comic relief character who wouldn't always attack when you told him to or would spend his turn staring at the female party members instead of doing anything.

I don't know what you're talking about, Taloon/Torneko was amazing. He was the best parts of the Goof-Off and Merchant classes smushed into one.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Kiragi, unlike many of the kids, seems to have a positive relationship with his dad and hasn't developed any serious mental health issues from being locked away in the deeprealms. He seems like a cool guy.

I picked up the Ballistician from the free dlc and promptly forgot it was a thing. The two from Chrom saw use, but it took at least 12-14 chapters for me to realize how good bow users in general are, and not just Mozu shifted over to the Archer class.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Dr. Fetus posted:

What was the point of Lillith's death? She was barely a character, and you still have access to her gameplay-wise, so why was that scene even in the game? Why did anyone have to die when Hans attacked Corrin? :psyduck:

Nothing, because her amazing storyline was probably axed save for this screen and we really needed to play up how strong Hans was.

Y'know, people told me the plotline in Birthright was better than Conquest but uh, I'm not too sure.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh boy! Now we're on the path that I ran! I'm really excited to see how much better the story is in this path compared to the ot-

Guys? Hello? ...Anybody?

Maybe the LP's Corrine will be better than mine. My avatar hit 25 hp at level 20. Things got rough.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Elise is probably the best healer in the game in her base class. Mounted healers are great, and Elise gains so much magic that her staves heal for a mammoth amount.

I always have problems using knight class characters, but Effie's sheer power makes up for her low movement speed. In addition, Effie makes a fine pair with Jakob since his passives and support skills work well with her weaknesses.

Arthur is the best, but constantly having a 1-3% chance to eat a crit is like nails on a chalkboard. I know he can take the hits, but what if he eats two crits back to back? Aahhhh...

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
For people following along at home, Mozu should become an archer ASAP when you get her. Niles usually isn't strong enough to deal with all the flyers and until Elise promotes you're hurting on the ranged front.

...Although Jakob is here and he's does actual damage early on unlike Felicia. Meh, getting a 2nd archer is very useful.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
While Odin's growths are shaky, getting +2 speed and +2 defense in three levels is a nice little boost to his endurance. If he keeping getting speed he'll be fine. Odin doesn't need much magic to be useful, but he needs a ton of speed.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Glad to echo the love for this map. Every Fire Emblem game has "That map", and this is Conquest's. Difficult but not impossible, rewarding but not brutal, this map is why I want to play Fire Emblem games.

I tried to use Nyx on my last run of Conquest and she was very frustrating to use. She's similar to Kagero because she has to move first and kill something, and then everyone else moves up to cover enemy approaches to her because she will explode if attacked.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Beruka is a flying brick wall and she is amazing. She got that Dual Club and wrecked face for the rest of the game for me. She is a tad slow, but you usually only need one hit with her.

Our resident sassy swordswoman is ok, but she's competing with a number of other sword users and doesn't stand out too much.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

CptWedgie posted:

Beruka - Strictly inferior to her boss; she's got negligibly higher HP, Skill, and Defense growths, noticeably better Luck growth... and significantly worse in pretty much literally everything else, with Speed taking the biggest hit. But hey, at least they didn't just make her "Camilla, but worse" in EVERY way, right? ...Y'know, comparing her to Scarlet, I still think she falls short; she just might be the worst Wyvern Rider in the game.

I heartily disagree with this because Beruka does a different job than the other two flyers. Camilla and Scarlet are built to be speedy murderers, Beruka is a flying wall you rush ahead of everyone else to hold a chokepoint and savage anyone who gets close. I used her as a mobile Effie and she was great. Pair her with Sevara (whom she supports with) and you'll have an excellent combo.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

FoolyCharged posted:

Swords are lame and beruka has a dragon, therefore bench the sword and keep both dragon ladies :colbert:

Ah, a person after my own heart. The more flying dragon ladies the better.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
So people see Arthur and think "Oh, The Nohr siblings have a bunch of good retainers keeping them on the up and up!"

Then you meet Niles who's... not morally great.

Then you meet Beruka who is an assassin and makes no bones about it.

Finally, you meet Peri, who is a psychopath and wonder what the hell is even going on. Why is she... what?!?

Also, POTTTTTTTS!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
This is the map where I learned how amazing Felicia is with Flame Shurikens after taking them from Saizo. She managed to weaken Ryoma enough for Corrin to sweep in and get the kill.

I enjoy this map because it reminds me of chapter 10 and all the stuff you have to do, but I think the unknown value of the pots ruins a bit of the fun. Yes, you know which is a beneficial and which is a negative if you hover over the pots, but the randomness is a bit too much for me.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Oh gently caress yes it's my boy Benny :neckbeard:

I paired him up with Beruka in my first Conquest playthrough and they carried so hard. I think Benny had something like ~55 defense when paired up by the end of the game.

Yea, these two pair very well together. Beruka can get Benny to the frontlines, and if one gets injured, you switch to the other and the wall holds for another few turns.

• Locked thread