Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Thank you Tae for finishing this game so I don't have to slog through the awful story while I am Bad at Fire Emblem, I greatly appreciate it.

bench mozu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Given the choice between 'conquest corrin is evil and loves her evil dad using her as a pawn' and 'conquest corrin immediately fucks off with her siblings to do something about her evil dad', which do you think would make a better story than Conquest, fire emblem thread?

'Both' is an acceptable but unhelpful answer.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

literally anything you could possibly do with conquest would be better than the conquest we actually got. you could make it a shot-for-shot, line-for-line remake of star wars episode 3 and it'd be better.

star wars episode 3 is exactly the kind of hamfisted fantastical melodrama fire emblem aspires to be, so this isn't exactly the ice burn it appears at first

although a fire emblem star wars crossover would be cool [sees path of radiance] aw, gently caress

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Don't worry Fire Emblem fans, Nohr do what Hoshidon't!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Owain is great, Severa and Inigo are pretty thoroughly average IMO. Severa is an interestingly flawed character except that they shunt all of her flaws onto mommy issues and Inigo's gimmick doesn't get enough examination.

I don't think bringing back the characters outright does the story any favours, and the Reincarnated Anagram Crew aren't much better, but it's not the worst issue at all.

They should have brought back Kellam and had nobody mention it at all :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

This seems like a situation where they made the cutscenes early on and the (inevitable) rewriting process had to try and work around it. It still barely functions if we assume the Azura-vision is just a conceit for the audience, but you'd only know that if you played Birthright where they actually mention the disguise. And it still makes a lot more sense in Birthright because we/Corrin know it's Azura the entire time rather than being very poorly fooled.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

From what Azura was saying, it might be that the image of Garon as a slime monster can only be seen by people who have high magical power or Corrine. So Leo might see the slime, but the other siblings would only see the crystal. Maybe.

I like to think the other Nohr siblings would be capable of seeing reason with Corrin, Azura and Leo all in agreement on this issue, but then I remember what Xander did in Birthright :laffo:

Writing a conclusion and working backwards from there is a reasonable way of crafting a story, but you actually need to have it make sense going forwards too. It feels like the first draft had Corrin be Actually Bad (willingly serving Garon, crushing rebellions, invading Hoshido) and then got revised in the dumbest possible ways so that they can still be morally pure despite still doing all the Bad Things?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Fates' handling of children is one of those badly executed aspects where they were clearly doing something that worked extremely well in Awakening and didn't consider the broader consequences of it in a plot that isn't centrally aligned around a conceit that allows for them to exist.

It doesn't help that the Deeprealms are even more nebulous than the Outrealms, for unclear reasons that maybe probably are explained in please finish buying the gameRevelations. At least, I'd hope they are, seeing as Birthright had nothing and Conquest sorta went 'spooky ghosts and also Gunter is still alive!' and not much else.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The father/son PSkill synergy is :unsmith: in a game filled with :smith:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The Golux posted:

I wonder if there are any good fanfiction rewrites of this game to be less stupid.

Enable PMs.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The way I see it, Fates is about 1.8 games' worth of stories stretched over three. Birthright can almost stand on its own, Conquest is filled with gaping holes plastered over with [BUY THE DLC], and Revelations exists seemingly because they cut big chunks out of Conquest and smaller ones from Birthright in order to have a third 'better' ending.

The need for three fairly tonally different stories to have the same starting point ends up flattening Corrin's personality and producing extremely inconsistent characterisation from the Nohrians, particularly Camilla and Xander.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

why create a fantasy world in which people can be anything they want, even a dragon, and still have your character be a raging transphobe

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Corrin was told about the magic throne when they went to Hoshido, but didn't sit on it out of paranoia entirely reasonable distrust about them being brainwashed. Instead they magically regained (some of?) their memory for Reasons, except they didn't regain all their memories because they still forgot about Silas.

Remember when Robin had amnesia for an actual reason, and what he does remember is extremely important to the plot? I miss that too.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

On the flipside, Gregor's entire schtick was made up for the translation, so if you thought that was good that's on the translation team

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

imagine if Conquest had legitimately just been Spec Ops: Fire Emblem edition tho

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Corrin's going to hug Takumi into not being dead anymore, isn't she?

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

PassingPie posted:

I can't figure out why Azura is so committed to saving Takumi in the first place. He hates her guts, considers her to be a foreigner and blames her for everything that has gone wrong. He won't even allow her to speak his name, presumably he's been mistreating her this way since they were small children. In Birthright she has to save his life to earn the right to talk to him, in Conquest this never happens so he just wants her head on a stick for the entire game.

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations

although to be fair the shadowy evil dudes who turned up and tried to kill you when you followed azura into wherever the hell she went are visually connected to takumi so you can assume it has something to do with that even without BUY THE OTHER ROUTE

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The battle themes in awakening have cool names and are cool

i also quite like how the many variants on 'Id' use thematic transformation on the same motif

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I find it hilarious that they probably went with 'takumi, but possessed' to avoid angering people who like takumi and think he's a good dude but made birthright xander anyway

if more characters behaved significantly differently between conquest and birthright maybe people wouldn't be so mad about xander being the one dude who does so to the point of absurdity

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yeah, I was going to post 'your army is a bunch of cool smart attractive people and your enemies are chumps' in a more specific fashion, and 'asymmetrical ruleset' is right on the mark.

I mean, for the sake of appearances I would probably give Iago a unique class to explain how he can use staves (Advisor fits fine), but it's nitpicking at that point.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Junpei posted:

Okay, it's been a decent length since the last time I asked this, and we've received a bit of new information from mid-Conquest into to start-of-Revelations, so I think this is an opportune time to ask this again: Without major changes, how would you change the plot to be better?

Cut the premonition from the prologue. We already have a tutorial chapter immediately afterwards, and it undercuts all the tension of picking a side (while also making the player even more inclined towards Hoshido than they already would be).

Garon can still be evil but make him be less petty about it. Actually explain why Nohr wants or needs to fight in order to survive. Maybe Ganglari could look less obviously evil while we're at it?

Have Hans not explain Garon's whole evil plan to Corrin and just knock him into the bottomless canyon rather than have the sword throw him in???

Have Corrin land in Valla and be rescued by Lilith there rather than dragged into a different secret dragon dimension.

Give the player some evidence to suggest the Hoshidans might not be entirely honest with them - possibly playing on the giant gently caress-off mind control barrier Mikoto apparently has? - and have the flashback to Sumeragi's death be Ryoma explaining what happened rather than objectively what Corrin remembers, so Garon is less obviously evil.

Make Mikoto's death less obviously a setup by Garon. Maybe the mystery swordsman just grabs Ganglari with his magic and goes to attack Corrin rather than making it explode or whatever.

It would take a lot more work to unfuck everything after the routes split, but making Nohr less obviously evil and Hoshido somewhat more grounded gives you a reasonable base to work on.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

funfact, yukimura doesn't even join in revelations, even though it's the route about getting all the characters from both sides. he doesn't die or anything either, he just doesn't join. wave goodbye to yukimura forever, everyone.

he's also listed as joining in revelations in the artbook that launched alongside the game, so i think they just legitimately forgot about him.

he isn't enough of a sexy anime, i guess

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the conundrum of modern fire emblem: characters need to have relatively static personalities so that their various interactions don't contradict each other (for example, you can't have cordelia get over her obsession with chrom in someone's A support and then have her whine to a different character about how chrom doesn't like her in their C support afterwards), and so when characters behave differently under specific circumstances it doesn't make any goddamn sense.

i actually think xander's behaviour in birthright is fine in a vacuum - while he's a moron, he's an extremely believable moron, in the archetypical Camus style - the problem is that his character development in conquest is utterly at odds with that xander. also everyone is kinda dull and weird in the first 6 chapters because they need to believably go in three extremely different directions.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i'm a big fan of the arbitrary wizard powers that turn up once and are never mentioned again in order for the map's gimmick to happen

fates seems to be particularly bad about this even by fire emblem standards, see also mikoto's magic barrier that makes the plot do the thing

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Revelations RecruitmentTM

I'm also super into the 'put you in the same fights as last time but fail to have any explanation whatsoever because you've played the other routes' storytelling here (unless there's more dialogue after you start the chapter but before you begin). Super cool how siding with neither Hoshido or Nohr just randomly antagonises you to everyone else as well

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

Well, at least Kagero is still a good unit? And hey, it looks like we could get to keep Scarlet in this path!

I'm pretty sure I voted for MCorrin specifically so we could marry her and avoid the 'running out of parents' problem. It's not going to be a problem if we have Corrine, though, right?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

As usual in Fire Emblem, character names can change fairly significantly in translation in order to try and communicate an idea better.

My personal Fates favourite is 'Zero' becoming 'Niles', as in 'nihil'.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I like that the Awakening kids' names come from a well-known god of wisdom, a somewhat obscure goddess of the moon, and then 'some hungarian saint, i guess'.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I can't believe how ridiculous Xander is. When Garon is literally talking about burning the country that you love to the ground, maybe take it as a hint that something is wrong rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending nothing is wrong. It just makes him seem so dumb and it legitimately surprises me that the writing is THIS bad.

When Elise seems to be the most competent sibling, something is wrong.

Yeah, this is monumentally worse than Birthright Xander, which is pretty impressive.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

You missed a him/her here:

I want to show Corrine that I believe in her. As her older sister, I want to be with him/her until the end.

also Scarlet's stat block says 'Leaves', spoiling one of the game's biggest gently caress Yous

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

What happens if you say 'valor' but have a strong accent :thunk:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

big fan of killing off characters in the 'take a third option and save everyone' route, imo

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

This whole situation feels like the result of the devs going "Hey it's Awakening, you love Awakening, right? It's like your favorite characters and mechanics from AWAKENING!" and slipping on the world's biggest banana peel.

Really, this is true of a lot of Fates. Even down to the opening cutscene being a premonition of a plot-important scene, leading into a flash-forward prologue that teaches you the basic mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Melomane Mallet posted:

The English support cut some of Niles' innuendo, like where he complements Elise on her body in the C support.

Fire Emblem: Fates

• Locked thread