Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Frankly, the "Nohrian Royals obey Garon because they believe it's physically impossible to beat him" thing is already my headcanon. We saw in Birthright that he is, in fact, obscenely strong - if Xander, for example, had ever seen him at even a fraction of that strength, it's not unreasonable that he'd doubt anyone's ability to kill him. And if Xander says someone can't be killed, the other Nohrian siblings are likely to follow suit.

Eh, Ryoma and that mysterious chuckling hooded swordmaster could take him.

Oh hey, there was an update! And typos!

Tae posted:

Yes. I will not let Castle Shirasagi fall, even to my own brother/sister. Don't let even a single person breach the throne room! If I can't at least stop that, I'm a sorry excuse for a princess.

Meanwhile, I take care of some sudden aggro Onie Chieftains.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I think the best way to view the terrible plots is to assume each route is its own, independant story.
Else you get king garon, who is a slime monster, but also a man, but also a dragon

Yeah, it's alternate timelines.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Everybody betrayed me. I'm FEDDOP with this world!

Ha! Nice one!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Welp, time to have a spirit pow-wow with Lilith and Ryoma and whoever else they feel like having show up to tell us it's not our time to die yet. The Rainbow Sage, maybe? :shrug:

Zola too! Oh and Kumagera or whatever his name was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It should've been Mitoko's unmentioned brother.

Also he has a gun

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, see, I'm one of those guys who, even if the gameplay isn't all that good, I can still have fun if it's a good story... and Fates is really making me regret getting everything for it.

Yeah, I think Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is fun enough that I'd buy a sequel if one came out.

This story is even worse, somehow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y'know, I can't even remember seeing Nyx on Birthright now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Nyx is exclusive to Conquest and Revelation. She doesn't even exist on Birthright's path. All of the other Conquest exclusive characters at least appear once on Birthright.

Yeah, I meant like fighting her. Which is like, one thing the game got right. She wanted to be left alone at first, after all. So on the other route you don't see hide nor hair of her! :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I always wondered if it would be possible to salvage this game's plot if they'd just abandoned the idea of three versions and used some of the ideas into one coherent story.

Isn't that the problem in the first place? They've only got enough material here for a game or two- at most- but it's stretched into three. If they'd waffled less on 'Oh god did I make the right choice?' every other chapter this would be a bit better. And also make them really distinct from each other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

New body Corrine won by a large margin, so here's the three I'm showing for vote

First to....what, 30? Maybe that's too high. http://www.strawpoll.me/13205378

I'm voting for purple because I was carried through Conquest by a Corrin with that same hair+color style.

But in my heart, I'm still rooting for firey red.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Arent those all hairstyles from awakening
Way to low effort it intsys.

Im voting for Vaike hair, anyways.

Really, the lack of actual character customization is the real lazy part of this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Out! Of! Nowhere! The entire existence of a third kingdom comes virtually out of nowhere, save for My Castle, which is completely ignored in the story! The first chapter of the true route, which requires you to complete the other two routes, just dumps on a whole lot of exposition about stuff you didn't even know, even when you could've been told about it. I just... How did I not notice this when I was playing the game? How has this game managed to keep surprising me with more dumb, even when it's a scene I've already seen several times? ...How could I buy all the DLC for this game? I'm not talking getting both Birthright and Conquest, the shop was selling a copy that had a code containing the other route. I mean, ALL the DLC, including Revelations. I spent so much money on a game where the three routes are: Bland and reeking of favouritism; offensively stupid and just a big advertisement for; one big plot dump out of nowhere that massively expands on a few sentences sprinkled throughout the previous two routes and contains multiple moments that I will touch on as we go and, from the looks of things, some things I didn't even notice. I'm angry, yeah, but I'm also really disappointed.

Don't beat yourself up too much, it was three games for 60$ all together. You're not the idiot who also bought gold and weapon farming DLC as well. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean, how safe is the MyCastle dimension if you can still get invaded while you're in there?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

A good display of Revelations. lovely empty maps with nothing going on complete with really screwed up recruitment times and deployment p.

I mean, you've only got 4 party members if you just go story only.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Again, different timelines.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I didn't really mind the ice map beyond the low deployment restriction for some reason, but this was inexcusable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

it's an insanely minor detail but why did a scout throw a shuriken at us and blow his cover. they're ninjas.

He probably thought we were too incompetent to block it and that it'd be an easy kill.

Sadly for him, fighting is the only thing our group is good at.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd rather play Fates over Echoes, personally.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gilgamesh255 posted:

:frogout:

But assuming you're not yanking our chains, why? Could you elaborate?

I didn't grow up with the series as it evolved, the first Fire Emblem game I played was one of the GBA ones. And it's not so long ago that I got ahold of a 3DS and could actually play Awakening for myself. Echoes is a pretty drat faithful remake of FE2, for all that entails. You've got like seven classes, no matter how nice the animations are it loses its luster really quick, since you've only got like seven classes this time. For how much poo poo people (fairly) give the 3DS games, I'd much rather take the Mokushu(sp) forest or Fuga's trial over large mostly featureless plains, many many desert maps or giant poison swamp. If you could learn a skill and switch to another weapon, like FFT, I'd be more forgiving to it but otherwise eh.

Also Echoes doesn't have Berserkers, so what even is the point?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't think I'm saying that Echoes is bad though! I just have issues with it. Mainly the part where you can't pair up/shelter units to transfer them from place to place. Archers actually having a decent range to their attacks, only needing a single point of speed to double, and no weapon triangle so people can fight with different weapons and not cause ~Ludonarritive Dissonance~ in cutscenes are cool things but voice acting and dungeons aren't enough to make up for only having seven classes.

What I really miss are the old GBA General attacks where they launched axes and lances on chains and then reeled them back in. Those were rad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I was playing through Conquest when I got Echoes, tried out Echoes and immediately stopped my Conquest play-through. Echoes is just so much more competently done, with actually likeable characters that mostly aren't idiots. The maps can get repetitive, but I think it's basically a wash with Mila's Turnwheel preventing you from having to redo entire maps for a miss-click like in Conquest.

I always play these games on Casual (cuz that's all I am) so it's never been an issue for me.

Also, I don't know about you guys but when I replay a game that I regularly beat, I generally skip cutscenes again unless there's a funny or cool part that comes up somewhere. I've seen it already. I remember it, I just wanna get back to shooting robits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

I tried playing Fates on Classic, but honestly battle save is something that should just be in Fire Emblem. Having to restart a map because of one error is the pits. I'd even be fine with checkpoints, like how FE12 did it (I can't remember if FE11 did the same thing).

Yes, for levels this big, in-map saves should always be there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Oh hey! Camilla and co. joined up earlier than I thought they would on this route, that's neat. Maybe Beruka will gain some strength and speed on this run, she certainly didn't perform as well as I thought she would on the previous run.

Yeah, it would have to be Camilla or Elise on the Nohr side. Both super support Corrin all the time but Camilla can actually fight and she rides a wyvern so I can see why she'd get out first.

U-DO Burger posted:

I think they chose Beruka as a name because they thought it sounded cool but maybe that's just me

I certainly prefer it to Veruka or Veruca or whatever they brought up earlier.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad someone posted the entire list because I was just about to ask what else got changed beyond Subaki because that one's popped up in this thread before.

Junpei posted:

Other changes:
Eng -> Jap
Keaton -> Flannel
Kaden -> Nishiki
Azura -> Aqua
Kaze -> Suzukaze
Mozu -> Mozume
Fuga -> Fuuga
Kagero -> Kagerou
Azama -> Asama
Hana -> Kazahana
Reina -> Yuugiri
Scarlet -> Crimson
Laslow -> Lazward
Peri -> Pieri
Effie -> Elfie

Not a huge fan of these, glad they swapped them around.

Junpei posted:

Other changes:
Eng -> Jap
Xander -> Marx
Leo -> Leon
Corrin -> Kamui
Azura -> Aqua
Shura -> Ashura
Fuga -> Fuuga
Reina -> Yuugiri
Rinkah -> Rinka
Hayato -> Tsukuyomi
Effie -> Elfie
Arthur -> Harold
Benny -> Benoit

Would've been fine with either one for these.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Funny you should mention that, because his special Ylissean Summer variant for Heroes wields a candy bow that fires ice pop arrows.

No, really.

Okay, now his gimmick is starting to gain some legs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

for guys who love bitching about writing nobody in this thread understands fiction

what xander is gathering his troops for is supposed to ambiguous. it's supposed to make the player think 'is he coming to help me or hurt me.' every line xander has after evil coughing dad is super ambiguous. 'we must do all we can to protect nohr,' from corrin or from evil dad. heck, the 'we must protect father' line is ambiguous since if garon is being controlled by something then betraying him at this point could be construed as 'protecting' garon since it'd be an attempt to free him from whatever's controlling him.

the scene literally ends with leo asking what hes planning to do and then fading to black.

the entire scene is incredibly terribly written but c'mon.

If this weren't the third path that features gaining party members from both kingdoms, that might work but I just get the impression he's saying 'hey Leo, let's get all the soldiers loyal to us and not dad and head on over to that endless cliff Corrine was talking about. I think she might be onto something after all.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Condense levels if it's just repeat material. Move on to the new poo poo.

Double update DOUBLE UPDATE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funny thing about this is that yes, you can just back out and do scout missions and she'll still be alive then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cdyoung posted:

wow people vote for the dumbest couples some times. Kagero, give someone her wonderful wonderful str growth bonus.

Because a lot of people like Kagero and think she deserves better than being paired with someone whose kid will probably never be used after this.

Selena

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So, Hisame's an interesting case in that his Endearing Character TraitTM for the English localization is an insane love of pickles. Why, you ask? Because Hisame is built around a joke that works in Japanese but has practically no Western equivalent, so the joke flies over everyone's heads. See, his character blurb lists Hisame as "The youngest old man", and that's what the joke revolves around. Hisame's original character gimmick is that he loves fermented foods, and the joke is that this affinity is usually found among older people in Japan (read: closer to Gunter's age than Hisame's age). But since Western cultures don't have anything like this, Hisame's localized love of pickles came off to people as the localization staff doing dumb weird things rather than what the problem really is: the original script body checking the localization staff into a corner with no easy way out. It's not helped any further by Hisame becoming very passionate about the subject in his support with Corrine, to the point he comes off as disturbingly obsessed with his favorite foods.

Of course, even with that, it doesn't save Hisame from being so painfully bland everywhere else. I make it no mistake that out of the kids, Hisame's the one I've skipped over the most just because I really do not find him interesting. And of course, because his father is equally bland and thus not worth it in the long run.

Should've made his thing hard candies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

facepalmolive posted:

Re: Zombie Takumi -- way to take the wind out of the sails for the entire buildup to the Garon climax. I also agree that the story would've been stronger if he hadn't been possessed/zombified. I get that IntSys wanted to protect the precious feelings of those who liked Takumi's character, but I think they could've make him a MORE sympathetic and tragic (and more likable) character without all the possession nonsense. They could've written him as a dude who placed his entire heart in his country/family (beneath that ~cold exterior~ of his that people seem to adore), who has lost everything and is sad and broken and is now lashing at you in desperation or something. Basically, a guilty emotional moment to show that your decisions have consequences despite your best intentions -- the Conquest counterpart to the Elise/Xander scene, if you will.

But that's probably asking too much of their writing staff.

I don't think it was a decision made to not insult people who liked his character or anything. I still think it's just a lazy attempt to generate interest in looking at the other games for some actual answers. And with how that fight played out it'd be an annoying rear end-pull for his normal bow to just pull out huge attacks like that that you'll never be allowed to use.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

So this is a very specific scene that's only available on Revelation and if Selena is the mother. For obvious reasons.

Goodness, Mother. You startled me. But don't you look impressive! As always. I don't know how you do it.
Hmm. Well, Caeldori, there's something I suppose I should tell you. When you were young, you looked so much like your father. But now... Time has its way with us.
What's that? How odd. Time has its—?

Yes. Of course. You've told me much about Grandmother. She was as perfect a knight as has ever been seen. I've always felt that you and Grandmother were so alike!
Actually, it's YOU that's like my mother. You're her spitting image.

Out of all the things in Fates, this might be the most awkward situation to create.

The way you carry yourself...every move, every word you say...
Really? I'd love to think that I'm a little like such a great woman. I'll have to work even harder to honor her memory.
Well, you're doing fine. But... But... Just don't mess up!
Yes! I swear I'll do my very best for you, Mother!
Ha ha! All right, all right... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overreact.

Super awkward easter egg for Awakening fans.

Hmm? What, Mother? Are you being serious?
Um, well... Let's just forget I said anything, Daughter.

Oh god, this is the most uncomfortable Futurama bullshit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can anyone point to a website with the Japanese supports or anything? I'd much prefer reading them directly instead of just getting it secondhand.

Healbot posted:

He's Siegbert, not Siegfried.

Yup, nothing similar about those names at all!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

The localization did really downplay elements of his characterization. In English when he's a dick to other people he still sounds the same for the most part, but in Japanese when he starts being a dick to people he's a total thug and completely drops all pretense of being polite in any aspect of his language, which is funny and memorable. And the localization cut out all of his best lines.

Oh, so he turns on the polite while dealing with Nohrian royalty but as soon as he's free of that he slides right back into roughspeech like Charlotte.

Yeah, okay, that is interesting and memorable. Shame we missed out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Glazius posted:

Yeah, it seemed kind of suspicious that there's a living person in this land of glowy-eyed shadows.

A non-highly regarded knight character to boot.

• Locked thread