Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

Growth Rates
HP: 60%
STR: 60%
MAG: 40%
SKL: 45%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 55%
DEF: 55%
RES: 35%

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

395/355 percent total growth (considering/ignoring magic growth respectively).
loving hell. FE7 Hector has 335 total growth (with a 0% magic growth due to the GBA mechanics) and he's one of the best lords in the series; Ike has 365/345 total growths, and ditto.
What do modern lords eat in their diet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I really, really can't take Nohr seriously, every 2 screenshots this update I was expecting Corrin to go into the Are we the baddies? Mitchell and Webb sketch.

E: although I'll gladly concede that Windmire looks really cool.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:moreevil:
If Megaman Battle Network hadn't happened we'd have Ganon's face in that emoticon.

It's a pity, because I'm not minding the rest of the Nohr cast so far, the siblings seem actual human being instead of Emperor von Hitler.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare:
They have an AoE mind control barrier, and of a decent size too.
They have a loving mind control barrier able to cover a nation.

Did the writers realize that is the kind of horrifying poo poo that can make emperor Evil mcBeard seem like a sane alternative?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thank you Corrin.
He's not going to remember this in Conquest, is he?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm still not sure why the Nohr kids are so loyal to King Immabadguy when he's literally willing to murder their brother in front of them and basically threatened to murder them for not committing war crimes.

I mean, really, from what we've seen the pragmatic way to end this would be to go get all the kids from both houses, beat up Immabadguy, and end this war quickly.

But I will have a lot more to say on this when we get to Conquest.

For the moment, I'm kinda liking the Nohr royals more than the Hoshidans, but with how attached they are to Corrin it's really strange that they're not telling king :moreevil: to go put his beard where the sun doesn't shine. He's not been what I'd call subtle in trying to murder Corrin. He's practically wearing a royal mantle with Die Corrin Die embroidered.

It does however make perfect sense that they believe Corrin has been brainwashed, because that's within Hoshido's capabilities.

Are we going to get some kind of explanation from the Nohrian siblings in conquest?
"Yeah we noticed dad has become kinda :moreevil: and it is worrying us. It started about 2 years ago when :evil vizier: became prime minister, we're searching for a way to get our loving father back; in the meanwhile we also need to keep Hoshido at bay because we don't want to get mind-controlled"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did they drop the HP growths around the board by about 20 compared to other games? Those numbers feel on the lowish side, again compared to other games.

Azura's growths, holy hell. What's the accuracy/evade formula here? Because in say the GBA games she'd be broken beyond comparison after a few levels (the problem would be getting her there).

Sakura is Lilina, healer version, although trading some Magic growth for speed. Probably a good trade in this case.

E: a thought: why the hell was baby Corrin within arm's reach of dad :moreevil:? Didn't they have their fancy mind control barrier preventing hostiles from engaging in hostilities within Hoshido? Did they state that the barrier went up after the kidnapping and I missed it?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 19, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Crosspeice posted:

Are you telling me Izuna's not recruitable??? :argh:

:argh:

CptWedgie posted:

Between Azura and Izana, it's pretty obvious that her song's more along the lines of a musical prophecy than anything.

On a side note, it's kinda funny how everyone's so convinced that Zola's eccentric act couldn't possibly be how the real Izana acts... and then they meet him, and that's EXACTLY how he behaves. I mean, "Oh, ancient gods... What's up?" indeed.

I think the ancient gods appreciate the relaxed attitude in this case. I feel you can't not like this dude, at least in moderation.

Tae posted:

But he's one of your own! I refuse to believe you'd harm a fellow Nohrian.

Uh...aren't you killing Nohrians like crazy

Why should I listen to a traitor like you? You abandoned us! You have no right to tell me what to do!

I unfortunately have to side with Corrin on this (I feel dirty). There's a world of difference between what Corrin did (defection) and executing your subordinate because he failed you.
The former can be justified (say, if your emperor is Adolf mcEvilbeard), the latter is pretty much always inexcusable. Especially in this case where the plan failed because Izuna is Izuna and your dude did too good of a job impersonating him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Also, the Hoshidan noble gets staves? Ugh.

I think it's actually a good weapon choice, considering your MC is going to have a decent magic growth anyway. Remember, staves generate XP from the ether, so having a good combat unit that can fall back into a support role if it's overleveled is pretty nice.
Add that Corrin has access to dragonstones if you ever have the need to say "gently caress the weapon triangle" and I'd say staves are a really good weapon choice compared to wider WTA coverage.

E.g. Roy's problem in FE6 is that is promotion comes way too late, so you need to avoid combat with him as much as possible. If he had staff access at least he'd be useful even at max level.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That Fiona death scene
:ughh:
there simply are no words.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CptWedgie posted:

What about things like "contrived" or "pointless?"

Like calling the Marianas Trench deep. Technically correct, but still missing the mark.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm guessing Hinoka? She's the 7th lady following that table left to right, top to bottom.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Because now we have the Hyperbaric Lion Tamer too, of course the siblings are not blood siblings what the gently caress is Japan anime and manga's fixation with they're not blood siblings so it's totally fine wink wink.
And you guys say Conquest is even worse?
:ughh:

Something tells me I'll be giving that emote a decent workout this thread.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

The double exclamation points is just making you look silly, honestly

We know what Pratchett had to say about people who talk/think with multiple punctuation marks.

chiasaur11 posted:

People love a good comeback story, and she's got a cool design.

As for Kana, I've tried to use her and given up. She's basically just shittier Corrin from a gameplay standpoint. Worse growths, no unique weapon, less class access. Plus you're sending a 12 year old out to kill people for you, and that just feels awkward.

Have kids mechanics changed? Because kids tended to be "parents but strictly better" in 4 and awakenings.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I fell that a problem is: why the hell are kids even in this game?
In 4 and Awakening, massive amounts of the plot revolved around the kids. Seliph and Lucina are there leading armies and taking names because the machinations of their respective Dragon Satan killed their dads and plunged their countries into chaos, and they're going to make right again what went wrong.
All the kids in both games bear the scar of their parents dying before their time, of having to hide from either Loptr cultists or the Risen.

You literally can't not have Seliph or Lucina, Sigurd auto-marries Deirdre and Awakenings will force an S-rank on Chrom with a nameless, faceless extra if it has to, because their kids are so central to the story.

Why is Kana here? What does she add to the story, to the point of justifying the Hyperbolic Time Chamber?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm kinda hoping it turns out Azura is in a similar situation to Robin, because wanting to keep hidden the fact that you're dragon satan's daughter would be somewhat understandable.

But she's being badly secretive on like, her crush from when she was eight or something, is she?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Let me get this straight.

Some of the Awakening kids got lost by not taking a left in dimensional Albuquerque or something and ended up in Fates. Stupid writing decision if you ask me, but I won't complain (too much) about more Owain.

Please tell me they're not going to go full stupid circle and have some of the Awakening 1st gens actually be from Fates, are they? Not that the alternative (the hacks couldn't even bother to create new characters so they cloned some) is much better, but still.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

Kana... You've never tried hiding something from me before.

Corrin, dear, are you even aware of the concept of surprise birthday present?
Nevermind, I remembered who's your dad.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

gently caress it, I'll say it.
Those loving morons are worse parents than Gohan's dad, and you all know I'm not referring to Piccolo with that.

Jesus loving Christ.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Nothing, because her amazing storyline was probably axed save for this screen and we really needed to play up how strong Hans was.

Y'know, people told me the plotline in Birthright was better than Conquest but uh, I'm not too sure.

I don't know, having played neither I'm going to hazard a guess that while Birthright might have worse peaks of stupidity, Conquest has the ball and chain that is king :moreevil: dragging it down.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On one hand, defense without speed.
On the other, gain some strength, dammit. You're shaming your family.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

King Moreevil mcPuppykicker can turn into the fell dragon.
:geno: I am surprised, this is my surprised face.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FoolyCharged posted:

Minerva should lead the campaign atop her mighty wyvern, Cherche.

Can we split the difference and go with Athena instead? Same goddess, but Cherche and Minerva don't deserve to be in this game, even by reference.
Or The Vaike, for that matter.

Or the kids already here but apparently they drew the short end of the stick. Sorry Owain, you were too popular for your own good.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ungulateman posted:

Given the choice between 'conquest corrin is evil and loves her evil dad using her as a pawn' and 'conquest corrin immediately fucks off with her siblings to do something about her evil dad', which do you think would make a better story than Conquest, fire emblem thread?

'Both' is an acceptable but unhelpful answer.

Absolutely the second.
Conquest Corrine ought to be organizing an hostile takeover of the throne the second she's back in Nohr. They wrote murderdad too blatantly evil for anything but that, so a working split would be having the first half of Conquest setting up the rebellion, convincing the other sibling to get on board, getting a couple victories on Hoshido so you have some breathing space when you trigger the civil war, and other various preparations; while the second half of Conquest would be the actual Nohrian civil war, with maybe a couple repel Hoshido maps again.

First choice would be interesting, but it absolutely can't work with the Nohr siblings as they are written right now. You'd have to retool their personality a lot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

I miss our homeland. You know the one. It's so very out of reach

:allears:

I wonder if when creating the kids in Awakening they had a "canon" pairing in mind.
Because I can totally believe Owain and Henry cooking up a curse such as this one after Lissa accidentally mentioning that she had a nightmare once.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:perfect:
well, apart from the metal bikini.
And the high heels.
But still, it's actually a quite badass picture despite those two complaints.

(:wtc: why does she have troubador? Give her cleric for war cleric if you want her to have staff access).

I'll not commenting on Hans and dad :moreevil:. I feel I already said way too much on the issue.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

inthesto posted:

That's approximately what she looks like as a berserker, isn't it?

I personally would have gone with this one, because while it's more cheesecake-y, it's also absolutely hilarious:

I also like the design on this one in general, but only a crazy person would turn Charlotte into a hero:

The way I see it, I don't mind cheesecake too much if the outfit is appropriate to the situation. Looking hot is basically the job description for a wedding dress, and if a character is a mounted unit by default high heels make actual sense. By contrast, high heels or bikini armour on a foot soldier are completely stupid.

(E: bikini armour is always stupid)

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 2, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me feel stupider from watching stupidest scribbles in little boxes under pretty pictures.

JFC Azura "let's earnestly help at Dachau it'll give us a chance to take down Hitler" THAT's what you're saying.
Are we sure Corrin and Azura are not actually siblings? Because they feel equally stupid. Goddamn inbred dragon royals*.

E: * and I'm referring to Corrin and Azura specifically here, the other royals are fine people and even Xander and Takumi's rear end-sticks are bad, but not THIS bad.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 6, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I won't lie, Corrine twisting all that bullshit about rebellion and throwing it back into Iago and murderdad's face was awesome. Too bad about the rest of the route.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm ashamed it took me a bit to understand what was going on here.
Elise continues being simply the best. Are we sure she's murderdad daughter?

Leo, get that stick out of your rear end and beat the bandits with it, stat. Then APOLOGIZE.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Argent Cinereus posted:

Ironically, I don't recall Forrest having any supports with Elise, despite this whole side story.

Wait, wait wait wait.
Lucina Forrest can't support with aunt Lissa Elise, again?

loving hell, Fates.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh no Takumi is totally dead and his body disappeared :geno:

Game, please, make me care about something in the main plot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

NOPE!

I had two witches on standby with the intent of warping 4 more characters for a Ryoma beatdown, but Intsys hates you too much.

To be fair, you can't interfere because murderdad explicitly told the party not to, not because of a barrier keeping people out or something. The latter can have flaws to exploit, the former doesn't, unless Xander finally retrieves his backbone from where he diplaced it and told :moreevil: to stuff it.
Fat chance of that considering what Xander has already let happen.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bruceski posted:

Is it debuffs from separate sources or multiple applications? What happens if a ninja doubles you with a shuriken? What about attacking on two turns?

I'd assume "gently caress you* that's what happens" is the correct response to your question. I'd like to know for sure though.

*player you not Bruceski you

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:sigh:

Better late than never I guess? Actually no, way too late to salvage the plot
Why wasn't this map 6 of Conquest or something? Instead of 26th?
And drat Xander is a loving honourless coward.

(Iago's personal is utter BS and who the gently caress thought it was a good idea)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

And the great princess Corrine thus saved the day night. Yay :geno:

I assume Anankos is yet another "please buy Revelations" foreshadowing?

Cythereal posted:

And why is the king dude suddenly a slime monster? I don't remember this from Birthright.

In Birthright we didn't have to invoke the deus ex throno to convince the party to kill murderdad, so the slime monster could keep puppeting him instead of being forced into his true form.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:psyduck:
I think my brain just walked away in disgust here from the sheer idiocy.

As a side note, when was Arete mentioned?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bruceski posted:

"So you know this day/night divide that affects the kingdoms' availability of food/et cetera and was kinda a factor behind the whole war (other than Garon being a goo-dad)? Turns out it's gonna swap in a few months and nobody saw fit to comment on this,"

I assume* that's it's not THAT stupid and it's just a brief span of time. As in, when Hoshido gets a solar eclipse Nohr gets an anti-eclipse somehow.

*someone point and laugh at my post if it IS that stupid please

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:rant:
:rant::rant:
:rant::rant::rant:

What was the loving point of Conquest?

E: cripes assume I shaped a middle finger with a lot of :rant: emoticons here

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xander :ughh:

Elise always is the best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Endorph posted:

for guys who love bitching about writing nobody in this thread understands fiction

what xander is gathering his troops for is supposed to ambiguous. it's supposed to make the player think 'is he coming to help me or hurt me.' every line xander has after evil coughing dad is super ambiguous. 'we must do all we can to protect nohr,' from corrin or from evil dad. heck, the 'we must protect father' line is ambiguous since if garon is being controlled by something then betraying him at this point could be construed as 'protecting' garon since it'd be an attempt to free him from whatever's controlling him.

the scene literally ends with leo asking what hes planning to do and then fading to black.

the entire scene is incredibly terribly written but c'mon.

We've seen two routes where Xander actually was that loving stupid.
In Birthright, after killing his sister he took the coward's way out, doubly so because he didn't even have the guts to off himself instead of delegating to Corrin, explicitly ignoring Elise's last request.
In Conquest, any possible hint that murderdad wasn't on the up and up was met with "la la la not listening I'm not listening" and/or "my sword would be very interested in continuing this conversation".
I simply do not trust the writers not to go three for three for the sake of cheap conflict.

• Locked thread