Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Having just read through the Path of Radiance LP before seeing this thread the difference story quality so far is sure something. :stare:

Keep in mind that this is the prologue to three different stories. They had to cram a bunch of stuff into a few short chapters to give you some reason for siding with each side. Once you pick a side, the stories get a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Artix posted:

I dispute that on several levels but we'll cross that bridge when we hit Chapter 6.

Maybe the "a lot" was an exaggeration.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Oh look, it's Takumi.

gently caress you Takumi.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

I forget if you mentioned this, but in Fates enemies that have weapons that are effective against the unit you're moving have a red exclamation point above their heads. It's really, really nice and I miss this feature playing other Fire Emblem games.

It's in FE Heroes, and in that, if you have an effective weapon, a green exclamation point is above the enemies that are weak to it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

WHO WILL HE CHOOSE

You're missing an option.

Where's "Join the Battle in Smash"?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

ohmygorgon posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what they are referred to as in Heroes? I know there are still both daggers and shurikens in that game, but is the weapon type referred to in anything like a unit stats screen or something similar?

They are called Hidden Weapons in that game too. I think it is in one of the tutorials.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

I like how the characters have special lines when they get a single stat up

They each have 3 or 4 lines, based on how many points they gain that level. And when several stats are maxed, they change their single stat line to point out they couldn't have gained much more than that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

Yeah, that's Inigo alright

I don't think you need to hint at something the LPer said in the LP.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Sheesh, I know Azura's useful, but don't you guys think she's a bit overused by this point? I've been primarily voting to bench drastically underlevelled, overlevelled, or BAD characters thus far, and I'm pretty sure you guys have literally deployed Azura on EVERY MAP THUS FAR (thus making her overlevelled). How about spreading the experience a bit, maybe keep a few more characters viable for later instead of locking Tae into one specific team?

She is a dancer, and gains EXP when she dances. She isn't stealing chances for EXP from other characters.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

inthesto posted:

I'm personally in favor of using heart seals on Azura and Ryoma for no reason beyond "let's gently caress with units that clearly weren't meant to be hosed with and see what happens"

I agree completely with this. Azura and Ryoma.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Honestly, both versions of the scene are pretty dumb, but at least the one where Kaze dies has something vaguely resembling world building and backstory in it, and god knows Fates as a whole is starved for those. Granted, it's not particularly good world building or backstory, but you take what you can get.

Yeah, about that...

The stuff he says is covered in his supports with Corrin. He just had more time when he had the A support to see the crystal, since he already told Corrin that stuff.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

hey girl you up posted:

Dark Flier Felicia - She's a little weak and underpowered, so giving her access to steroids, tomes, and better movement should help her start to contribute again.

:crossarms: Have you been reading the updates?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Ugh, the deeprealms. Awakening had children characters, so this game decided to have them too. Of course, the children of Awakening were connected to the time travel plot that was integral to the story of awakening, but these children really have no point in being here.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

Vote 5 times for who plays in this chapter, top 3 gets locked in for the rest of the game: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574238

Vote for Kana's new class: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574238

These are going to the same poll.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

If said someone had just managed to get Lucina, I'd have an easier time believing you. At least Lucina joins during the story, and someone could had just somehow not gotten Chrom a single support point with any of his marriage options (resulting in village girl) so no nodes would appear on the map. And then never managed to get a single S rank with anyone else either. Incredulous perhaps, but at least I could see that.

I'm pretty sure the person married a female Robin with Chrom. Maybe they never got S-ranks with anyone else, and never figured out what caused Morgan to exist? This might make more sense if they didn't get Chrom and Robin to an S-rank and they just married because they had the highest support level.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Cythereal posted:

With all this plot stuff around Azura, does anything change if Corrin marries her? Or is she off-limits due to plot?

Nope, Corrin can marry her. In fact, she has different supports depending on which story you are following.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

inthesto posted:

Corrin also has the choice of marrying one of the children.

Don't think about it too hard. Or at all, really.

Corrin: "By the way, I'm going to marry your daughter"
Other person: "Could you wait until they are at least a week old?"

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Junpei posted:

Here's how I would have done it:

Have them have crazy high stats everywhere except for their weak spots.

In that case, they would just dodge everything and hit (and they would hit with "crazy high" skill) like a truck. Twice.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

at least by modern standards.

Her adulthood isn't modern standards. It's Middle ages standards.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Keep her

She is good as an archer, and you need all the good characters you can get for Conquest.

Edit:

Tae posted:

Guys, you have to also mention who you're taking out because Mozu's the odd girl out for deployment.

Drop Arthur

Since we are getting two axe units in the next map.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 23, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

How Rude posted:

it always struck me that the main motivation for joining Nohr was because you liked the siblings there more than the hoshido siblings, Garon not being the main factor in the slightest

No, the main reason for joining Nohr was because it was advertised as giving an experience closer to older games instead of Awakening, with limited resources and EXP. I loved Awakening, but I wanted more of a challenge than it provided.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Cythereal posted:

And Hoshido is apparently far more talented and better equipped, going by the difficulty.

Yeah, Hoshido is supposed to be the easiest of the three routes, and Nohr is supposed to be the hardest. I guess if Corrine was not involved, Hoshido would have beaten Nohr in this war.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

It was based on a popularity poll (possibly a Japan only one?) if I recall. For the Second Gen, Severa, Inigo and Owain (and Lucina I think, but they couldn't bring her here because... she's too plot important? I don't really know) were at the top. For the First Gen, it was Gaius, Cordelia and Tharja.

It was the poll that decided which characters would have extra scenes in Awakening for the Hot-Springs Scramble and Summer Scramble DLC. Chrom was the fourth character from the first gen, so like Lucina, he also wasn't put in this game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

And thus, we have our first example of why the Nohrian siblings are better than the Hoshido ones.

There will be more.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

McGwee posted:

I hope I can word this right, but I actually liked the scene where Inigo and Peri jump in. It sorta shows why they're the Crown Prince's retainers and not just soldiers of the army. Ryoma's didn't really come across that way... I think. Birthright sorta blurred for me. I played Conquest before Birthright so...

Ryoma's two retainers each both showed up at the end of a chapter (different chapters, though), with one of them having been kidnapped until just then, to try to explain why they never mentioned her before.

In fact, they get more focus during Conquest than Birthright.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 30, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

PassingPie posted:

Was that the same song she was always singing in Birthright?

Yes, but a different verse than the one in Birthright.

Also,

Tae posted:

...No. I did not.

I like to think that even Azura is incredulous about Corrine not recognizing her here.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Everytime the avatar says or does something stupid in Conquest, take a shot.

You say that like they only do this in Conquest.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

PSkill: Forceful Partner-If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s Hit rate +15, damage +3

10 speed is horrific, and 17 strength is also pretty slow for someone that is 10 levels away from the cap. A reminder of his growths

Growth Rates
HP: 65
STR: 25
MAG: 0
SKL: 15
SPD: 5
LCK: 20
DEF: 25
RES: 0

He's stuck with those stats if you ever manage to level him up when most of the party aren't ready to promote. I don't even know how he got 24 skill. The only thing making him useful is being fed a lot of tonics and tanking this map.

The best part of his appearance here is that his stats make no sense from his growth rates. In 7 levels (he was level 3 at the start of the game) he gained:
10 HP
7 strength
9 skill
2 speed
4 luck
10 defense
2 resistance

Also, this is my favorite Conquest map due to it's gimmick.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, why not use Azura's magical orb in front of the Nohrian siblings to reveal Garon is a goop monster? Why did Azura not do this when she first joined? Why does the orb only have one use before it breaks? Explain yourself, game!

From what Azura was saying, it might be that the image of Garon as a slime monster can only be seen by people who have high magical power or Corrine. So Leo might see the slime, but the other siblings would only see the crystal. Maybe.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

inthesto posted:

Elise's retainers really are the best

I agree. She picked both of them because she thought they were cool. Arthur, being a Medieval superhero, and Effie because they only knew each other for a few hours, yet she worked her butt off to see her again.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, I didn't realize this was a gold mission. I just killed everyone cuz I could've used the levels. :v:

Same here. I had no idea that you would gain gold from sending the enemies away.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

At least Keaton only attacked us when he thought we killed one of his friends, and was willing to let us go before then. Kaden tricks is into an ambush as soon as we run into him.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

And now, not only does Odin's kid gets one of their better options for a mother, but Lissa gains an adorable daughter-in-law and grandchild. Win-win all around.

And gets the right hair color. This is important.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tae posted:

Thou Lord Xander! Would thine desirest to ride to the batt—um, the kerfuffle with us?

"Witnesses report he joined the fight in an attempt to impress a local barmaid."

Beruka and Leo are out. Peri and Niles are gone forever.

The Nohrian siblings have the best supports in the game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

...Regardless of whether or not this is true (it's not, the best supports generally involve Beruka or Oboro, because they're actually multifaceted characters, or the Awakening trio), using Xander's supports with these two as your example is hilarious.

Inigo's support is an Inigo support. It's relatively similar to several he's had before, and it's far more reflective on Inigo than who he's interacting with.

And then we have Peri. Peri, who has murdered untold numbers of her family servants, attempts to murder at least one - and I believe multiple - party member during their support, and is about to murder a shopkeep in another support (which implies she's probably actually done so multiple times before). Xander objects to, or attempts to discourage her from doing, precisely none of this. For those who've blotted previous portions of the story from their mind, Xander is the one complaining about Garon releasing Hans because he's a murderer. The only thing this support does is confirm he's the absolutely worst party member in the game.

I mean overall they have the best supports, though I don't disagree with your view of Xander/Peri. I stand by Xander/Lazlow, specifically their A support, though :colbert:.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

Is it even possible to support grind Odin and Elise enough in chapters 8/9? I mean his only other marriage options would Felicia if you had M!Avatar and Nyx/Azura, both in chapter 9.

You can use DLC maps and fight on other players' maps. You don't get experience (except for the grinding map) from them on Conquest, but you do get the points towards supports.

Also, at least Odin has been to Ophelia's Deeprealm enough for her to both copy his quirks and not have obvious abandonment issues, and for him to be fully aware of his daughter's personality, which makes him one of the better fathers. Many of the other fathers have no idea what their kids act like at the time we meet them.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

So, a 1 to 1 trade. Not quite, as it turns out. Going along with Garon led to the death of the Rainbow Sage, who - dumb tests aside - knows a lot about the world that our protagonists had no other way to find out.

About this specific point, it's implied that the Rainbow sage is going to die in Birthright, just not in front of us, like in Conquest.

As for attacking Hoshido, remember that Corrine avoids killing people, compared to Birthright, where she isn't avoiding deaths. If anything, more people ultimately die in Birthright than in Conquest.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Apparently this S-rank conversation is supposed to be a continuation of their support in Awakening, and the bracelet is the ring he tried to give her in their A-rank conversation.

Edit: Apparently, it was always a bracelet in Japan, but for Awakening it was changed to a ring.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 21, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Wheres the option to A+ forrest into malig knight?

Nowhere. None of the children that we have recruited give him a Wyvern rider class set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Either Azura just turned evil, or you mixed up almost all of Iago's faces with Azura's.

• Locked thread