Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I loved these games and definitely purchased the two other storylines through DLC. While there were a lot of head desk moments, I overall loved these games.

I also loved hearing at the video game store about guys who bought Conquest because it was harder and then returned it, crying.

Are there votes for who to use? Because I vote to use Rinkah as much as humanly possible. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I would assume those people thought Conquest would be similar to Awakening, not realizing that Conquest is built more around strategies from much earlier games or having to understand the AI's behavior and exploiting weaknesses.

As far as I can tell, that's why. I played Birthright first, decided I loved the games and their silly, silly stories, and wanted more of that.
Besides, you can set your game to Casual and Normal. It's really ok to just enjoy the games.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Oh my goodness, I never noticed Azura's pigeon toe before and NOW I CAN'T UNSEE IT. :mad:

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Wallet Inspector posted:

Mozu is Donnel but less so. Not nearly as annoying to level up initially, nowhere near as powerful once trained. I'm not a fan, but that's because I don't really like Archers, even with the damage buff Fates gave them. 2 range lock sucks.

Also there's another obvious choice for archer in the main party, though I admit I haven't tried training up Mozu in Fates. Hmmm.

My Rinkah and Orochi always end up incredibly beefy and I love Hana more than her upcoming counterpart. Her supports with Sakura are very :unsmith:
I want to like Subaki but he just never seems to perform for me; even when I spend the time to train him up he's just meh.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Ahaha, tying Fates into the beginning of Awakening is so cheesy and I love it.

Clearly you should steroid up Rinkah and make her a Lord ::ducks::

Actual suggestion is Lodestar for Saizo. Double down on the speedy killer thing.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Black Feather posted:

At first I thought Corrin's bad memory was just a sort of joke (people meeting him once and remembering him because he's a prince, while he didn't pay any attention to them), but now I'm starting to wonder if perhaps it's something his loving family shouldn't be a little more worried about. A few more battles with Ryoma and he'll forget about him, too!

That would make more sense than the dumb selective memory loss thing they have going on. I mean, memory is honestly a tricky thing and it's harder when you're trying to double-think about your family of origin (Garon really loves me even though I have vague memories of a guy with his distinctive beard grabbing me by the face and he orders me locked in a castle my entire memorable life but he's an awesome dad!), but it's so poorly explained.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Black Feather posted:

In my defense, this LP is my first experience with Fire Emblem and I honestly expected things to make sense.

Tbh, this one made a lot less sense than previous games. Despite that, I really like the Fates games

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Iago at least makes sense as someone we want to kill: he's demonstrated desire to hurt us and even managed to, so when we kill him, it feels good. We accomplished something. Whereas Hans has only one character trait (likes to kill/hurt others) and all the times he hosed us over, he got away with it not because he's superbadass, but Cutscene Magic TM. It's kinda funny when the Cutscene Magic is taken away and you can steamroll him, but it feels as cheap as all his kills.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Omobono posted:

Can we split the difference and go with Athena instead?

I second Athena and the idea of wyvern riding axe user, though lances would fit the name better.

Also, god drat this dialogue is bad. We know it's the big boss, we're keyed up, and this dialogue just... sucks. Bravo for using accessories in cutscenes to show proper respect for this poo poo.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
These stories are huge examples of being told not shown - especially the 'Garon was a stern but good father idk what happened'. Mikoto as a person whose death should evoke our sadness, though that could be a case of an innocent is killed oh gods that's sad... if there weren't then all these other examples. Like Lillith. The audience can't be sad about something with the characters if the author hasn't given reasons to be sad. You don't just get to say THIS IS SAD BE SAD and have it happen.

A Codex could have given some backstory to try to give this background? Like Garon being a good dad, or Corrin spending any time with Lillith, or Mikoto's past, maybe?

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
So, I'll at least say that there's some emotional sense in not wanting to betray your Nohr siblings, who you grew up with. Some better writing could make that better, or at least not hit us in the face with the HURR DURR MURDER-DAD HAS TRIED TO KILL ME FOUR TIMES IMMA ASK HIM WHY.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Why the hell is Corrine so whiny at the end? From what I could see, the Rainbow Sage died of old age, so there was literally nothing she could've done. Or was there a sound effect that I missed because the scene is text-only here?

This is another bad writing that really got to me. Like, why are you so ridiculously upset about the self-sacrifice of this old man who just said "hey it's ok I'd rather not get so old I go insane" when MurderDad said "you have to kill him". You weren't even this visibly upset that YOUR MOTHER died.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
I kinda love Peri and her complete psychopathy. Also, her bubblegum hair. Too bad she never pans out stat-wise for me.

See, if there was more of this morally ambiguous behavior from the Hoshidans in all the paths, it wouldn't be so lopsided. Tl;dr if the writing was only better...

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
[quote="Glazius" post="472571964"]
Losing counterattack power actually seems like a good thing, since you don't clear out space for someone else to run up and wreck your face.

This. Also, while I prefer Selena with Odin Dark, this support is pretty damned cute

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Glazius posted:

I think this is a consequence of a lot of the characters feeling... overdesigned? Like, that villager doesn't have a dozen different armor plates or filigrees, and the art style's good for that.

Yes. Sometimes more buckles or zippers are cool, but most of the time it isn't.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Junpei posted:

Yeah, while some of his designs are relatively cool and interesting, I've always preferred more simple and clean designs, when it comes to characters.

Well done :tipshat:

I dunno, I kinda like Ophelia as Sorceror.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
CptWedgie, you seem really mad about the definition of 'cheating' in FireEmblem, which could be semantic or opinion, depending on where you stand. Maybe you should take a break?

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

dude789 posted:

Exactly, I don't even understand how a single player RPG can "cheat" unless it's actively creating an unwinnable situation for the player. It's not like the computer gets any satisfaction from causing a game over. The game presents a puzzle and gives you the tools to solve it. It doesn't matter if the tools it gave you to solve the puzzle aren't the same ones it used to make it.

Thank you for articulating this better than I could!

And I voted for a new female My Unit, and fully agree with super ridiculous. Some of the facial expressions look so unamused witheverything; Tae should combine that with wild hair in a clashing color.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I'd vote for purple's expression but I don't like the nose bandage (what trope is this anyway..?), so red hair it is.

Anime boxing? Nose bandaids but no missing teeth or traumatic brain injury?

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Aaaaand here we go! The most irritating to me as consumer of media is that this doesn't make sense from the others. Like, if this is the ~*~true story~*~ then it should make the others make sense and be ultimately deducable from them.

And is anyone else creeped out by Azura's look over her shoulder as you fall that seems to say "did you really fall for my trick? Pitiful mortal." Or is it just me?

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
I'm also baffled by the "some paths are best not taken" thing. Like not having bought all three of these games???

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

i once heard it said that video game plots are just collections of things that happen with no logic or throughline connecting them, and while i felt that was pretty harsh it's an incredibly accurate criticism of fates' plot. even in birthright, but especially in conquest and revelation, things just kind of happen, they're forgotten about, and then the next thing happens. super mario brothers 3 has a more logical progression of narrative

It is harsh for some games, but not this one. It's more like a bad episodic show where all that matters is what happens in the current episode.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Outside of being the one who orchestrated Azura's kidnapping, Yukimura really has little relevance on the plot. You honestly could replace Yukimura with anyone else and get the same results as what Fates actually delivered. That's how pointless Yukimura is in the overall grand scheme of things.

Not that Fire Emblem doesn't do this elsewhere, but if any other character can do the job, that first character needs to be cut. That's narrative 101.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

it's an insanely minor detail but why did a scout throw a shuriken at us and blow his cover. they're ninjas.

Excuse you, they're HONORLESS ninjas. Everyone knows that negates common sense.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
I vote that you use as many ninjas as possible: Kazw, Saizo, Kagero, marry ppl to the ninjas and heart seal them to ninja. Just all ninja, all the time.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

PassingPie posted:

I want to see Nyx and Orochi and all the other bad characters whose names I can't remember kill the final boss.

This plz. :D
Throw a healer in for good measure, though. Gotta give Tae something to work with.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

LEGO Genetics posted:

RIP Scarlet, we hardly knew ye. You got the shittiest death in this entire game and that is saying something. I think the devs had a special hatred for you.

I got a strong vibe that Scarlet was based on someone's ex and so they were killing her off ha ha ha :(

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
While I like Peri, isn't she off the table? I vote Corrine

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Camilla because I like this kid and want her to rock.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That this design isnt a normal recruit character is something I cannot forgive intsys for.

That would make some of this silliness worth it.

Can we recruit this person? More to the point, should we?

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Ozdhaka posted:

Yeah sure, let Nyx (try to) raise a kid, that'll go well.

But she doesn't have to! You just birth them, then leave them in the Deeprealm for a few weeks and voila! Full grown human! Complete with ~*-*~issues~*-*~

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
I vote Rinkah because I like her style and wish she turned out better in my games :smith:

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And then the ghosts will let him fight his true enemy.

Pac-Man.

I'm pretty sure you just wrote a better story than Fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Glazius posted:

He is just so salty that we didn't completely trust him. I mean, apparently that was the only way he could stay a real boy, so I kind of get it.

That always amuses me, how angry he is that we weren't, for some out-of-character reason, completely fooled.

• Locked thread