Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Brain cells... dying... so... stupid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Elise trained at the Lilina school of Caps Magic Stupid Fast.

Effie, meanwhile, went to the Oswin school of Knights With Decent Speed.

And Arthur is actually a good example of gameplay/story intergration: Arthur has terrible luck as a character, and he has terrible Luck as a unit!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Odin's growths make it better for him to go Dark Knight (the okay-but-not-great Strength growth means he can actually be a decent sword user). The other Dark Mage is definitely meant to go Sorcerer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

mandatory lesbian posted:

odin's growths make it better for him to go to the bench

Well, maybe I got lucky with him! That's what you hope for with Erk-types: you either go big or go home.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You should have named it Blazing Sword, to fit with Owain's gimmick of referencing previous FE titles through attacks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Scratch what I said about Elise, Nyx is the true attender of the Lilina school of Nuke The Enemies And Burn The Ashes. If you think Nyx's skill growth sucks, play FE6: Lilina has a 20% Skill growth.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
While I do like this map, it's basically blatant "HEY BUY REVELATION YOU DINGUS".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For anyone worried: Echoes's story is officially confirmed by Japanese players to be Not poo poo and is actually Quite Good.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, some of you may disagree with me on this, but I will admit that this game does do one thing right writing-wise, and that's having Nohrian and Hoshidan characters contrast and reflect each other. Let's start with the younger sisters and their retainers.

Elise is a perky, hyperactive and peppy younger sister, while Sakura's a shy, demure, and quiet one
Arthur is loud, proud, and energetic hero, while Subaki is just as proud, but more introverted and narcissistic.
Effie and Hana are both the best friends of who they serve, but Hana's more focused on being a good retainer while Effie's focused on being a good protector.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why isn't there a Berserker Class Overview?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

Because I'm doing that next update

Okay, cool.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...am I the only one who thinks Odin would make a good henshin hero, while Ophelia would be a good magical girl?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, uh, Echoes just came out, and holy hell does it do Fates's plot a heck of a lot better than Fates itself did.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

If you guys wanna take Echoes talk to the thread itself, feel free. I kinda don't want people being spoiled by it randomly here because most westerners never played Gaiden and there's a lot of new stuff in Echoes regardless.

My apologies.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ah, Soleil. Easily one of, if not THE most controversial character in this game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, and Soleil's base class's promotion allows her to learn Sol, which I find hysterical.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

AradoBalanga posted:

Thankfully, Tetsuya Nomura hasn't graced the franchise yet.

Yeah, while some of his designs are relatively cool and interesting, I've always preferred more simple and clean designs, when it comes to characters.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*bangs head on a wall*

On a lighter note, I have an idea for all the writers out there: Without changing the characters and setting, how would you have re-written Birthright and all that we've seen of Conquest up to this point?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
:eng101: Suzanoh, or as it should be romanized, Susanooh, was the Japanese god of storms. Even if this game has a plot that would be rejected by the world's cheapest publishing agency if it was a book, it at least has some educational content!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thank goodness IntSys went back to a good plot with solid writing in Echoes. Even without giving away anything, there are some chuckle-worthy lines there, unlike here, where all funny lines are in the "so bad it's funny" category.

"Shut up, Tobin" comes to mind, but Mae and Boey trade a few great quips as well ("Roasting marshmallows", anyone?)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

that's not really intsys so much as the different translators.

The translators didn't write the basic plot for Fates, IntSys did. Sure, I can say that Echoes has a better overall translation than Fates, but I'd rather have a good plot that was translated sub-parly rather than an excellently translated plot that sucked.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CptWedgie posted:

The fact that Echoes is a remake of Gaiden might have something to do with it; maybe they're just the kind of writers who can't do anything original to save their lives, but they can elaborate on a plot someone else made just fine.

...I can't believe I said that with a straight face.

...so they're destined to write fanfiction? ...I can't believe I just said that. Then again, I have some sort of natural talent to tell if a fic is good or not just by reading a synopsis.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Camel Pimp posted:

I mean, you can definitely tell that the original script of Echoes is better than Fates even in translation (I mean, unless the translation team completely rewrote Echoes which is a bit unlikely nowadays) But JRPGs are carried more by charm and character than plot, so I'd argue that the better translation is a bit more important. Besides a good plot would get mangled by a bad translator anyway.

I didn't say BAD translation, I said SUB-PAR. Breath of Fire 1 had a sub-par translation. Breath of Fire 2 had a bad one. One is simply wooden and dry, the other is full of grammar mistakes and renamed characters.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

You were writing out specific snappy lines though, which is the work of the translators.

Well, yeah, you have a point, but those lines had to have existed in some way, shape or form in the original Japanese script.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Not really at all. The sentiment being expressed is often but not always in the original script, but the line itself is always made up for the translation. Like, always. Literal translations of Japanese into English don't exist. The JP line for 'shut up, tobin' is just a rude dismissal, then Tobin's name. and there's a billion ways you could translate that that would be more or less natural. "Be quiet, Tobin," which is less rude, "You don't know what you're talking about, Tobin,' which isn't as snappy, "Cram it, Tobin.' You could even totally rewrite it so that Gray redirects the conversation back to Clive, since Clive picks up talking after that line. "Like you could understand what a knight's been through. Right, Clive?"

You could hand that whole exchange to a hundred different translators and get a hundred and one different versions of it, some of which would be really dry, some of which would be funny, and at least two of which would involve Gray calling Tobin a cuck. and it's like that for every line in every video game that's ever been translated, pretty much.

Wow. I legitimately did not know this. Thank you for telling me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

The game cheating is fun. The best maps in FE5 are the ones where it cheats. Fire Emblem is a tactical series where the plot is almost always about a weaker army managing to overcome a much stronger one due to Friendship and Strategy. Every enemy in every FE game should cheat.

...you're one of those people who likes FE5 Fog of War and the teleport tiles, aren't you.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Heaven Spacey posted:

"Shadow Yato" is a goofy-rear end name and I'm really surprised the translators couldn't think of something a little less ridiculous-sounding like "Umbral Yato" or "Shrouded Yato" or something like that.

Which brings up a point of trivia I've been wanting to share: The Yato's original Japanese names.

Firstly, the base form is known as 夜刀神 (or Yato-no-Kami). Yato-no-kami are snake deities in Japanese folklore appearing in the Hitachi No Kuni Fudoki. It literally means God of the Night Sword.

The Noble Yato was 夜刀神 • 空夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Kūya, literally Yato-no-Kami - Empty Nights).

The Blazing Yato was 夜刀神 • 白夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Byakuya lit. Yato-no-Kami - White Nights)

The Grim Yato was 夜刀神 • 長夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Chōya lit. Yato-no-Kami - Long Nights)

And then, the Shadow Yato was 夜刀神 • 暗夜 (Yato-no-Kami - Anya lit. Yato-no-Kami - Dark Nights)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Suddenly, the Grim and Shadow Yatos seem like good names.

Are you saying the Japanese names are terrible?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can we all at least agree that they did the soundtrack right? Because Fates's soundtrack is extraordinary.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This guy makes me look like the Guinness Book of World Record's World's Best Poster, and considering how crappy I am, that's saying something.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RevolverDivider posted:

for the sake of everyone especially yourself please stop posting in this thread. I have a whole new realm of appreciation for Junpei's posting now.

Aw, thanks!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Face, meet Desk. AND THIS IS FROM SOMEBODY WHO DOESN'T MIND THE BLOOD PACTS IN RD.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The plot hurts worse than that magic trick where a guy sits in a barrel while the magician sticks swords into the sides of the barrel, except with actual swords sticking into the barrel guy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Bruceski posted:

The plot hurts worse than that analogy.

Yeah, that was a pretty lovely analogy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, it's been a decent length since the last time I asked this, and we've received a bit of new information from mid-Conquest into to start-of-Revelations, so I think this is an opportune time to ask this again: Without major changes, how would you change the plot to be better?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun fact: The Yato's handle is based on a vajra, a weapon from India.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And this is the part where I almost kill myself banging my head against the wall.

For the love of Naga, I hope they fired everyone involved with writing this story.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MightyPretenders posted:

FE2 was when the developers were thinking "Okay, that was cool. Let's do something else on the same world."

FE3 was when they realized "Well, that didn't turn out quite as well as we hoped. Let's get back to our first bunch of characters. I have an idea..."

FE4: Let's make this more serious and deconstruct it a little!
FE5: Let's make it super hard, but also really dark, but strangely satisfying!
FE6: Let's return to our roots!
FE7: Let's make a more personal story!
FE8: Let's try and re-do what we did with Gaiden again!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Was that C support real? :psyduck:

I chose to believe that it's a parody of fans making unofficial supports for edgy characters like FE7 Karel and Jaffar that are literally just "...". It dulls the sting that SOMEBODY CHANGED IT FROM THE JAPANESE SUPPORT, WHICH WAS THEM ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT HOW THEY'RE BOTH ASSASSINS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BlackPersona posted:

Don't be ridiculous, Hoshido doesn't need assassins, they're pure and good and wholesome and Magic-anti-bad-thoughts barrier! :buddy:

...when you put it that way, it makes them sound either incredibly creepy or like total Mary Sues/Marty Stus.

• Locked thread