Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

His Japanese name is Macbeth, if you can believe it.

Also, Garon's happy portrait is the best. :allears:

Not gonna lie, Macbeth is a lot less evil sounding than Iago. Macbeth used to be a hero, Iago was always an evil lying maybe a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Trust me, Corrin is not the only stupid character here. Sure, he's incredibly stupid, but behind every great idiot there are a ton of enablers.

Looking forward to seeing these games as I got stuck in Conquest.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm still not sure why the Nohr kids are so loyal to King Immabadguy when he's literally willing to murder their brother in front of them and basically threatened to murder them for not committing war crimes.

I mean, really, from what we've seen the pragmatic way to end this would be to go get all the kids from both houses, beat up Immabadguy, and end this war quickly.

But I will have a lot more to say on this when we get to Conquest.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Whoa dude we don't have any support ranks yet.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Glazius posted:

So I guess Team Nohr has gotten really good at illusions?

Team Nohr's dark mages can do all kinds of cool cutscene stuff involving illusions, teleportation, and necromancy.

Unfortunately their actual combat magic is...kinda lacking.

I've only played through part of Conquest, so seeing these guys on the players team is an interesting change for me.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Are we voting 6 guys to deploy, or 6 people to bench?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Spatula City posted:

I would appreciate it if Zola DIDN'T betray Corrin, but the game writing is clearly not good enough for that to be the case. Of course the creepy enemy dude is going to inevitably betray them. but, ugh, it's so obnoxiously telegraphed. Not to mention, if he wasn't going to betray Corinn, he'd be a unit in battle by now. Game mechanics give it away as much as anything. bad writers, bad bad writers.

I'm amazed by the last scene that no one seems to have figured out that dark mages can summon dark spirits and whether this "heroic" salvation was staged, but hey, Fates.

I mean, I was curious to see if Zola became a fieldable dark mage on the Birthright side but I'm guessing not.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That looks like a final boss.

Though it does explain a lot of the crap in Conquest.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Space Bat posted:

At the same time, Julian kills children so gently caress him and gently caress Lopto

Does he? I got the impression it was forced inductions into the cult.

Granted, being a dark mage in FE-land is a mixed bag, because you get sweet powers but also get killed by blue-haired snowflakes by the truckload.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

On the Tharja chat - you guys are missing that she's also a really powerful character mechanically. Give her a Nosferatu, keep her in Dark Mage/Sorcerer and you can throw her into legions of bad guys and she'll murder them all and come out unscathed.

Granted, I married her on my playthroughs so I might be somewhat biased.

Dancers are great, always use dancers.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Azama and Corrin

We must strip Corrin of his noble status as punishment for his stupidity.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So, um, can't Kaze teleport like he does whenever he enters/exits battle?

I literally don't know what went into this scene other than enough crack to kill a fully grown orca whale.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Great Lord Oboro.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I leave for three days, I come back and we've taken a deep dive into stupid.

I suddenly don't regret finishing these games.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Leo's not even a sorcerer

his class can only use Anima magic

his personal tome summons a goddamn tree

what is with all this "darkness" poo poo

Seriously, he's the guy who spared the random prisoners at the request of his little brother, now he's going all necromancer on us? When the hell did this happen?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tae posted:

Leo's used the tree thing like 10 minutes into the game.

I even called him Treeo at one point.

:cripes:

This is what I get for being distracted by Flora's death, followed by the Hoshidan Lannisters.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The fact that there are whole villages living in the Deeprealms seems, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, like you could go 5 Princes of Amber and pull whole armies out of nowhere quickly.

You could make a whole setting out of this.

Naturally, we don't.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Make your own pot jokes!

Seriously Midori looks...12?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm guessing being a Fire Emblem singer/dancer unit doesn't really give you a background in music theory.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

About Corrin's wife's supports with Kana: are they the same for all wives? I know I've seen that C convo on a completely different character in a completely different route.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Are there any interviews with these guys?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ah, that moment in every video game villain's career where the devs take away his cutscene powers.

Death soon follows.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This actually works.

We know and like Elise, and this seems like something she'd actually do.

I mean we all know Xander is just gonna get pissed off and fight to the death out of grief, but eh.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is the part where I continue to wonder why the remaining Nohr troops don't just desert upon seeing that their tyrannical boss can be killed.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Meh, we got bizarro incest subplot out of it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Elin

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is Garon seriously ripping off Voldemort's line from Harry Potter?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Oh man, all the people talking about how stupid this is - this is the tip of the iceberg. It really, really is.

That said, I went with Nohr because I paid for Conquest and liked the Nohr siblings.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw the Anankos scene I thought Garon was trolling by making up a stupid ritual no one would question and using it to rule by fiat decree.

The discovery that he's not is very disappointing.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Bench Odin

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Omobono posted:

Absolutely the second.
Conquest Corrine ought to be organizing an hostile takeover of the throne the second she's back in Nohr. They wrote murderdad too blatantly evil for anything but that, so a working split would be having the first half of Conquest setting up the rebellion, convincing the other sibling to get on board, getting a couple victories on Hoshido so you have some breathing space when you trigger the civil war, and other various preparations; while the second half of Conquest would be the actual Nohrian civil war, with maybe a couple repel Hoshido maps again.

First choice would be interesting, but it absolutely can't work with the Nohr siblings as they are written right now. You'd have to retool their personality a lot.

This is kinda what they advertised, as the Conquest route is supposedly about changing the evil empire from within. I can't say more because of spoilers, but this is explicitly not what she does and it takes her way too drat long to figure out King Immabadguy is actually evil. It's 30 kinds of stupid.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ugh, this map kicked my rear end so hard, but I finally beat it on hard/classic.

Yes I am bad at fire emblem, why do you ask?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So what I'm hearing is, I need to emergency train up Charlotte to fill my ranks in my current Conquest run.

I am NOT starting over because I do not want to deal with Chapter 9 again.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You want to change the empire and realize that Garon is an evil bad guy? Work with the drat ninjas and kill his rear end!

I don't think it's a spoiler to say the actual plan is super loving dumb.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Omobono posted:

I won't lie, Corrine twisting all that bullshit about rebellion and throwing it back into Iago and murderdad's face was awesome. Too bad about the rest of the route.

Seconded.

Really, though, the actual plan is still bullshit.

I would have seriously been ok playing Evil Corrine where she knows about all Garon's bullshit and is just waiting to betray him so she could have become Dark Lady, would have beat the hell out of what we actually got.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Both of those are Odin/Leo.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This map took me quite a while.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The problem with Xander is that from what we see he doesn't have a very good reason to be devoted to Garon, at all. You can see what they wanted to go for - a good man struggling to win his father's approval - but it never clicks because Garon is never portrayed as anything other than King Immabadguy

It would have worked a lot better if Garon became an evil guy only a few years back. Change the kidnapping scene to have Sumeragi trying to murder Garon instead, Garon wins the fight, sees Sumeragi's kid he brought with him but can't see a way to safely send him/her back and adopts them. Maybe give us some flashbacks to Garon and Corrin playing catch and Garon teaching Corrin respect for life or something, only for Garon to go nuts because he's possessed by that demon dragon thing, and now Corrin and the Nohr royals are trying to fight a token war with Hoshido while actually looking for a cure for Garon's madness.

Naturally, we got King Immabadguy instead, because the writers of this game aren't good at their jobs.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eh, my unit as a mage is pretty good too.

I may have done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Just beat this map for the first time last night on Hard/Classic.

I despise this map.

• Locked thread