Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Effective speed is pretty poorly explained in-game, and so many people seem to get confused by it. The easiest way to think about it is that a unit has two effective speeds, one that is used to determine if it performs a double attack, and one used to determine if its opponent gets to perform a double attack. The tricky part is that these two can be different numbers during the same exact battle.

For example, take Hinoka (who makes this even more confusing by having a skill that only changes effective speed on Player Phase):
Her speed is 15, if she attacks (assuming she initiates the attack) she has 17 effective speed when it comes to her own ability to double (+5 from darting blow, and -3 from the Steel Naginata, for +2 total). This means she will double any enemy with 12 effective speed or lower.

Now, when it comes to the enemy's ability to double her, she has 15 effective speed, because there is nothing changing that (She does not have 12 effective speed because Steel weapons do not change the unit's ability to BE doubled). This means that an enemy needs 20, not 17 speed to double her. There are weapons that do lower this type of effective speed. If Hinoka was using a Javelin, for example, her effective speed would become 10 (Javelin drops this effective speed by 5, which is indicated by saying it makes the user weak to follow up attacks, -5 speed) and as such, the enemy only needs 15 effective speed to double her. If Hinoka was on offense with the Javelin (again, assuming she initiates the attack) she would have 20 effective speed, from darting blow (which doesn't actually matter, since Javelins can not ever initiate double attacks).

Now there are also some weapons that effective both types of effective speed at the same time, meaning you could theoretically have a match where both units are able to perform followup attacks if their speeds are close enough. It's confusing, but it is not too difficult to keep track of once you understand how it works. And of course, changes in effective speed only affect the unit's ability to double or be doubled, the unit's speed, for anything else speed does (namely avoid), is whatever number you see on the stats screen. Sorry for the :bravo2: I just wanted to make sure everyone understood what was happening, since it obviously is relevant the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

inthesto posted:

This would be demanding far too much out of any Fire Emblem game, much less Fates.

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to have Fates be Order vs Chaos, considering Radiant Dawn already brought up the idea of order and chaos as energies in the world, just say that one kingdom is chock-full of one type and the other kingdom has the other.

Speaking of Radiant Dawn, for everyone who dislikes the story in Fates, it really isn't much worse than what has always been for Fire Emblem. I would say Radiant Dawn has a worse story than Fates.

But really, I never go to Fire Emblem for a gripping, or even coherent story, I go for good gameplay, and at the very least, Conquest has really good gameplay.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno, I never expected a good story out of these games (or like 99% of games), but you can have a simple, well told story with likable characters, which a bunch of games do manage and is more important for a video game to nail IMO. Fates...yeah, poo poo starts speaking for itself after a point.

Fair enough, and don't get me wrong, even by the low standards set by Fire Emblem and video games in general, I think Fates has a poor story. I just think it's strange that all across the internet, people just hate this game's story so much, when the series already had the bar set pretty low. Even Awakening had an incredibly generic Fire Emblem story, the only element to make it particularly unique it from every other Fire Emblem is the time travel shenanigans, which was really more for having adult children to fight with you than it was a compelling plot point. At the very least, it is interesting to see Fates try to shake things up, even though it's a minor shake up at best.

Just like what has already been said in the thread, I certainly take issue with the fact that Hoshido is overly sympathetic, and Nohr is not nearly sympathetic enough, to the point where the game seems to call Corrin an idiot for siding with Nohr at every possible turn. I guess I'm mainly just surprised by how the number one reaction I ever see for Fates is how much people dislike the game due to the story.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

FE5 and FE9 have pretty good stories for what they are. They interact with the mechanics of the game, have a proper tone that isn't contradicted by gameplay, some interesting plot and characterization beats, and are exactly as long as they need to be. 5's antagonists are weak, but there's an actual reason for that. And FE4 has a really ambitious, very interesting story, even if its execution is middling due to the limitations of the time. I don't think it's really fair to act like every FE game has a bad story. Fire Emblem has done interesting things with the genre and the medium.

Not to mention, I think it's fair to criticize the game for its story when the story is pretty much what they marketed the game on. There was basically no marketing about the gameplay mechanics besides 'yeah sure it'll be like Awakening,' every bit of advertisement was about the story.

That is definitely true. I guess I would say I find Fire Emblem's narrative strengths to be in world building and characters, which, for example, FE9 does an excellent job of, while the actual plot is generally simple. I do not think that is in any way a bad thing, in fact, I think it is unnecessary for a game, particularly a game set like Fire Emblem, to have some deep, amazing plot.

You also make an excellent point concerning the marketing. I never even considered that, because I always avoid preview stuff for games, but yeah, it would make sense if IS was selling this game as some sort of excellent story that people would be upset when that does not happen.

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like you're equating original with good here.

Not per se. I'm more just playing Devil's Advocate for all the complaints I've seen directed at the story. Like I said, I do not think Fates' story is particularly good, but I am surprised, and perhaps a bit saddened, by the fact that everyone seems to only want to talk about the story. But, like Endorph said, I guess that does make sense if IS wanted to market the game as a great story, which Fates obviously isn't. That does remind me, I think IS even worked with a professional author to work on the story, which would certianly raise the expectations of the story for the game, although I am not positive if that actually happened or not.

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 17, 2017

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

The iwata asks fate interview was two developers and the hired writer.

I thought that was the case. I can see a bigger expectation for story with a hired writer.

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 17, 2017

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Something slightly interesting about Ryoma's fight with the boss: I've played this chapter a bunch of times, and I have never seen Ryoma get hit until at least 3 turns in (On Lunatic at least, that is the only difficulty I play extensively). I have no way to know for sure, but I think the RNG is altered for that fight to ensure Ryoma lives for at least a bit. It is possible I just have strange luck when it comes to that particular part of the game (Ryoma has a ~70% chance of being hit when he is attacked, and a ~40% chance of being hit when he initiates the attack, so it isn't too crazy to not see him get hit for awhile). But the 1st couple of turns are so consistent, I have to imagine something is up. I have seen Ryoma survive exactly one time, after he is done with the boss, he runs around killing everything else. The only thing you get for is less EXP, I don't even remember there being an extra line of dialogue, so you're better off if Ryoma fails.

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 18, 2017

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Omobono posted:

Did they drop the HP growths around the board by about 20 compared to other games? Those numbers feel on the lowish side, again compared to other games.

Azura's growths, holy hell. What's the accuracy/evade formula here? Because in say the GBA games she'd be broken beyond comparison after a few levels (the problem would be getting her there).

Sakura is Lilina, healer version, although trading some Magic growth for speed. Probably a good trade in this case.

Yeah, particularly when it comes to Awakening, where everyone had close to or even above 100%, HP growths in Fates are quite low. There is 1 unit I can think of offhand that even comes close to 100%. Meanwhile, you have Azura, who will usually be around 25 HP at the end of the game, if you're lucky.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Felicia - She is one of the few characters who are UTTER TRASH at their default classes (she has the second-worst innate Strength growth out of ALL playable characters who start out using it, the worst being Gunter), but shine in a different one; she's got really good magic stats and access to a Tomes class. Personally, I like to switch her to the other Troubadour promotion ASAP so she can actually put her much-more-credible Magic growth to good use. As a character... eh, she's alright. I'm not usually fond of the "dojikko" archetype, but she pulls it off pretty well.

I have to disagree. She may be good in a class that uses tomes, but she is probably the best option for the Maid class. Maid/Butlers are great support classes. Besides the obvious healing, their Hidden Weapons will debuff and Felicia's low Str means she probably won't kill, making her an excellent unit to control EXP gain to weaker units. Plus, there are magic based weapons of every weapon type. I recall someone else saying it was hard to obtain, but that isn't really true, it is practically handed to you in one of the routes, and can easily be bought in the other two. Once she starts using that, she can do really good damage at two range, like you would want from a Tome user, but she still has the option to go physical.

Junpei posted:

Sakura is a pretty powerful support unit who helps in defensive situations (unfortunately, Birthright is Awakening 2.0, which means it's a lot of Route and Kill Boss objectives) and when she promotes she has good options: A renamed Sage class that unfortunately has a low-ish Luck cap, hampering her high growth, but giving her great magic offense, and an alternate that has a higher Staff rank, but whose's weapon is Bows. On the plus side, she gets a higher Luck cap and there is a Bow that deals magic damage so she can contribute there, at least on Revelation

To be fair, Sakura's Str growth is not particularly bad. Without considering the extra growth from classes, she actually has a higher growth than Rinkah, and it is higher or comparable to many other physical units (it's only 5 less than Takumi, for example). Add in the fact that bows have a high Mt, she doesn't really have a huge problem with damage.

When it comes to Rinkah, she is worth using on Birthright. If you're lucky, you get a good tank. If you're unluckly, she can at least be used as a pairup partner, since she gives Str and Def, which is semi-rare among Birthright units.

I would say Kaze is hands down the best anti-magic unit in the game, but it speaks more to his competition than him as a unit, so I'll save it when his competition actually shows up.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

The best Anti-mage unit is still technically Felicia because she learns Tomebreaker at level 15 (way before anyone can promote usually) and Hidden Weapons have advantage over Tomes. Having 50 extra avoid means she can solo mages, while Kaze can still get in trouble if the enemy starts doing tag-team assaults, his RES isn't THAT godly.

That is fair, and I guess in Birthright, where enemies can and will zerg rush, it can be useful to have a unit that faces 0% hit from enemies, but when you can actually control the pace of battle, like you generally can in Conquest and Revelation, you never need to take more than, like 3 attacks at a time, and if you are in guard stance, you wind up getting attacked once, if that. I'd take Kaze's ability to actually secure kills when needed, over Felicila, who would probably only be able to soften the mage for someone else, which can be useful, but mages are the one unit I'd like to be dead as soon as possible, as Res is a little hard to come by in this game.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I believe it is referred to that because the dagger name in the Japanese version translates to Hidden Weapon, although I don't know that for sure. It would make sense to just say Daggers, since the Nohr version of the weapons are the "classic" version of the weapons, but the game seems to use Shuriken as the "canon" name for the weapon type, with it being the only Hoshido weapon to be listed first over the Nohr weapon when you look at weapon proficiency. Between that and the fact that Hidden Weapon seemed to stick, I generally just use that, but I imagine Shuriken will wind up being the "canon" name if they return in future games.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what they are referred to as in Heroes? I know there are still both daggers and shurikens in that game, but is the weapon type referred to in anything like a unit stats screen or something similar?

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I guess it's worth noting that Foreign Princess only works in battles that take place in a MyCastle, meaning, it doesn't work for 98% of the game. They somehow managed to take a skill that is already fairly useless for a Dancer to have, and make almost completely useless, and made it incredibly confusing as to its exact mechanics on top of that. It's also rather strange that Voice of Peace only works on Physical damage, as if it would be too broken to just be both types. But she doesn't need either, Inspiring Song is plenty.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

Incorrect. The translation is a bit wonky, but Foreign Princess affects all enemies.

I literally just tested it before posting to make sure it was accurate. Foreign Army refers to enemies that appear in Mulitplayer MyCastle battles (whether it be AI or human versions of another player's army).

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 21, 2017

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
A decent number of Birthright's units, as well as a few in Conquest, have growth rates that do not at all match their class. Rinkah and Subaki are great examples. Rinkah is in a class designed to be a cross of Fighter and Knight, she has awful Str and Hp growths. Subaki is a re-branded Pegasus Knight, a class known for high Spd and Res, he is tied for the lowest Res growth, and is among the worst in Spd. The class change system could theoretically help some of these units, but these units typically have equally bad options. Rinkah makes a pretty bad ninja, and Subaki doesn't change much with Samurai. You can try to use Friendship or Partner Seals, but it takes awhile to build support, and there are some really strange decisions on what classes some units get from these Seals.

Meanwhile, the Royals generally have excellent growths across the board, as well as good to great personal skills, and sometimes even overpowered personal weapons just to really put them over the top. It's not like it's uncommon in Fire Emblem to have units that completely overshadow others, but too many of these units are poorly thought out, and could be made better if they were just in another class, or had their growth rates reflect what their class actually wants.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

...Okay, did you hack his growths or just save-scum? I mean, he's got a pretty bad growth in Defense, unimpressive to bad HP, Resistance even worse than his Defense, insufficient Speed to compensate for his frailty... basically, Subaki's the ANTI-tank. Forget durable, the only way I'd buy him being even REMOTELY relevant by endgame outside of a FLUKE (or save-scumming) is if you started spamming stat boosters on him.

That is just not at all true. Subaki is tied for the highest HP Growth in Birthright, which is 3rd for all units in the game. His Def is tied for the highest in Birthright (it is literally the same as Rinkah), and 3rd for all units in the game. It is true that his Spd and Res are bad, but you are strictly wrong about HP and Def. Subaki in Spear Fighter, which is what Camel Pimp was talking about, can be an alright unit.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, and does it bother any one else that Saizo's magic growth is really high for a non-mage character... and he has no way to really use it barring marrying a mage. I mean, he's got ONE hidden weapon, and that's it. I mean, mages are pretty bad in this game in general (which breaks my little heart...) but Saizo's base magic growth is on par or even better than a lot of mages in the game.

It is rather strange. Saizo's growths are crazy, but they are not particularly good for a Ninja. He really can be good/great in any class, but when you compare Saizo to Kaze as Ninjas, I would rather have Kaze, who is better at what Ninjas were designed to do, taking out mages. Hidden Weapons are good enough that it doesn't really matter if Saizo is a worse Ninja, because there is no such thing as too many Ninjas, but he is really better suited to just about anything but Ninja.

It is frustrating that Saizo's secondary class is Samurai, because it is really not that much different than Ninja, in terms of not taking advantage of his growths, but like I said before, units class options can be baffling at times.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Drop Saizo

Give the Robe to Rinkah

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

The mace he's carrying is 1-2 ranged and enemy only.

To add to this, there are enemy only versions of Iron, Steel, and Silver Swords, Lances, and Axes, as well as thier Hosidan counterparts, which have 1-2 range, generally given to stationary bosses to give them a bit of an edge. As well, there are enemy only Iron, Steel, Silver Bows/Yumi that have 1-2 range.

Also, you have Azama's class set listed for Setsuna.

ohmygorgon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 25, 2017

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

The important thing with Raider weapons is that their unique clothing stripping ability triggers whenever the RNG straight up feels like doing it. Sometimes it's the first blow, sometimes it happens when you land a critical hit or trigger and connect with an offensive skill, sometimes it doesn't even happen at all. On the other hand, +3 to effective speed in combat is by far the biggest appeal of the Raider weapons, as those who have low speed growths or get speed screwed by the RNG benefit from the added boost. The Raider Yumi is a perfect tool for training up an Archer Mozu so she doesn't have to suffer through the letdown of Brass weapons, for instance. Or anyone else who you want to learn a new weapon type either through reclass or promotion, for that matter.

I'm almost positive that is not true. The Raider Weapons stripping ability activates whenever you have the weapon triangle advantage. A unit's armor can break apart and get torn up as they take damage, but that is totally independent from the Raider Weapons, which remove everything as soon as they hit.

I'll also say that there is little reason for Mozu to use a Raider Yumi over a Brass Yumi, considering the Brass is stronger and more accurate. The effective speed boost means almost nothing when Mozu is at E Rank, considering you are going to have a chip the enemy down enough for Mozu to actually get the kill in the first place, and skills like Poison Strike make it pretty simple to get the HP down to 1. While it is definitely useful for her to have in specific situations, Mozu gets pretty little out of the Raider Weapons in general, seeing as before she catches up to the enemies, she'll just be killing weakened enemies, and once she catches up, chances are she is doubling on her own.

While I'm on the topic, it seems like a lot of people hate Bronze/Brass Weapons. The fact that they can't crit or activate skills is a good thing, and when combined with their high accuracy and +10 dodge, they are worth keeping around the entire game, particularly for units with shaky Skl and Luk. And if, for whatever reason, you still cannot accept weapons with low damage, forging in Fates is pretty great. Since weapons have infinite durability, any unit that can make use of a forged weapon can do so throughout the entire game. Just forging a bronze weapon once gives it the same Mt as an Iron, being in E Rank is barely an issue in Fates.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

...How is "less damage" a GOOD thing? I mean, yeah, kill feeding, but, completely aside from my distaste for the very idea of the concept, generally speaking if you're using E-rank weapons then you're the one BEING fed, not the feeder, so you're gonna want to do as much damage as possible. And there's plenty of reason to use a Raider Yumi over Brass for pure damage: While it's the only weapon type where the Bronze-tier weapon has more raw power than the Raider-type weapon (if barely), Bronze can't crit or trigger skills (as you, yourself, acknowledged), which, combined with the Raider Yumi making doubling easier, means its average damage output is actually LOWER.

Kill feeding is not the reason why Bronze weapons are good. And to be clear, I'm not saying they are the only weapon to use, I will say, however, that Bronze Weapons are much more useful than they are being given credit for. First, like I said, they have high accuracy. They turn 80%s to 90+%s, and when I'm doing an attack, I don't want to miss. Even if it's just 96% to 100%, I'm still going to want the bronze weapon if it kills all the same, which brings me to my next point. When taking doubling into account, the damage of a single hit is less important. You don't need to 20 damage 2 times if the enemy only has 30 HP, there are plenty of situations where a Bronze Weapon does enough damage, which means using the weapon with higher Hit is the right call. In a situation where I have a ~70% chance to hit with a Steel to kill in two hits, or a ~85% chance to hit with bronze, but need 3 hits to kill, I'm still going with the Bronze, because it is much easier to make a strategy to deal with an enemy that is almost dead because you actually hit, than it is to deal with a full health enemy because you missed.

When it comes to Criticals and Activated Skills, the %s of those happening, particularly until the later half of the game, is quite low. For example, a 60% crit chance is pretty high, regardless of how late in the game you are, but would you rely on a 60% hit to happen? Until you can get those %s to be reliable, like 85+, a crit or skill activating is best case scenario unimportant, worst case scenario bad for you. The new dual guard system perfectly illustrates this, your dual guard can get easily get screwed up if you kill an enemy in one crit instead of two attacks, or kill an enemy that was supposed to stay alive. So instead of taking a chance on something that at best just doesn't get in your way, Bronze Weapons will guarantee 0 crits or skills. Of course, the +10 dodge is also useful to prevent the enemy from screwing you over with a 1% crit. The joke weapons also have that effect, but like you said, why use something with less damage, particularly one that can still crit?

Again, I'm not saying Bronze Weapons are the end all, be all weapon. But even at the end of the game, I'm going to want a Bronze Weapon in a good number of my unit's inventory, which is more than I can say for Raider Weapons, which are weak, inaccurate, and the 3 effective speed has less use the faster your units get.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

The only other real issue with Takumi is his lackluster personal skill. In order to work properly, it means keeping him underleveled or overleveling the rest of the team to take advantage of it, which is not worth it in the long run.

Takumi actually works pretty well with Azura. If you are singing regularly, she should be your highest leveled unit, probably by a decent amount, meaning Takumi can utilize his personal all the time if he hangs out with her. She also helps patch up his speed, which is surprisingly low at base, with Inspiring Song or just Pair Up. Otherwise, as long as you keep his pair up partner the same level, which shouldn't be that hard, it still works. I generally try to give his usual pair up partner 1 level buffer above him to be safe, but even that isn't really necessary as long as you level up your army evenly. It is really one of the better personal skills for just being free damage that is almost always active.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Endorph posted:

yeah, the ways like 'letting women be physical classes without making them be statistically inferior' and 'retconning the 'only men can wield the falchion' thing and presenting a woman as the future of the franchise in a metatextual sense'

You're not wrong, but there were still gender exclusive classes playing to stereotypes, including a literal Bride class.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

I'm not saying you should go out of your way to grind EVERYONE to 20/20 (not discouraging it either, mind- my mindset is "if the mechanic exists and was obviously intended, exploit the hell out of it"), just that you should at LEAST learn not to rely on your dancer excessively; they've invariably been frail, so one wrong move or mistimed RNG screw and you end up losing them forever, which would screw your strategy over. I mean, yeah, the series has been more lenient on that front lately, but as I understand it the majority of players go with Classic and mock Casual players for not playing how it "should" be played.

Besides, what if the deployment capacity increases beyond the A-team's size without any new recruits to fill the empty spaces? If we go with the "A-team to such an extent that everyone else is dead weight" strategy, then we're gonna have to either go into future battles undermanned (inadvisable) or take a grind break (time-consuming). Frankly, I'd rather go with Option C, which is the "make sure enough people are levelled that we don't NEED to do either of those" option (individually below par, but not as much so as "pick a team and stick with it"). Again, I'm not advocating levelling EVERYONE, just... say, one or two people beyond the good units up to credible levels?

I don't understand your logic with overuse of a Dancer. Your strategy is never going to be screwed over if your strategy includes don't let the dancer get hit, something that isn't particularly hard. I don't understand why you think it is such a horrible thing to have a unit that can't shrug off every attack. And at a certain point it is not possible to have 2 different great units, because units are unique enough that some are just going to be so much better. Instead of having 1 Corrin, and 1 unit that is almost as good, but not quite there, why not just use Corrin twice? Not having a dancer just removes a strategical option that can never be replaced by any other unit.

As for your deployment worries, it is not that difficult to catch a weaker unit up, any of the permabenched characters, outside of maybe Hayato, and even that is questionable, could jump in this chapter and be caught up by the end. And going undermanned has been a viable, at times over rewarding, way to play fire emblem, and using 2 units is probably the easiest way to beat Birthright.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

You seem to be missing the fact that the people you'll most want to give extra turns to will be in the heaviest combat zones 90% of the time, and you can't always protect your dancer adequately that close to the enemy even if you CAN wall them off; for example, archers and other 2-range-capable enemies will prioritize your dancer above literally everyone else, almost GUARANTEED (certain exceptions may admittedly apply, but if the enemy CAN kill someone they WILL, and Azura's at the most risk of that in most circumstances). And you're kinda misunderstanding what I said: I'm not saying they need to be INVINCIBLE; they just need to be capable of surviving at least ONE hit... which Azura isn't.

Besides, Azura's plenty high level right now (she is literally the highest-level unit on Tae's team), and she doesn't really NEED to be high-level (or even up-to-date) to fulfill her primary function; I'm not advocating dropping her PERMANENTLY, just, as you said, bringing in one of the other units instead of her for a map or two and train them so they can at least COMPETE.

I'm genuinely curious to see how you play this game if you think that 90% of the time, you are in a situation where it would difficult to keep Azura safe. I find it difficult to imagine Azura being in danger during Enemy Phase, even in the open field, heavy enemy rushdown design of Birthright, and in the other two routes, keeping Azura safe is even less of an issue. The fact remains, a unit does not need to take a hit if they do not get hit in the first place.

I also didn't bring up the ease to catch units up to say that they should. I said that in response to you thinking the LP could be put in a situation where grinding would be necessary. I'm saying it is so easy to catch units up, that if the deployment numbers went up enough to the point where weak units might have to get deployed, there would be no issue, they can get caught up. I'm sure Tae is keeping deployment counts in mind when it comes deciding if a unit is gone for good. Even if that is not the case, like I said, going undermanned is hardly inadvisable, if the end goal is beat the game. If you are saying that the units should be brought back because you just want to see them in action, you should just give up on that, people kept voting them out, so their is no reason to keep them around to be voted out more.

If Azura is a high level, that means she is being used a lot. Why would you not want to continue using a unit you use a lot? If the other units are worth using, they will get used, but there are only so many units that can get EXP. Azura doesn't even have much effect on how much EXP deployed units are getting, in the sense that she gets her EXP differently, so the idea that she is stealing EXP from other units is already dubious.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
At this point, enough people have disagreed with you and so many points have been made that there is little reason to continue this conversation. I'll say you should just accept the fact that units aren't coming back, and trust that there will be no issue, it's not like Tae only has one try every chapter. It's Birthright on hard, there is always a way to succeed.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I agree that Silver Weapons are pretty useless, but it is worth noting that the debuff does not apply when they are used for Dual Strikes, meaning they can give an Attack Stance unit an easy high power weapon that does not require giving forges to everyone. That said, I think attack stance is seriously outclassed by guard stance in terms of usefulness, so I rarely keep Silver weapons around at all.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

Kaze has more HP than everyone but Corrin, Oboro, Kaden, and a pre-promote.

Not too surprising, he has a good HP Growth. Without looking, he might have the highest of all the units you are using right now, it is at least up there. It is part of the reason why I think he is the best antimagic unit.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I would wait until they are promoted before introducing DLC classes, since they are closer to promoted classes in growths and stats, but you could also do it as soon as they are around level 19/20 to save the Master Seal. Or, you could wait until Revelations before showing any of them, where some units want to be a little better to stand out from the rest.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I'll vote for Azama as Apothecary and Ryoma as Kinshi Knight

Despite having weird growths, most of these units don't have very good secondary classes, so I'll go for one that makes sense, and one that does not.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

There is a DLC map where you can potentially get more of the unique weapons, but more often than not you'll wind up with the regular Iron or Steel weapons that you can buy from your own shops.

Yeah, since it's random, your odds of getting the weapon you want is not much better than using the Lottery Shop, which was annoying in Awakening's DLC, and it is still annoying here.

Still, you get access to multiple copies of most weapons, meaning as long as your army uses a variety of weapon types, you should be covered. For me, it's more an issue of not being able to forge the good weapons rather than wanting to give them to more units. But honestly, if you could buy an infinite number of any weapon, the difficulty would crumble. The weapon balance in Fates is flawed in some significant ways, but I'm not totally opposed to putting some limits on how many of the special weapons you can have.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Functionally identical, with the exception of using a magic weapon no longer powering up staves.

There are skills/Personal skils that work off of Str/Mag, so the change does have a little impact elsewhere.

AradoBalanga posted:

That is true. Thankfully, with the exception of Azama, the healers in Fates generally have very good magic growths and don't necessarily need an extra +5 boost to their Magic stat.

The healing formula has also changed, to magic/3 instead of magic/2. Staves also had their base healing boosted a bit, to compete with the range on Rods. When combined with the lower HP totals, magic is less needed for healing in general.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Having a character randomly die in a game like this for story reasons is the worst. A player shouldn't be punished for investing in a specific unit like that, particularly in a game like Fire Emblem, where characters can already permanently die during gameplay.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

No one's answering why iago has bowbreaker

Most likely because its a Sorcerer's skill. Why does he have it earlier than he should? Perhaps he bought the skill the same way you can for your units.

As for weapons on Great Master vs Priestess, it's basically a wash. Great Masters can use the Guard Naginata, which helps make them enemy phase focused, and they have easy access to their Magic Weapon in Birthright, so they can even take advantage of decent 1-2 range. Meanwhile, Yumi have high enough Mt that a Priestess can contribute meaningfully on Player Phase, which is fine seeing as Sakura is a little less bulky than Azama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

The more I think about it, I'm not really sure why the Offspring Seal exists, rather than... just having child characters scale past promotion. Does anyone forgo using the Offspring Seal? It's especially annoying on certain chapters. Have fun trying to recruit Shiro if you wait too long.

The levels you get from using an Offspring seal are based on the growths of the child, I'm assuming the stat gains are the average expected gains, but I don't really know for sure. But the point is that you could theoretically get better stats if you level up manually than use the Seal. It's not really that big of difference, obviously. However, a better reason, and a reason why I sometimes do not use an Offspring Seal, is that you can use a heart seal to put the unit in a different class at a lower level, allowing the unit to have more time to build weapon XP, get skills, or take advantage of better growths. Although, like what was said previously, using a heart seal makes it impossible to use the Offspring Seal, so you have to decide if it is worth having a unit potentially much weaker than everyone else. Still, it is nice to have the option.

• Locked thread