Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheSpamalope posted:

Somewhere an unknown surfer is about to become a legend.

Crosspost from the OSHA thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lamebot posted:

i cant spell state capitals. i'm trying to find a live stream of this but can't

http://www.kcra.com/nowcast

This is the closest, but isn't actually just a livestream of the dam. They are using some pre-recorded footage.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

At least that cop at the press conference said things will be fine because they are going to drop bags of rocks from helicopters to plug the new hole.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The emergency spill way might fail. The dam itself is not in danger of failing.

I think that's a matter of semantics at that point.

If the emergency spillway fails then the lake will just drain out that entire hillside and the dam itself will effectively be useless as the water will have a different outlet. It kinda doesn't matter if technically the portion labelled "Dam" hasn't breached at that point.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serak posted:

If the spillway breaches, you only lose the top 30ft ( think that's the number they mentioned) of water, which - don't get me wrong - is still a wall of water coming downstream, but the dam will still hold the majority.

at least erosion plays by the "30 feet at a time" rule, which is fortunate for everyone.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thank god we have so many experts on the geological composition of the landscape in and around this particular dam who are also psychics that can predict exactly what will happen

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hey armchair dam experts, this isn't a saltwater dam

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sammus posted:

I bet if poo poo gets bad they ask for federal funds to help fix things.

paging moridin920 to elaborately detail how california is completely self sufficient because of fruit

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Wait a sec

They're pouring 100,000 cf/s down this busted rear end spillway. Could it break down the hill around it, and lead to further dam failure?

the goon geology council has spoken, the hill has rocks in it everythings fine

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psycho Society posted:

I like how they're like "hey our main spillway has a hole in it"

"ok, open the emergency spillway"

*bit later*

"hey that has a hole in it too"

"ok nvm"

This current news conference is that everything is fine because they are blasting the hosed up original spillway with a huge amount of water, so the hosed up backup spillway is no longer blasted by water.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do these news people keep saying that they won't be able to do the helicopter rock deliveries at night?

because they had a news conference and the schlubby nerd detailed how they haven't been able to access the damaged area and can not do helicopter rock deliveries at night and have to wait until tomorrow to try and assess the damage while they blast the already destroyed spillway all night to try and lower the reservoir.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

isn't this the first of many dams in the US that are about to fail due to no money ever being spent on them

I can't hear you over the deafening roar of hovering F-35s shredding $100 bills beeps of grounded F-35 software error codes

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
moridin if you love california so much why don't you gently caress it already?

or at the very least stop constantly bitching about ~MY TAX DOLLARS~ like a senior citizen

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

GBS regulars, please explain this guy

Moridin920 is an autist that likes to die on every possible internet hill he can find in GBS, arguing as an authority on literally every subject that comes up until anyone else is too exhausted to continue arguing with him or the thread dies due to the retarded slapfight he causes wherever he goes because he is incapable of being wrong and has to have the last word in 20 simultaneous arguments.

Will not shut up and stop being smug about how amazing california or his cam whore girlfriend is, has previously told people what their industry or job or degree is like despite never having or being in any of them because his intuition based arguments are the internet pissing contest version of perpetual motion.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you aren't as smart as you think you are and just because things make sense to you, because you intuited your opinions, doesn't mean they are right. Your state is garbage loving shut up about it already.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEU2X6yBPk

What is that at 0:35 - 0:46?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Snark posted:

Reflection of the sun in the water, it's okay you don't recognize it, they are things unfamiliar to most goons.

this is an accurate statement that i can find no fault or argue with

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm curious how that looks now since they've been blasting it for two days straight at 100,000cfs, twice the amount that caused that hole to double in size.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Repo Man posted:

I don't hate Kansas, but when I visited Wichita, nothing there seemed to be particularly great either. Those winters must be a bitch to deal with though.
My brother moved there because he can't have his arsenal here in CA. He had to choose between being able to see his mother on a regular basis (he hasn't been here to see her in probably six years now, and she's 77 and in poor health) and things like a one hundred round drum for his SKS. He chose the one hundred round drum. I really don't give a poo poo; I don't like him, and haven't talked to him in almost ten years. He and his wife (who is as attractive as she is intelligent) both voted for Trump. If California's sometimes stupid gun laws make people like him leave the state, that's a pretty cool unintended consequence.

that guy is dumb because if you want open gun laws to dual wield AKs with drum mags or whatever I don't know why you would move to one of the states that everyone forgets exists all the time when you could move somewhere probably nicer like the east coast or something.

kansas' only purpose is to remind me that arkansas is also a state.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The total rainfall in the area that caused the 50 foot rise was ~1.5-2 inches... Temperatures were a bit warmer than they'll be for the next few days so snow melt should be less of a factor, but the predicted rain fall just for thursday and friday is expected to be 1.25-1.75 inches (and probably more up in the mountains)... that's not even getting into the next few days after that where more rain will most likely be falling.

They've got the water level down, what, 9 feet or something? Barring an absolutely best case scenario of cold temps and minimal rain, a lot of water is going to be going to go over that spillway.

I know there is a website somewhere that lists the foot depth of the water at regular daily intervals but I can't find it right now.

I did find an acre foot capacity graph where you can see the effect of blasting that damaged spillway 24/7 the past few days

Which looks like continuing for another 3+ days of constant venting on the damaged spillway would still be less than 2/3rds of reversing the most recent storm, and that's assuming there is 0 extra inflow.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
people in kentucky hate kentucky.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are the rain clouds republican or democrat?!?!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Lol if you think the deeply-red central valley would align with the coastal cities when the poo poo hit the fan

the idea of getting to 1) slaughter their nonwhite population and 2) militia up and "liberate" san francisco would figuratively give them priapism

I hear quoting amazon and google's stock price is a magical spell that makes you invulnerable to bullets and hatred.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess they must not be too concerned anymore? They lowered the lake about 33 feet so far but are now dropping the outflow.

quote:

Date / Time REL SCH CFS
02/16/2017 09:00 95000
02/16/2017 11:00 90000

I guess California is safe from water once again.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Has anyone died from this dam water yet

Will someone probably die from this dam water soon or should I start looking for a different wellspring of human suffering to whack it to

They dropped the lake level by 35 feet and the storms aren't supposed to be that bad so they cut output by 20% to repair the broken power station which will let them get rid of even more water so no this will not fulfill your lust for death and you should look elsewhere, sorry.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farg posted:

we don't have whatever the gently caress that is in florida. 'crack open' is slang used for all manner of food and drink in soflo

this says a lot about Florida

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are the rocks they are dumping in the spillway locally sourced artisan rocks?

I think rocks are naturally gluten free so they are covered there.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

That’ll be the 2020 quake.

That would be nothing like Katrina.

If a serious earthquake hits LA and harms a celebrity it will be portrayed worse than the holocaust with a new national holiday and nonstop 24/7 news coverage for the next five years.

Also they've cut output from 100,000 to 55,000 so maybe we will get to see that obliterated spillway next week.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dread Head posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgtyOfwrj8

You can really see how much work they have done, how much lower the lake is and how ruined the main spillway is!

Yeah I didn't believe them at the press conference when they said the main spillway had eroded as much as it was going to and wouldn't suffer further damage from turning the water up.

It's pretty much destroyed now and they managed to clog up the river which has kept the dam's power plant from working. They did manage to drop the lake by 50 feet though so it should be fine unless those storms are ridiculous.

I really doubt that thin layer of concrete they sprayed everywhere will actually help anything.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It would be funny if they made the flooding a lot worse by blasting millions of cubic feet of water down the river into a floodplain right before historic storms.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ORO

Looks like the rain caused the lake to start rising again, but it's still 50 feet from being a problem and they haven't increased outflow so they must not be concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i thought "the hope" was that there wouldn't be a disaster?

• Locked thread