Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I was reading a thread elsewhere on the crap that was routine with basic training in the US Army - stuff like having to get a smallpox shot that caused your arm to be in constant pain, not helped by all the push-ups, having to wake up for 2 hours in rotation every night for firewatch, etc. Of course, it's a trope of the whole shouting drill instructors and such.

I'm curious as to what that experience is like in other countries, especially those with compulsory service - I forget if South Korea still does this, Israel, etc. - but volunteer military service is fine too.

If you can speak to this, or have interesting stories, I'd love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You might have better luck here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808722

GiP has a few people from non-US militaries floating around, including a guy from Finland who decided to come here and join the US Army as a medic. He posts in the army thread regularly, but has posted in that one as well.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
From what I've heard it's basically the same in the Australian Army. No personal training punishment anymore, I don't think they can make you do pushups for instance, but the yelling and getting up at stupid times and generally being ordered around like a child seems to be par for the course. Particularly the Army, it's the 'bogans' that go into the Army because squatting in dust and being dirty as poo poo is their default state anyway.

I now work in Defence consulting which is very lucrative but I do daily deal with ex and current Defence people and they're all basically retarded in some way or another. If not socially then cognitively.

It's all aimed at a certain demographic which is good because I don't really know what that demographic would do if not to be Army people.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Defence people and they're all basically retarded in some way or another. If not socially then cognitively.

It's all aimed at a certain demographic which is good because I don't really know what that demographic would do if not to be Army people.

Apparently standards have improved since back when my relatives were in the service (long before I was born but post-Vietnam). It was mostly people running from something since you were likely to be parked either in the middle of nowhere or overseas.

• Locked thread