Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Warcraft 2 and 3 are fun to play. I can't call 3 good though because a) the version you can buy now sucks and b) it invented MOBAs so it's categorically chaotic evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
But what if the people who cannot abide by a perceived insignificant mistake? We got folks out here restarting games because they don't like the cheek shadows they picked out for character and you wanna make em start over because they picked up the useless Flower Sniffing perk?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Broodwar was better than StarCraft tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vic posted:

Blizzard was hosed the moment world of warcraft dropped and started making insane amounts of money.

But also a bunch of Blizzard nostalgia flows from the fact that they employed really good AV artists at the time when games were going through puberty.

Videogames were hosed that moment. That's when all the investors turned their heads because they learned some suckers will pay full price for a game and then keep paying monthly on top and hmm wonder what else they'll pay for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back Wintermaul

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So that I can play someone's hacky edit called Pokemaul where black shadowed illidans are a whole tower tribe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jokes posted:

Now we're talking that was the best. I hated that the pathing always broke down near the end, but man that was a good game.

Getting mad at the broken endgame is just your reward for not having too many noobs or leavers. I googled internal to see if somebody made a standalone or something of it (no), but the first videos were some random YouTuber and he was a frustrating noob. He would be responding to his chat while people in game are like hey I sent u gold for gas can u build, hey can u build with multiple ppl being like hey build the thing! He just ignored and blew the tower on himself. Hurt to watch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think ghosts of Mars was one of the first movies I saw that were so bad I couldn't just forget about it, I kept thinking about it afterwards and remember it more than most good movies I saw that year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure that means it was good. You just didn't like it.

I mean, art has many reasons. One is to produce thought. If a piece of art caused you to think about it for a year, it can't be bad. The "bad" is just your reaction to it.

And yes, I know ghost of mars is considered a bad movie.

Art is weird.

Also, don't date artists. Then you start posting like this ^^^^^

Art owns and when anyone says it's good or bad I automatically translate into "like or don't like." It's just how you discuss art. Something that sucks can still be effective art to someone or just liked and enjoyed by a niche. Often the best art is inherently off-putting to many groups of people, but pursuing what makes that art niche good means disregarding what things are likeable by more groups broadly.

And I think the reason I remembered it was both the start of an interest in how the art is made in terms thinking of how it could be different and just he is a very competent and talented filmaker so even when he makes a mess it's more memorable than bad movies I saw before the that I just didnt care about and washed off my mind after seeing or flipping away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I unironically enjoy the old mario movie. It's a very bad film by pretty much any standard apart from the set design, which is surprisingly awesome. The entire film looks like someone got really, really high while watching Blade Runner at the same time as someone that was even more high told them about the Mushroom Kingdom. Hoskins and Leguizamo are visibly beyond caring and just getting silly with it, and Dennis Hopper is so hosed up that he will eat every inch of the scenery. It's a fanastic awful film that looks way better than it has any right to while being an incomprehensible mess of nonsense.

I got this really cool collectors edition DVDs recently that came with art books and behind the scenes poo poo thicker than the movie itself and it's really rad to browse through. Lots of weird on set photos, surprising number of bare asses. It is a really cool movie and I think has gotten better over time, the anticapitalist cyberpunk dystopia is such a wild swing for the Mario Brothers universe and worth seeing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haddedam posted:

You couldn't chill n turtle and build walls anymore.
Starcraft turned everything into sweat fest only won by those who were studying the hotkeys while we were having fun building turrets.

I will never remember any hotkey for any rts and screw the communities that tell me to.
(Wargame would've been cool if entire community wasn't /pol/ putinists and or neonazis and if it didn't want you to to do the jobs of every rank of officer from 4 branches of combined arms simultaneously)

If you're turtling in an RTS you meant to play a town building game instead

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

George posted:

I read a pretty cool writeup by a SWG dev ages ago explaining how people were actually having fun playing SWG until they implemented Jedi and after that it just became pointless min/max poo poo to get to Jedi faster and ignore the game.

I'm sure the game still sucked poo poo but it was a fun "Jedi ruin everything" story.

Haha in highschool we had a work program where you spent a week at some job related to what you wanted to do. I went to Sony online in Austin and they were working on Galaxies and some superhero MMO idk came out or not. The main person in charge of directing us around was very positive about the New Game Experience and figured I'd like it because I had played WoW. I mentioned how I had heard the original version was amazing with getting to build your own shop or weird jobs in the city, I just never got to try it. He was like yeah but this is really cool and the first day we kinda just played the game as testers to log bug reports and whatnot.

The first quest was like Boba Fett and Darth Vader and whoever else standing around in some hotel or bar lobby and I had to talk to them to get my first class quests. Just standing around next to generic normal level 1 quest type NPCs. They were working on some new kashyyk expansion and I mostly found ways to fall off the world or get out of bounds.

One of the other days we hung out with a programmer and dude had WoW and EVE running on his other monitors (but not EQ2 which a lot of the team had worked on). He was not shy about making GBS threads on the NGE, or WoW, EVE was his true love it seemed.

Him and the other programmer in the room agreed the new system was at least more routine and streamlined on their end, if more boring and making a game experience they thought was worse overall.

We got to help design some quests by their templates, dunno if they made it in game or not, but it was basically setting some objectives and flags to get the rewards. Go do some killing for some wookie kinda stuff. Weren't really that many options for things to actually do in a quest, not that most MMOs of that style have very involved quest systems.

We got free copies of the game when we left and I don't think either of us actually installed or played it at home. I did get that kid to join my guild in WoW though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's quadratic so that's much more than the leap from 1 to 9000.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

I used to really like making whatever in that game. The combination of art style, music, and sound effects made for some real chill city building.

I never bought it because I spent like 2 hours straight watching a long play without doing anything else and realized if I bought the game I'd easily have huge gaps of missing time for the next few months.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

And this is the problem with mmorpgs in general: pretty much everyone wants to be the biggest badass and that's so loving boring, and that's the main reason that Ultima Online was the only MMORPG that was a) good and b) actually an RPG.

The world needed real people to play blacksmiths. In order to get your gear repaired, you had to hand it over to an actual person that may or may not just run away with it. So if you were playing a smith you had to build up a reputation as being good at your job and also not a thief. People would talk about you and recommend you. So you'd be given the equipment and a pile of money to repair someone's gear. This was a viable way to play the game and earn enough to buy property., and was also a lot of fun.

RPGs are only fun if everyone plays their role, and that means that sometimes you're not the biggest, baddest guy kicking rear end in the room. I earned my first million (more than enough to buy a house) in UO by offering my services as an 'epic poet' that would chronicle the adventures of heroes going into dungeons and fighting monsters into a book - and the game (at one point) supported player-written books becoming things that just existed in-game and could be bought from NPCs. At one point I ran the world's first mmorpg restaurant. I had real people logging in to play staff to random people turning up.

Lots of us as guild leaders used to club together to come up with storylines that would be fun for the hundreds of people in our community and it was almost always fun for everyone involved (a couple of ego clashes happened sometimes, but 95% of the time it was pretty seamless).

I don't think it's possible for that kind of experience to exist ever again.

I feel like if VR is ever going to be more than a novelty, it'll take a big persistent world game like UO where everything is done by players the hard way in a world where they can build something of their own for people to cohabitate in the world with, like your restaurant.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Think you need to go a lot further than a little mini game or reusing MMO combat mechanics for crafting stuff. For starters, even full blown crafting games almost all rely on menu style shopping list crafting system and severely struggle with making crafting fun and not just part of the routine.

Adding another chore to crafting in an MMO wouldn't help. The real "fun" of crafting is to participate in the economy. Some people just play WoW as an economy game, there are programs to tell you the prices of different items on different servers so you can try and make more money more efficiently and when they log in they basically just see spreadsheets and graphs to automate and script their economic activities.

If there's one thing MMOs do well it's creating supply and demand issues to wrestle with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Look I love to poo poo on FPS and make broad dismissive statements about games using it and the people who keep encouraging them to make more of them but calling them unilaterally worse than all mobas is just crazy go nuts. Outer Wilds is first person and they might never make a better videogame than that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sports games peaked at that basketball one where you could be a guy who was a basketball.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Momentum and gravity are fun to experience in that perspective. Especially when you start moon jumping around a whole tiny planet but accelerate too much and die slamming face first into a rock wall. The main problem with FPS is the S, and the only thing you S is a camera drone/light.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Those first person games where it's just jumping into walls and tiny floating obstacles using bunny hops or whatever 3d kaizo tricks to advance along a long track. Not sure what the games are called, I've just seen them as mindless footage behind someone talking about something else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starfield is the only videogame less entertaining than the screensaver of the same name

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Floodixor posted:

Hey I've read it a few times and am curious what DreamWorks face is

Put the smug slider to 100%, raise one eyebrow, lower the other, add a grin that shows too much teeth and with a slightly asymmetrical shape.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

As much as I liked Control (eventually after it gave you enough powers to be fun) it had some bad boss fights, especially the expansion.

The boss fights were at least better than just walking around having to clear out another room of floating idiots. Honestly remove the gun from that game and all the shooting and it would've been twice as good even if they didn't replace it with anything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been trying to play FFXIV recently because everyone told me it's actually way cooler than other MMOs but this is the most tedious bullshit imaginable.

I just leveled up from 71 to 72. I think I fought 3 enemies the entire time. Everything else was literally just running around large zones talking to NPCs, doing a quest where you take a shower by right clicking on it, doing several quests where you have to go to an area and just walk around until you find an NPC to talk to, several quests where an NPC sent me to the opposite side of a zone just to pick up a piece of fruit or whatever for them then deliver it back to where they were. And this is the "main story quest" at a pretty high level. You can only get one of those quests at a time so you can't even load up your quest log and do a bunch at once. There are other quests that you can do at the same time but they give about 5% of the experience that a main story quest does, which is like a small fraction of a single percentage of one level, so doing them just slows you down. Also you can't skip these main story quests because everything in the game is gated behind them. There are a billion cutscenes where nothing happens and some of them are even unskippable.

The only reason I've been able to play it up to this level is because I have a ton of downtime at work with nothing to do but I don't think I'm going to keep playing it, this is legitimately the most boring MMO I have ever played.

I went from level 1 to like 25 or 30 before quitting. People claim that's the worst part and bla bla it gets sooo good but nobody can really say why and you have to have severe MMO addiction to even be able to get passed all the terrible things MMO players just expect to put up with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its funny that when MMOs make people move outside of a telegraphed attack, it somehow becomes way too complicated for most MMO people to play.

My first couple raids were with a guild and went well, it felt like a lot to learn and keep up with but second time it started to feel almost routine already and was clear how I needed to improve.

Then I tried some later with just random people, in a much much easier difficulty, and it was a complete mess, people couldn't even move in a swarm to one location it was like cockroaches scattering into random shadows. The telegraphed attacks became like flames to a flock of moths. Took three times longer to make almost no progress and I couldn't even complete whatever quest I had there.

Staying out of glowing danger zone and mashing random attack numbers is good enough but when 99% of the game is stand still press numbers at your leisure, it's no wonder so much of the playerbase is left dumbfounded when encountering even the easiest mode of a raid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People always talk about Wrath like it's so great but I tried some of those time shifted raids and they were so much walking down boring hallways to fight bosses that spent longer talking than it takes to kill them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I realized a while back that all this theoretical extra power post PS360 consoles an PCs have all added up to nothing more than a way for developers to be lazy and not optimize their games at all. Like Titanfall’s obscene 48gb install is all just 35gb of uncompressed audio. rather than high-end super-duper realistic graphics and physics. None of these games are actually that big, the devs just have no reason to bother making them well.

Devs aren't paid enough and have so little ownership of what they make it's unreasonable to expect them to optimize games with the conditions and deadlines they work under. I also have to assume optimization is one of the least engaging and satisfying part of production.

So keep making better hardware that lets devs make what they want with less fretting over making it performant because there isn't an option where devs are paid more and given more time at the expense of gambling investors who want unreasonable returns especially if it means declining product quality or certain closure of the studio.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Imagine if you even got a penny every few sales of the game, literally token proportional ownership might not be enough to ever live on, but I reckon even the least bit of ownership being the norm would result in a world where companies don't even need to pay to put out remakes so much as package cumulative updates for new consoles since devs would as a matter of course be periodically reminded of this thing they made, tangibly know that someone out there is still playing, and hey maybe spend a little hobby time optimizing or updating or adding things they remember being part of the vision but cut for production efficiency and deadlines.

We already get lesser versions of that just from people with caretaking urges and fan coders who cut their teeth modding things.

It would also mean that buying a game could possibly support the people who made the game. As it currently stands, economically and morally the correct course of action is always illegal file-sharing when it comes to purchasing videogames from publicly traded companies.

Its pretty insane we have to feel bad by being lazy and purchasing game licenses legally, I do not understand why economists keep imposing this economic system up on us when it is so clearly flawed and broken. Maybe we start forcing economists to get a real job so they understand that workers need money too, way more of it, the majority really.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

"pay them less than pennies on the dollar so they'll work on the game in their off time" isn't a very hot take either

Royalties after get fired is still better than get fired and nothing. Any volunteer updating is just if people wanted to, as it's a thing that already happens with negative incentive to work on old games. Rightfully a game should belong primarily to those who made it, the system now where an abstract entity gets to own it and world the government against people in their own homes and creations is ludicrous.

Getting a few grand one day if your game you helped make sells a million seems better than get fired after crunch and no royalties. Lotta people work on a game, 60 bucks divided by credits ain't that much per game sold even if things were fair, but it adds up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

artifically depressing their sales numbers and making it more likely for them to get laid off doesn't seem like a great way to help workers make money. there are plenty of decent arguments in favour of software piracy (like preservation, intrusive DRM, or regional inaccessibility) but this isn't it

Artificially depressing sales numbers? Workers are already systematically and routinely fired under the current system, plus get no royalties whatsoever. The ideal workforce a publicly traded company is always crawling towards is one they do not pay at all and profit from selling to their own workers too. Redistributing wealth to its rightful place is not to blame for the current dire situation.

Even in a lovely fantasy world where all of the people who make a game you can buy are still working at that company by the time you can buy it, are not necessarily benefitted by the success of that product. Increasingly a big success dooms the team of creators, condemning the workers to a series of gambler trades where they get treated worse to make garbage or just shut down because some idiot gambled on the wrong horse and blame the workers, just as a bonus rib kick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also the only argument anyone needs for file sharing is that obviously nobody deserves to have access to some art more or less based on how capitalism decided to gently caress them. I can afford to buy my games for the ease of library management but it's not like I deserve that more than someone who works three times harder than me but barely makes enough to feed themselves. Capitalism by design fails to compensate and provide for workers and all those forced to live under it and at no point should anyone object to some poor person getting to play any videogame or see any TV show or anything that can be digitally replicated for free.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

not to be glib, but it's really weird to see an argument supposedly in favour of workers that's simultaneously arguing that labour doesn't have value

Not what I'm saying. Nobody is appropriately valued by capitalism, in the case of the non-indie investor gamble companies who produce videogames, by the time you can play and buy the game people made, the workers have already been under payed and overworked and necessarily stripped of rights to what they make while employed.

If I gave sixty bucks to buy AAA whatever, that money does not go to the workers, does not ensure the workers will remain employed if they even still are, it doesn't give them better treatment and can sometimes result in worse, and the abstract pro-capitalism propaganda idea of "supporting the company" falls flat when successful games just draw sharks into the water who have no interest in making quality art for people to enjoy and every interest in bleeding consumers and workers for all they possibly can before selling off a dying husk of whatever IP is left to farm out.

It's totally possible to directly support people making games but buying a big game produced on gambler dimes or pouring money into their video casinos is increasingly a ridiculous way to fail to support anyone besides vampires who already had way too much money.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

There are people who spent like 20+ hours on the character creation screen in BG3 which I don't understand because it's just a basic-rear end character creator the same as you find in any game with a customizable player character. You pick preset skin colors and tattoos and hairstyles and stuff and that's it.

Those people do that for every game. They're the same ones who restart games 8 times because they didn't like the lighting on their fantasy hunk face. Nevermind that most games cover your head up permanently a few minutes into it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Enough talk! Time for action. You're the union leader now for the videogames. I have joined this union and I'm an artist for the videogames now. My demands are don't get fired when we finish the videogames. I'm gonna roll in from 930 to 10 and leave from 5 to 6 depending on the vibes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People who don't slam the sliders all the way to make an IHOP funny face character are goofballs who are missing out. If you wanna look at pretty people go buy a fashion magazine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A lot of those ASIs are a theory craft waste because in the game you have gear and there's plenty of gear to just set your ability score to something great that saves you like 8 levels of levelup investment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing skyrim and thinking its co-op because this person in the village talked to me and gave me a quest

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

credburn posted:

I recently watched Noah Caldwell Gervais's 9-hour Fallout series retrospective, and wow did he ever hate Fallout: Tactics. I was a huge Fallout 1/2 nerd and followed Tactics from its first announcement all the way through, but I also haven't played it since I was a teenager. I don't remember it being very juvenile or gross but I guess it is. I remember being really angry about the talking furry Deathclaws (yes Fallout 2 had talking deathclaws but it was its own thing) and anime-robots but I thought it was a great game and something that would hold me over until Van Buren babyyyyy

I got Fallout 2 for my 14th or 15th birthday or something. I still have the box. The back of it says you can pimp out your wife for some extra "chump change" but that's not a feature in the game :mad:

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel gets way too much hate. Yeah it's a real dumb ARPG, but it advertises itself as such and seems to succeed at everything it set out to do so, I dunno, everyone who hates that game I feel like had weird expectations.

I recently played through Fallout 1 and it held up really well. The worst part of it was the extremely inconsistent writing -- literally the writing, as in the way sentences are formed. Different people clearly wrote different parts of the game and had very different narrative styles, and it clashes hard, when you're reading one thing written like someone trying to convey hopelessness and loss and then the next thing feels like it was written by a 15 year-old trying to get himself sent to the principal's office.

As I recall his experiment with inducing stockholme syndrome on himself ended with him playing Fallout 4 so many times he became convinced it was good actually.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The newest Civ game was most fun on its first patch. It had 2 major "problems" that made the game more fun. First you could send a worker to neutral or enemy lands to extract resources from their tiles. Second bartering and deal making was totally broke , just whackydoo but in a way you could often get to work on in your favour in absurd ways.
.I played on it for a long time and then eventually got some DLC I wanted to try and had to update. I kind of thought I could always easily go back to the original version, but probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rimworld is the ugliest thing any human ever created in history until prison architect, or vice versa.