Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Outpost22 posted:

The only good difficulty settings I can think of are for the Thief games.

I appreciate that more story-driven games are putting in a "story mode" where combat is extremely easy or even nonexistent, for folks who just want an interactive story. It's not for me (or for most), but I like that developers are tryin to cater to those audiences.

As for "good" difficulty settings, the latest Hitman trilogy did a good job of making mostly mechanical changes to the games rather than just changing damage/health numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

itry posted:

The game has a neat setting, is visually stunning with great art direction... it's too bad that the gameplay and story range from mediocre to bad. Some people don't care about anything besides the aesthetics.

This. There were some things to love about Bioshock Infinite, and I tried revisiting it several months ago. The gameplay and mechanics are just bad, even compared to other games from ~2013.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just want to say - I remember when Counter Strike introduced drivable vehicles. And so many popular maps that don't even exist anymore, like tears in the rain.

Anyway, not sure why I care I didn't play that much CS and I stopped playing CS2. It's just such an ever present game that it's weird how it both doesn't change and has changed.

Assassination/VIP mode is the thing I miss from the early days of CS. Oilrig was such a fun map.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Moon Monster posted:

Can you fight people in Disco Elysium? It's probably a fighting game.

It sounds more like a dancing game, what with Disco in the name.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of myths, where are the Black and White spiritual sequels and knock offs?

They're doing another Civ right, which feels pointless what're they gonna do change the shape again, make turns take longer with nonsense like leave it alone. Instead, take an existing Civ and add a giant unruly demigod Cow you need to train like a dog to be good, or bad, and it stomps around tearing things up or making you new forests with their fertilizer.

Eh, Civ VI in its current form is pretty long in the tooth, and years of updates/expansions have made a lot of the systems rather convoluted. Started with a blank canvas to rebuild and streamline it isn't a bad idea. Plus, for the last couple Civ games, they've used the expansions to add major mechanics. If history is any guide, Civ 7 will be a rework of Civ VI plus all the post-release content, with a pair of expansions to add significant new functionality.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Serephina posted:

I was gonna say No Man's Sky, but that was some other shameless liar.

edit: Funny how that's Molyneux's legacy.

Eh, I'd say the NMS folks oversold their product by mistake, and were then handed a pile of money by Sony to follow through on a probably impossible project. To their credit, they've put a ton of work into the game and are probably one of the most successful turnarounds in gaming history. I'm looking forward to Light No Fire, personally.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

George posted:

You shouldn't be playing dota until you have 40 years of experience playing dota.

This reminds me of when a group I used to game with transitioned over to DOTA 2. I thought what the hell, I'll jump in - I'd heard of it, but nothing more. I was informed I should spend 10-15 hours watching them play, then another 20-30 hours playing against bots before I'd even begin to understand the game. I found something else to play instead.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

George posted:

Horror is the genre I wish I could mass ignore in my life, across all media. Don't need to deprive others of it, I just could not care less about any of it and don't understand why people obsess over it.

90% agree with this, with a handful of exceptions (mostly horror comedy and other horror adjacent stuff). Cabin in the Woods, as an example, and you could argue the Ghostbusters movies also belong in that genre. There are also some absolute masterpieces of cinema that fall under it, such as Alien.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JollyBoyJohn posted:

As someone who has put 8000 hours into Dota 2 I just got a wee chuckle, I've seeen people with 35,000 - 40,000 hours which puts it into perspective - as much as I loved Dota I always wanted to play a bit of everything

it always makes me feel a wee bit sad when peoples sentiment is that they struggle to enjoy games anymore, I mean that might be totally valid but I always like to think you've just not found something that hits with you - whether its speedrunning, grinding retro achivements, MOBAS or just going gently caress it, i'm going to play through every single first person shooter ever made.

Anyone with 35k-40k hours in DOTA 2 has spent a lot of those hours idling. Or sharing their account for some reason, I guess.

Vampire Panties posted:

Maxwell Gladwell famously said it takes 10,000 hours of concentrated practice to become a master at something. Its kinda/sorta bullshit because what defined concentrated practice in a video game?

It's utter bullshit and an arbitrary number. It's useful as a statement to emphasize that it takes practice to be good at any task - but as a blanket statement it's pretty easily misinterpreted.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

A better one is "Don't practice until you can get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong."

Another good quote on the topic comes from Picasso: “Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

jokes posted:

Been saying this for years. At best it's a puzzle that's solved ahead of time, at worst it's just a bunch of extra steps before you get the reward. Is it really that much better to have a boss drop 1xDragonbone, and it requires 1x Dragonbone to make a Dragonsword?

Has any game gotten crafting right, outside of crafting focused games like 7 Days? Witcher 3 B&W was decent conceptually - there were no unique items required to craft even top level gear, but it was far too grindy unless you already knew what your build was, and what your armor was going to be.

It does feel like either not having crafting at all, or just have it be a very minor afterthought are the better options.