Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
People who get into "retro games" and can't play them on an emulator or Raspberry Pi 3 are weird and goony. Cool having tons of old plastic poo poo and a giant-rear end TV in your house because your bitch-made-rear end excuse is you can't enjoy games properly without an old controller. LMAO.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

"open world" is a really bad trend for game design and should have remained a niche
I agree with this for many modern games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The first time I played Smash Bros on N64 was also the first time I had ever heard of it. I thought it was a fighting game made for babies in true Nintendo style. I thought it was dumb as hell and couldn't see how anyone could enjoy playing it. I have never changed this opinion of it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Space Crabs posted:

Nobody will be allowed to play Assassins Creed or any game featuring Zombies.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is the only good and fun zombie game (the Resident Evil series is not fun at all).
Project Zomboid is unique and pretty fun if you play with the settings and make it babby mode, but it brings me to my opinion:

Games that require you to do as much work (or more) building, "crafting," and other bullshit while playing it as you might do IRL are not games. That's a job. You should get paid. You're a sucker. You're getting fat. LMAO

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The original PSP was garbage and homebrew barely made it better. I sold it so I could buy a DS Lite and I am very glad about that decision. 11 years later the drat thing still works without any issues, and Slot-1 and 2 flash cartridges made it one of the best systems of all time for me.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Incoming Butthurt: RTS games where you have to frantically gather resources before you can attack some other frantic person are boring games that only spergs and autists like because it gives them some weird feeling of accomplishment. It's not strategic, and there's no good game play. It's just making sure you have enough numbers before you go do something with your numbers. Consider it like going to work and saving money before buying that big meal at Subway on Friday.

Jestery posted:

Also undertale is poo

Overhyped nerds wanking over an spiritual successor to earthbound. Except they never played earthbound.

Everyone who has tried to convince me of its quality tells me I'm playing it wrong. It is trying to be ikaruga, the Stanley parable and final fantasy all at the same time. Please tell me how I am supposed to play this game when I have no context.
I agree that the game was lovely over-hyped nonsense and definitely NOT anything like Earthbound, which was an actual good game and enjoyable. As another goon said in this thread already: it's crap game with good music.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked games that used hot-seat multi-player. Example: Scorched Earth.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Rhythm games are all poo poo. Guitar Hero especially. Worst fans, lamest gameplay.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
To the goons that were talking about Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy... thank you. I'd forgotten my new computer could run all those emulators I wanted to try, and Dolphin works great. I downloaded those Mario games and they are both pretty sweet, and now I want to see what other GC games I missed out on. I played Galaxy last night for about an hour and it was p fun.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

get that OUT of my face posted:

makes sense. also you can't make mods like this for harvest moon
Life imitates art.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Games that force you to complete them on a countdown or by a certain number of in-game hours are not fun and cause me anxiety and I can't enjoy anything about them.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

Tony Hawk Underground 1 was the best skateboarding game ever made. all skateboarding games afterwards were a downgrade
I bought THUG2 for PC when it came out and was super disappointed at how cartoony and "OMG, WACKY BAM AND CKY JACKASS!!!" it was. That series went out with a fizzle and it deserved it. THPS Project 8 had something interesting going with using the dual sticks to control the feet for flip tricks, but they screwed it up by not making it a full-time option, which could have helped them battle Skate and stay slightly relevant.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

The only good 3D platformer was Jumping Flash.
I loving loved JF2 as a teen. Everyone says Half Life is the best first-person platformer, but Jumping Flash did everything right with the camera, and the triple jump was a fantastic idea that other games should have stolen or learned from. JF2 has some of my favorite vidya music ever, too.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Twelve Batmans posted:

Games with good fishing games in them:

Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV

Uuuhh... list more please. I love fishing minigames.

Legend of the River King 2 for GBC owned. It has elements of Harvest Moon and Pokemon with Fishing. I only played the Gameboy versions, so I don't know how the PS2 and DS versions stack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Opinion 1:
Shmups after a certain era became garbage autism simulators. Bullet-hell games are about as strategic and fun as as some ritalin-induced sperg can find (outside of fighting games), but lack appeal to normal-brained people. Games like 1942 were masterpieces of the genre, and had high reply value. I think shmups up to and including the SNES and Genesis were the last of the good ones. "Shmup" is a dumb word.

Opinion 2:
Zombies Ate My Neighbors was one of the best zombie games, though at the time Resident Evil 1 and 2 were pretty good too (but now pretty bad to play). I will automatically skip any game if zombies or the undead are the main feature.

Opinion 3:
EA is loving garbage for many reasons, but a main reason was not putting any of the Skate series on the PC. Hopefully Skate 4 will not be exclusive.