Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Everything about borderlands makes me mad. I've never played it, it's just I look at it and I hate it.

There's definitely something bizarrely off-putting about its irreverent postapunkalypse vibe. It's like someone looked at tank girl and said: what this needs is to be a lot stupider and pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The main issue I remember having with it is that doing even just a little bit of exploration made me overpowered and completely trivialised the combat. One of the worst balanced games I've played in a long time.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

The Switch isn't really that successful. Its main benefit and the reason it has been able to sell so well is because it released between console generations for the other big consoles. PS4 and Xbox One were both 2013. The Switch came out 4 years later in 2017 with zero competition and spent 3+ years as the only "recent" console on the market before the PS5 and XBox Series S released (and we've seen how well that has gone, largely because of supply issues), and it's still the only easily-accessible recent console. It has a higher margin (like $40 per console sold compared to $10 for a PS4). But the PS5's margin is even higher (~$50/console).

[...]

Comparing the Switch to the PS/Xbox is a fool's errand because they don't even address the same market.

Nintendo`most reliable cash-cow of a niche has always been mobile gaming, which is specifically the niche that the switch was designed to exploit. The timing for it was great (out of sheer luck, most likely) because it hit the market around the same time that people in general finally accepted the fact that phone games, despite being a massive market, is actually a completely separate one from "traditional" games, and there was no non-outdated hardware available to play non-bullshit games on the go.

The switch was never meant to be a successor to the Wii-U, it was always meant to be the successor to the 3DS.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

This is a good recap of the series. I did try the early games in PCSX2 a while back and the first few stages weren’t exactly a cakewalk.

I’m just not a fan of the quantity over quality approach of the series. It doesn’t matter if the Orochi games have Ryu Hyabusa or William from Nioh if they have to be simplified to use the same combat system as all the other characters.

The thing to keep in mind is that Dynasty Warriors is effectively a companion series to Romance of The Three Kingdoms, which lives at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. The execution often leaves a lot to be desired, but as the yang to RotTK's ying, its razor-sharp focus on arcadeyness makes a lot more sense.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Playing AC 1, you can tell there is/was a solid (or at least ambitious in an interesting way) game in there that was eventually dumbed down to the point of mediocrity in the middle of production.

Wether it was done for the sake of a larger market appeal vs the game they were trying to make didn't work is up in the air though.

For example, the way most activities have half-baked audio-visual cues for organic discovery that are 100% redundant with the minimap markers makes it clear that these markers (which, to me, are the main reason the game was a huge slog) were a late-ish addition.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the franchise.

Despite all of its flaws, the game it was trying to be was so much more interesting than its more polished sequels that it's the only one I care to remember.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 24, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Correct. For all its jankyness the gameplay had unique and fun systems instead of being another interchangeable cover shooter. Plus it had a beautiful “everything is rounded chrome and form fitting bodysuits” aesthetic straight out of the 1960’s instead of generic blocky space marines of the sequels. And finally had a 10/10 smooth electonic soundtrack instead of generic Hans Zimmer knockoffs. Plus it was a great self contained story and detailed setting that the sequels all retconned and shat over.

Well said. ME2 is legit one of the best story-driven cover-based shooter ever made, but boy did the baby get thrown out with the bathwater.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

I remember mass effect 2 playing like a lovely knock off of gears instead of being a semi unique rpg game pretty much entirely because press a to do everything was in vogue.

Bioware famously struggled immensely with UE3 while building ME1. On the flip-side, re-skinning the copy of Gears that came with the engine was a known sure-fire way to have a smooth prod. I`m not saying that this is the reason the game feels this way, but...

Aramis fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 24, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

lmao.

Also, I never noticed John Waters has such a weirdly flat philtrum.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Is there another character whose fallen from grace as much as Sonic yet still gets games? Usually a series gets canned after only one or two clunkers. But Sonic hasn’t had a well received game since the Genesis (barring Mania, which wasn’t actually made by the Sonic devs) yet they just keep churning em out.

Doesn't quite have Sonic's legacy, but I'd put Sora from Kingdom Hearts on that boat.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

itry posted:

So, snarky option - maybe fighting games aren't as interesting to compete with repeatedly dying in a pvp shooter. Or maybe the charm was always being right next to the other person you were playing against and now that most gamers are online, it's just not that interesting.

It's the later. Competition is only really fun as a social exercise. It works for team-based stuff because you have someone to cheer with or complain about. For 1-v-1, you might as well be playing against a computer for the most part.

The only instance of a 1-on-1 online competitive experience having legs is Starcraft, and I'm more than willing to call it the exception that confirms the rule.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 26, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

George posted:

So obviously square is bad now and modern FF is just the scraps of failed games sewn together into an incoherent mess, but what galls me the most is their approach to remaking their good games.

when FF6 came out it was a cutting-edge AAA game. one of the reasons the genre is dead is that any game that looks like that is a half-baked indie project, and so the FF6 remake makes it look like a half-baked indie project.

I hope this gets figured out eventually but for the most part I think I'm doomed to sit in my porch with a shotgun yelling at clouds.

FF6 remake doesn't feel like an half-baked indie project because of its art direction. It feels that way because of the amount of effort that went into it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

George posted:

yeah but a lot of that is how they redid all the character sprites for no reason and made them look dumber.

It looks dumb mostly because they half-assed it and only changed the character sprites while leaving the rest of the graphics mostly as-is.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

obviously ff7r wouldn't have been the same - totally revamped gameplay, graphics +20 years of quality, and hopefully - hopefully! - some new details and explorations of the original concepts which make it even more enjoyable.

the problems with ff7r were never 'it's not the same', it's that it's not a remake, it's a weird sideways sequel, and they substitute or even add in a whole lot of dumb crap which has no emotional impact.

they've went to the ff7 well so many times over the years and i think a lot of people were hoping this was going to a solid faithful update with cool new features and modern storytelling. we got a bit of that, but we also got a lot of robotic sidequests, horny fanservice, and hyperdimensional reality is in our hands crap which wiped the possibility of the rest being good. no expansion of midgar or the social dynamics going on there, which they really should have if they were going to set a 30+ hour game in it.

To their credit, I think their idea of going down the MGS2 route and making the game about how it's impossible to satisfy the fans, up to making the fans themselves a primary antagonist, was a neat enough way to go about making a game that's more than just a coat of paint on an old game.

It's a shame they wouldn't quite commit to it.

Keeping Midgard mostly the same, but prettier, followed by the rest of the game diverging is something I would have played the poo poo out of. It's a real shame they caved.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 28, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

kojima was maybe at his best in mgs2 with his insane rejecting of snake and making the whole game about cultural memes, in very early internet times, and about what people will attach to and what should be discarded. that's a theme. i understand being annoyed by it, but it's something to dive into and i will Get Nuts when a game gives me a reason.

ff7r is uh, let's change fate. here's a 300 foot monster.

Agreed. I really got my hopes up when the ghosts broke Tifa's leg solely because she was about to be a party member for a section where she wasn't in the original. It's so minor and petty, and a solid setup for embodied fate as the irrational zealotness of the fanbase, a direction this game was uniquely positioned to explore.

Such a wasted opportunity.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Approach it like a visual novel. Just play through the game, talk to random NPCs once in a while to get a bit more extra flavour, and don't just skip through cutscenes and dialogues to get back to the "game". If the story/tone/etc... is not for you, then neither is the game, so soak that in 'cause that's all the game really has to offer.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 28, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

e: circle is used instead of x to select. Must be the Japanese version.

Nothing to do with Japanese vs US version. It's simply because the Circle on a psx controller is at the same place as the A on a SNES controller, which was the platform Square developed on prior to FF7.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 28, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

there is a reson for that. Japanese people read things left to right, and x-box exists

I just figured maintaining the control layout from FF6 passed Occam's razor, but that wouldn't surprise me either.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Talos Principle? More like Tall rear end pee nipple!

The Talos Principle is a spectacular game in the sense that no one else has ever managed to produce so much god drat motion sickness outside of VR, and for no good reason.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

In a more civilized age, kill stealing was seen as a dishonorable act.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Cuz soulsborne games are literally the same thing as Battletoads. Many situation you have no chance until you have failed because you don't know what is coming. You only progress after rote memorization. Repeat.

It was a big complaint about Battletoads yet people praise it with fromsoft. Souls fans are the worst.

Soulsborne games reward (more like don't punish, but close enough) you for getting back to the bullshit you got blindsided by on the next try.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 10, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

Considering the time period that OOT came out and the system it was on, I feel like it's okay to cut it a little bit of slack as far as Hyrule Field goes.

Anyone who says they played OOT back in the 90s and wasn't blown away the first time they left the forest and wandered out into the field is trying to get one over on someone. :colbert:

Absolutely. Hyrule field had a specific role of "You ain't seen anything like this before" to play, and it's really silly to not apply that lens when looking at it.

It reminds me of the first level of the original Unreal. Walking out of the ship was a real "we aren't in Kansas anymore" to my teenage mind at the time, yet is absolutely nothing special from a modern PoV.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

"poorly optimized" technically means something completely different than "runs like poo poo", which is what's being meant 99.9% of the time.

Poor optimization is one of the myriad of ways why a game can run like poo poo, and jumping on that explanation without any evidence beyond poor performance is wrong and lazy.

The thing is, there is no one out there that understands the difference who can't tell this is what is being meant, making this a weird hill to take a stand on.

Edit: Case in point,

Fur20 posted:

Deadly Premonition is my baseline for calling something truly poorly optimized. It is no holds barred what-the-gently caress :psyboom: badly optimized. The longer your computer has been on, the slower the game runs, and the more frames it skips. Yes, you read that right: it's based on the amount of time since your last cold boot

Most plausible causes of this have nothing to do with optimization (simply using the wrong clock and not minding floating point inaccuracy would be my first guess), making it a contentious label. But we can certainly agree that it runs like poo poo.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 17, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The one single advantage consoles have consistently had over PCs is that the system gives games exclusive access to all the resources available. So yeah, switching from one program that is assumed to use all of the system's resources to another that is also expected to do the same can't be done as fast as on a system designed for running a gazillion things concurrently.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 17, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Fur20 posted:

if i had to guess you're talking about octopath traveler, where you have four passive skill slots but it's not as though you're ever going to equip anything but No Ambushes, Crit Damage Up, +100 to the character's key stat, and Break Damage Limit

like why is Break Damage Limit even a skill in a game where you're expected to have it because normal, non-optional bosses have nearly 1MM hp, just don't program a soft damage cap you dumb asses

I do like how Nier Automata made fun of that by auto assigning a skill that would just immediately kill you if you remove it. It doesn't take much of the assignable resource and is a nice and simple gameplay-supported joke. Games need more of that stuff: getting points/jokes/etc. across via mechanics instead of exposition.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 2, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

giogadi posted:

Haha I just saw this. “You seem to be only considering graphics. But you aren’t considering <common and obvious GRAPHICS rendering techniques>”

I work on game engines both professionally and as a personal hobby. There is indeed a lot more to engines than graphics. But when you talk about “enabling artists to express themselves without limitations”, this is by definition a graphics problem to solve.

Another professional ex game-engine dev chiming in: As per tradition, once again, audio artists are being left out to dry. They are used to it, but that won't stop them from grumbling.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Optimisation has historically also often been highly contextual.

A solid example of that would be Dead Rising 2. The fact that this thing runs as well as it does on an XBox360 is frankly outstanding. But that came at the cost of a large amount of weird coding kung-fu that makes it run bizarrely badly on modern consoles/PCs after being ported by another team who was not intimately familiar with it and were presumably working with a tight deadline.

It's not a badly optimised game, far from it. It was just one that was optimised for a very specific architecture.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

This seems surprisingly common. A good buddy of mine's father was not into games in general, but could 100% Solomon's Key in his sleep. Some people just latch on to a single game and that's it, I guess.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A bog standard 1080p signal is already 5 times more data than the WiiU's tablet needed. Video signal data density goes up real quick.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

i liked undertale and thought it was well executed but it was very much a one and done thing for me and i also thought the SuPeR WaCkY characters were a bit annoying and the self aware wackiness fell flat

can definitely understand how fifteen-year-olds might turn that game into an entire Identity tho

There is something poetic about a game that constantly beats you over the head about how obsessing about a single thing is unhealthy developing such a massive rabid fanbase.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Beyond: Two Souls felt exactly like someone trying as hard as possible to create a "2nd person game".

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

There's a lot of criticism to be levied at Prey, in particular with how it actively discourages you from engaging with some of its mechanics, but none of that matters because Mooncrash exists.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

It's got nothing to do with spoilers.

The game, at least as I remember it, goes out of its way to warn you that the security systems will turn against if you touch that half of the skill tree. That wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that leveraging turrets is by far and wide the easiest way to deal with early game threats. By the time you unlock these skills, there's a solid chance that the perceived cost of that investment is to discard the single most reliable tool you've been using thus far.

I went into the game 100% blind and never touched a single of these skills in my initial playthrough, solely because the risk-reward didn't make any sense at all.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 1, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I thought it was conveying that you also wouldn't need the turrets anymore if you started using the more alien powers.

Wasn't that like 1/3rd of the powers? And by mid-game turrets aren't even good anymore lol

But, at the time of decision, it still boils down you being told you have to discard a known working tool for one that you have to accept on good faith is a valid replacement before seeing any evidence as to whether that is the case or not. For a lot of people, "One in the hand is worth two in the bush" kicks in, and the mechanic ends up being avoided altogether.

Prey is such an outstanding game all around that this design fumble sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

Obviously, there was no way the base game could address this nearly as elegantly as Mooncrash did. This could still have been handled much better.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The lack of toxicity in FFXIV chat, while broadly culturally entrenched at this point, is a direct result of moderation policies that are both very strict and aggressively enforced.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that it"s a property of the playerbase the game attracts, or a consequence of how its gameplay systems are set up. There's nothing organic about it. A game just doesn't get like that unless the devs go out of their way to make it so.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The other thing Alpha Protocol had going for it is that, in stark contrast to Mass Effect at the time, it positioned the player as a social chameleon, where switching personalities on the fly was integral to the character.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Earwicker posted:

diablo iv release is reminding me of something i think about every time there's a big "diablo-like" game released:

why is the genre called that when faerie tale adventure (1987) clearly did it first?

What makes Diablo and its successors what they are is not so much the perspective, but rather duck-taping a roguelike with Gauntlet. faerie tale adventure is nothing like that at all.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Not that it actually matters, but it's more likely a pre-rendered depth buffer, which means that the shadows would cast on the actual original high-res geometry.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ocean Book posted:

4x strategy game, but with metaprogression

That's a terrible idea because all it means really, is that you'd have to play N hours before you finally get to play the game as it's meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

In that sense, 16 is a lot closer to 14 than 12 ever was to 11. Almost everything in the game is a streamlined and adapted to single-player version of FFXIV.

The dungeons are all (trash-mob -> boss arena ) * 3.
The questing structure and their role in the game is the same. They even use the same quest marker conventions.
The "open" areas basically work the exact same way, even using the same teleport marker structure and pacing.
The "series of hockey sticks" narrative pacing is extremely similar.
Every boss battle has the exact same teach -> challenge pair of phases formulaically used by every single FFXIV non-savage boss.

Heck even the combat has the same "Do your rotation while dodging mechanics based on markers" rhythm to it, just a lot faster paced.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 13, 2023