Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Redezga posted:

My interest in online gaming definitely dropped around the time matchmaking became the norm. Then again there was a post in one of the other gaming threads about people getting really hostile about not being perfect at Left 4 Dead when they tried to pick it up again so there's two sides to the regular server coin. I felt like even if you didn't really know them, people just were much friendlier when you were going to the same handful of servers every day and playing mostly the same people every day.

I think matchmaking directly fosters that kind of mindset though. Sure there were always tryhards, but having every single game affect ranking/progression and thus be “important”, and other players being reduced to interchangeable cogs whose only utility in making your team win rather than anything about being fun to play with, basically molds people into tryhards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Destiny broke my heart enough times that I’ll never go back. But I feel like I got the last laugh because
A: I only played the games when they were in their “fun” states and hopped out of the wagon whenever Bungie tried to pull some bullshit.
And B: I never once paid real money for any kind of cash shop item or season pass.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Moon Monster posted:

I got a Destiny season pass as a pack in with an expansion once and I think that was what cemented my dislike of season passes. They all make games feel like second jobs but somehow Destiny went a lot harder at it than most of them I've seen.

Definitely. When they switched the game over to a season pass model I knew at that exact moment the fun times were over, and I stopped playing for good. No way am I paying a subscription fee to keep playing a game I already bought.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

what the hell are all these Fromsoft things then? I thought they were games, that's why I checked them out! I've been doing this since October!

They’re Ocarina of Time-likes

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m super mad Dragons Dogma 2 isn’t on the PS4 despite the fact it could obviously run on it. Like hell I’m upgrading my toaster laptop or buying a “next gen” system for one game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
This is hilarious because the original Dragons Dogma bombed at launch for the same reason of being a single player game stuffed to the gills with micro transactions. It didn’t become successful until Dark Arisen came out and gave you all the micro transactions for free.
So I guess it’s time to wait a year or so for Dark Arisen 2: Arisen Harder to come out in orders to get a playable game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

Can you still buy and play it? Pretty sure you can only play the messed up remake of it now.

Yeah Dark Souls 2 is like the one single player game where this advice isn’t true. (I’m still waiting for my vanilla/scholar customizable hybrid edition FROM.)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The attaché case from the original RE4 is the best inventory system in all gaming and to say otherwise is a moral failing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Life is a rhythm game. My brain pressed the “move left foot” button at the wrong time so I tripped over myself and fell over the couch.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
While it definitely shares some DNA I’m hesitant to call Sekiro a souls game. So if you skip it no one will judge you. Now Bloodborne. That you’re not allowed to skip.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Duck and Cover is the Deacons of the Deep of posters, you think you got rid of him but he just hopped to a new post.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Was there a reason all those trash systems like the 3DO came out in that same timeframe? The only other time you saw a glut of systems like that was the Atari2600 era before the crash.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
We need a new thread title that describes every poster and their embarrassing gaming history so everyone knows who to make fun of for what.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Bloodborne is the only one where I ever bothered learning to parry because it actually gives you the opportunity to. Since your parry is in fact just shooting someone with a gun, you can A: do it from a sorta safe distance to give yourself some time to dodge if you screw up, and B: even when you fail the parry you often make the enemy flinch a little (especially with the higher caliber guns) giving you yet more opportunities to salvage the situation by dodging. Plus your guns are damaging the enemy anyway so a failed parry isn’t necessarily “wasted effort”. And finally the game is just really good at visually telling you what can be parried while also making parryable moves constantly happening.
In Elden Ring or Dark Souls the time spent vs risk ratio just never makes learning a parry pattern worth your time because there’s zero chance for error, with it got worse every game until in Elden Ring it’s suicide. Every failed parry absolutely will take of 2/3rds+ off your full health bar off and is a complete net loss (no flinching or bloodtinge damage). And they just plain got bad at telling you who and what was actually parryable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Khanstant posted:

Maybe Skyrim? A lot of people played Skyrim, and I think it was yellow in Morrowind but these days I definitely assume green is stamina. Technically green is just an advanced yellow so it covers a wide range.

Morrowind used the standard red=health blue=magic and green=stamina template. The yellow bars you’re remembering are for the enemies health.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Zelda games used green for magic all the way until Skyward Sword where they buckled to the industry standard and made it stamina, another black mark against that terrible game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When I was a kid and saw it at the store I thought it was called “Dye-uh-blow”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fur20 posted:

solution: make a game where all the perks are equally useless

I love the RPG boss in Kirby Super Star who when you defeat it you level up which increases your Puffiness, Friendship, and Roundness stats.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Age of Mythology pissed me off because the expansion decided that instead of adding another pantheon from anywhere else in the wider world, they just added Greeks 2.0 with essentially made up fanfic gods.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Quote-Unquote posted:

And this is the problem with mmorpgs in general: pretty much everyone wants to be the biggest badass and that's so loving boring, and that's the main reason that Ultima Online was the only MMORPG that was a) good and b) actually an RPG.

The world needed real people to play blacksmiths. In order to get your gear repaired, you had to hand it over to an actual person that may or may not just run away with it. So if you were playing a smith you had to build up a reputation as being good at your job and also not a thief. People would talk about you and recommend you. So you'd be given the equipment and a pile of money to repair someone's gear. This was a viable way to play the game and earn enough to buy property., and was also a lot of fun.

RPGs are only fun if everyone plays their role, and that means that sometimes you're not the biggest, baddest guy kicking rear end in the room. I earned my first million (more than enough to buy a house) in UO by offering my services as an 'epic poet' that would chronicle the adventures of heroes going into dungeons and fighting monsters into a book - and the game (at one point) supported player-written books becoming things that just existed in-game and could be bought from NPCs. At one point I ran the world's first mmorpg restaurant. I had real people logging in to play staff to random people turning up.

Lots of us as guild leaders used to club together to come up with storylines that would be fun for the hundreds of people in our community and it was almost always fun for everyone involved (a couple of ego clashes happened sometimes, but 95% of the time it was pretty seamless).

I don't think it's possible for that kind of experience to exist ever again.

For similar reasons, I have the extremely unpopular video game opinion that Star Wars:Battlefront 2 (the first one) is worse than The first Battlefront (the first one). Hero units ruined the entire point of the game where you and your teammates are a giant swarm of disposable grunts charging a trench line. But no everyone just had to play as Darth Vader instead of a Stormtrooper. I think there were more “heroes only” servers than one’s playing the actual game.

That and I didn’t like the classes or “control feel”compared to the first games, or that the much beloved space battles were actually kinda crap if you had played the Rogue Squadron or Starfighter games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

SW:BF1 was way better than SW:BF2, even though cis vs republic was so unbalanced as to be unplayable.

I will never forgive them replacing the Dark Troopers Laser Shotgun with a mall cop taser.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Even if an MMO/Live-Service game has a “good” story it doesn’t matter because the nature of the game means it will inevitably be either retconned into something bad or taken over by new much shittier writers.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

roomtone posted:

i just noticed that dark souls 1 is only 3.8gb

and now games are 100 gb

but are the graphics really 25 times as good?

I realized a while back that all this theoretical extra power post PS360 consoles an PCs have all added up to nothing more than a way for developers to be lazy and not optimize their games at all. Like Titanfall’s obscene 48gb install is all just 35gb of uncompressed audio. rather than high-end super-duper realistic graphics and physics. None of these games are actually that big, the devs just have no reason to bother making them well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

emSparkly posted:

No I have to spend hours perfectly sculpting the face of my Bloodborne character to look like me so that the game can be a more accurate allegory for my suffering.

100% this. I also prefer helmets/hats/scarves/etc that completely cover my character’s face. My character creation and fashion sense actively work against each other.

This is also why I like playing Dunmer and Argonians in Elder Scrolls. Since it means I don’t have to try figuring out what the hell my real life “nasal globular ratio” or whatever is and wrangling Oblivions potato face maker into vaguely resembling it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Selecting from a dozen or so different preset faces and/or equivalent hair types is infinitely better than all these god drat sliders. Give me Jedi Jesus from KotOR2 or the Morrowind Lego-heads any day.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

TBLALV posted:

Rimworld has a ton of interesting stuff that I will never explore because I don't like playing mean people in video games

Was going through the old Knights of the Old Republic games recently and it’s really apparent that playing a mean person is just entirely tacked on and nonsensical, especially in the first. They were some of the earliest games that really made a big fuss in their marketing campaigns about “moral choice” and making it a centerpiece of the gameplay and what not, but they are designed entirely around being nice. Mean characters have to do the exact same things as nice ones despite having zero incentive or reason to do so. You still have to work for the “good guys” and fight the “bad guys” and go on a quest to save the world. And all the other characters just have to awkwardly stare at the floor and ignore you whenever you behead an orphan and their puppy to steal $3.23 while laughing maniacally and openly gloating to them about the power of the dark side. The main character arc literally doesn’t happen if you’re evil, and the evil endings are basically a smash cut to credits because there’s no way to reconcile the obviously written for nice guy story with a mean ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Any racing game that doesn’t let me take turns at full speed is automatically bad.