Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

*taps System Shock 2 sign pointedly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Magic Carpet - best 3d flying game with terrain deformation
Crusader: No Remorse - best isometric shooter with a faux Boba Fett as protagonist
Total Annihilation - best RTS with unlimited resources
Starsiege Tribes: best multiplayer FPS

:colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
its funny how nobody ever says Half-Life or Warcraft 2, but those are probably actually the :airquote: Best :airquote: games w/r/t player enjoyment, innovation, immediate and lasting cultural impact, :words:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Its weird to me that such a popular IP has never been rebooted in any appreciable way. IIRC a studio is working on an extremely credible SS1 remake, but my heart belongs to The Many :love::can:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

there was a game called Interstate 76 in the late 90's or early 00's that was all about slapping crazy guns onto 70's muscle cars in some kind of desert wasteland environment. the game was a bit janky and the level design was weak, but i thought that idea was awesome and would love to see it in a more modern form

this game was supremely good, although IIRC the auto-targeting turrets broke the game. The :airquote: Vibe :airquote: of the game was absolutely top notch. I still quote it sometimes "Never get out of the car!"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The ashtray maze in Control was a better Doom than Doom Eternal :colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
There's been a massively popular console FPS since before the forums. (Goldeneye).

A console controller isn't as accurate as a mouse, but does it need to be? :shrug:

I'm one of the weirdos that must use a controller now. I can stumble through a few rounds of BF with k+b, but I pretty much always want to use a controller. Resting my hands on the desk sucks.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 12, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

For one they have four instead of three buttons.

"Two shoulder buttons Jerry!.... TWOOOOO!!!!!"

Its a huge :lol::lmao: that Nintendo effectively perfected the motion controller and cornered the entire market, for it to collapse into a novelty for olds to bowl with their kids.

What I'm saying is - bring back the track & field pad, gently caress my neighbors, bring the noise :getin: :hellyeah:

EDIT

no my neighbors are actually nice people plus I'm old I don't want my knee to explode

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:allears:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IMO the concept of speed runs is cool - taking something skill based and doing it faster appeals to the lizard brain in us all. stupid hard games like super meat boy, celeste, Mario maker custom maps, and to some extent hollow knight take it a different direction - frequently the only way to do it :airquote: fast :airquote: is the only way to beat the stage, so speed runs become more about rote memorization (and execution) which is interesting but not necessarily creative. I don’t really understand glitching/exploit speed runs :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Here's a hot take for the thread -

I think First Person Role Playing Games are stupid :colbert:

Ya thats right - Ultima Underworld, All the Elder Scroll games, Fallout

I think putting a FPS interface on a roleplaying game is like playing a fighting game with a racing wheel. Its pointless and it takes away from the experience.

I'm ok with games like System/Bioshock because I view them as FPSs with a slightly more convoluted weapon/inventory scheme.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Consoles are cool because they're basically as good as the 2nd highest video card and they're half the price of building a :airquote: gaming rig :airquote: Also you can talk to the bros at work about Call of Duty or whatever without nerding people out. Plus consoles get (almost all) the best games first, if you're into that sort of thing.

Consoles are dumb because they're basically multiplayer internet boxes, which attracts & enables the worst people to ruin every online multiplayer experience. They're also dumb because its a crap shoot if you have the right console to play the console exclusive game, and consoles are too expensive to really own multiple ones, especially with the paid multiplayer subscription poo poo.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I refunded Sekiro, and nearly 100% for Horizon Zero Dawn (both on PC)

I dont need a game to be hard to be fun

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

As someone who has seen it, I have to admit he's not wrong

Matrix Resurrections is the best Matrix sequel

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Mario World > Mario 3.

This isn't the Sky is Blue & Water is Wet thread :colbert:

Why has nobody been able to make another MOO 2. :words: don't @ me about Stellaris, it should be called stale-aris :rimshot:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Mario 3 was more important and so much better than the competition vs world that it wins.

as culturally important as The Wizard was, I disagree :colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
If i were to buy a Final Fantasy pixel remaster, which should I buy (I have only played American Final Fantasies on consoles in America)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Vic posted:

Why would I play overwatch when there's call of duty, titanfall , counter-strike that I can instantly just get in and own dudes without this wonky cartoon bullshit?

:hmmyes:

IMO thats the fundamental problem with OW (and I guess OW2 now): its a FPS that you can't jump into and start owning dudes.

I also have this complaint against Destiny 2, although those two products certainly share no evolutionary background... the cancerification of long-term FPS?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

it will be the biggest :lol::lmao: if the 4090 works out to be a value

DLSS 3.0 will be crazy

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

My favorite thing about graphics cards is I buy one and then go on to play games on my laptop or even if I play desktop games they're stuff that'd run fine on my previous card. I in theory would enjoy bright shiny graphics but the fact is games with them are generally are only okay at best. I also expected a 4k monitor by now but monitors are bad/expensive. Which reminds me I should cancel my Envy/Dough Spectrum order.

:haibrower:

I ran a GTX 980 for 5+ years and was pleased that I was able to run p. much everything at 1080p w/o issue. My whole PC was getting tired right around the start of COVID, so I decided to splurge and got an 3800XT + RTX 2080 Super. It was a big letdown - I had also just purchased an LG 34" 4k monitor that supported Freesync, but not G-sync, and so the highest it would go is 60hz :what: I had to spend another 800 bux (:dafuq:) to get a 27" monitor that does 165hz, and its not a very good monitor.

Circling around to canceling your pre-order - seems like that monitor is pretty legit for what it is.. any specific reason you're not moving forward? Also open to other monitor suggestions

#pchardwarechat

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
3090ti on Amazon early access sale for 999

tbh its extremely tempting, I dont even know what I'd use it for but it seems like I could run video games :discourse: for years to come

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Weirdly, despite that, FFXIV is (for now) one of the very few modern MMOs that actually requires players to group up for content. You had to group with other players for story-required dungeons until recently, when they added NPC buddies to do the dungeons with (and have started to retroactively add them to older content), and you still have to group with other players for story-required 8-player bosses. That part will probably also get NPC buddies at some point in the future but I don't think that's actively happening yet.

So by the next expansion or maybe slightly after FFXIV will be fully soloable, but for now, it actually makes you group with other players to progress, something most other major MMOs don't do.

(This isn't to disagree with your overall point but just an interesting quirk, I think.)

Being forced to join up with other players for end game content is 100% why Destiny is loving dead to me forever. I'd rather blow my brains out then try to find another group of pubbies to do a raid.

Devils Affricate posted:

I used to like MMORPGs because they were weird, interesting, and often brutal, but then WoW came out and now they're all the same exact poo poo. I find it funny that people refer to FFXIV's combat as "MMO combat". It's not. It's WoW combat.

:hmmyes: getting fuckoff lost in OG Everquest was really an experience. I never played WoW; circa 2007 or so a friend of mine was deeply into it. I stopped by his house and saw a WoW screensaver running on his 2nd monitor, a little dude running around smashing centipedes and looting their bodies, and after a while I was like "thats an extremely detailed screensaver bro" and he was like "oh no, thats a bot running the game for me. I'm leveling my something-or-other up". It kinda ruined the entire idea of the game for me.

I did put in a few thousand hours to War Thunder, however... :sigh:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

That loving Sned posted:

Oh boy all the rules and regulations of real motorsport. Although anything's better than letting you rewind time.

I like Gran Turismo but getting Project Cars was a huge mistake. I can't always be bothered to set up the wheel and pedals and this game is basically unplayable with a controller. Your driver robotically snaps the wheel back and forth 90 degrees no matter how careful you are.

I've barely touched GT7 since it came out because of how greedy it is. In GT Sport driving 26 miles each day gave you a free car, and you could do anything for it, like complete the challenges and licences or just mess around in VR. By the end of its life I had nearly every car and only had to buy a few of them.

In GT7 90% of the time you get pocket change. Unless you do the most optimal race over and over or loving automate it with remote play then you'll never afford most of what the game has to offer.

:haibrow: Ran into this problem in GT2 back in the day. I'd throw house parties and make everyone attending drive 10 laps on the 2 hour endurance courses to raise money :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I can't say about the newer GTs, but at least re: GT2, the endurance races were bonus pointless because you were either loving thrashing the AI by the third lap (lighter wheels), or you restarted. Its why the house party thing worked so great - i didn't really care if it took them ten minutes a lap or if people got bored and walked away. Just had to drive in a circle two thousand times :rolleyes:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 20, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Vakal posted:

Quake 2 on Heat.net

Man havent thought about that one in a while... all the weird quasi-proprietary multiplayer services from 99-04ish

They loving sucked

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Vakal posted:

Can't talk about Heat.Net without posting my favorite magazine ad.

On one hand, 2nd dude needs to be taken in for immediate psychiatric evaluation and holding :stare::stare::stare:

On the other hand, dude's taste in video games is immaculate

EDIT

for content - Total Annihilation was the high water mark of that era of RTS games :colbert: The unit differentiation was non-existent, especially with the weird rear end expansions, but otherwise it was perfect. Supreme Commander tried to do too much and became this weird Factorio precursor.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 5, 2022

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

I loved TA but couldn't enjoy Supreme Commander, it felt like a poor imitation

:hmmyes: Supreme Commander felt like TA on hard mode but in a bad way. IIRC it also ran like poo poo on my relatively new PC at the time.

I wish they'd return to the larger scale old fashioned RTS. Dawn of War 1 was a gem, and while I liked DoW 2 (and I think I maybe played 3? it was extremely forgettable) the micro scale / DOTA style focus doesn't really do anything for me.

I dont give a poo poo if baneblades and Titans are impossibly rare war machine relics from a forgotten age, give me a world/game where I can poo poo out a stream of them to stomp 'nid face forever.

EDIT

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Stop buying triple A games they're always expensive and they are always disappointing

For realz I wish I could get my BF 2042 money back. Thats enough money for the entire auto-shooter genre: Vampire Survivors, Rogue Genesia, Brotato, etc.

Still thinking about finding a PS5 for GOW Ragnarök though, plus Forbidden West

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Unpopular opinion - God of War Ragnarok is an extremely mediocre-to-bad game that I'll end up hate-platting. I could see liking it in a year+ when its out on PC and has some QoL improvements and a perfectly smooth frame rate. eat poo poo flame phantom

Also ray tracing is p. cool or whatever, but the genuine #1 reason to get an RTX card is for DLSS. That poo poo is magic, although there is def. some visual aberration.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

everything they've made since has been 3d :(
they can't even go the blazblue crosstag route of just reusing sprites from previous games

Good/bad news - someone can probably figure out an image AI working from those sample sets and generate tons of new, good, thematically fitting content. Alternatively, someone could figure out an image AI that will make 2d pixels from 3d models. Artists would still need to touch stuff up to make it consistent, but I would expect to see an explosion of extremely high quality animated pixel art soon.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Borderlands 2 is way better than Cyberpunk

:haibrow:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Buying steam deck seems like the ultimate self own: buying a console to play PC games in public

Caesar Saladin posted:

I haven't really felt the need for portable gaming since I became an adult and didn't have to share the tv anymore. If I'm out of the house I just read my phone or a book if I need to pass some time. Maybe if you travel a lot or something it'd be nice.

:hmmyes:

Mostly I wish phone games were better :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

my fave toilet game to play is how big a poo poo can i do

Sitting on the toilet and not actively pooping is v. bad for your b-hole and will give you hemmorhoids and other b-hole problems.

But you shouldn't strain your b-hole pooping either. Its a ~delicate balance~, one which shouldn't be managed while trying to melt the screen in Vampire Survivors

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
as much as it pains me to say it, FFX is probably the ~*best*~ Final Fantasy because
- best fight mechanics and character leveling
- insane pointless graphics/fx
- top notch timesink sidegames
- the plot reads like some loose leaf pages found in the woods after theater kids did a bunch of mushrooms

EDIT

IIRC at one point you play sportsball so hard it stops the apocalypse?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

Learning how to play Dwarf Fortress seems like a huge commitment.

I looked at Dwarf Fortress, and Kerbal Space Program and.....three thousand+ hours later, I got a spaceplane to mars Duna :byoscience:
May have made the wrong choice because I think I could've gotten weird with DF

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

FF12 is the most forgettable FF I've played, by far. I know I've finished it... Maybe it's actually an amazing game, it's just that I forgot all about it.

I'll see where DF takes me (probably not Mars)

to be completely honest, I regret nothing about sinking that much time into KSP. It was kind of a weird, decade long ride that scratched an intellectual itch I didn't know I had, and incentivized me to build at least three separate PCs. I'm sure as hell no Scott Manley, but getting pretty decent at KSP is one of the skills I'm secretly proud of and would never mention outside this dead gay forum.

I may go all-out and build a custom controller for KSP2, but I also dont really expect lightning to strike twice there

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Nier Automata is supremely boring to play

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Battlefield 1 is the pinnacle of the series :colbert:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

I sincerely enjoy how much high on life has gotten people to talk without playing the game, only watching it. It's cool and hilarious to see an evolution of games as something people play to games as something people just watch and discuss.

At a certain level, a lot of AAA games are just ten hour movies

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

single player Ultima Online is pretty fun though. just exploring the world checking out all the npcs on a server emulator

:haibrow:

I haven't personally done it, but I would be extremely into this. Ultima Online is just a server-based Ultima 7 instance AFAIK, and loving around :airquote: emergent gameplay :airquote: in Ultima 7 was literally awesome as all hell

Actually why is there no Ultima remakes? I loved those games (and plays heavily into my FPS-is-poo poo-for-RPGs opinion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

A farting mink posted:

You should join us in the Warhams thread full of old grognards who no longer play the games and just make fun of them but actually love the silly poo poo.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3694065

:haibrower: one of the best threads on the forums

fridge corn posted:

I have never watched a Rick or Morty and nothing I have ever seen of it tangentially has made me think I should do otherwise

They're funny, the animation is pretty good, and it's tonally consistent. Better than Family Guy.