Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

im sure rogue spear was just ripping off a Quake 1 mod. all these lovely new games are just high res version of Quake 1 mods

This x infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

they are doing it wrong, all of them are worse than minecraft.

what I want to see is Dwarf Fortress with all its nutty interactions, but instead of ASCII bullshit I can walk around in a 3d world like minecraft

I never played minecraft but it always looked like a waaay simplified version of good ol' Dwarf Fortress. Such a great game. I lost count of how many times my perfect fort succumbed to the most unlikely of intrusions. That or my leader went mad, sometimes with some gentle coaxing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SpaceClown posted:

we're talking games, not half rear end mods.

Pffft, keep sucking counterstrike's dick, you spacey clown. Quake is number one.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I enjoyed Torment Tides of Numenera

I'm scared to play it. After the lackuster Pillars of Eternity, I really don't want to get my hopes up that another game can do Planescape Torment real justice.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

if you dont like PoE just lol

It was mediocre. I doubt I'll play it again. The story was alright, but I didn't think much of the pacing or the leveling. By the time I got to then end and you do the last boss fight my thought was "huh. that was quick."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I don't get the weird occult moves in street fighter and try to offset my lack of skill by jumping around a lot.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I have never played the witcher and because of its fans, I am probably never going to. Whenever people tell me a game is "deep" or "dark" I generally check out. And I have a good friend who loves the witcher and sincerely says "well, you won't get it if you don't read the books."

He is 33. How the gently caress can you find sword and sorcery poo poo deep at that age? That's like when you go to imdb and realize that the popularity of movies is based on what kids vote for. So good movies take a backseat to Iron Man.

gently caress the witcher and gently caress the people who play it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

a bone to pick posted:

Iron Man is a good movie

It is not.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Jumpoff posted:

This but Smash Bros (and all fighting games).
I can see hating the fan base. I can't understand hating the game.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

weak wrists big dick posted:

this but everything

Quit posting popular opinions!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Dennis System posted:

Red Dead Redemption is really dull. Just watch Unforgiven.
I think I'll pass on both.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Fans should not have opinions. They gently caress everything up. Find me the room where they have these survey-monkeys tied to electric chairs and I'll give the fuckers the voltage to run the supercomputer of their wet dreams.

gently caress the fans of everything. They're nothing but drug addicts so they should shut up and dose up.

(please ignore any other posts I have made here)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
And DBZ can eat poo poo.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

kid/Tween favorites seem to be the recurring favorite "best game of all time" mentions coming from older people. To me, everquest was a damned magical roleplaying game that probably ruined my life, and the experience I had playing it is one of the best. Spawning in Felwithe and dying viciously to bats until i figured out how to memorize my first spells is like, objectively a poo poo experience. I would be seeking refunds if a modern game started the way that one did. But hey, it clicked back then. It was like crack I've played the original Max Payne more recently, and i didn't play it as a kid, that's an awful game. Fuckin HATE THAT poo poo. But you know i bet if i had been into it back then i would be jizzing all the gently caress over it just like I do Everquest

I was hooked on EQ for a couple of years, maybe a bit more. I think my logged hours were something ridiculous like 2 months playing time. Can still remember the opening song, the thrill of leveling and the agony of losing a level...I even had an online gf I met on there back when it was viewed as shameful to hook up with people online. I was in a pretty big guild on our server and splintered off with some other players and had a weeks-long war (which we lost), fighting on the mainland, Kunark and the moon iirc.

Every now and then I hear some place has old EQ free to play but no.

I think getting bored of Everquest was a good thing because from then on I never wasted time on MMOs again. WoW, DAoC, all the poo poo that came after couldn't promise the experience. :shrug:

e. Actually, thinking back I probably logged more time on that game than two months. It was very consuming.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 19, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

nigga crab pollock posted:

its moreso that you have like twenty years of games that don't give a poo poo about the details but will throw in references to previous works because its not like they have to start over from scratch every time. the lack of any other grounding detail means that you can probably shoehorn them together into some sort of continuity if you are an autistic wikia fandom writer despite, uh, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhlOoUAZw0M

Within 90 seconds:

"All our satellites are down"
*Incoming transmission directly to the Presidents limo, which is in transit*
"Sonic, I got the trace!"
"Mr. President, our agent in the field is contacting us."

Spare the details, indeed.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Zeroisanumber posted:

I would sell my raggedy soul for a remake of TIE Fighter.

Like a re-skin, definitely. But games that good are like butterfly wings. You going to trust them to the clumsy hands of (whoever-would-develop-it-probably-loving-ea-the-whores)? We might get more than a remake.

Let us remember always the lesson of Skyrim: beware if you ask game devs for dragons, for dragons you may receive.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
In that case, we're lucky flight sims aren't as popular right now as they were back then.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If anyone talks poo poo on vlc I'll rip their loving lungs out.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

steinrokkan posted:

vlc uses the wrong kind of ram

I just broke my favorite mug and blame you.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

steam is rubbish. any game worth playing is be had from Good Old Games

Still playing the homm3 campaign in gloriously-okay HD! Almost to the necromancer questline.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Sims was never anything more than Dungeon Keeper without combat and magic spells. gently caress the Sims and gently caress EA.

Not sure if this is a thread-appropriate post, but we seem to be playing fast and loose anyhow.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

bethesda took advantage of me when I was vulnerable and young and I'll never forgive them
Dude, in this instance Bethesda was like the trope of a hot pervy teacher. Besides, games couldn't suck as hard as they do now without them paving the way.

There's a better way to say that but my charisma is poo poo and nobody in town likes me.

a bone to pick posted:

Lol at the turbo-nerds that jump on my balls every time I bring up Bethesda games. Pathetic.
You scaliwag.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

limp_cheese posted:

This doesn't seem much like a punishment? It's like saying you caught someone using heroin so they have to use a bunch of heroin for the next month. They were going to do that anyways.

The "smoke the whole carton" punishment doesn't work very well with someone who is already a heavy user.

Then they should have to play on a laggy server with nothing but South Koreans.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Casimir Radon posted:

You talk about the Doom novels but did you know there were two Shadow Warrior novels? The first one is written by some guy named Dean Wesley Smith who writes several books a year. There's a few paragraphs early on detailing Lo Wang's decision making process as to whether or not he should eat sushi off the floor. He also made sure to use all the quotes from the game. Such as Lo Wang crashing a car and shouting "Oh poo poo I'm running into walls now!!"

Lo Wang is the best fps action hero.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

actually it is Blake Stone

Holy poo poo I forgot about those games. I change my vote.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

bradzilla posted:

System Shock 2 is really really good and Portal 2 aped a lot of the story.

Even though it's clunky, I still play that game for nostalgia. It has a lot of little jumpscares that were made worse by infinitely respawning enemies and dwindling ammo & cash.

When I played Portal (always at a friend's house) it just seemed like a game based around that one mechanic. Like, cool, I can make portals. That's pretty goddamn lazy compared to some of the teleporter levels that id Soft made.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Blake Stone was the poo poo. Low on health? Don't take a chance on that informant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

bradzilla posted:

If you're specifically referring to Portal 1, wasn't it like a tech demo that they turned into a game? I recently played Portal 1 and yeah it's really basic. Portal 2 is far more cinematic but also way easier puzzles.

That would make sense. I don't remember which one I played (could've been both) but I remember it sometimes had narration and someone told me it was the guy from Oz/Spider-man. The mechanic was interesting but it just seemed a ridiculous that was all it took to get a fanbase for a year or two. Now, combine that system with a game that's already full and fleshed out and I'd have no complaint.

Serephina posted:

Portal wasn't a AAA title, it was released literally as a freebie extra for the Orange Box (back when people still payed money for TF2). It's still beautifully made, given its context as a tech demo polished up into a full game.

And SS2 was way ahead of its time. If you can stomach the early-3D uglyness, the gameplay is still good/better than modern titles, the only real flaw in the game is the too-sharp transition from boring pregame tutorial to dumping you strait in the deep end.

Okay. Now Portal makes a lot more sense. Also lol did people actually subscribe to play TF2? Good god.

And yeah, SS2 could be really brutal esp on the harder difficulties. Sometimes I'll put a game down for a little while and when I start back up, I'm completely at a loss for what was happening. That's usually about when mechs and those weird psychic balloon sacs find me.

naeka posted:

Best multiplayer fps ever is action quake 2

My man.