Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm trying to think of many rpgs or rpg-adjacent games from the last ten years that didn't have some kind of dynamic scaling. At least the ones that had the freedom you're talking about. Souls series maybe?

Souls is a perfect example of the joy of sequence breaking OP areas early or steamrolling areas you saved later but other than that yeah IDK. Even WoW has it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Avirosb posted:

I can't for the life of me imagine playing the same game over and over again just to get to a competitive level.
No amount of money is worth the time invested.

how about the satisfaction of getting good at something? How is it different from practicing to get good at any other hobby?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rutibex posted:

the first time you play Bioshock it feels like its an open world immersive sim. you only notice that it isnt on the second play through

I noticed it on my first playthrough of Bioshock 2, when I retroactively remembered that Bioshock 1 was the same. It didn't help that I've played like all of the good modern immersive sims in the intervening period (Prey, all of Dishonored, the modern Deus Ex games, all of STALKER I think)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Avirosb posted:

I've never felt the urge to become the very best like no one ever was. To each their own I guess.
Too many video games, too little time.
Leave it to alcoholic gbs computer touchers to completely miss the point of amateur recreational competition. Do you look at people playing flag football and think "ugh no amount of money could ever convince me to put in the work to be an NFL qb"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not disagreeing with that at all

Just seriously taken aback by the things people are comparing their video game playing to

We have a dorky loving hobby guys let's not pretend it's some noble quest for betterment of the self and world

Haha this guy's seeks external validation LMBO

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
some marketing mba guy (probably correctly) saying "well we can't call it the xbox 2, grandma will think it's worse than playstation 3" and loving over xbox branding for the rest of eternity

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I think that's more of a testament to how PS3 used reasonable non-proprietary standards. Like you could bluetooth things to it or just plug in a USB keyboard (or mouse I assume), with the 360 everything was proprietary

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

I know it was just a side comment about Hades but for real, Kojima designed Metal Gear Solid level layouts with lego in his office, he's obviously a serious game designer and the whole movie director thing is super silly.

Maybe he should have learned how to use a computer for these things, it just makes him seen like more of an out of touch weirdo that passes down vague instructions and then other people make a good game

Doesn't know how to do computer aided design
Doesn't speak the language of the culture he's obsessed with
Took until MGS3.5 to say "hey maybe you should be able to swing the camera around in my 3d game"
Took until MGS4 to say "hey let's use the agreed upon control scheme for when you're playing as a man that shoots"
I don't think he understands anything about video games

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

lurker2006 posted:

The overhead camera was long in the tooth by mgs3, but it was a very good decision to stick with that in mgs1, and not follow the early full 3d trend that aged terribly.
Maybe it was an intentional decision, but if it was, I don't believe it was made by Kojima because he has never given any indication that he knows or cares what his games are like to actually play.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Icochet posted:

By day I'm a Steam gamer, at night I rock GOG and Epic. Jekyll/Hyde sort of thing
is epic still giving away games for free? I used to log in regularly just to claim them but my login expired and I don't feel like figuring out my password

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

the nerve of him!

lol you weirdo, people are so weird about Kojima

sweet, so everything else I said was correct!

Kojima in a nutshell:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Earwicker posted:

i dont know much about kojima and didnt grow up playing the mgs games but i thought death stranding was very good

The MGS games are very good fun games even if the early ones have some dated design decisions weighing them down somewhat, even for the time they were released. But all of them except for 5 and Peace Walker are pretty short and for some reason between the fun game there's interspersed scenes from really loving badly written audio dramas and CGI movies?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

Clearly he's very involved in the actual design process of the mechanics as well.

I would legitimately like to see a single shred of evidence of this. Every interview I've seen he's talking about themes or how he thinks an IRL thing is cool so he put it in his games etc. I've never seen him talk about game mechanics.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://gamingbolt.com/death-stranding-director-hideo-kojima-discusses-his-creative-creation-process

here's a bunch of tweets where he mentions poo poo like "whether to show the ceiling in the game" and whether to make the camera turn in a hallway stuff like that. How granular do you want him to get?

That's good enough, I guess he's responsible for the parts I like about his games, not just the parts I dislike

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rutibex posted:

PoE is entirely reset every three months. it takes like 5 hours to reach the "end game"

your brain is completely broken if you don't understand why this is irrelevant to someone who bounced off the game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

sebmojo posted:

That's a yahtzee reference and afaict has nothing to do with natzis

No matter the origin, people who don't realize it's in poor taste in tyool 2021 or just don't care are probably nazis

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Its hosed up that the Yakuza games exist at all, I don't care how nuanced the portrayal is, gamers are dumb and many will take nothing away from it except a glorification of evil people traffickers

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

It's hosed up that Dungeon Keeper even exists. I don't care how nuanced the portrayal is. Gamers are dumb and many will take nothing away from it except a glorification of demon traffickers

The Yakuza are real in real life you stupid gently caress

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Lol I bet you think people play gta then go out cop killing

I wish

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Flannelette posted:

Just wait till they see how much they glorify war in games!

Games that are about IRL wars are indeed hosed up

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Meme Poker Party posted:

Guy you're on about some weird poo poo.

Like yeah it's slightly awkward because Yakuza are real and still exist. But I don't know why you assume other people are incapable of distinguishing fantasy from reality. Most people are quite capable of that. And that's with poo poo that is played somewhat straight like GTA or something. Never mind a game where you don chicken suits and use weapons like "Celestial Microphone".

Like the Yakuza are halfway to anime with the wacky off the wall poo poo they do. I don't think anyone is confusing it for a genuine portrayal of Crime Guys.

Then maybe it shouldn't be named after a real life organization that kidnaps girls to keep them in cages in order to sell into sex slavery

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Meme Poker Party posted:

That's a big yikesaroo!

this but unironically

I got prison simulator for free on Epic and I hear it's a good game but I'm not gonna play it because it's hosed up

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Space Kablooey posted:

you can make a prison that has a bunch of schools and workshops and whatnot to rehabilitate the prisoners.

but my goal is still to generate profit no?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
my steam controller owns bones.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
i'm only in this thread because i get probed if i go into the metal gear thread to post my kojima takes

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Fur20 posted:

who tf needs a monitor or speakers computers have hdmi out. is your regular tv a crt or something

look at this pleb who doesn't pretend that a 144hz monitor will totally make a difference for some sedentary 36 year old with a reaction time of half a second

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Duck and Cover posted:

Board games would be superior as video games. Setup times? Gone. Cleanup? Gone. Having to wrangle enough people to play? Much much easier thanks to the internet. Complicated scoring? Done for you. No need for a massive table. Less of an annoyance to save your game and come back to (that table might be used for other things). Oh and video games tend not to have limited runs.

Also what the gently caress is with the single player board games pretending their multiplayer? No no board game you can't fool me you're a single player game with no to very little interaction with other players.

It's true. The only games that have a right to exist as physical board games are the ones involving psychology and deception like codenames and mafia and stuff, and those often have minimal physical components.

I don't think this will be unpopular here, but lots of nerds would get mad from hearing this: paper TCGs are pointless. Magic is so much loving better digitally, whether it's the streamlined Arena client or MTGO. The rules are basically pseudocode anyway, it makes so much more sense to have a computer track the minutia for you instead

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Earwicker posted:

counterpoint: mouse trap is better as a board game, involves no psycology or deception, and has a whole bunch of physical components

another good counter example is hungry hungry hippos

those are sports, not board games

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

This is more a TCG than a board game example, but in Magic the Gathering, there was a card called "chaos confetti" where, according to the rules printed on the card, to use it, you'd tear up the card and throw it at the playing area from at least five feet away, and anything you managed to hit with the pieces would be removed from the game. It was part of the unglued set which were all joke cards anyway, and you could easily use notebook paper or something to stand in for the card...

Why did you make this post

It makes me irrationally angry that you made this post

It's a joke card based on an urban legend about a real card

It's a piece of trivia that is pointless to restate because everyone who knows about magic is initiated into it, and the uninitiated will only be misled by your telling of it

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

i feel like a big part of the appeal of modern boardgames is that you don't have to stare at a screen to play a game and you actually get to look at your friends and laugh at their misfortune as you play with them. Playing a boardgame online isn't a substitute for having your friends over at your house at all.

Yes but then you should play a party game that emphasizes the fact that your friends are human beings (e.g. codenames, some version of charades, mafia, etc). If the humans' only job is computing the game state and making decisions based on that game state (e.g. rolling dice and moving pieces), that is suboptimal, casual friends-having. Min-max your social interactions.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

you really wanna see a bunch of dnd nerds play charades? That sounds like one of the worst things.

they should just play the games that they enjoy together, which might be dice rolling games. You're saying that they're better off staying at home playing magic the gathering over the computer?
d&d is a party game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The good video game stories are super sparse and have set story beats but then allow the player to choose how to get between those beats, like immersive sims and dark souls

Paradoxically, good CRPGs like fallout and planescape kinda do the same thing -- most of the text is really great side flavor stuff that comprises the large stretches between the sparse set story beats

Another reason why Bioshock is a bad immersive sim, it's way too heavy on the mandatory story.

JRPG stories are awful, FF6 has an awful story and the only reason people like it is because of nostalgia. Kojima's stories are really bad too. I really do think that if someone puts a story in a video game that could have been told via another medium, it's a bad story because if they were a good writer they'd be writing in another industry. The good video game stories are the ones that could have only been told in a video game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Making a game that's like an opera or, more relevantly to many games, like a movie, is dumb and a failure to embrace the medium. The cinematic poo poo especially is so infuriating, and not just in terms of storytelling. Why do you make your first person (or any) game look like it was shot by a camera? Why do you have lensflare? Why do you have depth of field? If you're very pedantic, the human eye might work that way, but the human brain certainly doesn't. Even realistic effects like being blinded by the sun are annoying. I'm playing some superhero with a million magic powers, give me the magic power of "being able to look at a bright light without blinding myself". That poo poo is annoying in real life, why the gently caress would I want to simulate it in my escapist fantasy?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Lakitu are canon in AC

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Who wants to play AC in the modern day and age anyway? I got the pirate one for free and played an hour of it and was like "cool, it's a modern open world game, I've played this before and I don't need to play it again"

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

signalnoise posted:

For Shenmue 3, long-time fans never liked it for the gameplay. We all just wanted to see where the story went and to have some closure on that memory and they hosed that up.

It takes a lot for me to laugh at sad nerds' expense but I just cannot help but get some schadenfreude out of the disappointment of people who have been waiting 18 years for the conclusion of a crappy anime game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Coolness Averted posted:

those weirdos who said steam was bad and you'd eventually lose all your games in 2002 were right
I hadn't logged into steam in 5 years and now gaben is demanding a photo of a receipt with a cdkey from a third party purchase to prove I'm me, despite still having the same name, e-mail, and phone for the privilege of playing my old games or giving him more money. No one ever hacked or stole my account because I still recieve daily messages about stuff steam wants to sell me on that email account.

Yeah I had an old account that only had a couple of games on it and they're asking me for the original retail cs1.6 key that I used to open that account lmao

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I've said this time and again, it should be legally mandated that every character in video games is a sexless, genderless mannequin. The drop of games that manage to handle sexuality gracefully are worth giving up to destroy the ocean that do not

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

signalnoise posted:

It's inaccurate, but it's not bad faith. It does more than "just blur". It also adds linear paths that were not meant to be there. If you prefer this, that's you, but acting like it's improving the accuracy of the image to the intention, without question, is some major side-eye poo poo

Now, if you say you don't understand what's going on here, I'd say it's you who's arguing in bad faith.

Also consider that those sprites were surely cherry picked to be the ones that look good with the filter. Those are some of the best sharpened sprites I've ever seen, but personally I still prefer the pixels for basically the same reason you're saying -- filters can't add information, only remove it, so I'd rather see the sprite as originally drawn and let my brain fill in the gaps of what they were going for, instead of locking myself into seeing what the filter would produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Quote-Unquote posted:

I didn't really mind it in the Witcher 3 because at least the characters had some kind of history over a whole bunch of books, and also there was a very obvious 'nah' button but in ME:A I seem to say things that are cringey and flirty unintentionally because the text prompt just seems like a nice thing to say to encourage a friend.

But other than that I am joining the fridge corn "Mass Effect Andromeda is cool and good" club because I'm enjoying this game quite a lot.

isn't witcher the one where you get a collectible card every time you gently caress a woman