Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
My dad was apparently really into Pac Man in the 80s but nothing much outside of that. I had I believe one of the NBA2k games on Dreamcast and made a custom team full of maxed out height players and challenged my dad a few times and always destroyed him, but he was always a good sport about it. I also remember playing Ready 2 Rumble with my grandparents once randomly and my grandma actually had a good time.

I had one of the Tiger Woods games on GameCube and my dad got SUPER into it and basically 100% it with his custom character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Skyrim combat was ruined for me because I played Dark Souls immediately before it. I still got like 60 hours out of it mainly questing, but at a certain point I just got annoyed with how nothing reacted to me swinging my giant maces at them. Long fights were just me standing in front of the enemy watching my weapons limply grazing their face while their health bar slowly went down.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I'm excited for TotK but I personally HATE voice acting in Zelda. In BotW I changed it to Russian and it made the VA slightly less annoying and also a bit humorous.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I find the idea of a "forever game" kind of existentially terrifying in its hollowness.

I had a friend who when looking for a house at ~30 constantly talked about looking for his "forever home" and it irked me in the same way. Like, I love my house and I'm proud of it, but the thought of just settling until I'm dead here is not an ideal for me.

Said friend still plays WoW pvp semi competitively and works the same job he did in college and it's part of the reason we don't hang out anymore.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
You can beat anything in the Souls games whenever you want with the right strategies and enough perseverance. Probably not worth it in ER unless you want bragging rights though imo

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Drake sword is a bit of a trap imo. Yes it can take you to mid game, but the upgrade materials are better spent on something like the black knight weapons. You'll also learn more figuring out the black knight fights than mindlessly shooting arrows at the drake's tail for 15 minutes

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Weapon viability in Souls games is all about moveset and the Zweihander has a great one + it hits like a truck

The poke is quick with tons of range and the sweep destroys packs of enemies

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I've softened a lot on controllers thanks to this thread convincing me to try them for Elden Ring, but I still feel a little spark of anger every time I go to precise aim with a bow and have to use the analogue sticks. If I'm in a situation where my target is shooting back I find it almost impossible because of how long it takes me to line up a shot.

Tbf archery is always just straight up rear end in Souls games compared to anything else. It's passable for pulling and at best halfway decent if you use great bows with lockon for gimmick shotgun builds.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Forza has great difficulty options that feel very intuitive and make you actually want to up them. You ger bigger payouts from races for turning down/off braking lines, turning off TCS and ABS, changing collision models, and using manual instead of automatic (and even introducing a clutch button on top of a simple manual scheme)

Offers a clear incentive for skill progression without any extra dumb fake difficulty added AND makes the game feel more and more accurate to real life.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I beat DS2 when it came out and it was like an 8/10 to me. I ragequit playing SotFS at the lava area in the gauntlet before the pvp rooftop area because it was just total enemy spam bullshit.

Souls games have a lot of these, but usually you can get by through good navigational skills plus proper roll timing or getting good at dispatching mobs quickly. In this particular area those enemies take so much time to kill individually that it's not even fun. On top of that the fatal flaw is that you take damage while opening doors, something that doesn't happen in any other Souls game.

The result is that you're completely roadblocked into killing about 15 enemies with stupidly high health and armor and aren't fun to fight until you get through or despawn them while also dealing with a bunch of traps that will instantly kill you.

It just wasn't fun and I knew it would get worse at all the already difficult areas later on so I just stopped playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah I really only parried in Bloodborne to farm blood vials too. I love Souls games but trying to learn parry timing on every single enemy and boss was tedious and split my attention too much when I could get the same result just focusing on pure damage