Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Hello,

I ride the bus as I legally cannot drive a car on account of space madness. I really like buses and I was wondering what kind of bus is considered the best. My city has a lot of different buses but I really like the 7900-series Nova Bus LFS. It has a Cummins ISL9 Medium-Duty Truck engine with bypass oil filtration and targeted piston cooling which is pretty good but I'm not sold on it since it's a 2013 model and I'm sure there is something better by now. These came into use around 2014 but they seem to be running along just fine. The seats are hella nice, too. I'm a big fan of the ZF 6AP1400B transmission as you can barely feel it start and stop. Not as jerky as the old Orion I 4915-series buses were. We have a lot more New Flyer D40LF 1000-series on the streets but they're just not slick enough, you know?

At any rate, please share your bus opinions with me as I'm very keen to know. Thanks so much for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Ben Smash posted:

Hello,

I ride the bus as I legally cannot drive a car on account of space madness. I really like buses and I was wondering what kind of bus is considered the best. My city has a lot of different buses but I really like the 7900-series Nova Bus LFS. It has a Cummins ISL9 Medium-Duty Truck engine with bypass oil filtration and targeted piston cooling which is pretty good but I'm not sold on it since it's a 2013 model and I'm sure there is something better by now. These came into use around 2014 but they seem to be running along just fine. The seats are hella nice, too. I'm a big fan of the ZF 6AP1400B transmission as you can barely feel it start and stop. Not as jerky as the old Orion I 4915-series buses were. We have a lot more New Flyer D40LF 1000-series on the streets but they're just not slick enough, you know?

At any rate, please share your bus opinions with me as I'm very keen to know. Thanks so much for your time.

i like the school bus the best

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i like the school bus the best

I bet you ride a Blue Bird Micro Bird T-Series.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
best is subjective.

best city busy won't be the best long-haul and vise versa. school buses generally are bottom of the bucket.

Building on this. Best for cost? servicability? rider features? usable life?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Greyhound busses because if you drive right beside them on the highway you can leach off their free wifi.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I'm a pretty big fan of our local silver/orange SmartBus DesignLine bodied MAN 16.240s

They have GPS tracking and poo poo so the stops tell you how far away the next bus is and whatnot, and it's actually accurate.

E: I can't believe I forgot about the alpha-bus, the Neoplan Megaliner;

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

best is subjective.

best city busy won't be the best long-haul and vise versa. school buses generally are bottom of the bucket.

Well I really only have experience with Major City buses.I used to really like articulated buses but I don't know anymore. As much as I enjoy the experience, I don't really like the overall ride of the 7300-Series MAN Articulated but the New FLyer DE60LF seems to be doing well in it's place. I'm really excited to see what Madison has to offer with their rollout of the Proterra Catalyst zero emissions models. Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride in one yet.

Mr. Shitbox what is your favorite kind of bus?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

literally a fish posted:

E: I can't believe I forgot about the alpha-bus, the Neoplan Megaliner;

psh, alpha bus. It's probably not even nuclear powered.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ben Smash posted:

Mr. Shitbox what is your favorite kind of bus?

I know he likes GM New Look fishbowl buses, but I'm sure he likes other kinds too.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

psh, alpha bus. It's probably not even nuclear powered.

Wow that's a cool bus, what city uses them?

I've always wondered, does the VW Bus count as a real bus or is it just stolen bus valor?

I really dig the aesthetic of the Thomas Safe-T-Liner C2 but it brings back a lot of bad memories for me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Newflyers are generally a pain in the rear end in terms of parts/service. but god they're pretty.

City bus? GM RTS, or Fishbowl. 8v71/6v92 and 6v71 respectively.
Road? H5-60(8v92), Eagle10s,(8v71) MCI8 w/12v71. I like the looks of a lotta neoplans offerings, but I have very little experience in that department. I mostly dealt with MCI, Eagle, Prevost and GM. Prevosts drive like no other. MCIs are good for 3/30. 3 million miles or 30 years.

My first bus. PD4104, GM. 4 speed manual, Detroit 671, non turbo, 2valve head.

My current bucket of bolts.
Gillig DT16. mid engine 743 flat six turbo'd cummins, 15 speed manual trans, tandem axle with either 4.56 or 4.88 rears.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ben Smash posted:

Wow that's a cool bus, what city uses them?

Dildo, Newfoundland.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Can anybody help me figure out what kind of bus this is?

I can never get a straight answer from the nice people who drive it and they're usually too busy to really answer my questions. Free coffee, though, so, bonus.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That's an RV (Recreational Vehicle) not a bus, although underneath they are very similar. :eng101:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

This is a h5-60. it was Prevosts first bus designed exclusively in CAD. I have yet to ever work on/drive one, but have seen 3 in the flesh. they're powered by a midship 8v92TA engine. to remove 3 structural members have to be cut then welded back in. The hinge assembly runs about 60 grand usd. they are absofuckinglutely massive.

4104 youtubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaEo_s9rKkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1rqLazl4yw

Gillig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPG8PSLX_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFT95sJDSFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBn5aCCwosU

E: those rv style buses are chassis built probably by freightliner, body finished by a coachbuilder. a fellow goon on here works at a body plant.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

That's an RV (Recreational Vehicle) not a bus, although underneath they are very similar. :eng101:

So they are lying on their website! They explicitly state that it is an "Outreach Bus", I thought that was a make or model!

Does anyone know what kind of bus they were driving in that Taiwan accident today? I want to be careful to avoid that kind of bus.

E: Here's a picture, for reference:

I AM AN IDIOT

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bus name? prob a little bit of a misnomer. that same chassis could be used for a shortie schoolbus too.

Yeah about bus crashes. no bus holds up for two shits. I've explained to my spouse in the event of a crash, he will probably lose me.
Possible NSFW bus torn the gently caress up: :nms:

http://i.imgur.com/YmuQEZY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wOve0HS.jpg

This was a latemodel VanHool. Commercial vehicles do not crash like cars.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

In Detroit the best bus is the one that actually shows up, and no one tries to fight you on it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

Greyhound busses because if you drive right beside them on the highway you can leach off their free wifi.

I call bullshit because every single Greyhound bus I got on in my miserable 3 day journey never had working wifi.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I call bullshit because every single Greyhound bus I got on in my miserable 3 day journey never had working wifi.

yeah, but you were going through the south, they don't even have internet there yet.

up here in canada, pretty much all of them have it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ben Smash posted:

Does anyone know what kind of bus they were driving in that Taiwan accident today? I want to be careful to avoid that kind of bus.

if my googlesearch correct about the incident you mention, Neoplan Cityliner. ~2001 model.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This thread is the forums equivalent of a short bus.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want survivability, get a DUKW, aka a DUCK. They're well known here for colliding with a traditional charter bus and murdering five of its passengers.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
My favorite bus is the GM New Look 290 series

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Breakfast Feud posted:

My favorite bus is the GM New Look 290 series

That's a classy looking bus, right there. We could talk about famous buses, too, if you like.

A few ideas come to mind.

The general motors buses that Montgomery, Alabama were using circa 1955. I can't find much about them but I'm a big fan of the look.

Touring buses in Europe circa late 1980s, those were peak heavy metal years in Europe and a lot of those buses were killer.

Buses in running in LA circa 1994. The 105 freeway had just opened, it must have been cool to drive those buses fast!

Thought experiments:
Catbus
What kind of bus could put up with all the stresses the magic school bus went through?
Why are buses so dang cool?

Thanks for your time!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Clearly, the best bus is a trolleybus.

It combines a bus and a trolley! They are also very quiet.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
What happens when the trolley bus has to make a sharp turn!? I would be scared if it had to turn suddenly!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I like Setras.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
buses don't make sharp turns. Theres a battery backup onboard if they have to disconnect mains. SF uses a ton of electric gilligs. They run gear reduction hubs and have torque like a son of a bitch.

unrelated:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

buses don't make sharp turns. Theres a battery backup onboard if they have to disconnect mains. SF uses a ton of electric gilligs. They run gear reduction hubs and have torque like a son of a bitch.

Muni is the only place I've ever ridden that has all of their automated messages end with "Hold on!" and they mean it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Shibuya's Hachiko buses are the best buses. All the benefits of a bus and a loyal doggy.

CharlesM posted:

If you want survivability, get a DUKW, aka a DUCK. They're well known here for colliding with a traditional charter bus and murdering five of its passengers.
Alvis Stalwarts are better.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

That bus is Kawaii as gently caress.

so is this one or is this more of a van?

here's another cool bus!

idk if this really counts as a bus but god drat they are going to make it work!

somebody should let these kids know that this is not a bus

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Is a trailer bus a bus?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
idk but it's GOING PLACES

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Hi Ben, are you a fan of hybrid buses?

This is the Alexander Dennis Enviro 400H hybrid diesel-electric double-decker. With a BAE Systems Hybridrive electric drivetrain featuring the Cummins ISB4.5 diesel and 195kW of electric power it's a quick, quiet, efficient bus that's significantly smoother under acceleration than older diesel-only examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auoWXTGeGGM&t=30s

Solidly a grade A+ bus

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like this bus and it is conveniently for sale. Don't lowball him though because as we all know UNIQUE=VALUABLE

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/school-bus-one-of-a-kind/1238008337?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I always thought an Optare Alero would make a nice little RV conversion, but apparently they use a poo poo engine. And they weigh twice what they have any business weighing.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Mechanism Eight posted:

Hi Ben, are you a fan of hybrid buses?

This is the Alexander Dennis Enviro 400H hybrid diesel-electric double-decker. With a BAE Systems Hybridrive electric drivetrain featuring the Cummins ISB4.5 diesel and 195kW of electric power it's a quick, quiet, efficient bus that's significantly smoother under acceleration than older diesel-only examples.

Solidly a grade A+ bus

Hello Mr. Eight,

Cheers for the post!

That seems like a very good bus and the seats look super nice. I'm wondering though, could we build some sort of baby containment area into a bus like that? Perhaps some sort of soundproof vestibule?

slidebite posted:

I like this bus and it is conveniently for sale. Don't lowball him though because as we all know UNIQUE=VALUABLE

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/school-bus-one-of-a-kind/1238008337?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Wow this baby needs a lot of work but I bet you could retool it into one of those party buses what which have the stripper pole in them.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I always thought an Optare Alero would make a nice little RV conversion, but apparently they use a poo poo engine. And they weigh twice what they have any business weighing.

Mr. Handyman,

I really like handicapable buses and I like to pretend they are transformers but for cripples. Is this one "accessible"?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They're lower than granny tits and on airbags, so I think so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I think the handicapable need cool buses too

like these

this guy is problematic on account of the stairs but maybe they could put a crane or a tow hook on it? idk i'm just spit-balling here

• Locked thread