Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

In other news Arrieta has apparently reversed course and says he's open to extension talks and would like to remain a Cub:
Shockingly, he is less amped to test free agency after having a regression year than he was after having a career-best year. Who could have guessed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I feel bad for the guy who has to try and replace Vin Scully this year .
It's Joe Davis and I'm a fan of him thus far. It's best when the booth is just him and Orel but sometimes they add Nomar too and it turns into a clusterfuck.

edit: Last year they hired Joe Davis to be the main pbp guy on tv for away games. He worked with Orel Hershiser and Nomar Garciaparra (sometimes) as the color guys. Davis is young and has a solid understanding of modern baseball analytics. He has done a good job of including some concepts into broadcasts and getting Orel to reflect on them. He'll mention stuff like contact rate or refer to a guy as "25% better than a league average hitter" in reference to wRC+ without actually naming the acronym. Davis is also very active on twitter (actually engages with fans and replies to things) which I think is a good thing for someone in that position.

Steiner and Monday are pretty much radio-only at this point which is good cause they fuckin' suck.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 16, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'd like to see dueling Ryu-Maeda ramen commercials

meanwhile, Ryu's fastball was last seen at 84-86 mph :smith:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 16, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I've read interviews with football players saying that they really don't enjoy food any more because they've got to eat so much and so often to maintain that size. Couple that with an athlete's metabolism and you can see how guys can shrink down once they no longer have to put themselves through 8 meals a day of steak and chicken breasts and 12-egg omelettes.
More evidence that football is dumb and should be abandoned completely

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's a loving balk and you'll never convince me otherwise

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

He never lands his left foot until he throws and stays within the normal range of a "delivery" while he's moving toward the plate. I think that's how he stays within the rules for most umpires - it's like a variation on a foot drag. It would be tremendously difficult to do anymore than what Capps does, I think. Of course, if there was a sudden flood of pitchers delivering like this and it clearly affected the game, I'm sure they'd clarify the rules like they did for ambidexterity pitchers.

My real opinion is that the delivery is allowable even though it's as close to illegal as you can get. What umpires should watch for, imo, is the height of his hop and to make sure the right foot always lands before the left. I wouldn't like it if half the relievers in baseball started doing this.
His right foot clearly leaves the ground already though so what about the "height of his hop" are you saying should be monitored?

also Puig is ready for.... something

https://twitter.com/JesusQuinonezTV/status/832616201071124482

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

I realized I never looked at this year's schedule and who the Angels play (like vs NL). The Angels have four Mike Trout bobblehead giveaways this year. 3 different regular ones, and a double headed MVP. And.... Nolan Ryan.

Sounds like the Angels are due to spend a ton of money on a lovely player next off season. Hosmer for 100M+ sounds about right.
It's pretty stupid they aren't doing a Pujols bobblehead to commemorate his 600th dinger, seeing as he's only 9 away. Maybe they'll put one together after it happens.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Free streams are great until they freeze at a key moment and it takes you 5 minutes to load another one
lol like the mlb.tv stream never does this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your Taint posted:

The thing that would help them the most is starting postseason games an hour or so earlier so the people who have to go to work the next morning can stay up and watch the whole thing live.
on the other hand, they already start at 4 or 5pm for those of us on the west coast

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

Rob Manfred sucks and seeing pitchers throw wild pitches and being completely out of sync after throwing them is awesome. poo poo some of the Tigers best bullpen meltdowns came from Leyland forcing guys to come in out of the pen and intentionally walking a guy and then not being able to find the strike zone again.
Yeah this is the part that bothers me the most as well. It was an extra minor penalty to an IBB.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The least intrusive way to enforce pace of play rules is to do so very stringently at the minor league level and thus ingrain habits as players develop.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They are already doing it in a limited sense with the pitch clock in some places. I think they should expand the pitch clock to every level and league of the minors. You could probably do this and never add it to the majors, and see an overall reduction in the time between pitches.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As someone who's watched entirely too much Pedro Baez in the last couple years, I don't want the time between pitches to get any longer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Bawfuls, Corey Seager told Roberts he never had his "A-swing" last year. According to a tweet by Ken Gurnick.
Literally the second coming of Cal Ripken Jr

Maybe he had his "A-swing" during his September call up in 2015 when he hit .337/.425/.561 for a wRC+ of 176

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 23, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trout is going to randomly have a 40-40 year one of these days

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your Taint posted:

They do, but people around here don't like to admit it.
They do, to an unquantified degree.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm guessing the ability to get good leads and break at the right time dwarfs the time saved from running a couple MPH faster than another guy.
puig.txt

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How many season seats do the Cubs sell? Presumably it isn't the full 42,000 or whatever capacity is. I know the Dodgers cap at something like 32k of the 56k total.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Whyyyyyyy do pro athletes so often go to such mediocre tattoo artists??

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ScottyJSno posted:

You tube has a bunch of old raido broadcasts. I listened to a 196? Cubs v Brooklyn game. A young Vin Scully calling a Sandy Colfax start. The Dodgers gave 1000 cigarettes to veterans hospitals for every HR.
a lot going on in this post

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Was there a typhoon or was the field designed for absolutely no drainage?

will_colorado posted:

is the field is below street level? That would likely put it below sea level, which could cause a serious drain issue.
It has rained a lot here the past 24 hours, and the field is roughly even with street level, which in that area is barely above sea level.

I wonder if there's something else going on though, because today was far from the first day of heavy rain we've had this winter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ayers/98527888/

Two-minute time limit on instant replay. Starting this season, if I'm reading the article right.
All this is going to do is lead to fewer overturned calls, including plenty of cases where the evidence is fairly clear but the Umps in NYC can't convince themselves because of whatever dumb minutia.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

It was the Dodgers I think. They were using a laser range finder in pregame drills and then leaving markers.

Now teams will just have to make divots in the grass.
This. Guarantee the Dodgers will still use laser range finders pre-game to determine their reference points for OF positioning, and then the players will just put divots into the grass with their cleats.

I guess this is an improvement over a small spray-painted tuft of grass because....?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah. Just about everybody kicks some divots into the outfield grass while they're out there and if it's too loose a rule your going to end up penalizing guys who do it when they're bored along with guys who have a divot for every guy in the batting order.
That's not how these markers work btw. Teams mark a reference point for each of the 3 OF positions and then shift left/right/in/out some amount relative to that for each player/situation.

Popete posted:

He'd been challenged before in the minors though. Same thing needs to happen with Urias "pick off".
Urias' move is legal and good and it will haunt you for the next decade.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 3, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Given that Miller actively disdained the Hall of Fame, and always swore he'd boycott the induction ceremony if he were ever voted in, it would feel a little weird to put him in posthumously.
I thought he did this in reaction to the hall's initial resistance towards his induction.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

make a new hall across the street with Barry, Rocket, and Marvin only

Arod can come too I guess

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's the kind of thing I'd hoped to see when they first implemented statcast so that's cool. Will be interesting to see if/how that stuff evolves over time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I dunno what's weird about that. Biometric monitoring seems to be a clear area of current sports innovation.

edit: the real Ned Colletti is now on twitter and has decided he's going to be some third-rate beat reporter

https://twitter.com/realnedcolletti/status/838794229245566977

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 6, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

You can hit the ball out of the yard and not disrespect the pitcher too can't you? He never said that he'd throw at someone just for taking him deep.
:lol: "disrespect the pitcher"

A bat flip is a pretty mild celebration of an on-field accomplishment. Professional pitchers should be able to handle the indignity of seeing their opponent toss their equipment away with a slight flourish.

Seriously think for a moment what Arrieta is saying here. He can't stand to see someone drop a bat in a kinda different way without it hurting his ego so much he feels compelled to try and physically injure the guy next time he gets a chance. That's absurdly stupid.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

What if the batter crosses the mound on their way to the dugout after making an out? Can we throw at them then?
in Texas, castle doctrine comes into play here and the pitcher is within his rights to shoot the trespasser with his constitutionally protected sidearm

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

If he was launching his bat a la Bautista then yeah I would be, but he's not that type of player so once again idk what were talking about here. He gets hit because he wants to.
What is wrong with a big bat flip "a la Bautista" exactly?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

Nothing. I've never said I think there's anything wrong with bat flipping, talking trash, or celebrating whatsoever.
Then why are you defending violent retaliation for them?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

We're going in a circle here bud
You won't stand behind your posts so whatever. You say you don't advocate beaning but also that we shouldn't care about it or express any displeasure about it because "that's the way it's always been" and we aren't going to change the sport now. Then you imply that at least certain bat flips are deserving of retaliation but again refuse to defend this position so yes I suppose we are going in circles.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Mets SPRING SENSATION!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

will_colorado posted:

N: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/nolan-arenado-world-baseball-classic-team-usa/

V:

*Terrell Owens tears*

THAT'S MY THIRD BASEMAN. :patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

the WBC could have a bunch of Americans form a Polish team.
All I got out of this was that deep down Arenado wants to come home to Dodger Stadium.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/840734420147494913

V: :swoon:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Manny never needs to get into the HoF because he'll just play forever, eventually barnstorming as an 80 year old man

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Your opinion IS HIGH IT IS FAR IT IS GAAAAAAHHHN

WAIT ITS CAUGHT at the warning track
Charlie Steiner forums account spotted

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seiferguy posted:

A small brass band should go to a weeknight game and sit in an unoccupied part of the stadium and start playing a bunch of music, and see what happens.
Many (most?) stadiums don't allow fans to bring instruments through the gates. Dodger Stadium made an exception for the WBC specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kershaw doesn't have enough Cy Young Awards yet IMO, needs a 4th this year

• Locked thread