Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

True, but this guy needs one now

My main goal is that I don’t want to be bad.
-Corey Seager

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

While we're wishing for things that won't happen, I'd like Rich Hill and Hyun Jin Ryu to each make 30+ starts for the Dodgers this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

You'll have to settle for 28 combined starts, the other 32 starts will feature 85 mph fastballs from Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, and a 27 year old AAA journeyman whose name we don't know yet.
Yes, and the Dodgers will still beat the Giants by 8 games only to get bounced in the NLCS again

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

So apparently it's "unlikely" that Julio Urias will break camp with the Dodgers.

At what point are the Dodgers gonna let that kid loose? I realize there are development timetables and all that, but it seems like they're just keeping a front-end starter out of their rotation because they refuse to increase his innings limit.
This is no surprise. He will spend maybe a month in extended spring and then get called up. They likely want to limit his innings this year to around 160 (but they'll never say that number publicly). They don't want him in the bullpen and they don't want to shut him down mid season and restart, and they want him to be available in October. He may skip a start periodically during the year, but he'll probably make 25 or so starts this year once he's called up.

They hosed up his innings progression because of his cosmetic eye surgery two years ago. In 2014 he threw 87 IP and the following year he only threw 80 because of the surgery. So that limited him to about 120 last year hence they only want him around 160 or so this year.

But on top of all that, the Dodgers have enough healthy starters right now that they need to keep some guys with options down in AAA until the inevitable injuries start piling up anyway. Urias will be up by mid May at the latest.

Dude is still only 20 years old so we shouldn't be expecting 180 IP out of him yet anyway.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

He's 20 and he already has 350+ innings of MiLB/MLB work on his arm. The Dodgers project to be plenty good without him in the rotation so I don't see why you shouldn't keep him in the minors and let him continue developing and working him up to a steady IP/year without putting too much strain or pressure on him and injuring a potential franchise cornerstone pitcher before he's 22.
From a development standpoint, he has nothing left to learn in AAA. He needs to be facing MLB pitching to continue his development, the only issue is his workload, and even that is only an issue because he's so good they want him pitching in October. If the team wasn't competitive, he'd just pitch in MLB until he hits his limit and then be shut down for the year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

It's the Dodgers pitching staff.

It's not like all of Ryu, Wood, Hill, McCarthy and Kazmir will stay healthy long enough for him to not be up in May
Don't sleep on Ryu, dude has thrown the second most innings this spring on the team behind Kershaw, and has a 2.57 ERA and 12/1 K/BB with a sub-1 WHIP to go with it. The Monster is back!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Spring

Training

Stats
I want to believe! :colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That cursed hellhole should be burned to the ground and the earth below it salted and left barren for a dozen generations. Baseball was not meant to be played there and the gods of the game punish both the Rockies (via perennial mediocrity) and visiting teams (via a never ending stream of freak injuries on the field) for their hubris.

(I hear it's a lovely place to see a game though)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

'twas. It was because his team at the time (I don't remember which because I don't remember the year and I'm lazy) was so bad that pretty much the whole town was writing into the newspaper about how bad they were, so Veeck took 'em to task and essentially said "You think you can do better?" Part of the reason it worked is because they had attendance in the low hundreds because they were doing so badly at the time.

Pretty sure they ended up losing, but it didn't actually make the game appreciably longer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

I know it's spring training so it doesn't matter but the Reds as a team have looked terrible. They're in full on tank mode this season. Someone (Cubs please???) please save Joey Votto.
Votto is on record saying he doesn't want to leave Cincinnati, even if the Reds are going to be bad for awhile and their fans think he's bad at baseball.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Those are two really dumb and bizarre predictions but Grant Bisbee is a saint!
woah woah lets not get carried away here, he's a good dude but he's still a Giants fan

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

YES

I was thinking 3 years, $54M was about fair, I'm fine with a minor overpay if it makes him what will hopefully be a Cardinal for life. Then again, 3 years would only take us to his age 37/38 season, if the WBC is any indicator the man's going to play more years than Bartolo.
I wouldn't bet on any catcher still being productive at age 38+
There have been 11 qualified seasons by a catcher aged 38+ of more than 2 bWAR, and 4 of them were Carlton Fisk (including the top 3). The odds are against him, to say the least.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Who would win a hypothetical 5 game series starting next week between the Oklahoma City Dodgers and the San Diego Padres? For the sake of this dumb hypothetical, Urias is in OKC not extended spring.

OKC rotation: Julio Urias, Brock Stewart, Trevor Oaks, Josh Sborz, Chase De Jong
SDP rotation: Jhoulys Chacin, Clayton richard, Jered Weaver, Luis Perdomo, Trevor Cahil

OKC lineup (no particular order): Murphy, Davis, Calhoun, Talyor, Segedin, Bellinger, Verdugo, Thompson
SDP lineup: Myers, Solarte, Schimpf, Aybar, Hedges, Margot, Jankowski, Renfroe

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ego symphonic posted:

I think the team with Daniel Murphy, Chris Davis and Kole Calhoun would probably win more baseball games.
People often forget the Dodgers have stashed 2016 MVP-runner-up Daniel Murphy in AAA this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bellinger, Verdugo, and Calhoun are top-100 prospects (with Bellinger being top-10). Thompson has a 115 wRC+ in 400 MLB PA and will probably spend most of this year in LA. Taylor and Segedin are MLB bench guys/depth, will spend the year going up and down. Murphy and Davis are org filler.

Urias, presumably everyone knows by now. The rest of the OKC rotation I listed are prospects of varying quality, with Stewart being the most MLB ready of the back 4.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 31, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

My gambling style is high risk high reward
so how much did you make betting Trump on PredictIt last fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Or he turned to poo poo when he went from the 2015 Dodgers league leading defense and pitcher friendly Dodger Stadium to the 2016 D-backs garbage defense and hitter friendly Chase Field.
well yes, but also he's lost velocity, the quality of his stuff has degraded. The Dodgers were pretty fortunate with how that deal worked out in the end

Grittybeard posted:

Zack's a weird an awesome dude
He'll always be one of my favorite players

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread