Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I hope Michael Brantley is able to play this year. If he's nearly as good as 2014-15 then the Indians lineup looks to be exceptional.

I think they either need him to return to form or have Zimmer be ready now if Cleveland wants to go back to the WS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has Bartolo ever won a WS?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well I hope he performs well enough for a deadline deal. Ideally for myself, he'd end up back in Cleveland and he'd help us win. That would rule.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bartolo is literally one of my favorite yankees of all time and he pitched 160 innings of yankee baseball.

I love him for a few reasons

-Trading him (and Tim Drew) to the 'Spos netted Cleveland an incredible haul: Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Lee Stevens and Brandon Phillips. If only we could have gotten something good for Phillips when we sent him to Cincy, it might have been the best trade in franchise history. It might be anyways. Still pretty amazing either way, though. Plus he pitched pretty well for Cleveland while he was here: 75-45, 3.92 ERA. And that was before he learned to have better control.

-He's a true character. Sports needs characters to be interesting.

-The most hapless hitting pitcher ever, sans that bomb he hit last year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think Lee Stevens was supposed to be the centerpiece of that deal

lol

Pretty sure you're right. Thank goodness Sizemore and Lee were so good for a few years there. Stevens hit like caca as a member of the Tribe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That just makes me think Maddux could have hung on if he'd wanted to as a middle reliever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

It's been deleted, got a "Sorry, that page doesn't exist!" message

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

will_colorado posted:

Oh, well it was an ESPN NY tweet about the Yankees signing Chris Carter but with a photo of Nolan Arenado..

Talk about wishful thinking

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not that Cleveland fans would have been any nicer to him, but man I wish we'd signed Dex, they need a leadoff guy. Sanatna ain't cuttin' it and Kipnis is better suited in the #2 spot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tadashi posted:

Santana walks 100 times per year and is a top 25 guy in baseball for OBP. He's a great lead-off hitter, speed aside (he was actually their best hitter last year among every day players).

What they really needed Fowler for was playing CF since Naquin is not good at it.

I agree about the CF aspect but I feel like Santana doesn't make enough contact, plus the lack of speed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ichiro has gotta be amongst the all time coolest actual great players, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some dickhead will do it by saying he was always a slap hitter and therefore, nothing special. Because people are loving idiots, you see.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Of course it is! Best Swing Of His Life.

In fairness players changing their swing DOES make a difference sometimes, whereas Best Shape of Their Life rarely seems to matter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

The ideal swing mindset is just to step up to the plate and imitate Gary Sheffield as closely as possible.

This is my strategy for beer league softball so I don't know how well it works in MLB but I figure there has to be some carryover.

1) Are you hitting .300?
2) Do you believe in dinosaurs?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I also think part of the difference is that you see a LOT more ads with NBA players in them hawking various things than MLB guys. I'm sure there are MLB endorsements, but you mostly see them in baseball rags or during baseball games. If you're not already a fan, you're probably not aware.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Jays TV announcers are quite good, although I'm sad they fired Barry Davis.

I'm not even a Jays fan but Buck Martinez should be considered an all-time great. It's like watching baseball with a likable uncle who actually knows what he's talking about (most of the time).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It was such a shame that he had to so perfectly announce such a lovely team for so many years.

One of the nice things about watching the WS in Canada was we got the feed where Buck did colour. It was a beautiful thing, if only my guys would have finished what they started.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

On the other hand, after listening to Buck all year, having the TNT or whatever announcers imposed for the Jays' ALDS and ALCS was like having someone take a piss in my ear.

I don't doubt that. Only when nationally televised games recognize Buck's announcing supremacy will baseball be whole. gently caress a Joe Buck.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jose Fernandez was amazed at the concept of free refills and a buffet

Livan Hernandez ate McDonalds every day after signing with the Marlins

This reminds me of a story from SI about a Japanese pitcher (I thought it was Mac Suzuki but he supposedly learned English in his teens) when he came over to the U.S. During Spring Training, he went to a McDonald's and went up to the counter, and the cashier kept asking "Would you like a Big Mac?" and he kept nodding and answering "Hai!" before a teammate noticed what was going on and helped him figure out how to pay and all that. He ended up ordering something like 7 Big macs and finishing 5 of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want Trevor Bauer to either get his poo poo together or be traded for a useful asset. Failing that, I want Zimmer or Meija to make the leap to everyday play

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Moises Alou is to be believed, that piss may have made Chipper a better hitter. So you're welcome, Larry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Baltimore still do crab cakes? I remember reading about that way back in '95.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He had one not so great injury season and a bunch of fantastic ones. Dude's a .313 career hitter. Anybody who says he is bad is a loving goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I MEAN HE'S GREAT AT HITTING AND FIELDING AND GETTING ON BASE BUT DOES HE HAVE THE WILL TO WIN????

He's no David Eckstein I tell ya

• Locked thread