Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/839198709875273729

V: Jake Arrieta is a fuckwad, and I take back every nice thing I ever said about his beautiful thighs after the Body Issue.

lol what a bitch. He earned by default by taking your lovely pitch for a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

Throwing at a young player and risking breaking his ribs/arm/hand/whatever just because you're not good enough to keep the ball in the yard is not OK whether people have been doing it for years or not, hth

This.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

in Texas, castle doctrine comes into play here and the pitcher is within his rights to shoot the trespasser with his constitutionally protected sidearm

Cue ESPN headlines about how shooting the guy just proves the pitcher is intense and a competitor and it's okay because he leaves it all between the lines.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Meanwhile, Thor likes batflips.

quote:

“And in terms of [Bryce] Harper saying he wants to make baseball more fun again, in terms of more emotion, the [Jose] Bautista moment, I’m pretty sure the guy — when that happened — had probably blacked out at the moment,” Syndergaard said, referring to the Blue Jays slugger’s legendary bat flip in the 2015 postseason. “Just sheer enjoyment and excitement and just being in the moment. The bat flip, I have no problem with it. I can’t imagine how much emotion is going through him that he probably might not have even realized what he was doing. My big thing is having respect for the game... I wouldn’t say he was disrespecting the game at all,” Syndergaard said. “I see it as he was having fun out there. He was trying as hard as he possibly can to do what he wants for the team. I don’t see that as disrespect at all. I see that as pure emotion.”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't want to sound like a crumbum, but gently caress this Tebow poo poo.

That he's getting so much attention from the media/fans is proof at how absolutely garbage the MLB is at marketing their actual stars. Tim Tebow, minor league scrub, has more name recognition to the casual sports fan than opposing pitcher Rick Porcello, reigning AL Cy Young winner.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean Tebow absolutely has the physical tools to play baseball, he's just completely loving clueless out there. A year or two in the minors could potentially change that though, and even if he never advances to a level beyond major league bench bat, a fourth OF who sells jerseys and fills seats isn't the worst thing in the world from an organizational standpoint.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=1233188783&topic_id=8878538

V: Lindor and Baez up the middle is a pretty good DP combo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tom Gorman posted:

ok i like you for now cubs but you gotta dial this poo poo back

Uggggghhhhhh

In other news the team that hadn't won a WS in 108 years is going to milk the ever loving poo poo out of finally winning one. Buckle up because it's only going to get more insufferable, particularly if the Cubs are really good again this year too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

xbilkis posted:

Screaming that you're doomed after falling behind by a single run in game two of a playoff series is, unironically, Cub.

There must always be a Mr. McGibblets, even as one is banned another regs from the ashes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Still better than Heyward.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Jays pitcher TJ House took a liner to the head just a little bit ago, they aren't finishing the game.

https://twitter.com/tomyoung590/status/840308891527331840

:ohdear:

Pitchers really need to start wearing those weird pitcher helmets, no matter how dorky they look.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

Someone make a realistic Tebow in OOTP and force start him in RF and see what happens.

OOTP 18 will presumable include him as a minor leaguer for the Mets, right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

What would a Tebow rain delay speech even have been like?

"Let us pray", followed by the Cubs losing the game in explosive fashion, Tebow washing out of MLB, and lots of ESPN stories about him trying to break into the NHL.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am Bobson Dugnutt, WS MVP and dark horse RoY candidate for the Cardinals.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SourKraut posted:

Personally I really like "Scott Dourque" too.

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/840955631163047936

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine being the poor reliever who has to now forever live with the fact that they gave up a hit to Tim loving Tebow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You'd think after spending all that time in prison after drunkenly running over an old man, Bush would be a little more careful about hitting people.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

beejay posted:

I always want to dislike Yadier Molina seeing as he's on the Cardinals and kills the Cubs, but he is so drat cool and good.

:sigh::hf::sigh:

CubsWoo posted:

- Montgomery was completely gassed from having to warm up multiple times starting in the 3rd inning and didn't throw a single strike warming up in the 10th either in the bullpen or during his 8 warmup pitches

Maddon really didn't trust anybody but Chapman or Montgomery out of the pen, huh? Guess it makes sense giving Rondon/Strop never fully came back from injury, Grimm was inconsistent, and Wood's arm had fallen off by that point. Not going to complain too much since a) we won, and b) the Indians were infinitely more beat up/injured, but our bullpen was a mess come the postseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing is though that if he'd died in a drunk driving incident, it probably would have been more immediately apparent what happened and how much fault Fernandez had. Because it was a boat crash in the middle of the night where he ran into a jetty with multiple people on board the boat, it was framed as a tragic accident for a decent chunk of time before details started to leak out that Fernandez was incredibly drunk and on cocaine, and even then for a long time it was argued he wasn't driving the boat. It's easier to ignore the details and focus on how well liked he was prior to his death than to walk back months of praise and good feelings because he killed three people - including himself - as a direct result of his idiocy.

e. Also Fernandez was so well liked and respected by his teammates and around baseball that I think even if he'd died as a result of drunk driving, the reaction at least within baseball & particularly the Marlins would not have changed much.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 16, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Just because it's understandable doesn't mean it's right. The incident report is damning but I have no faith that MLB or the Marlins will turn Fernandez into a cautionary tale.

Oh I absolutely agree with you, and I'm of the same mind as Gorman that DUI's are one of those few ethical absolutes: nothing every justifies driving (or boating, in this instance) while drunk, period. I was explaining why MLB isn't going to focus on his stupid decisions as a moral lesson, not trying to say it's okay.

patonthebach posted:

For anyone that knows anything about boating culture, miami, and being out at that time of night. it was very obvious that drugs or alcohol were likely involved. It was even mentioned in this thread while we all were shocked and memoralizing him.

That's a small subset of people though, and the majority of sports media did not frame his death as being the result of drugs or alcohol until weeks after, when bits and pieces of the story started to leak out. Granted, I don't know how much of that is because it happened on a boat and the immediate details of the incident weren't clear, or because Fernandez was so highly regarded in baseball circles that nobody wanted to be the one to bring up that it was probably the result of drugs or alcohol.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

To reiterate: If you're not watching the WBC, you are loving up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

"Hi hits it high. He hits it deep. It. Is. Outta here!" works because Kuiper can change the enthusiasm based on the situation and it makes for build up. It's not the same every time.

Jon Miller's "adios pelota" is charming but that's just because he's your baseball loving great uncle.

Miller also has the best "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiing and a miss!" call in baseball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The true kings of baseball regain their throne.

For about a day, at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

If there's anything the WBC has taught us, it's that American baseball is literally the worst loving baseball on the face of the earth.

lol kinsler you bitch

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

NiceGuy posted:

I would, no lie, vote for Theo Epstein for POTUS

He wouldn't even have to tank the country for picks, Trump already has that covered!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/CSNMooney/status/844977781041590272
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/844978845841162240

V: lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nope, he's making pretty good work of the rest of the Cubs lineup. Arrieta's just good at hitting meatballs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

What ever happened to accusations of him drugging and raping a woman in Chicago last season? Last I heard the woman had a rape kit done but then wasn't cooperating with the police and I can't find any stories more recent than last July.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

achillesforever6 posted:

Or maybe ending Kang's season and loving over the Pirates in the playoffs allowed Kang go down the dark path he has chosen

If nothing else the sports documentary would be interesting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: The Cubs are trying to trade Szczur

V: Saw it coming, still not happy about it. :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kolten Wong is mad about platoons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/846381447736934402

V: Welcome to the Jorge Soler ExperienceTM, Royals.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maddon actually lets Russell steal bags like he's said he wants to, and Addy has himself a 20/20 year. Baez is also a candidate for 20+ steals but I'm not sure if he'll generate enough contact to hit 20 bombs.

Popete posted:

Kyle Hendricks to continue clowning hitters with an upper 80's fastball.

Also this, please don't regress to hard Kyle. :pray:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

To be fair there was about a 0% chance he made the opening day roster barring catastrophic injuries, and it sounds like he asked to move on so he could try to find a club that would let him start in the majors. And if he can't find a club to start with, the Cubs have said they'd happily take him back on a minor league contract for depth. Best of luck, Mune!

Inspector_666 posted:

That's really cool. I like how the A's have really embraced being the Oakland team.

They're soon to be the only team Oakland will have now that the Raiders are jumping ship to Vegas and the Warriors are relocating to SF as soon as their lease is up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

It's the Dodgers pitching staff.

It's not like all of Ryu, Wood, Hill, McCarthy and Kazmir will stay healthy long enough for him to not be up in May

Hell, Kazmir is already dead!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Szczur and La Stella both make the opening roster for the Cubs, Duensing to the DL with back spasms. Also the Cubs returned Caleb Smith to the Yankees, not sure what the plan even was there but w/e.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Votto is on record saying he doesn't want to leave Cincinnati, even if the Reds are going to be bad for awhile and their fans think he's bad at baseball.

He's also got a full no-trade clause in his contract all the way through his age 40 season in 2024. So either the Reds get good without trading him, or they don't. He's not leaving.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/845722622730129409

https://twitter.com/jluckhaupt/status/846365359557021704

https://twitter.com/wickterrell/status/846549178633404417

He's alright I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I wouldn't bet on any catcher still being productive at age 38+
There have been 11 qualified seasons by a catcher aged 38+ of more than 2 bWAR, and 4 of them were Carlton Fisk (including the top 3). The odds are against him, to say the least.

To be fair even if Yadi's production falls of a loving cliff he'd be worth the money to just sit in the dugout calling games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

imo the Cubs should do more things like this that are clever and funny, and less things like "That's Cub" that are unclever and unfunny.

• Locked thread