Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Popete posted:

I took batting practice for the first time since October and now I'm sore. It's definitely spring training!

BSOHL stories, bring em on.

I've lost a lot of weight and I'm ready to play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Mark Reynolds had a career .230 average coming into last year, and had a .282 batting average last year with .310 at home in Colorado.

lol Coors

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Maddux: "Okay... middle-away, hit it over the right field fence."

Bryant: "Okay."

*Meekly fouls away a pitch exactly where Maddux said it would be*

Bryant: "...Do it again."

He's no Will Clark

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Giants are signing every infielder in baseball in an attempt to block Kelby Tomlinson

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/jay_jaffe/status/833035164456468480

This is insane. How do you expect a single person to believe that Dellin Betances is killing the team.

Relief pitchers are ruining baseball so therefore Dylan Bettances is killing the Yankees

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Wow, really? Does the MLBPA care that much about trips to the mound?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

nmfree posted:

Slippery slope, my friend. Today it's trips to the mound, tomorrow it's a salary cap.

That's it! Slippery Mounds!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Also apparently the CBA has language in it that lets the owners implement rule changes without MLBPA approval or input from the second year onward. If you can't stop it from happening anyway, might as well... stall it for now I guess? idk.

This is the mound they wanna die on.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I think the reality is that no one gives a crap about long games if there's poo poo happening, people care about it when a game ends 3-2 or 4-3 and it took over 3 hours to do it.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
MLB was so embarrassed by Ehire Adrianza doing this that they decided to make sure it would never happen again.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Barry Bonds comes up one steal short of The Triple Three in 94 to miss going back-to-back with his 95 season, which would have been crazy considering there was a strike.

He averaged .304/40HR/31SB from 1990 to 2001 but that's not as impressive I'm sure.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 23, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

This was the first thing that went through my mind when it happened

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

postseason success

Citing postseason success is ridiculous, doubly so when that "success" is worse than their regular season numbers.

Although citing a season where he had 80 plate appearances isn't much better.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

alpha_destroy posted:

I want to officially apologize for ridiculing people who said Trout would be as good as Mantle when he was a rookie. I was wrong.

Turns out we undervalued him to just "as good as Mantle"!

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 2, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Pancakes posted:

How do we explain his 2015 season with the Cardinals where he hit .293/.359/.439 with a 117 OPS+ and 3.8 oWAR?

He put all his bad luck into the next season.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
E:^^^ The Giants didn't understand this last year so it will be breaking news

Spoeank posted:

Fun fact he literally never played baseball before last year.

Strange but true.

This theory passes the eye test with regards to his batting

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Is it just "bad" luck on my part or did Matheny hang starters out to dry incessantly last year? I feel like every game I was witness to last year involved someone pitching 100+ pitches then being pulled 3 batters too late?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
N: Eric Gagne just pitched the bottom of the 3rd in the Canada vs Blue Jays game. Twitter says 91-93 Fastball and threw a changeup, slider, and curve.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I just saw the video of Chih-Hao Chang's home run-- Even Taipei is ahead of the MLB in terms of styling their home runs.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bewbies posted:

So it looks like Tebow will get a PA against the reigning Cy Young champion today. heh

I know it's terrible of me but I really want him to launch one just to keep this circus going for a while longer.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Joey Freshwater posted:

I would love to know what he said because you know he was super nice about it

Probably some bible passage about Jesus curing the blind

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
TEBOW TIES GAME

and gets no rbi for it because gidp

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Grittybeard posted:

It's ridiculous and dumb and in theory I guess he's taking playing time away from some actual prospect. But it's still pretty fun to laugh at, I mean celebrity spring training invites have probably had more business being there in past years.

The Mets should field a celebrity team in Spring because minimizing an actual player's exposure to the Mets' training staff is probably for the best

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Trout hit a triple in the Angels' game against the Reds. We now go live to Tebow's reaction...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Switching gears to the WBC: has anyone asked Tebow if he'd play for Team America?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Makes sense; You don't wanna get hit by a stray bullet from some rear end in a top hat shooting up his garage.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's no Tebow-mania

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
A Tebowian performance on his part

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Pathetic. On May 5, 2012 Josh Hamilton went 5 for 5 with 4 HR and a 2B.

Pff, he didn't even hit for the cycle!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"He's got a hose and he showed it off"

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants have some tough roster decisions to make by Opening Day, more so than in recent years.

Mac Williamson and Jarrett Parker are slugging it out for left field, it's been fun. Mac looks ready for his shot, hitting .324/.378/.559, squaring up the ball all spring. Unfortunately for him, Parker's having a monster ST. Hit his 4th dinger last night, way deep off Hisashi Iwakuma, and he's slashing .333/.455/.694. Mac is 26 and still kind of a prospect; Parker is two years older, so less projectable, but he's done more at the MLB level. He's also out of options. I'm thinking they both make the team, and Parker is the Opening Day LF, but playing time is TBD.

Matt Cain is toast. Still has an OK breaking ball I guess but who cares, he can't throw a fastball by anybody. 8.4 ERA and 25 hits in 15 innings, it's been ugly. Ty Blach was getting good results until the Angels babipped him to death the other day. I'm not a huge fan, I think he's a 5th starter at best, but unlike Matt Cain he looks like he belongs in the big leagues. Giants need to DFA Cain and give Blach a shot. If he bombs then call up someone else. I'll be pissed if they give Cain a couple months in the rotation to prove that he's bad. We know that already.

Hwang, the third baseman we signed out of the KBO, might just make the team. He's hitting .321 with 3 HR and getting good reviews from the coaching staff. He's probably the favorite to beat out Kelby Tomlinson, Aaron Hill, Jimmy Rollins, and a cast of thousands for the last infield spot. This is tough because Kelby is easily the best defender of the bunch, and it's nice to have a slick fielding SS/2B on the bench. If Hwang gets it then the backup shortstop is... Eduardo Nunez? Who looked shaky there last year.

You forgot to mention the Giants two best hitters right now are Tim Federowicz and Conor Gillaspie

E: This is important for perspective, imo

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ammat The Ankh posted:

But was there any doubt he'd be fired before the end of the season?

Also :rip:

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/844226014209236992

Man, Bochy really doesn't want to use Will Smith!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

Sorry Jarrett Parker, you had a nice run in LF.

I think they've made a greater attempt to hold onto Parker than Bonds. :v:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jose Fernandez was amazed at the concept of free refills

He was only familiar with the first one being free

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Maybe he was looking for something off-speed

Like an underhand pitch

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Pussy Boss posted:

How about that Reds rotation though. Opening Day starter Scott Feldman. Two prospects with zero MLB innings pitched. 40-year-old Bronson Arroyo coming back from TJS.

Don't laugh too much, the Giants will end up getting one of them when Matt Cain literally gets set on fire.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I remember reading this thread before registering, back when I wasn't jaded and broken, and life filled the forums.

Time to die

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bewbies posted:

Something about that is very Trump like to me

:sad: except METS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

Barry Bonds retired and took competent left field play with him

https://twitter.com/NBCSGiants/status/848638986306191360

Is the combined WAR of that list even positive? Yeesh

Also I'd give Bonds the job again in a heartbeat. He can't be worse than when he last played left field.

• Locked thread