Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So what's with the split squad games, Jays had 2 games on Sunday. Is that just a camp thing?

Also it's stupid that the league won't let Martin play in the WBC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, half the team goes to one game and half the team goes to another. That way the coaches can see more prospects and invitees in action during spring training. And you get to see dingers by minor league guys you've never heard of!

Fair, heard mets had this tea bow prospect that can foot balls or something, not sure how that's relevant to baseball tho

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Omne posted:

My wife is letting me convert the bonus room to a bit of a man cave, and I want to watch baseball there. For those of you who use the MLB.TV apps, what are your thoughts on it? Any devices in particular that are better, or does it not matter between Apple TV/Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku?

I have watched it on my browser and on my iPhone 6s. 6s has better frame rate but don't know if that can be cast properly to a TV and keep the frame rate or not.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Honestly the Jays have been doing a great job of highlighting the personalities for the last couple years, which is a big part of why Toronto fans have bought in so much. Osuna is not the most dynamic of guys but the fans love him.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

God I hated the loving Price deal when it was signed and I hate it even more now. Thank christ we finally blew our prospect load on another frontline pitcher in Sale or we'd be turbofucked right out of the gate. And truth be told it's not looking rosy after Sale and Porcello anyway.

I was so happy the Jays didn't blow their brains out to keep him

More so now

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Sad to see a Canadian player going out of the game, regardless of whether he was any good or not

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

He was good enough to be the centerpiece of the Donaldson trade!

Yeah he's not a terrible player but his body is falling apart

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Good Dog posted:

That Donaldson trade was so bad at first and has gotten worse over time.

Angels are like 7-0 in spring training with a ton of 1 run wins, setting up for an 8-20 start in April like they usually do.

+11 run differential with several walkoffs

But moneyball guys

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Yeah I mean Russell Martin def wasn't hurt for most of 2016 and he's tough and look how that worked out for him

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martiru01-field.shtml

(See advanced fielding - c baserunning)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I was reading that the other way, as in once Rizzo gets hit half the Cubs fans here will be out for blood.

Is it possible to throw a 20mph ball that makes it to the plate? I guess it probably is, but I kind of imagine little leaguers throwing at 30-40 or so.

7-8 year olds are expected to be able to hit 45mph pitches off a 42 foot mound

YeahTubaMike posted:

Nowadays, I'd love to see a 20-mph Eephus pitch or some wacky poo poo.

Dickey was throwing 65mph Eephuses near the end of last season

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Some sources were saying the ball went 30 feet in the air after hitting his head :gonk:
The human body is really amazing sometimes. Get drilled in the head with a projectile going amazing speeds and come out of it relatively unharmed (not saying this is the case here, extent of the recovery is unknown, but it has happened before). Twist your knee or back slightly in the wrong way and be out for months.

I had a line drive hit the brim of my hat so directly that it split the brim and left me a goose egg from the indirect shock through the brim for several days, another guy in my league had to have his jaw wired shut for 6 weeks, so it can vary pretty widely

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/840717362638835712

<3 ilu jose looking forward to your career year

I would like nothing more than for him to be great but I am going to be deeply surprised if he is.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Walrus posted:

spring training stats mean nothing but he's having a superlative spring training. what does mean something is how locked in he looks. check out any single PA from this spring, he sees the ball every pitch pretty much. knock on wood but predicting 35+ hr

gently caress you for jinxing it

Also how do you factor in the month he's hurt and the two months he plays hurt

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Well, this is something

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/bautista-throws-mercado-controversial-sends-game-extras/

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

I mean, that might be me. I feel like he's probably the last dude in baseball who gets to flip bats now.

Nah he just needs to calmly stand on second while every one of the Jays punch him in the face

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

See post / name combo

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Jays TV announcers are quite good, although I'm sad they fired Barry Davis.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I liked Zaun better when he was a catcher and not a cartoon

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

Buck Martinez's voice is the platonic ideal of baseball announcing

It was such a shame that he had to so perfectly announce such a lovely team for so many years.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

On the other hand, after listening to Buck all year, having the TNT or whatever announcers imposed for the Jays' ALDS and ALCS was like having someone take a piss in my ear.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Michael Kay is a terrible baseball announcer and I will go to the grave saying this; he ruined Jeter's 3000th hit and never lets the moment breathe

How do you ruin a 3,000th hit

Only a 7/10 on the bat flip tho

Go Oranje

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Friend, this is how you ruin a 3000th hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPazONtQ080

That seemed

Mostly ok?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

tinstaach posted:

And I was just listening to City and Colour today :smith:

:smith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

What I like about this is that you could swap out Javier Baez with Kevin Pillar and the post would still be accurate.

Suppoooosssedly, Pillar has improved this, at least in spring training this year. I'm not holding my breath.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Walrus posted:

breaks my heart to see eddie in the racist hat there. also according to his DL they're putting him up in a locker room or something? shameful organisation.

my hopes for the jays this year are:

1. pillar offensive breakout season
2. a healthy rotation all season
3. offense between 2015/2016 levels while maintaining last years pitching quality

and a world series.

Hear hear

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

how is Tebow still in MLB camp the season starts next week

Because the mets like money and people keep giving it to them as long as they throw him on the field.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Has sanchez thrown a good outing yet this spring? Another stinker laat night

ITS TOTALLY FINE GUYS IT WAS A BLISTER

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Drew Hutchison's last three starts: 11.2 IP, 27 H, 21 ER, and a total spring ERA of 10.02.

Great job, Neil Huntington you loving dipshit.

I was so glad when the Jays got rid of him

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Stro looks pretty great so far in pre-season (and WBC)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

It has only just now occurred to me -- now that the thread is basically over -- to ask what the "C" in "C/V" stands for.

Same

patonthebach posted:

You gotta figure both Tulo and Travis will spend time together on the DL.

Prob Donaldson too, nevertheless starting the season with goins over upton seems a mistake

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

shadok posted:

Donaldson doesn't do DL. Any injury less severe than actually having his legs severed from his torso, he'll just walk it off.

Yeah and this is why his performance suffered at various times last season. I'd honestly rather he accept that he's hurt every once in a while and let it recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

So upton's not just not on the roster, he's been released by the Jays

Also Osuna on 10-day DL

gently caress

And I guess there's probably a regular season n/v thread somewhere now?

• Locked thread