Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I have but one thing to say to this.

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/831610023147089922

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

gently caress.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Man remember when Johan Santana murdered his arm to deliver a no-hitter to the Mets and then basically never pitched again.

I remember being annoyed because Beltran totally did get a hit, but it left the Padres as the only franchise without a no-hitter, which is funnier.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chexoid posted:

I would advise against imagining the most terrifying hypotheticals at least until Spring Training is over.

Too late. :sigh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

DeepDickPizza posted:

Since I posted that like five minutes ago, Fowler tweeted this.
https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/833393294268731392

Haha. The racists are gonna run him out of town by year 3.

See, his Twitter and general adorableness have me okay with the overpay for his later years. Then again, the only Cardinals jersey I wear is Curt Flood's because Curt Flood was awesome. I may be a bit of an oddity among Cardinals fans.

PS: Everyone should read "A Well-Paid Slave".

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: The Cardinals' mystery excursion was an escape room day.
http://mlb.com/news/article/216859728/cardinals-visit-escape-room/

V: It would be Waino's idea, wouldn't it?

In other news, I had a fever dream last night that Dexter Fowler and I became friends because he was inexplicably curious about Bankruptcy. Best fever dream ever.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Ballsy choice given what happened to Ozzie in Springfield

If one of the rooms wasn't Mystery Spot themed it represents a severe failure.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I'd forgotten about this and was expecting "Even Hitler had a Girlfriend"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I've gone to the home opener 3 of the last 4 years, I'm not gonna make it this year.

Looking at ticket prices, looks like I'll be watching a lot baseball on MLB.tv this year!

Were you at the pisscups game?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mustached Demon posted:

Rewatch G7. That Cubs/Cleveland game was allowed to go into extras.

There's absolutely no shame in this. I still re-watch 2011 G6.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

What does that "no markers on the field for reference to fielders" thing mean?

Wasn't there some team, I want to say the Royals, that was marking different fielder alignments with paint in the outfield last year?

E: Dodgers with a laser pointer.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Cardinals adorable sometimes

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...aign=user-share

V: Waino. :allears:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CubsWoo posted:

I looked up the statutes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of alcohol/DUI provision in the drug or conduct policy and that's going to get a ton of scrutiny if MLB is fine giving out 30+ game suspensions for domestic violence allegations (whether or not they end in arrests or convictions) but then have no league punishments for multiple DUI convictions.

Or that Alex Reyes (:rip:) got 50 for pot as a minor leaguer. Good priorities, baseball.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Agreed. Now endorse Curt Flood for the Hall, Bud.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

BasicFunk posted:

I believe he's still shook from taking that pitch to the jaw.

How do we explain his 2015 season with the Cardinals where he hit .293/.359/.439 with a 117 OPS+ and 3.8 oWAR?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

The more overt racism of Cardinals fans has a more positive effect than the pernicious, subtle racism of Cubs fans

Dexter Fowler gonna be MVP

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Really surprised Tatis isn't on that list. 2 grand slams in one inning seems less likely to be repeated than a 20-pitch AB.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

How quickly people forget to credit the equally remarkable feat from Chan Ho Park - the only pitcher to give up 2 grand slams in the same inning to the same batter.

Hell, now that I think about it, that record is maybe less likely to be broken. I have no idea.

If you don't think Matheny would leave a pitcher on the mound to keep getting shelled after giving up a grand slam, you didn't learn from the saga of Mike Mayers.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/st-louis-cardinals-mike-mayers-debut-mlb-history-worst-debut-ever-072516

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Unsure about our lord and savior's hitting abilities, but I'm reasonably certain he wouldn't get doubled off of 1st.

I'm almost certain Christians believe Jesus was a closer, and how often are they even on base?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

In other news the team that hadn't won a WS in 108 years is going to milk the ever loving poo poo out of finally winning one. Buckle up because it's only going to get more insufferable, particularly if the Cubs are really good again this year too.

In a way I should be grateful for our orange hate monster in the White House. I only have a finite amount of hatred to go around and were it not for him, I'd have a lot more aimed at this kind of bullshit from the Cubs.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thoroughly enjoying finally being the powerful team everyone hates for once.

That's Cub.

(That's also Blackhawk)

It fades, dude. Four years ago there were tons of Cards posters here. Now it's just me and Rock the House MD most days.

I can't even pretend to be excited about the Blues.

Don't hate me because I and my hair are beautiful.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

lol if you babies haven't been pissed off at the Blues for your entire lives.

As a Central Illinois native who was born in 83 my teams are the Cardinals, Bears, Bulls and Blues. Is it any wonder that in my adult life baseball is by far my favorite of the major professional sports? Those other franchises have just rained disappointment down on me.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

What a terrible time it must have been being a Bulls fan in the 90s.

Anyways, have the Cardinals decided how they're going to handle Molina/Kelly? I assume Matheny is going to run Yadi out there to start for 150 games.

I assume Yadi for 140 games, Eric Fryer for 10 and Kelly for 10 after callups. Matheny will absolutely run Yadi into the ground. Kelly needs regular AB's and work in game that he won't get at the ML level yet.

And yes, Jordan in the 90's made everything since it worth it, but as an adult the Bulls have not been great.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Still better than Heyward.

What would a Tebow rain delay speech even have been like?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

If you wanna feel like the strongest person in the world toss golfballs to yourself with a metal bat.

NOTE: Do not do this near any houses/cars/people that you value.

I'm reasonably certain you could break my windows from your place like this. If you're doing this, please aim to the east.

In WBC news, Yadi owns and Carlos Beltran's bleached facial hair makes it look like he was eating Cheetos out of a feedbag like a horse.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

nmfree posted:

...you mean he wasn't? :confused:

"On the next episode of Fielder's Choice..."

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/840221440507035648

Well that's nice, I guess?

Also they clarified that his hair didn't violate the team rules, but that it was "distraction" in camp, whatever that means.

I realize that this is a bit late, but based on those photos Locks of Love can't actually use his hair unless they've seriously changed their donation standards. I donated twice back in the day and they had very specific guidelines about how the hair had to be donated. Doesn't look like they're complying with length or style requirements. I choose to believe that the Yankees are lying about donating to kids with cancer to give themselves cover for their stupid rule. Because that's Yankee.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Yadi and Waino tandem interview.

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals/post/_/id/2933/adam-wainwright-and-yadier-molina-go-deep-on-the-state-of-the-cardinal-way

V: They are adorable and I'm pretty sure have played with one another more than any other active pitcher/catcher pair in MLB.

quote:

Molina: We have been together since '04 and he’s like my brother. I’m spending time with him every day here at the ballpark and I’ve learned a lot of things from him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Everyone here knows my thoughts and feelings on Yadi. I welcome all of you to the Church of the Stupid Neck Tattoos and Amazing Defense.

E: To all you reluctant Cubs fan converts, go back and watch the David Ross game. Watch Yadi make time at each AB to make sure Ross got an ovation. Yadi is wonderful.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I REALLY want to spend an week in an alternate universe where Molina plays for, not an arch enemy like the Cubs, but someone like the Brewers just to see how the BFIB react to the demonstrative brown guy with the neck tattoos kicking their rear end.

He really is good and I'm glad things like the WBC exist so I can watch him with less jaundiced eyes.

Closest I can think of is Cueto/Phillips from the CIN days, but that's tainted by the 2010 brawl so it's not a great comparison. I think Marte/Cutch are both well-liked or at least not despised in BFiB circles, but they're not as demonstrative as Yadi is.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Real Sports right now is doing some MLB stories tonight. Right now is Matt Bush: A Drunken rear end in a top hat. Later on is Rick Ankiel.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cross posting from the WBC thread, where everything is beautiful and nothing hurts:

N: Puerto Rico's run and enthusiasm on the island is actually impacting the local economy. Beauty shops are running out of hair dye/bleach to mimic the team's blonde trend.

http://nypost.com/2017/03/22/this-baseball-ritual-is-robbing-puerto-rico-of-its-hair-dye/

V: Go Team Yadi!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

I never understood the appeal of things that are effectively impossible to eat at a ball park.

Fat-Midwestern-Fans.jpg

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Care Bear Stairs posted:

I think it's weirder to look down on somebody just because they choose not to drink. That says more about you than him. And that's coming from someone who is no stranger to a fifth or two

People get super offended sometimes when I tell them I don't drink or do any drugs and haven't ever in my life (age 33). They take it as a judgment thing, like I think I'm better than they are. I just qualify it now by making sure they know it's because of the Olympic-level addiction in my family history and my own issues with impulse control. Once it's clear to them that it's a problem with me, not them, most people calm down.

To get back to baseball, Puerto Rico and Team USA are still throwing shade at one another: http://deadspin.com/the-wbc-is-over-but-the-trash-talk-isnt-1793600279

Americans? Being upset at another country for having fun? Why, I never!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

IMB posted:

People that young are just weird. My boss' kid is getting married this weekend (he's 23 or 24) and he almost had a meltdown when his parents told him he needed to have alcohol at the wedding or people would hate it. It's apparently going to be dry. I'm not going.

Well yeah, that's a dick move. Don't push your lifestyle on someone else. No alcohol, caffeine, meat or dessert for me. I still serve drinks, coffee, desserts and meat when I have people over for dinner. That's just manners, plus fried chicken skins or stewed blackberries, gin and bay leaf custard are just fun to make. I assume Kris Bryant doesn't judge his teammates for drinking. If he did I figure John Lackey would have killed him by now.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Interest check: Any sizeable amount of Chicago folks (or those able to get here easily) interested in a goonmeet at a weekend Wrigley game In the bleachers? I'm partial to Cards games but am generally always up for baseball.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

guys, I am excited for the season to start

post one thing you want to happen for your team this year! I want Greg Bird and Aaron Judge to each mash 30 homers and be charming while doing it

Carlos Martinez to finish in the top 3 for the NL Cy Young.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Indians released Wily Mo Pena.

The dream is dead... for now.

When I see you posting in the N/V tread I hope that it's a Yadi extension. Stop toying with my heart. :sigh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

GOOD NEWS!

Cards and Yadi are finalizing an extension right now! :snoop:

edit: 3 years, at least $55m.

YES

I was thinking 3 years, $54M was about fair, I'm fine with a minor overpay if it makes him what will hopefully be a Cardinal for life. Then again, 3 years would only take us to his age 37/38 season, if the WBC is any indicator the man's going to play more years than Bartolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

they don't allow you to have bees in here

I am so mad that Chamberlain wasn't at this game.

"Joba's not on board."

• Locked thread