Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/840717362638835712

<3 ilu jose looking forward to your career year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I would like nothing more than for him to be great but I am going to be deeply surprised if he is.

spring training stats mean nothing but he's having a superlative spring training. what does mean something is how locked in he looks. check out any single PA from this spring, he sees the ball every pitch pretty much. knock on wood but predicting 35+ hr

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
like gently caress a stolen base!! way to go joey

code:
Year	                                AB	R	H	HR	RBI	SB	AVG	OBP	OPS
2017 Spring Training Stats 	           16	4	9	2	6	1	.563	.611	1.674

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

That has to be the hottest 16 ABs of all time right? At that rate he should be easily hitting 80 HRs guaranteed.

something called a boog powell is doing this this ST. and ya def, 80.

code:
Year	                                            AB	R	H	HR	RBI	SB	AVG	OBP	OPS
2017 Spring Training Stats	                   17	7	10	0	3	1	.588	.632	1.33

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lmao sleve

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zigmidge posted:

If you're telling me that he wasn't pent up over it and didn't used that an excuse to lash out then he's an even bigger baby than I was previously implying.

In any case, I just remembered that it was Ventura, not Odor, that blew up over the flip so I'll just drop this topic out of respect for the dead...

It was dyson that had issue with the flip. Then next season someone threw at bautista in retaliation (was that ventura?) and then joey slid hard into second in subsequent retaliation. It was odor that had lots to say to the press about the batflip after the fact though

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

Bautista is an rear end in a top hat, too. We just don't see it because it doesn't get caught on camera so much. I have heard multiple commentators say he is not well liked around baseball.

Don't want to get into the reasons for this cause it's a can of worms but he's well liked by his teammates so that's all that should count.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gonna put my inner fatass to work here and say by looking that's a maple fried chicken with bacon on a couple of fritter/funnel cake things with a jalapeno popper and icing sugar on top

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it's me, I'm the bad person that gets happy when someone in the same division as my team gets injured in the preseason

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
back back back is bad and yet at the same time "up up up and there she goes yes sir she's gone" is great, baseball truly is a game of subtleties

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

R.D. Mangles posted:

If there's anything the WBC has taught us, it's that American baseball is literally the worst loving baseball on the face of the earth.

says the guy who starts marcus stroman lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird to have never so much as tasted alcohol, yeah, anime man

edit: that article is about drinking in the last week, not ever

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 25, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it's just that it's weird that he seems to fetishize it so much it's like "man when we win the world series I'm gonna have a drink!!!" like he's going all the way after prom. But then he chickens out even after having won a world series because for some reason taking a drink would literally change who he is as a person. I do drink sometimes and it seems to have less of a bearing on who I am as a person than this guy who doesnt drink

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 25, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
breaks my heart to see eddie in the racist hat there. also according to his DL they're putting him up in a locker room or something? shameful organisation.

my hopes for the jays this year are:

1. pillar offensive breakout season
2. a healthy rotation all season
3. offense between 2015/2016 levels while maintaining last years pitching quality

and a world series.

edit: oh I needed to pick one, alright make it the offensive breakout season for kp and throw in a gold glove while you're at it

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 27, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm sorry to break your heart but Kevin Pillar is bad at hitting and will continue to be bad at hitting.

I said *hope*! he's having a fantastic ST. But even just the GG would be cool.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

He has no power and can't help but swing at anything near the zone tumbling off the plate into the dirt in the other batters while I yell at him from space.

I mean yeah I agree, it's not going to happen I know it. but his at bats really look good this spring. nice discipline, good sense of the zone. don't actually think I've seen him SO in the game's I've seen. obviously he's never going to be a power hitter but if he can hit opposite to a shift on a somewhat regular basis setting up top of the order that would be such an incredibly key piece in the jays arsenal

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has sanchez thrown a good outing yet this spring? Another stinker laat night

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tadashi posted:

I really enjoy this. But I feel really bad for teams like the Rays who catch the repercussions of this and end up with 69 wins instead of the 80 or so they deserved.

any undeserved loss against the orioles is made up for by an undeserved win against the jays LY :mad:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hey does anyone have a good screenshot of that kid making the face when the ball got grabbed from in front of him during the wbc? would make a good photoshop thread imo

edit: I can't find it anywhere, it's not helping I don't remember what game it was. I don't think it was the jones/machado play

edit: the kid in question kind of looks like the infamous messy face rib kid if that helps

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 28, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
check out the soda commercial mune did just recently it's excellent

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ahaha holy gently caress savage burn on the Reds in this season preview

http://www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-season-preview

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Context is king, it's a bad season for Bryce Harper.

If a top ten draft pick tops out as a 24th/25th roster spot guy does that mean he wasn't a bust because most players never make it to the majors? Hell no.

Smoak was generally considered one of the top five players in the 2008 Major League Baseball draft, but his demands for a high-dollar contract caused several teams to pass on him. The Texas Rangers selected Smoak with the eleventh overall pick,[12] leading USA Today to comment that "getting Smoak at No. 11 may be the best-value pick of the first round."[13]
Smoak was often touted by scouts as one of the best defensive first basemen in the 2008 draft.[14][15] Some scouts compared Smoak to fellow switch hitters Mark Teixeira and Chipper Jones.[16] Baseball America wrote that, as a first baseman, Smoak had "Gold Glove-caliber actions and soft hands", as well as "advanced footwork and instincts at first base", though they wrote that he had merely adequate arm strength.[4] Nonetheless, several scouting reports wrote that Smoak's biggest strength was his ability to hit for both power and average on both sides of the plate.[4][14]

:sigh:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

Those are two really dumb and bizarre predictions but Grant Bisbee is a saint!

Also I don't know why people seem so convinced the Rays won't be in last place in the AL East again.

agreed if you don't 'play to potential' for three years in a row maybe you're just bad

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It seemed like carrera and goins were better clubhouse fits than upton. That plus uptons trade value it kind of nakes sense to me

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sure it does. putting goins on waivers also means losing his versatility down the stretch. upton was a liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Versatility at what? Liability for what?

Goins is an all glove no hit mif, which the Jays have in Barney already, not to mention Petit, Diaz and Berti. Urena is even an option at some point if need be.

Meanwhile Upton hits LHP very well and can play all three OF positions and do so pretty well. Instead the Jays are going to rely on Pearce, who can't throw yet, and Carrera who stinks.

essentially infield versatility, they have barney to cover potential injuries or offdays and... that's it. outfield is less stacked in terms of talent but there's bodies there at least. If upton had brought down his SO % this spring he would have more of a case but he really didn't.

edit: and I think you guys are underselling goins defensive ability. I think he's one of the best in the league in the infield. I'm a goins fan I guess so probably doing some mental gymnastics to have it make sense to me :)

• Locked thread