Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
goddamn middle aged fat maddux dropping backdoor curveballs in without a windeup on the reigning MVP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man I consistently mix up Fowler and Heyward in my head, I'm sorry everbody.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Homer's been dramatically overvaluing himself for like 3 years now. He is a Cool Guy and I like having him on the team but I just have no idea where this idea comes from that he's a 9 figure kind of player.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are "reddit streams" just streams posted on reddit?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is pace of play really an issue for so many fans that we need a play clock, and substitution limits, and college football style overtime rules, and no more September callups, and all these radical rule changes? Are there that many people who would watch baseball, if only the games were ten minutes shorter?

Speaking for my own self, I don't mind a 4 hour game that is exciting as gently caress. What I strongly dislike is when in the 7th inning managers get all into Playing The Percentages and start visiting the mound every 4 pitches and swapping out pitchers every 10 pitches and the game grinds to a suicidal halt and we have to watch a bunch of truck and beer commercials. It reminds me of the NFL...after a touchdown....score TD (commercial) extra point (commercial) kickoff (commercial) or god forbid the last 2 minutes of a sort-of-close basketball game and it just kinda sucks. This might make me a bad fan but I'm ok with that label.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every time you step out of the box it's a strike, every time you step off the rubber it's a ball

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Larry Walker did it during that crazy good 1997 season.

Larry Walker owned.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

But do they help you see a fast-moving ball and hit it precisely? Because just having big muscles doesn't mean you can hit a ball.

hmm interesting

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most non-baseball fans are unaware there are at least two and possibly three greatest-of-all-time candidates currently in or about to enter their prime years. I'd bet Messi/Ronaldo are better known in the US today than Trout which is just un-American.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A bunch of the biggest sports legends of all time ever in America were baseball players, it isn't like there's something fundamental to the game that precludes superstardom. I think it is just a combination of ineffective marketing and hangover from McGwire/Bonds.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
David Prices mechanics look like the videos they show you at baseball camps. Its like a work of art

IF HE ISNT SAFE THEN NO ONE IS SAFE

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jesus loving Christ schilling

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is purely anecdotal/observation and so is subject to all of those types of biases but it seems to me like baseball players suffer from the sign big contract --> fall of cliff scenario than athletes in other American sports.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jason Heyward is basically the worst baseball player in the history of the game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it ok if I like both batflips and pitchers throwing inside?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Is it possible to throw a 20mph ball that makes it to the plate? I guess it probably is, but I kind of imagine little leaguers throwing at 30-40 or so.

The internet's got you covered, and, no.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it looks like Tebow will get a PA against the reigning Cy Young champion today. heh

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Just for curiosity's sake, how do all y'all feel about hockey fights?

enthusiastic supporter as both a viewer and former relatively frequent participant

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure there were times Babe Ruth struck out looking on 4 pitches.

edit - I called this outcome down to the pitch count with my coworkers and I got a free lunch as a result, god bless

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 8, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This really should illustrate to absolutely everybody just how poor Major League Baseball is at marketing its marquee players. when far more Americans know the name of one of the worst quarterbacks in league history vice one of the best hitters in league history you've got a significant problem

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
some hotshot marketing intern from northwestern fist pumped and then high fived himself when he wrote that copy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently Tebow has a legit stalker and I am not referring to ESPN.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone make a realistic Tebow in OOTP and force start him in RF and see what happens.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought I'd share with baseball thread that I'm moving back to Kansas City and so will now be able to go to more than one Royals game per year (two last year) and this makes me happier than I'd like to admit. How are Mizzou sports doing, good, right?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, a German lower league soccer team was literally run by the internet, and it has done brilliantly.

Baseball is so much better suited to this sort of thing and it needs to happen, immediately.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I read that and I loved it and everyone here should read it but it was still baseball autocracy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bryce Harper BSOHL alert

That said I really hope that dude turns it around because he's fun as hell to watch and I want him and Trout to have a long possibly angry rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Something about that is very Trump like to me

• Locked thread