Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Anyone know if mlb.tv subscribers will get access to World Baseball Classic broadcasts?

Yes, they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am so fully ready for the Yankees fanbase to completely lose their poo poo that every rookie isn't Mike Trout.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kensei posted:

Double posting because I love this:

One of my favorite pieces of prose.

Also :rip:
https://twitter.com/rotoworld/status/831561974584639488

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

the first day. On the first loving day.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/831574031778344961

Real talk: This loving sucks, watching him in the Futures game was amazing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In non-depressing injury news:

https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/831582974571261952

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
checkmate:
https://twitter.com/benbadler/status/753266866966102016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
EDIT: Actually no, that gets saved for Opening Day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I'm still waiting for the Yankees to drop their facial hair policy. Let the players do whatever with their hair, I say

They should allow beards on a case by case basis. For example: Carlos Beltran would get an exemption, Andrew Miller would not.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ScottyJSno posted:

I am writing the NPB previews and I got a question for yous....

When I give the position player "/" line is there any other stats you think might be important

What would be a Pitcher's "/" line? I got ERA / WHIP / K/BB and I am going to add K/9. Anything else that I am forgetting?

FIP for pitchers and wRC+ if it's available for batters?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:rip: confirmed

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/831871542615298048

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

Those aren't usually on the NPB stats but if anyone finds a site that creates them, I'd love to see it.

That's what I figured. Since you need to calculate league avg constants for them I assume it would be pretty hard to generate them on the fly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would probably be a little more outraged about the Marlins sale and ambassador thing if the sale price seemed to be more on the "sweetheart" level than on the "overvalued" one.

(Also ambassadorships to western Europe have been totally just friend assignments since forever, all those people have to do is dress nice and show up at parties.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Maddux: "Okay... middle-away, hit it over the right field fence."

Bryant: "Okay."

*Meekly fouls away a pitch exactly where Maddux said it would be*

Bryant: "...Do it again."

That was my favorite part.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

Or birds shoulder isn't where they expect (signs point to this not being true). Also Carter is really cheap and probably tradable if he mashes.

Carter was just too cheap to pass up, I think. I would imagine they wouldn't have bothered with Holliday if they had known the slugger market was going to completely bottom out like this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:siren: BSOHL alert :siren:

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/832299611041652738

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

I'd like to see dueling Ryu-Maeda ramen commercials

meanwhile, Ryu's fastball was last seen at 84-86 mph :smith:

I assume the Angels are blowing up the phone about him?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like that second hop is gonna get the hammer dropped on him this year.

Also how in the gently caress is it physically possible to throw in the high 90s like that.

(I'm so loving happy that nothing became of the rumors about him and the Yankees.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

It's too late for me to actually do the math but considering he's effectively throwing from 57-58 feet from the plate after that jump, the perceived velocity on those pitches has to be bonkers. Especially since he's still somehow hitting the low 90's.

It adds 3.something mph of effective velocity.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Look at that hustle, too!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Sure, for one inning

For me the most old man thing Goose does is rail about the audacity of trying to prevent young pitchers from blowing out their arms

Am I imagining things or is there a smug Goose smilie that I can't seem to find?

:bahgawd:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Berzerker posted:

Back in elementary school I was catching a softball game and a kid came up to bat and said "Watch this, I'm gonna nail it" and proceed to hit a huge line drive directly into our 65+ year old teacher's neck. She had to go to the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbZrOPaZIs
Troy Tulowitzski is very cool. Baseball Dad

I was really hoping the final line was going to be "That kid was Tulo."

At summer camp I once hit a screaming line drive to third base that hit the girl playing there in the face, broke her glasses and knocked her unconscious. As I jogged to first I felt bad but was also pissed because it was a loving beautiful liner.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The entire Levine quote isn't quite as inflammatory as the juicy bits,

quote:

"Dellin Betances is a great, great setup man for the New York Yankees and the New York Yankees rewarded him as such by making him the highest-paid, first-time-eligible elite setup man in the history of baseball arbitration,’’ Levine said. “Dellin deserves that. What his agents did was make him a victim of an attempt to change the marketplace in baseball that has been well established for 40 years. I feel bad for Dellin that he was used that way. Anyone who knows the process knows the history is very well established that $5 million goes to elite closers, people who pitch the ninth inning and have a lot of saves. Dellin didn’t have that record. The agent took him to a case in effect like me saying, ‘I am not the president of the Yankees, I’m an astronaut. I am not an astronaut, and Dellin Betances isn’t a closer.’ This was an attempt to use a player to change the market."

but he's still a loving asshit because why say anything? You won the hearing, move on. It also clearly had an effect on Dellin:

quote:

"You look at it a little differently now. I think (free agency) will be a little easier when the time comes."

Furthermore, today is a year to the loving day from Lonn Trost saying his poo poo about poors in the premium seats.

Happy Yankees Executives Are loving Assholes Day, everybody.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

:justpost:

Or wait until the WBC/more Spring Training battles are decided

Part of me says "Wait until the rosters look more finalized" but part of me absolutely wants to a Yankees one that has 8 or 9 potential starting pitchers on it.

saintonan posted:

When they ban people for using VPNs they ban the entire account, so you saw a bunch of people that didn't do anything themselves get their account banned. Just make sure none of the people you're sharing with do dumb things to get around the even dumber blackout rules and you'll be fine.

I wonder how they catch the VPN users though, because I know somebody who uses a VPN to watch pretty much every home game for their team and nothing's happened to them.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 20, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

so if streams will be readily available, what's the downside other than quality? annoying ads, yea, but adblocker does well. mlb was always like 90s behind too which pissed me off. i'm also not sure if i can go through another season of listening to the SAME ROTATION OF COMMERCIALS THAT APPEAR 18 TIMES PER GAME, 162 GAMES PER YEAR AAAAGGGGHHBBHBBHGVC

You're trusting your ad blocker to hold back the tide of malicious poo poo that any streaming site is likely firing at you out of a digital howitzer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How can he refuse a bullpen assignment? Does his contract specifically stipulate a starting role?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

i've been running reddit streams consistently for years without any hints of breaches. are these sites really throwing that much malware out?

I guess it depends which one you end up with. The Youtube links are fine and I vastly prefer those, but there are definitely some hinky ones that get linked.

It's a general internet issue, not something specific to sports streams or the Reddit threads or anything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

The moron Steinbrenner kids never fire anyone or enforce any accountability but Levine should really be fired for this. (He won't be)

I doubt Levine did that without the OK from above. Cashman should go flip his loving desk over and beat him within an inch of his life though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

He's above Cashman. Hal and Hank have to deal with it. (They won't)

Oh I know, which is why I think Hank and Hal at best don't give a gently caress about what he said or at worst told him to say it. But he's only hurting Cashman when he does it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I mean that's a lovely place for the PA to finally put their foot down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The IBB change is dumb because it doesn't help anything. It's a change for the sake of making one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

A coworker's friend is starting a vintage baseball team (apparently Wisconsin has a pretty active vintage league) and I'm thinking of joining. It sounds pretty fun. Have any of you done something like that? They play with late-1800s period equipment and uniforms so I'm guessing I'll have to bat Brooks Conrad style to keep my hands from getting torn up.

All you need to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSZGXmuvIo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I'm not sure if it would really work, but Olney has an interesting idea of rewarding players who pick up their pace instead of implementing harsh rule changes:

Yeah I don't much care for this idea, you're paying out bonuses for following the rules, which seems like a bad precedent.

MLB should probably actually enforce fines for pace of play stuff before they worry about bonuses.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

The least intrusive way to enforce pace of play rules is to do so very stringently at the minor league level and thus ingrain habits as players develop.

This is the method I really support.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

Realistically someone's going to straight-up forget he's on the ballot and deny him 100%. That happened to Seaver and Griffey.

Plus somebody will send in a blank ballot because something something integrity.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

I really like those hats

I really, really wish they would make the ST logos on wool hats, I hate the mesh material.

EDIT: Oh gently caress Miller is adding a changeup. Beware AL.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/834383403990532096

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/834850346711265280

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bird in a Blender posted:

I beat you to it RD.

:golfclap:

What a wonderful photo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
First not-real-but-also-kind-of-real baseball of the year starts in under half an hour :dong:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Reds' starting pitcher is literally named "Rookie"

He was part of the Chapman trade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
...but it's an odd-year?