Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Let's start 2017 off right with some pitchface.

It's no Zombie Jeff Karstens, but we're just getting started here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/215994746/padres-bethancourt-eyes-pitcher-catcher-role/

Padres catcher Christian Bethancourt is living every bench player's dream. He pitched in a couple blowouts last year, and showed enough that the Padres want him to keep doing it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Wow that kind of sucks. RIP Tal's Hill. It was pretty unsafe, but led to some spectacular catches as well.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Perceived velocity is cool because, people always say such and such pitcher has a deceptive fastball, his fastball gets on you quick, etc., and now there's numbers and stuff to prove it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Free streams are great until they freeze at a key moment and it takes you 5 minutes to load another one

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/834055863572844549

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

But enough about Tim Lincecum

I dunno what you're talking about, Tim Lincecum retired in 2012 and spends his days skateboarding around Seattle smoking that dank Pac-NW weed. He chose to go out on top and I respect that.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is pace of play really an issue for so many fans that we need a play clock, and substitution limits, and college football style overtime rules, and no more September callups, and all these radical rule changes? Are there that many people who would watch baseball, if only the games were ten minutes shorter?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think baseball's pretty good already. hell, I wish I could watch some right now

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

One day
he will play
for the Tampa
Bay Rays

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/835558228046057474

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

this one imo

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Watching the Mets game yesterday, I was shocked to see that David Wright is still alive and playing baseball.

Wellllllp:
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/836581112839294977

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ayers/98527888/

Two-minute time limit on instant replay. Starting this season, if I'm reading the article right.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Baseball in general is not a great outlet for showcasing how good of an athlete someone is. I mean, if you watch regularly, you'd know, but the opportunities to do something freakishly athletic come way less frequently than in football or basketball.

That's true, and especially for outfielders. Brandon Crawford makes a highlight reel play every night but OF don't get as many chances to get on Sportscenter.

If Trout could do this every day no one would be calling him a boring player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLmBwFRKkjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYi34HnHmc

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol has a persons entire career been effectively ended by a rule change before? The odds of this fringe reliever dude relearning his delivery from scratch seems extremely low.

Eddie Gaedel? :cheeky:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Statcast is going to have "hit probability" and "catch probability" based on historical launch angle/exit velocity data.

Sounds like a less sloppy way of measuring luck than BABIP. Cool.

This is really cool. Until now, only raw statcast data has been publicly available. Like, you can look at the exit velocity leaderboard and see that so-and-so hits the ball really hard. But now we're getting stats derived from the raw numbers. Soon we could have stats like expected batting average (xBA), telling you what a hitter's AVG should've been, based on where and how hard he hit the ball. And xOBA, and xERA for pitchers. And defense stats that don't rely on human observers, like UZR and DRS do, and are way more precise.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I had the Nats game on at lunch and man, Turner is awesome. Seems like he can pretty much steal at will? He might not be quite as fast as Billy Hamilton, but it takes him like one step to go from zero to top speed.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dammit Didi, you're supposed to cover 2nd on that play, what the hell happened?

Sorry skip, it's... it's that hair. It's so lustrous. What kind of shampoo d'you think he uses?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tadashi posted:

Remember when some of us thought the Rockies were the dark horse to make a wild card game? Those were some times...

I don't think losing their 4th or 5th best starter and a couple months of Ian Desmond changes that much, TBH. I still have Colorado as the 3rd best team in the West. If Gray and/or Hoffman take a step forward I think they're right there with the Mets and Cards for a WC spot.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tadashi posted:

Tom Murphy broke his forearm. It's only going to keep him out 4-6 weeks but you have to worry how arm injuries can linger with hitters.

Yikes, hadn't heard that. Still, they were probably going to platoon him and Wolters anyway. And I just saw that the Rox expect Desmond back in ~6 weeks too.

I see a lot of people hating on the Desmond signing because there were cheaper first basemen available. That misses the point though, he gives them flexibility, like he could switch to OF if CarGo walks or is traded.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants have some tough roster decisions to make by Opening Day, more so than in recent years.

Mac Williamson and Jarrett Parker are slugging it out for left field, it's been fun. Mac looks ready for his shot, hitting .324/.378/.559, squaring up the ball all spring. Unfortunately for him, Parker's having a monster ST. Hit his 4th dinger last night, way deep off Hisashi Iwakuma, and he's slashing .333/.455/.694. Mac is 26 and still kind of a prospect; Parker is two years older, so less projectable, but he's done more at the MLB level. He's also out of options. I'm thinking they both make the team, and Parker is the Opening Day LF, but playing time is TBD.

Matt Cain is toast. Still has an OK breaking ball I guess but who cares, he can't throw a fastball by anybody. 8.4 ERA and 25 hits in 15 innings, it's been ugly. Ty Blach was getting good results until the Angels babipped him to death the other day. I'm not a huge fan, I think he's a 5th starter at best, but unlike Matt Cain he looks like he belongs in the big leagues. Giants need to DFA Cain and give Blach a shot. If he bombs then call up someone else. I'll be pissed if they give Cain a couple months in the rotation to prove that he's bad. We know that already.

Hwang, the third baseman we signed out of the KBO, might just make the team. He's hitting .321 with 3 HR and getting good reviews from the coaching staff. He's probably the favorite to beat out Kelby Tomlinson, Aaron Hill, Jimmy Rollins, and a cast of thousands for the last infield spot. This is tough because Kelby is easily the best defender of the bunch, and it's nice to have a slick fielding SS/2B on the bench. If Hwang gets it then the backup shortstop is... Eduardo Nunez? Who looked shaky there last year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tadashi posted:

Does Bonds count as a prodigal son since he got fired and has taken one hell of a beating in the press since he played his last season in SF?

Barry did some spring training stuff for the Giants before Loria hired him, and before that he often went to games at AT&T. San Francisco never stopped loving Barry Bonds.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

White Sox extended Tim Anderson for 6 years + 2 options. He had a nice rookie season, although somewhat overshadowed by the incredible wave of shortstop talent that's come along in the last couple years

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

And they wonder why nobody watches loving MLB

Lots of people watch MLB.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Heyman's saying Sandoval won the 3rd base job.

Kung Fu Panda rides again :cool:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is Joey Gallo gonna make the team finally and hit some 500 foot dingers or what

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ESPN the Mag feature on Moncada: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18975183/chicago-white-sox-prospect-yoan-moncada-prepping-major-league-debut He loving loves Twinkies, and ate 85 of them in a week :eyepop:

quote:

Moncada discovered Twinkies at Wal-Mart and started consuming them by the box, sometimes eating more than 10 in a single sitting even as the Red Sox were trying to counsel him on diet and nutrition. When David took Moncada to the dentist in the winter of 2015 -- the first dental visit of Moncada's life -- he had about 15 cavities, David says.

quote:

It took him awhile to understand just how much money he had already earned. David explained that Moncada had just made the equivalent of 656,250 years of work, based on his $4 monthly salary playing for Cienfuegos. Still, when Moncada got his first check, the total was much less than what he'd been expecting, and he came to David in a rage, convinced he'd been robbed. "He didn't really know about the concept of taxes," David says. "I had to print out a pay stub and show him why it was 35 percent less than he thought."

Even at 65 percent, Moncada had money to spend on drones, video games, toys and clothes. He sometimes spent $1,500 or more during nights out, David says. After he purchased the second $200,000 car, Josefa tried to talk some sense into him. "You are being an idiot, just wasting all this money," she told him. "What are you even thinking?"

"Go big or go home," he told her with a smile.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

quote:

President Donald J. Trump may throw out the ceremonial first pitch on Opening Day for the Washington Nationals, POLITICO reports.

According to the report, Trump is in talks with the Nationals about throwing the first pitch. Washington's home opener is Monday against the Miami Marlins.

Trump could also join regional broadcasters in the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network booth after the pitch.

:negative:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There was so much hype when the Marlins opened their new stadium but I haven't heard a drat thing about, uh, SunTrust Park other than the traffic is bad. Is it a cool looking stadium at least?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

How about that Reds rotation though. Opening Day starter Scott Feldman. Two prospects with zero MLB innings pitched. 40-year-old Bronson Arroyo coming back from TJS.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Adalberto Mejia made the Twins rotation. Giants fans get to see what we gave up for Eduardo Nunez

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

That Padres lineup is super young and unproven but might be kind of OK, but that rotation looks like the waiver wire in a 20-team fantasy league.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants roster is just about set. Matt Cain will be the 5th starter, alas. Left field will be a platoon of Jarrett Parker vs RHP and Chris Marrero against lefties. Marrero is a minor league guy who came out of nowhere to make the team. Hit 8 dingers in the Cactus League. Also he's a first baseman... Don't know much about the guy but the Nats drafted him in the first round once upon a time.

They sent Jae-Gyun Hwang to AAA but he'll play some OF in Sactown and could be back soon. Aaron Hill got the last infield spot.

Would not be shocked to see a trade for a LF or SP at the deadline if the guys we have stink. Or Beede called up midseason.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Strongest and weakest divisions in 2017? I'd say the AL East is probably the best in baseball right now. Red Sox are the favorites but I wouldn't be surprised if the O's, Jays or Yankees won that division. Next best is the AL West. Three legit contenders and the Angels will be mediocre, not terrible IMO.

Weakest division would be the AL Central maybe? Not that impressed with anyone besides the Indians.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

It has only just now occurred to me -- now that the thread is basically over -- to ask what the "C" in "C/V" stands for.

I think it stands for "Can we talk about the Aroldis Chapman trade some more"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

The NL West is also pretty strong. You've got the Dodgers who some are projecting to be a better team on paper than the Cubs, the Giants who aren't that far behind and have solidified the bullpen with Melancon, the Diamondbacks who will almost certainly perform better with a full year of Pollock + probable bounce back years from Grenkie and Miller, and the Rockies who are arguably ready to compete aside from their pitching, but something something Coors Field. Let's not talk about the Padres.

It's not just Greinke and Shelby that need to bounce back, it's the whole rotation. Patrick Corbin was a major disappointment coming back from TJS, Archie Bradley looked like a bust and is now in the bullpen, and their other prospect Braden Shipley was also bad and didn't make the team. I dunno if Arizona has the pitching to compete. A lot would have to go right. NL West looks a three-team race to me.

• Locked thread