Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
gently caress yeah its time to :justpost: about the Reigning And Defending World Series Champion Chicago Cubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

N: Doctors have cleared Schwarber to catch

V: Limit him to 30 or fewer games behind the plate and that seems fine.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMvXRA2GI0

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Why is this not an illegal pitch delivery, even with charitable 'drag the toe = still on the rubber' parameters he's clearly taking the foot off the mound and hopping forward

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

Are we doing a Meet the Teams thread again this year?

Probably but last year's thread wasn't until about a week or so before opening day

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Knowing my father in law I'll probably be getting tickets to one of the mid-July Braves home games when the Cubs come to Atlanta as an early birthday present since that'll be the only reasonable chance I'll get to see the Cubs play in person this year.

Last year he got my wife and I tickets for the game where they got absolutely stymied by Bud Norris. We left the second Clayton Richard came out of the pen (and we were right to do so!)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Javier Baez, multi-position defensive magician and sometimes frustrating bottom of the order hitter is something I can probably be ok with for the next five years of team control.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

If you're a Cubs fan who doesn't fall asleep nightly to a auto-repeating playlist of all 11 postseason wins of 2016 maybe you don't deserve to Fly The W™

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

DeepDickPizza posted:

How'd you guys miss this one?

My AA assignment team's pretty obscure, you probably haven't heard of it

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/836930840231829504

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Jason Heyward "New Swing" Spring Training Statistics:

0/8, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K, .000/.111/.000

E: now 0/11 after this afternoon's game

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 2, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jung-Ho Kang received an 8 month sentence in South Korea for his most recent DUI case, but apparently it's a suspended sentence (for two years) and he won't be going to jail unless he breaks the terms of his suspended sentence.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/jung-ho-kang-sentenced-in-dui-case.html

Are there any mandatory MLB penalties/suspensions for drunk driving convictions like they do for domestic violence or is Kang OK to play now?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

What a piece of poo poo. Goddamn. I hope he blows out a knee or something and goes back home, never to be heard from again.

Somewhere in Florida Chris Coghlan feels a jolt of inspiration

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's unclear if he's going to get suspended by MLB over this.

I looked up the statutes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of alcohol/DUI provision in the drug or conduct policy and that's going to get a ton of scrutiny if MLB is fine giving out 30+ game suspensions for domestic violence allegations (whether or not they end in arrests or convictions) but then have no league punishments for multiple DUI convictions.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

TheChaosPath posted:

lol, remember that time the Cubs gave Jason Heyward like 180 million dollars

lol, remember that time the Cubs traded a bunch of dudes to rent Aroldis Chapman

http://i.imgur.com/YxeEaNA.mp4

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kris Bryant gettin' PAID

(relative to his service time)

(but 1.05 million for someone in year 2 of service time is an all-time record)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thoroughly enjoying finally being the powerful team everyone hates for once.

That's Cub.

(That's also Blackhawk)

I expected a "We love the Cubs" in the spirit of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNn3k1KfOrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enO7cIu_hjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocrIq0_Hcwc

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

There Is Always More And It Will Never Die

https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/841680377689313281

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Rizzo took Szczur's bat not because it was lucky, but because it was shorter and lighter and Rizzo was having issues with fatigue using his normal bat.

quote:

Rizzo’s entire postseason had changed in the fifth inning of NLCS Game 4, when he switched from his Marucci model bat to one that belonged to teammate Matt Szczur. To that point Rizzo was 2 for 26 in the playoffs. The bat, as the story went, was identical to Rizzo’s own model in size and weight but was full of amazing karma. Szczur, an outfielder who wasn’t even on any of the playoff rosters, became a minor national star simply by lending his equipment.

The press ate up the story, but there was one catch: It was built on a white lie.

I pulled Rizzo aside on the eve of the World Series, just after he had finished his media-day obligations at Progressive Field, in which yet again Rizzo led people to believe that his bat and Szczur’s were similar, except for the incredible luck Szczur’s bat brought him. Rizzo made a confession to me, but only after he made me promise it was off the record until the Series was over. I agreed. Szczur’s bat was significantly smaller than his own: one inch shorter and two ounces lighter. Rizzo switched bats not for luck, but as a concession to losing strength and bat speed.

“It allowed me to free up my hands and not have to use my body,” he said. “Because at the end of the year I was so beat, I guess. In the beginning of the playoffs I was missing fastballs. I kept asking myself, Why? My swing is good. It could be psychological, but I think not. But I think taking the extra inch off and lightening my bat, I started to get to those pitches again.”

Rizzo knew that because of the way he struggled early in the playoffs, scouting reports on him would say that his bat was slow and that he could be beaten with fastballs. Meanwhile, with Szczur’s bat, he actually was much quicker to the ball. It was a secret he enjoyed for the final 10 postseason games, during which he hit .432.

The naked motivational Rizzo speeches were also mentioned, but other interesting notes from the book excerpt:

- Chapman threw almost all sliders in the 9th because Montero didn't feel comfortable being able to catch 100+ mph heat (despite Chapman not having that left in the tank)
- Almora knew almost instantly that Davis would catch Bryant's fly in the 10th and that was what enabled him to be in place to tag up
- Game 7 was only the second time in MLB history that a team used 3 catchers and all of them recorded an RBI
- Montero and Montgomery had no idea how to approach pitching to Martinez
- Montgomery was completely gassed from having to warm up multiple times starting in the 3rd inning and didn't throw a single strike warming up in the 10th either in the bullpen or during his 8 warmup pitches

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought the length/weight difference between the bats was pretty well-reported at the time?

MLB.com reported at the time it was the same weight but had a slightly different barrel and handle.

E: From the LA Times:

quote:

Rizzo, mired in a two-for-29, nine-strikeout playoff slump, crushed a full-count Baez fastball over the center-field wall for a solo home run.

He used Szczur’s bat again in the sixth, when his laser of a two-run single to center keyed a five-run inning, and in the eighth, when he singled to left, part of a 13-hit outburst that propelled the Cubs to a 10-2 victory that evened the best-of-seven series against the Dodgers, two games apiece.

“He’s done that a few times, grabbed my bat,” Szczur said. “It’s the same weight and size, just a different model. So he just grabbed one.”

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 15, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Poque posted:

I wonder how many of his teammates knew he was a cocaine user and how many of them were/are using as well. I imagine many of them knew. I don't mean this to be callous. I hope that if he has teammates who are using, they are taking it as a wake-up call and have since reconsidered.

I don't think it will be. Fernandez will be canonized and the whole thing will be treated as a tragedy and there will be 16 patches and tributes and retired numbers and the facts of what happened will just be one of things you don't talk about if you're a good and polite person.

Going out and boating while you're drunk and using cocaine, especially when you have a child on the way is dumb as gently caress and that's what Fernandez's legacy should be but that won't happen.

E: Yup

quote:

“No matter what the report has concluded, nothing will ever diminish Jose's everlasting positive connection with Miami and the Miami Marlins,” team President David Samson said in a statement. “Nor can it lessen the love and passion he felt for his family, friends, teammates and all his fans in South Florida and around the world.”

What he did and the consequences don't matter, what matters is his everlasting positive connection

I'm sure his daughter who will have to watch videos of daddy to get even the smallest inkling of a connection to her father will take solace in that everlasting positive connection to the city and to baseball

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 16, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

The thing is though that if he'd died in a drunk driving incident, it probably would have been more immediately apparent what happened and how much fault Fernandez had. Because it was a boat crash in the middle of the night where he ran into a jetty with multiple people on board the boat, it was framed as a tragic accident for a decent chunk of time before details started to leak out that Fernandez was incredibly drunk and on cocaine, and even then for a long time it was argued he wasn't driving the boat. It's easier to ignore the details and focus on how well liked he was prior to his death than to walk back months of praise and good feelings because he killed three people - including himself - as a direct result of his idiocy.

e. Also Fernandez was so well liked and respected by his teammates and around baseball that I think even if he'd died as a result of drunk driving, the reaction at least within baseball & particularly the Marlins would not have changed much.

Just because it's understandable doesn't mean it's right. The incident report is damning but I have no faith that MLB or the Marlins will turn Fernandez into a cautionary tale.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

IMB posted:

"Santa Maria" is the worst call in sports.

The only way I can stomach the Davis HR in the 8th of game 7 is with the Santa Maria call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z44Zz1UU_FQ

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

The Cards are doing something actually kinda cool this year: for $30 a month, you get an SRO ticket delivered via At Bat to every game except Opening Day, with guaranteed access to any giveaways. (Plus, the ushers at Busch don't really mind if you take over an open seat after a few innings.)

Essentially $2.63 per game if you attend all 80 is a fantastic deal and I have to assume the idea is that most people won't go to a ton of the games, SRO tickets mostly go unsold anyway, and if someone does hit all/most of the games they're going to make a ton off of them in concessions.

Shame it's essentially a season ticket that doesn't entitle you to postseason seats.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Is this in response to anything in particular, or just a general sentiment?

La Stella has said publicly that he would accept a demotion to AAA but rumor is internally the push to trade Szczur is because TLS's reaction to a demotion is still considered a volatile unknown and they can't put Szczur in AAA without him clearing waivers since he's out of options.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

So apparently it's "unlikely" that Julio Urias will break camp with the Dodgers.

At what point are the Dodgers gonna let that kid loose? I realize there are development timetables and all that, but it seems like they're just keeping a front-end starter out of their rotation because they refuse to increase his innings limit.

He's 20 and he already has 350+ innings of MiLB/MLB work on his arm. The Dodgers project to be plenty good without him in the rotation so I don't see why you shouldn't keep him in the minors and let him continue developing and working him up to a steady IP/year without putting too much strain or pressure on him and injuring a potential franchise cornerstone pitcher before he's 22.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

t. Cubs

http://www.csnchicago.com/video/reign-men-story-behind-game-7-2016-world-series-0

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Coghlan has been cut from the Phillies and Maddon just abruptly woke up in his RV with a massive erection

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Y'all laughed when the Rangers catchphrase for 2016 was #NeverEverQuit and then we won all the one run games and never quit.

Well watch out. The 2017 Rangers have #LoneStarGrit

You've been warned

it's actually #LoneStarGrits, their new ballpark food. Three cups of white grits served al dente and mixed with chocolate ice cream, Cholula Hot Sauce, two ounces of fried tilapia and topped with Haribo gummy bear shavings. Served in a souvenir cleat for $37.95

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

There's always that team that half the predictions have at 86-90 wins and the other half put them at 70-75 and you look at the Rays and nod sagely because they fit that profile quite well

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your 2017 National League Participant New York Mets

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I like the slightly askew employee of the week plaques and Schwarber's emotion but Zobrist is the lowkey star of that bit

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Padres finished spring training exactly as they should: losing 4-2 to their high-A affiliate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

Strongest and weakest divisions in 2017? I'd say the AL East is probably the best in baseball right now. Red Sox are the favorites but I wouldn't be surprised if the O's, Jays or Yankees won that division. Next best is the AL West. Three legit contenders and the Angels will be mediocre, not terrible IMO.

Weakest division would be the AL Central maybe? Not that impressed with anyone besides the Indians.

The weakest divisions in both leagues are the Central where you have nearly everyone picking Cleveland and the Cubs and those handful of 'pick the outlier just to be contrary' types spending a ton of time trying to convince themselves that (Detroit/Kansas City/St. Louis/Pittsburgh) really could make a run at the division If It All Falls Into Place

Strongest is probably the AL West. The AL East is the most balanced but I think the teams in the West are better foils for Cleveland.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread