Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

FIP for pitchers and wRC+ if it's available for batters?

Those aren't usually on the NPB stats but if anyone finds a site that creates them, I'd love to see it.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I remember when he got locked up in the Citifield on-site dungeon for assaulting his father in law or whatever.

I thought that was KRod. Well, it happened to KRod, I dunno if Johann did it, too.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love him for a few reasons

-Trading him (and Tim Drew) to the 'Spos netted Cleveland an incredible haul: Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Lee Stevens and Brandon Phillips. If only we could have gotten something good for Phillips when we sent him to Cincy, it might have been the best trade in franchise history. It might be anyways. Still pretty amazing either way, though. Plus he pitched pretty well for Cleveland while he was here: 75-45, 3.92 ERA. And that was before he learned to have better control.

-He's a true character. Sports needs characters to be interesting.

-The most hapless hitting pitcher ever, sans that bomb he hit last year.

I'm pretty sure Expos fans remember that trade as the trade that was the final nail in the coffin for the franchise because MLB would not allow them to add any money, meaning additional players, to their 40 man for the last month of the season and the sentiment was that other teams were actively colluding against them as punishment for giving up so much for Colon.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

That's what I figured. Since you need to calculate league avg constants for them I assume it would be pretty hard to generate them on the fly.
I think NPB does give you SF against pitchers which is the one small stat that most non-MLB leagues don't give you that allows you to get FIP. So I think it's doable if someone puts in a little bit of time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is so weird.

What would be hilarious is if Loria was able to cozy up to someone politically, so to speak, in order to sell another team.

ScottyJSno posted:

I made a FIP 2016 Spread sheet and now have that stat on my previews.

http://1point02.jp/op/index.aspx
has the saber for the top 20 or so players if you want to pay you cane get more.

This is awesome. Is there a button I can press to translate to English? Using Chrome made some interesting names like wRC+ leader "Cylinder incense Jia Ji" and batting title contender "In the corner Katsuya".

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 16, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I would probably be a little more outraged about the Marlins sale and ambassador thing if the sale price seemed to be more on the "sweetheart" level than on the "overvalued" one.

(Also ambassadorships to western Europe have been totally just friend assignments since forever, all those people have to do is dress nice and show up at parties.)

Agreed. It's just funny or sad that one of the most coveted assignments (I'd guess) is possibly going to the biggest super villains MLB has known since Bud Selig owned a team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Doesn't most of southern Jersey cheer for the Phillies?

I guess you can expect this from a Cowboys fan, though.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 16, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's easy to stop working out like a professional athlete. It's not easy to stop eating like a professional athlete.

I'm guessing Maddux doesn't give af about his physique.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

Why is this not an illegal pitch delivery, even with charitable 'drag the toe = still on the rubber' parameters he's clearly taking the foot off the mound and hopping forward

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

It's not a balk because it is his "...natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter".

They could change the rule but he's not technically doing anything wrong according to the rules.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/56955/carter-capps-delivery-is-strange-and-apparently-legal

The thing he was called out on in AAA was for over-elevating in his delivery (too much hop). I think he's changed that to more of a slide motion.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Ok so under that rule he could theoretically hop a few more times and deliver the pitch from the grass and it would be ok.

He never lands his left foot until he throws and stays within the normal range of a "delivery" while he's moving toward the plate. I think that's how he stays within the rules for most umpires - it's like a variation on a foot drag. It would be tremendously difficult to do anymore than what Capps does, I think. Of course, if there was a sudden flood of pitchers delivering like this and it clearly affected the game, I'm sure they'd clarify the rules like they did for ambidexterity pitchers.

My real opinion is that the delivery is allowable even though it's as close to illegal as you can get. What umpires should watch for, imo, is the height of his hop and to make sure the right foot always lands before the left. I wouldn't like it if half the relievers in baseball started doing this.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 17, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jeff Passan was signal boosting people on Twitter naming and shaming high school coaches who ran pitchers into the ground last spring. It was horrifying.

That was pretty upsetting.

I think Passan overlooks that proving that you're durable as well as talented is how guys make it to the next level, whether that's college or professional baseball. I don't think coaches should knowingly run players into the ground since helping kids succeed and get to the next phase of their life is a basic tenant of coaching but showing injury issues as a teenager is one of the ways a lot of talented young players end up focusing on hitting instead of pitching.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They're just mad because Dex expressing sympathy for people who are more vulnerable than him might violate the team's handshake deal with the devil.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mallex Smith is awesome and the Rays fans are lucky he landed with their team.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/833340412077211649/photo/1

He seems like a really cool guy. I only saw him interviewed once, at Braves Fan Fest last winter, and he was clearly trying not to laugh his way off his stool at the absurdity of the bad questions he was being asked by the panel host but he handled them all without falling back on a single lovely cliche.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

MLB.TV brought the hammer down last year and starting banning for account sharing. I have no idea how I dodged the bullet on that. Regardless it's safe to say the party is over.

gently caress that poo poo. I'm gonna run this poo poo into the ground.

I've possibly got one more spot open in my group if anyone wants in. PM me.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not that Cleveland fans would have been any nicer to him, but man I wish we'd signed Dex, they need a leadoff guy. Sanatna ain't cuttin' it and Kipnis is better suited in the #2 spot.

Santana walks 100 times per year and is a top 25 guy in baseball for OBP. He's a great lead-off hitter, speed aside (he was actually their best hitter last year among every day players).

What they really needed Fowler for was playing CF since Naquin is not good at it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Didn't the Braves have big offers to both Freeman and Heyward and Freddie was the only one who accepted, or am I remembering that wrong?

Also, I remember when the Braves did the same thing with McCann and Francoeur and only McCann accepted. Or am I also remembering that wrong?

Heyward said they never really made an effort to negotiate with him for a long term deal. They just did that 2 year deal with him and I think they came in low and didn't budge.

I was kind of down on the Freeman extension because they were buying out future free agent years at nearly market prices for a first baseman with a sub-.900 OPS for his career (in his defense, WRC+ likes him as roughly a top 5 1B every season). I can't say it's bad at all at this point and it seems pretty smart since there's no telling what he'd get as a first time free agent in this lovely market. He'd almost certainly beat EE's deal for AAV and length.

Julio Cruz posted:

Is this a thing people believe, or is it just something the Royals are pushing? Because he's bad according to literally every defensive metric there is. He's also a bad baserunner, which is only going to get worse with time.

It's something just about everybody inside baseball seems to believe for some reason. I think you can just about give Dave Cameron a heart attack by bringing that idea up, though. He railed against it in a FG post a while back.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is awesome:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/741771...dbpr=3058150694

Home movie footage of Ted Williams coaching a young Mike Piazza on hitting.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

For real though. I guess watching Homer at the Bat during my formative years glitched my brain into assuming he and Scioscia were elite players like all the others, but neither had a career OPS over .700!

I think Steve Sax was on the show because one of the writers was a big fantasy baseball player and Sax was very valuable due to batting average and steals compared to other 2nd basemen.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IBBs happen once every 5 games played. That means, on a day when every team played, you'd only see 3 intentional walks if you watched every game to completion. This is a useless idea unless you're going to go nuclear on pace of play and simultaneously introduce a pitch clock, enforce batters staying in the box by way of in-game penalty, and put mound visits on a clock.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Not anymore.

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/834467894683717641

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

It was never about his records being tainted, it was about him using them in the first place and violating "the character clause." That's the faux outrage sportswriters use.

I look forward to sports writers keeping Tom Brady out of the NFL HoF for the first 5 years of his eligibility because he's was disciplined for cheating.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Traxis posted:

Matt Kemp did it in 2011, too. He went .324/39HR/40SB but finished 2nd in MVP voting because ???

Because it was a triple 3 year for Braun, too. He finished behind Kemp in bWAR by .4. Braun had a better OPS but Kemp played a more premium defensive position and had more HR, RBI, and SB. It was because the Brewers were finally good.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was trying to show theriot.mp4 (The Theriot blooper reel set to the Benny Hill theme) to someone the other day but I can't find it on Youtube anymore. Anyone know if it's gone or where I can find it?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Heyward's been hyping the Best Swing Of His Life for months and so far it's resulted in two lazy flyouts, a grounder to second, and two strikeouts.

I mean it's early spring training so it means less than nothing, but it is pretty funny. :v:

He should have picked a swing and stuck with it a long time ago. This is like version 4.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Learn this one simple swing technique to improve your OPS 900 points! Pitchers hate him!

It worked for Joey Bats, Josh Donaldson, Marlon Byrd (to some extent) and Justin Turner. Maybe Heyward should look at what they did?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Brett Jackson attempted to do this in a last ditch chance to save his career last chance to stick in the majors and he is now a private fitness coach in the Bay area.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Phonoxen posted:

it's gonna be a long year for the ol' White Sox

MLB is pretty top heavy right now but at least the wild cards in the AL should be a race.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

The vintage baseball league fell through. I was the only female sign-up and the manager started by asking if my tits would interfere with baserunning. gently caress that. Hopefully I can get on a rec softball team this summer.

What a loving goony loser.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Non-competitive co-ed wiffle-ball is also a good idea if you're not into softball. Smaller fields and weather really even out the competition because you can't just send body builders out there to try to hit the ball 450 feet every time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

My last wiffle ball team ended in the final four of the season with the opposing team's captain getting ejected for complaining about literally every play to the refs. Then our captain got ejected with about a minute left for throwing her bat at the opposing pitcher and screaming that she shouldn't be allowed to pitch anymore because she was throwing overhand and too fast. We lost and our entire team stayed for the title game to cheer against the team that beat us. They lost and it was basically as good as winning.

Would highly recommend.

I pimped a HR only to watch someone jump up and knock it back into play. Chaos ensued. Wiffle ball is great.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Alright so I've narrowed it down to these two pictures:

and

I really like the first one but he's not #2 anymore. I like the glove hat thing he does but can't come up with anything clever. Best I've got so far is: "Please don't kill Dansby, he's so young and innocent"

Braves defense

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kind of late to the party but is the coaching box rule "change" just a clarification of existing rules? Is it there to make existing coaching habits allowable (like leaving the box to run down 3rd base line to let players better see the coach as they round third)?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Brett Lawrie's getting released.

V:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

chilihead posted:

Counterpoint, I'm a braves fan. Yes, many of us thought he couldn't hit.

Thank god they gave Nick Markakis that 4 year deal.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How lovely is his agent? There are minor league players (good ones, not the lovely org guys) getting their shoes paid for...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is great.

Also, there's a dude on this season of MTV's The Challenge who looks like a young Arod when he's looking right at the camera and I really hope he wins and then shouts "How does it feel to be poor, motherfuckers?" at the other contestants.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dee Gordon might actually be faster than Hamilton in a H2H race? He is poo poo at stealing bases, though. The Marlins should have signed Rajai just to teach him how that works.

Turner could end up the best base stealer in the game right now in terms of both ability to do it often and do it efficiently.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The trade that sent Turner to Washington is still one that makes me laugh (mainly at Tampa.)

Hey, they got tickets for the Willy Adames and (eventually) Mallex Smith hype trains thanks to that trade.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: https://twitter.com/manbearwolf/status/839510952932335618

V: I was always mad at John Baker for being bad at baseball when he played for the Cubs but I am so impressed at how successful he is at being a compassionate human being. He really rises above the stereotypes I expect from bad former players who try to use machismo to cover for their inability to succeed as major leaguers. What he's doing with the Cubs, teaching mindfulness to help players both on and off the field, is pretty cool stuff and it's nice to see former players not descend into addiction and hitting people.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Looking through his Twitter John Baker seems like a cool dude I would wanna drink beers and go to the batting cage with.

I have never seen a worse player more beloved by fans and it seems like it always traveled with him. The degree to how bad he was at hitting cannot be stressed enough.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dakota Limon is a pretty great name for a baseball player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Yeah I guess "cool and good" is a bad way to word that. But it's a known risk between two willing participants and I don't see that much of a difference between a hockey fight and boxing in that regard.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hockey fights don't ensue because someone celebrated a little too much after scoring or after a great save? They usually happen because someone hit an undersized prized center or winger too hard or messed with the goalie, which is a pretty vulnerable position and far too valuable to risk getting thrown out.

That's a pretty big difference from baseball where fights happen because people get their feelings hurt.

I'm all for keeping sports about sports and not about fighting people but there's a pretty big difference between the two. Also, just to point out, doesn't the rest of the world play without body checking or did I misunderstand that?

• Locked thread