Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spoeank posted:

To be fair, offensive linemen have disgusting eating habits out of necessity.

I've read interviews with football players saying that they really don't enjoy food any more because they've got to eat so much and so often to maintain that size. Couple that with an athlete's metabolism and you can see how guys can shrink down once they no longer have to put themselves through 8 meals a day of steak and chicken breasts and 12-egg omelettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Apparently Yordano Ventura's Toxicology report won't be made public according to Dominican Officials, which could lead to some interesting issues regarding the Royals paying out the remainder of his contract to his estate or not.

In 2 weeks time:

"no, we just decided it was in the public interest to release the report after all" *adjusts new Rolex*

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Nick Swisher retired. No word yet on whether the Yankees are going to pick up his option.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Are we doing a Meet the Teams thread again this year?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
His current average of 1.6 WAR/year puts his market value at about $12.5M AAV. It's possible that some teams would take him at 10/$125 but I guarantee he'd never sign for that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

You don't understand, he's an excellent defensive first baseman.

Is this a thing people believe, or is it just something the Royals are pushing? Because he's bad according to literally every defensive metric there is. He's also a bad baserunner, which is only going to get worse with time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They've already got one albatross 1B contract, they don't need another one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

5.05(b) of the rules of baseball: The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when: (1) Four “balls” have been called by the umpire;

There is no "intentional walk" in the rules, except for scoring purposes. You have to throw 4 balls before a batter is entitled to first base. To do otherwise would be a fundamental change to the rules of the game for no reason.

Pitchers get charged a ball for touching their mouth while on the rubber, right? Just have them do that four times.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They should replace Griffey's plaque with a post-nerve-tonic one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

I think Steve Sax was on the show because one of the writers was a big fantasy baseball player and Sax was very valuable due to batting average and steals compared to other 2nd basemen.

I think they wanted Ryne Sandberg initially and he turned them down, so they went with Sax.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The least intrusive way to enforce pace of play rules is to do so very stringently at the minor league level and thus ingrain habits as players develop.

Combine the two, give cash to minor league players who speed the game up and I bet you'd see a much higher takeup than you would with major leaguers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
This is why "but STEROIDS :arghfist:" is such a terrible anti-Bonds HoF argument. Even if you ascribe every single thing he did post-98 to steroids, by that point he was already HoF-worthy with 3 MVPs and very nearly 100 WAR.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Theriot is what happens when you have a player with ~tools~ but no baseball IQ whatsoever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

V: Colby Rasmus is married, and I'm not. :smith:

I wouldn't feel bad about this unless you've also earned $40 million and counting.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If you asked 10 people who'd never seen the World Series trophy to recreate it from that tattoo you'd get 10 different attempts and none of them would even be close.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm not convinced by any player who strikes out 6 times as often as he walks, no matter how good a couple of defensive metrics say he is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Players with a worse BB/K ratio than Baez in 2016, minumum 400PA:

1 Tim Anderson
2 Paulo Orlando

He's a below-average offensive player, and if he doesn't improve his plate discipline he'll continue to be so. He's clearly good defensively, but if he doesn't keep putting up 2 dWAR a season his overall value is going to be minimal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Last year, Baez slashed .273/.314/.423. The AL as a whole (using AL instead of NL just to quickly take out pitcher ABs) slashed .257/.321/.423. His bb/k ratio could use some work but "below average" doesn't seem to be the right description.

For a player with the third-worst K/BB ratio in baseball, I don't think "could use some work" is the right description either.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
A lot of Trout's greatness is due to incredible consistency and that's really hard to get across to casual or non-MLB fans. If you watch a Pats game you're pretty likely to see Brady throw for a couple of TDs, if you watch the Cavs you'll probably see LeBron put up 20 points, but if you're watching the Angels on any given night you'll probably see Trout go 1-4 with a couple of routine outfield plays, and that just doesn't scream "great player" in the same way.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

I've already seen it called the Carter Capps Rule so yeah

I expect he'll be grandfathered in, though, otherwise the MLBPA might well have hosed him out of a lucrative career.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I will laugh so hard if it turns out the Padres posting this tweet inadvertently got one of their own players' deliveries outlawed:

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sure they've known about it, but having his own team post how illegal it is in graphic detail is an impressive move on their part.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I highly doubt that this was the first time his delivery was ever shown in slow motion. And his delivery was explicitly approved by MLB until now.

I've seen the usual in-game replays of it, but nothing that close, that slow, from side on. I don't watch Marlins games though so maybe they've focused on it more.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Looking up Heyward stats on B-Ref and I rediscover that Gaby Sanchez got two first place votes for 2010 ROTY. The hell?

19 dingers and 85 RBIs, I'm guessing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

I don't know, I think it's just that if I were a member of a union that's had decades of having management try to gently caress me over at every opportunity, that's the kind of information I'd be uncomfortable with my employer having access to.

Can't wait until how often a player gets laid is brought up in his arbitration hearing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Throwing at a young player and risking breaking his ribs/arm/hand/whatever just because you're not good enough to keep the ball in the yard is not OK whether people have been doing it for years or not, hth

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

You can hit the ball out of the yard and not disrespect the pitcher too can't you? He never said that he'd throw at someone just for taking him deep.

And the pitcher feeling "disrespected" (only from a young player though, it's not disrespectful if it's a guy with 2000PA) means he can intentionally throw at the hitter and potentially cause him to miss weeks of playing time?

e: I look forward to the insta-reversal on this argument the first time that Rizzo gets hit this season

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

I'm not saying I'm encouraging people to go out there headhunting or throwing at people's ribs. I'm simply saying that it's a part of baseball culture whether you like it or not. Go ahead and raise hell about how much you all hate violence and we should all love eachother on the internet, I'm sure you will make a huge impact on the game and in the men's minds that have spent their entire lives around baseball.

So it's not OK but because it happens we should all be OK with it? I'm not following your logic here.

Dr. Remulak posted:

Also, Rizzo gets hit all the time so idk what you're talking about.

And if he has to go on the DL after one of them I bet the first thing out of your mouth won't be "ah well, just part of the game".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

I get that, I watch him play quite regularly. He also doesn't bat flip so I didn't understand the point to begin with.

Because "disrespecting the pitcher" is such a vague concept that literally anything could be taken as a reason to throw at him in his next AB. Hit a homer, stare at the pitcher, talk to the catcher, don't run the bases fast enough, run over the mound, try to steal a base in a blowout, the list goes on and on.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I was reading that the other way, as in once Rizzo gets hit half the Cubs fans here will be out for blood.

I'm sure they will be, and Mr "hitting batters is cool and good" here will be right along with them.

Dr. Remulak posted:

What don't you understand.. When I watching a game i'm not rooting for a pitcher to toss one at a batter that fucks with him but if it happens it happens. I'm not going to be outraged about it that's for sure.

If he was launching his bat a la Bautista then yeah I would be, but he's not that type of player so once again idk what were talking about here. He gets hit because he wants to.

I don't understand why you're OK with a pitcher potentially taking a player out of the game for weeks at a time, and I expect that your level of being OK with it will change drastically when it's one of your team on the receiving end.

Also using Bautista as "that type of player" :lol: just come out and say it, we all know what you mean

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

Nothing. I've never said I think there's anything wrong with bat flipping, talking trash, or celebrating whatsoever.

So even though a player hasn't done anything wrong you're still OK with him getting thrown at? You're really not making any sense here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Tebow got plunked then doubled off first when he didn't slide :lol:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This is me in loving high school.

Stay tuned for more, he's starting in the OF on Friday.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Personally I don't think the Mets are looking at Tebow just as a way of selling tickets and jerseys (though they're doing as much of that as they can, of course) but as an extremely low-probability lottery ticket. While he's almost certainly never going to get into the majors (or even triple A), if he does they've got a bona fide star ready to go, and he's not exactly costing them much.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

So if he makes it to the majors he'll sell even more tickets and jerseys you're saying?

Yes? I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement. Plus if you think he's getting a lot of press attention now it'd be 100 times as much for his major league debut.

Grittybeard posted:

It's not like he's an amazing prospect or something that if everything works out will be a perennial all star.

No he's a terrible prospect, but in the extremely unlikely scenario of "everything working out" then he could be anything.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Ah I understand you. It's a fair point, he's mostly a financial proposition but he'd also have other value in terms of press coverage, and possibly even of on-field contributions.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/840271769168683008

V: I need video of this more than I've ever needed anything in my life.

edit: V2: I would also accept a Frenchy GIF with Tim Tebow's face photoshopped into it.

I am f5ing Deadspin every 30 seconds.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's certainly not the worst throw I've ever seen but the fact that he does (at best) averagely well at making basically the easiest play possible for an RF is not a good sign for the future.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Some sources were saying the ball went 30 feet in the air after hitting his head :gonk:

Gameday says the catcher caught the ball, which....yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Pitchers are against reinforced caps because they've spent large portions of their lives fine-tuning themselves to be as effective as possible and even a seemingly minor alteration to their cap design can throw them off. Personally I'd be in favour of mandating a reinforced cap starting in little league ASAP so the next generation of MLB pitchers can grow up with it.

• Locked thread