Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Schwarber hitting .125 in spring training this year is exactly as relevant as him hitting .412 in the World Series last year (ie it isn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

I can only imagine the crowd reaction was probably similar to game 7 of the 2016 World Series having seen how they react when he GIDPs.

https://twitter.com/paxton/status/841357767256489985

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
One of the Mets minor leaguers committed the ultimate sin:

https://twitter.com/Josh_Smoker/status/843954095316783104

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would have been faster to say that his fans prefer white players, because that's what he's trying to say but won't.

I wonder how Manny Machado feels about Duquette calling Bautista "the wrong kind of player".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

I want to go back in time and argue in this thread that Manny Machado won't make it as a shortstop but also he will probably get as much or more money in free agency as Bryce Harper.

He might get moved to shortstop next year if Hardy's option doesn't vest, and based on how good he is at third I think he'd be good enough to stick there too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

post one thing you want to happen for your team this year! I want Greg Bird and Aaron Judge to each mash 30 homers and be charming while doing it

Two starters in the top 5 CY voting.

And, you know, a World Series

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

Hmmm.

Assume I am pitching to Bryce Harper. I am a 32 year old man with no baseball experience whose "fastball" topped out at 53 mph at the latest Cubs Convention. Give me a major league average defense behind me. Also assume that he can't walk, isn't allowed to bunt, and doesn't get to take a base when I hit him (he also doesn't get to fight me when I hit him). If you tell Bryce Harper that his goal is to get the highest OBP against me and he actually focuses on this, how high could he reasonably get it?

Depending on how long the session is and how well Harper can ignore the (I assume) large percentage of balls you'd be throwing, I think he could get over .800 by focusing solely on hitting line drives into right center.

Also, I hope you have health insurance.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Zack Wheeler's hairline is loving tragic for a 26-year-old.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Felix has noticeably dropped off over the last 2 seasons, at this point it's much more likely he's done than he's going to win the CY.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

He also thinks Clint Frazier is going to be Rookie of the Year? He's like only going to be a september callup who wrote this crap lmao.

I have a very hard time thinking Glasnow is going to win the NL RotY too, he was average at best in his cup of coffee last year. My money (homer pick alert) is on Robert Gsellman.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I could go either way on this one. He has the stuff to absolutely be RotY but his command is so spotty. If he can control his pitches better, he'd absolutely be near the top of the list.

He's had a problem with walking batters throughout his minor league career, so it's presumably something he's been working on for years without success, and I'm sceptical that he can suddenly find the key in one offseason, especially as he'll now be facing batters with major-league plate discipline.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hmm yes the Cubs definitely do have a space for a first baseman.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I MEAN HE'S GREAT AT HITTING AND FIELDING AND GETTING ON BASE BUT DOES HE HAVE THE WILL TO WIN????

Only two of these things are true.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He went through an injury last season and finished CY-7 the year before :confused:

2014: 170 ERA+ 2.56 FIP 0.6 HR/9 5.39 K/BB
2015: 108 ERA+ 3.72 FIP 1.0 HR/9 3.29 K/BB
2016: 106 ERA+ 4.63 FIP 1.1 HR/9 1.88 K/BB

When taken together with his fall in velocity, I'd call that a noticeable drop-off.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

2017 :N.L Contenders

Contenders for the NL? Yeah, sounds about right.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Alous and the Alomars have got to be up there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

The Alous are the only other trio of brothers to each at least APPEAR in a world series - Felipe and Matty appeared in 1962, Matty won in 1972, Jesus won in 1973 and 74.

And Moises got a ring with the Marlins in 97.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

It started that way...

2007: .282/.437/.627
2008: .247/.377/.494
2009: .227/.356/.537
2010: .196/.325/.407

Even in the worst of those years he was worth more than 2 WAR. A lot of teams do worse out of 1B.

• Locked thread