Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

readingatwork posted:

Technically so did you just now.

You nazi.

To repeat: the rape jokes videogame man is not a nazi. He's simply a libertarian who shares their love of racism, videogames, and belief in the Jewish conspiracy.

If you read the comments by actual nazis, they're hoping that PewPewDie will eventually grow more extreme and actively help them to recruit children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. thats why i always find it funny that people think the alt right is better. yeah the internet/college sjws/wokes/whatever are stupid oversensitive/prudish dicks who get offended to much over stupid poo poo. but at least the good ideas/arguments at the core. the alt right are basically even more oversensitive and prudish but with basically lovely late 19th to early 20th century ultra right wing ideals that they poorly try to mask as "classical liberalism". they are 2 sides of the same coin, its just one has more poo poo on it.
the persecution complex that has developed in the movement is also pretty interesting, coming in parallel with the great bringer of lols the orangeman himself. when one is popular, negative media pieces happen; its sort of inevitable as there isnt some central hivemind dictating every individual journalists actions (other than the borg-like collective that is leftist media, of course). but it seems like they (along with pewdiepie now in his most recent reaction) have mastered the art of grabbing the first negative or absurd piece they can find and just spinnin' it till its milked dry.

i feel like part of all this is also just the fact that youtube celebs aren't used to getting negative media like traditional celebs have been, and they dont have managers to change their diapers and coddle them when bad things do happen. that, combined with the fact that its real easy to summon mobs of frothing, echo-chamber nerds in the age of social media makes for this really weird clusterfuck we see today

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Pewdiepie? More like Jewsiedie

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
smart move: pewd lays low for a few years, marries his girlfriend, comes back as pewDADpie and rebrands him as a lifestyle blog. Maybe play bad games with his kids. The alt-r will say he's some ubermensch preserving the 14 words and he's the ultimate stealth agent.

smarter move: pewd bleaches his hair, gets a hitler youth cut, and starts his own network of free-speech activists funded by koch, murdock, breitbart.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 18, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I wonder why "free market" always seems to end up an ultra racist hellhole.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To repeat: the rape jokes videogame man is not a nazi. He's simply a libertarian who shares their love of racism, videogames, and belief in the Jewish conspiracy.

If you read the comments by actual nazis, they're hoping that PewPewDie will eventually grow more extreme and actively help them to recruit children.

It's the same reason they like you, just as likely to get them in their arms out of spite.

Putty posted:

any nazi imagery you see in places like youtube is all ironic poo poo making nazis the butt of a long running joke, if you go to their YouTube channel and it's full of swastikas and jars of cum then it may be a different story

The big joke in all this is on most people crying about PewDiePie do the same exact poo poo because of Reddit/Youtube/whatever rivalries pretend anyone making a gag about someone else wanting to suck Hitler's cock, they pretend it's because they actually want to give Adolf a BJ like Stormfront does.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 18, 2017

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Uncle Wemus posted:

Those that obsessively compete to get ahead do so by disregarding the boundaries of acceptable behavior in how one treats another person.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Chernobyl baby posted:

Poopeepie is a garbage "comedian" and nobody should watch his content

That said if you let your kid watch pewdiepie and his awkward terrible Nazi jokes turn your baby boy into a Hitler loving skinhead Id blame the parents for raising him to be a racist moron with no critical thinking skills, not the overpaid internet clown

The problem is, it's much more exciting to write out articles about the dude screeching into his youtube cam dropping five year old memes, than explain the lame braindead content generated by the youtube megastars

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Anyone defending this idiot should be gulaged

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Youtube was a mistake

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SpaghetioSexNoises posted:

Youtube was a mistake
i just want to make videos w/ my edgy animal avatar in which i unironically use the verb "cucked" as i rant about how unfair media is for systematically destroying kill_all_jews.exe . is that really too much to ask

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

readingatwork posted:

You know what's a great idea for an industry currently enthralled in a crisis of legitimacy? Running with a transparently bullshit hit piece on the most popular person on YouTube. Surely this won't backfire spectacularly and drive an entire generation of young people away from mainstream news sources and into the arms of the alt-right.

readingatwork posted:

You know America is in trouble when the guy with the Trump avatar is making the most sense.

Do you dumbasses really think that loving PewDiePie is some kind of nazi? Really!? I mean if you want to call him a talentless hack I won't argue with you but there's a difference between joking about something and endorsing it. Even when the jokes in question aren't funny or are in poor taste.

JFC people this sort of bullshit is why half the country only reads Breitbart and thinks racism is no longer a thing. Stop being lazy loving sheep.

readingatwork posted:

It's absolutely mind boggling how many people don't seem to see how letting a media outlet nakedly slander the most popular person on the internet with faux moral outrage could have negative consequences.

Lmao this duse is freaking out about this in gbs and d&d

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

imagine caring that much about some degenerate internet swede

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

it is highly illegal to have opinions about things

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

readingatwork posted:

You know America is in trouble when the guy with the Trump avatar is making the most sense.

Do you dumbasses really think that loving PewDiePie is some kind of nazi? Really!? I mean if you want to call him a talentless hack I won't argue with you but there's a difference between joking about something and endorsing it. Even when the jokes in question aren't funny or are in poor taste.

JFC people this sort of bullshit is why half the country only reads Breitbart and thinks racism is no longer a thing. Stop being lazy loving sheep.

imagine writing this

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

readingatwork posted:

I'm sorry but I need to vent about PewDiePie for a bit.

Look. I don't like him anymore than anyone else and just like all of you I kind of hate him for making millions of dollars doing random YouTube bullshit while I make pennies doing real work. I get it. That said what's been happening to him lately is bullshit and kind of scary.

For those not aware PDP is, quite literally, the most popular person on YouTube. He has over 50 million subscribers and most of his videos have been viewed over 5 million times. He used to record himself playing video games but these days he mostly does random comedy bits. He's also been known to use his considerable influence to stand up for smaller creators when YouTube randomly changes the rules and screws them over. Which is pretty cool when you consider the fact that YouTube has literally made him a millionaire.

Unfortunately he also has a long history of taking swings at various media outlets and apparently they're now deciding to swing back. Recently the Wall Street Journal came out with a hit piece basically calling him out as a Nazi. The article lists nine videos from the last six months where “antisemetic jokes or imagery” were used. I'd post the text and videos in question but they're now behind a paywall. So instead here's a Guardian article uncritically regurgitating the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/13/pewdiepie-youtube-star-disney-antisemitic-videos

Look at the way they phrased that. “Featuring antisemitic comments” Seems awful damning doesn't it? Here's the thing though. Considering the size of his audience, how come we're only hearing about these terribly offensive statements now? The answer is that they're not really all that bad when taken in context. People on the internet make all sorts of off-color jokes (including most of you, admit it) and most people are smart enough to recognize that referencing something isn't the same thing as endorsing it.

For example the one video I see everyone hold up as an example is him paying some guy on Fiver to hold up a sign saying “Death to all Jews”. Which seems bad until you look into it and realize that he chose that phrase precisely because it was ridiculous, and that he only chose it as a way to highlight how weird it is that you can now pay someone a pittance on the internet to do terrible things. In poor taste? Sure (he's even admitted he went too far here). But do you really think that this is indicative of serious antisemitic views? loving really!? The few other examples I've seen so far have been similar.

He's also taking a lot of poo poo because apparently some neo-nazi website declared their love for him and claimed him as their own. Because I guess if an rear end in a top hat is a fan you own everything that fan believes now? Is this the level of thinking at the Wall Street Journal these days?

This stuff is costing him big time too. Disney just dropped their sponsorship of him and YouTube dropped his Red channel. He will literally loose millions as a result. Which I guess is those company's prerogative if they decide PDP's sense of humor doesn't fit with their brand, but it's still pretty unsettling all the same. Forget whether or not you like the man. Here we're seeing the collective media trying to destroy a man's career through disingenuous means and it's working.

The scariest part of this for me though is what his fans must be thinking of all this. The media is in a crisis of legitimacy right now and for potentially 50 million young people their first exposure to it will be this poo poo. How many are going to walk away with the impression that the mainstream media can't be trusted? How many will see this as proof that claims of bigotry are just a political tool to silence inconvenient people?

Consider also that the only people really making any sort of sense on this topic right now are conservatives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC5LyaCdpEI

This is how Republicans are made. And all in the name of, what? Calling an internet funny man out on a few lovely jokes? Christ. Print can't die fast enough for my tastes.

Here's PDP's response to all of this in case you were interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwk1DogcPmU

He also explicitly come out against antisemitism and neo-nazi groups the second the article dropped in case you're wondering. But I seriously doubt any of this will matter at this point.

So... yeah. Kind of pissed off right now and curious what other goons think of this.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe PewDiePie is good?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

a bone to pick posted:

Maybe PewDiePie is good?

- Something an idiot would say

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

50 million subscribers but videos only have 5 million views :how:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uncle Wemus posted:

I dunno, why does every other system of government, economics, or artistic endeavor end up an ultra racist hellhole?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
ahahahahaha, he just linked sargon's handjob and followed him on twitter

the transformation begins #redpilled

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

Maybe they're robots.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Kjoery posted:

ahahahahaha, he just linked sargon's handjob and followed him on twitter

the transformation begins #redpilled

Ironically

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
e: oh, im an idiot, nevermind. the_donald got me with their fake news, got too excited

crime weed fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 18, 2017

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Imagine putting that much effort into defending a dumbshit edgelord youtuber that panders to middle schoolers.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

this is really cool actually. a normal cool thing.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

This is how Subscribers work though. Only a fraction watch most or all of the videos the dude makes

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheIllestVillain posted:

Shrieking white anime fan and YouTube millionaire spreads race-hate?

"I strongly identify with this person!"

Muscular Indian dudes stream a silly dance for five dollars?

"I don't identify with these people, at all."

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Putty posted:

Ork of Fiction what was our actual game plan for helping pewdiepie again, are we going to fuse all our racism into a giant mech for him to pilot

Step 1: Get paid.
Step 2: Help Pewdiepie? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Oh, man I just read the posts in this thread and I want to say that I'm sorry everyone. Ive let you down. :thermidor:

• Locked thread