Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is:

John Wick (2014)

Directed by: Chad Stahelski, David Leitch (uncredited)
Cinematography by: Jonathan Sela
Edited by: Elisabet Ronalds née Elísabet Ronaldsdóttir
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2911666/

In one sentence: "An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything [Ed. Note: his dog] from him."

A remarkably sick action movie from 2014 that was notable for being directed by Keanu Reeves' stunt double from the Matrix trilogy. I haven't seen it since I saw it in theatres a few years ago but I remember it being fully badass and I've heard nothing but awesome things about the sequel which released this past weekend. I'm planning on getting drunk and going to see it on Saturday but I wanna rewatch the first one this week.

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gently caress yeah

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well I guess I'll have to watch it for the sixth time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fungah! posted:

gently caress yeah

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just watched this again last night in prep for seeing part 2 tonight and I'm still amazed by just how great it is. The worldbuilding that's done in one movie is something that other companies and franchises can't do in ten.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember thinking it was super underrated when it first came out and now I'm glad we are gonna get like 5 of them

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I hope the John Wick series will become more powerful than the Matrix series. Keanu Reeves can't do no wrong.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Palpek posted:

I hope the John Wick series will become more powerful than the Matrix series. Keanu Reeves can't do no wrong.

It's been more powerful since the first one came out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Really impressed me. Nice to see Keanu getting mainstream appeal again. Best eight bucks I've spent on PSN

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's been more powerful since the first one came out
In a perfect world they would cut out all the crap from The Matrix and only left the cool bits where Keanu Reeves fights agents with guns. Oh wait, that's John Wick, the world is perfect, cinema is great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tbf thats also the first Matrix movie and the only good one.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
John Wick is fully sick.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been calling John Wick John Win

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i haven't seen this but now i have an excuse to

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
John Wick was so amazing. I went into it expecting something schlocky like Lucky Number Slevin and was blown away. Keanu has been my BFF since The Gift and A Scanner Darkly and I'm really glad his career had such a resurgence because he seems like a legit great dude.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Keanu as a staunch defender of film (the material) is cool too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched this again tonight and the weird economy of it seemed much more noticeable this time around. I like that the gold coins are never explained. It gives everything an unreal aspect. I also love that Perkins just showed up to be executed by Ian McShane after knowingly violating his hotel rules :cmon:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just started this. I forgot how awesome the beginning is, the first 4 or 5 minutes details everything you need to know narratively immediately so Keanu can just start doming Ruskies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also if this movie didn't have the opening scene the swerve about 10 minutes in would be absolutely loving insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The red circle massacre ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Strutting into church and pulling out an MP5

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Keanu's monologue about grieving unalone in the cursed shadow of his past sins. This movie kicks so much rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmfao the audacity of just including a shot of the Russian kid playing COD when so many of the action scenes just take place in COD maps

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

video games kill, ya know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Melee only duel to cap it all off. This movie kicks as much rear end as I remembered, drat! Going to see JW2 tomorrow night, can't friggin wait

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
So good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Just watched this for the first time. Holy poo poo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wtched it last night, so fuckin good. super pumped to go see the secnd one on tuesday

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810926

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Just watched this for the first time. Holy poo poo.

It's definitely my fave action movie of recent years. Its refreshing to see something just back out of narrative and focus on weird gung fu action or whatever they want. Dredd is cool like that too

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i remember first watching this expecting a bunch of modern action movie boring garbage and being completely blown away

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

trying to jack off posted:

i remember first watching this expecting a bunch of modern action movie boring garbage and being completely blown away

The first I heard about this film was from a video game cross-promotion, which led me to expect that it was just going to be some bland lifeless straight-to-DVD garbage starring a very bored Reeves, and I've never been so happy to be so completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The first I heard about this film was from a video game cross-promotion, which led me to expect that it was just going to be some bland lifeless straight-to-DVD garbage starring a very bored Reeves, and I've never been so happy to be so completely wrong.

Payday 2 ftw

• Locked thread