Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clam ache posted:

Amazing thread. V8s for everything make America great again. Half way through your first post I uncontrollably started make the Tim Allen horse power noise. Awesome car keep up the good poo poo goon sir

same but the salute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tehk posted:

To be fair the new four cylinders, six cyclinders like the GTR's vr38dett, and overhead cam v8s are loving huge. The lsx is basically 2/3 the size of the VR or a coyote.

It's ridiculous. Long live the pushrod.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy crap. The pushrod Chevy looks like a toy compared to whatever it's next to.

I guess I never realized just how much bigger OHC made an engine.

That's an LS3 next to a Coyote. Both equally dressed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

A lot of the truck engines are iron block and therefore much heavier.

I've read that it's only about a 60lb difference. Enough to matter for a balanced track car, but it's not like an old big block with iron block, heads, intake, and so on

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

A 6.0 destroked to 334ci. Uh, thanks for making me do unit conversions guys.

6.0l = 366 ci
334 ci = 5.47 l

an LQ4 is 364cid

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The F22 and F23 use the metric 60 degree V6 bolt pattern, which is also used on the LS4, and the Ecotec 2.0/2.2/2.4. I don't know what other engines that pattern is used on, though (I assume all LSs use it).

Nope, that's one way the LS4 is special. All the rest of them have the classic SBC bolt pattern (missing one bolt and different crank depth though), which is the same as the 90 degree V6 pattern.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think I have read that the LS4 is a bit shorter than the LM7 on which it is based, but I don't know if that's a difference in the block, or if it's all in the accessories. I'd imagine the mounts are in a different spot, too.

That's all I know about the LS4!

E: Internet says the mounts, crank, block length are different, as well as it not having a starter boss (since the starter is on the transmission, apparently)

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 28, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Uhhh.. So his entire problem is that you put LSX 454 rocker covers on a 454ci engine that's actually an LS3?

Yeah it looks to me like he thinks OP is trying to pull a fast one by using a more pedestrian block (:rolleyes:) than his valve covers suggest, even though it should make for a better build overall

I mean, he sort of has a point because he's using LSX branding on something that's not an LSX, but it would be slower with an iron block anyway so who even cares. Just don't put those valve covers on a stock 4.8 or something.

The main difference, besides the block material, is the deck height, right? I think I remember reading something about problems associated with running too much stroke in a short-deck block and exposing the skirts, but this doesn't seem to be OP's first rodeo

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
:perfect:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Do you guys not do the mid-week test-n-tune nights? Seems like that sort of thing would be about perfect.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oh my god, those tears are delicious

you are obviously doing something right

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Any way you could weld a train whistle on the end of one (or both)?

On one; tractor flap on the other

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So until you get the scratch saved up, it's a street car, right? :q:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tehk posted:

Where can I get thick posters printed affordably? I want to print a flat pattern and cut it out to test fit on the car before I laser my sample at the metal shop on monday and start forming.

Everywhere I look is limited to 48" and my pattern is like 24x60"

Sign shop, maybe?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fixed :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tehk posted:

...worth not owning as good of a car?

The question is: not as good of a car for what? If you want a drag car to go as fast as possible, the S2000 was never the best choice. Personally, I was the most attracted to the S2000 when it was mostly stock except a loving ridiculous motor, because that's what made it a crazy sorta-sleeper to me. A tube frame drag car with a Camaro body on it or a S2K body on it is kind of a different thing, but it satisfies a different need. Do you want fun/quirky, or do you want as much go-fast as possible?

• Locked thread