Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

corn on the cop posted:

This is the worst poo poo I've ever seen.

Mega Inflagetah (god that name) feels like it might actually be a workable Mega Pokemon because it comes a little closer to the canonical designs.

If you look at the Mega pokemon they walk this very thin line where they're exaggerated and different from regular pokemon but clearly not entirely new pokemon. Mega Gengar is clearly a Gengar even though it's a giant exaggerated version, Mega Aerodactyl is clearly Aerodactyl but jagged and exaggerated, Mega Sableye is clearly Sableye only clearly exaggerated and caricatured, Mega Manectric is clearly a Manectric only super overblown, and so-forth. You look at them see immediately "Oh that can't be anything but a weird looking Gengar/Aerodactyl/Sableye/Manectric", they look like evolutions but they don't look different enough to make you think it's an entirely new species of Pokemon.

Most of the Megas in Uranium don't meet that criterion. Instead most of them look like regular evolutions. The Uranium Starters are good (bad) examples, with Electruxo's family especially looking like a regular 3-stage pokemon line. The Megas in Uranium simply don't look exaggerated yet the same enough to pull it off, most of them are restrained enough that they just look like regular evolutions. If you look at Dramsama for instance its Mega Form is a much too conventional extension of its regular design, if you didn't know it was a Mega you'd probably think that was a natural evolution because the progression is too simple and smooth. Inflagetah is one of the only ones that looks like a Mega pokemon because the ridiculous rocket thrusters looks like the sort of thing you'd see on a canon Mega pokemon. The problem is that Mega Inflagetah is ugly as sin.

That's the other problem with Uranium's mega pokemon incidentally, Mega Pokemon designs work because they're based on good designs to begin with. Even some of the uglier (IMHO) Mega designs like Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt work as designs because you can look at them and recognize them from their base forms. When you look at Mega Whatever you can understand that it used to be a regular Whatever because in Pokemon the design sense is strong and memorable enough that every pokemon stands out. Uranium's Pokemon don't. Mega Inflagetah is not only ugly, it's also the evolution of a super bland Pokemon. The Uranium Pokedex on the whole is simply too unmemorable and too boring to really support Mega Pokemon. You need a baseline of good designwork before you can even think to aim for the tricky bit of making a new form that's exaggerated and distinct from the original design while still being recognizably similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Manatee Cannon posted:

I hate the name inflagetah way more than I do the sprite

This so much. The spritework is lame, but the name is so much worse, and depressingly it isn't much below par for Uranium's pokedex. I have trouble remembering what most of these pokemon are because their names are labored or boring or hard to parse or bland. Hazma is not only the best boy because he's a lizard in a Hazmat suit, it's because I see the name "Hazma" and I GET what it's telling me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You know Pokemon actually did do a ruined facility with vague science-y memos written pre-disaster: It was the Cinnabar Mansion in Gen 1.

Honestly though they were kind of ancillary to that place. Gen 1 was not a story heavy game, the main reason to go into the Cinnabar Mansion was primarily just because it was there. Sure you could probably intuit that since the Gym was locked and there was an obvious dungeon right nearby that maybe you could find the key in there, but it wasn't as though you were chasing a goddamn supervillain. In a lot of ways that was the flow of the game, you went looking for gyms and along the way you went into places to find ways into more gyms and into more places. The memos vaguely talked about bad stuff going down and making Mewtwo, but they were besides the point.

Also the Cinnabar Mansion, while annoying, didn't have a plot dump by a super lame villain who attacks you with an overtuned team and didn't have a crappy 5 minute real time maze of frustration.

What happens if you fail that maze by the way? Do you game over or just have to start over? Because I could see it going either way because hardcore or whatever.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tunicate posted:

Knowing this game he'll be converted into one of them.

Better than he deserves :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zereth posted:

I get the impression that multiple demons of the same type are only sort of individuals

That's been my observation as well. One of the most commonly done tropes of SMT is having your characters re-enact myths for various effects. One of my favorite bits of Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is a sidequest where you're asked to deliver a Yamata-no-Orochi so you can cut it open with the Ame-no-Habakiri and pull the Ame-no-Murakumo out of its tail. This is a reference to the myth of Susano-o, a point explicitly brought up in the game itself, but what's interesting is that you're not asked to bring THE mythical Yamata-no-Orochi, just one of them because all demons are the same but different. Presumably under the circumstances you'd be able to cut open ANY Yamata-no-Orochi with the Ame-no-Habakiri and pull out the Ame-no-Murakumo because every Yamata-no-Orochi is also the mythical Yamata-no-Orochi that Susano-o slew.

That's also not getting into the times IV:A (and others) indulges in a weird kind of religious Syncretism with its myths. You get the Ame-no-Habakiri in the first place by pulling it out of a stone in the fairy forest because the Fairies of British mythology recognize this mythical Japanese sword as Excalibur. Similarly one Earth Goddess refers to another Earth Goddess who originated halfway across the world as being basically the same as herself referring to that other Earth Goddess as her sister, and saying they used to be one being because they both represent the archetypal role of an Earth Mother. The Ame-no-Murakumo quest does it as well, the game deliberately confuses the Ame-no-Habakiri you have with other mythological Totsuka-no-Tsurugi ("Sword the length of ten fists") from Japanese myth, so not only do you have the sword of Susano to re-enact the myth but that sword is also syncretically another sword used by Izanagi and a third sword that was broken by Amaterasu, all at the same time.

You see this fluid identity throughout the series. In some SMT games with special conversations a demon created by fusion will refer to the events of their myth in conversation with particular enemy demons. Demons who you defeat will occasionally agree to grant you their power, which is understood as letting you fuse them because the demon you just created is also the same as the demon you previously killed. Demons are not the same as humans, they can think and generally converse but they're beholden to their myths and their archetypes. There can be multiple demons of the same type but they all come across as basically the same individual even if there's more than one of them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ozma was so much more fun, fair, and managable when it was a boss FF14.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There are jokes about Magrinzer and Gigantor aplenty but the punchline is that Golurk's appearance and abilities resembles those. It's a humanoid giant robot that flies and punches, you know. With the Daft Punk 'mons it's just... they are!

The key word here is, once again, subtlety. It's similar to the Bugs beat Dark Types thing, that's a blatant Kamen Rider reference but it's not aggressively promenaded. Uranium has the subtlety of a Tauros in a china shop.

Also because I'm a hopeless goony pedant it's spelled "Mazinger".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not a programmer, so a lot of this is flying over my head. You're saying there's a way to have the game call a variable that says [Pokemon#blahblah] and then set #blahblah to whatever name. So, if you wanted to change what #blahblah was, all you'd have to do is change it once, and every time that Pokemon was called in the code, it would use the new name? And the Uranium guys didn't do that? :psyduck:

Basically correct. And the Uranium guys said "Oh we're nostalgic for this shitass name. Also we can't do that anyways."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EclecticTastes posted:

Given that he specifically mentions that he's from another region, without naming that region, I'm fairly certain that Ryuki is intended as light foreshadowing of the next generation's region, the way the Strange Souvenir from X and Y foreshadowed Alola (or, more precisely, that the next region would be inspired by Hawaii/Pacific Islands).

So Gen 8 will take place in a region with wandering Dragon Master Rock Stars?

I'm on board.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stroth posted:

To be fair, that man is a giant.

Indeed, if that perspective is real Lt. Surge is like seven feet tall.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tired Moritz posted:

did they ever explain why we can put pokemon in computers

Not 100%. The games talk vaguely about the PCs being the pokemon storage service because apparently whatever it is about pokemon that lets you put them in a little ball in flagrant defiance to the laws of conservation of mass also lets you store and transfer them electronically. Viewed from that lens it makes a weird amount of sense that Porygon exists.

In the anime pokemon could be transferred around, but ones that were in storage were cared for someplace. For Ash it was Professor Oak's lab, and they showed he could basically summon them from any Pokemon center with a network connection.

Schubalts posted:

In the first anime season, Ash and Gary were sending all their Pokémon to Oak's house, since he apparently had enough land to support at least one massive herd of Tauros.

A fun bonus fact is that Ash's massive herd of Tauros was explained in one of the episodes that got banned. The Safari Zone episode (reason for banning: people with guns threatening each other) had a gag where Ash would try and throw a Safari ball at a pokemon and a Tauros would run in front of it and get caught instead. This is never explained in the English release, so a while later Ash just has lots and lots of Tauros.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nihilarian posted:

The other trainers probably would have gotten patched to be just as ludicrous if Nintendo hadn't told the Uranium team to knock it off

For the first time Nintendo's violent hostility towards fangames is a good thing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

someone awful. posted:

They put an "over 9000" joke in their patch notes, because of course they did.

You know there was a period there were the over 9000 meme had become so old and lame it became funny again. Then that period passed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dragonwagon posted:

OFS pretty much confirmed Curie=mom with his song selection for that fight.

Altough at this point it wouldn't even surprise me if it turns out Urayne is the protags mom.

And CURIE is actually a legendary pokemon? With that "talk-to-pokemon" kerjigger hooked up to that batsuit?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well that was overlong, stupid, poorly written, and not very well thought out.

Say what you will for Uranium, it's consistent.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ometeotl posted:

I hate everything about Adam

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. There's something so... egregious about his presence.

I mean even on the other side of skirtman haha, and the religious fundamentalists, and the acres of bad dialogue on all fronts, and the tone-dead grimdark of CURIE and the Garlikid side stuff, and every single intensely bad gameplay decision put into the game, I kind of want to say that Adam is somehow the worst thing in the game. I'm not sure I can adequately put it into words, it's just a profound sense of seething annoyance.

If I had to guess it's because Adam is sort of the Zenith of fangamery. A backer not only gets put in the game they're really super important and interesting you guys and he's there for the really cool quest where you get our fanmade legendary that rounds out boring old Heatran (who we won't put in the game) and Adam so super special that he has a Gengar (even without Ghastly and Haunter) and not just any Gengar it's obviously a MEGA Gengar because he's the best you guys. Somehow it's even worse that it's not a self-insert. He was just some doofus who (I assume) donated and helped the dev team and they responded by making him the keystone character of a post-game sidequest. Adam represents the insularity and smug self-assuredness that wafts through Uranium. They were gonna make a REAL Pokemans game for REAL Pokemon big boys like themselves and that core conceit seems to be why Uranium is such a trashpile.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this or assuming too much or just being totally unfair, but there's something about Adam and that Gengar hoodie that makes me want to kick him into a lava pit.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blockhouse posted:

Otohime is from One Piece (and a giant mermaid princess so that's appropriate) and Fii is from No Game No Life, I don't get any of the other ones

That could be the reference, but Otohime is originally from a Japanese fairy tale, and thus the name origin for a lot of different Otohimes across Japanese media so I don't know if this person is cribbing from One Piece specifically. Fii meanwhile is uncommon enough you could well be right. I assume I'd recognize Zakkun is also an unambiguous reference to a thing assuming I knew said thing since that's not a common name for a thing.

As for the rest I'm guessing they're all anime references because this person's team is basically a warcrime, but there are any number of MY ANIMES LET ME SHOW YOU THEM with characters named Aki, Haruka, and Asami.

Folt The Bolt posted:

People like Adam is why Pokémon Reborn get made.

You know? That could very well be why he offends me viscerally.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pshaw, we already know Mawuh's canon evolution.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Andorra posted:

What a garbage game

Not an emptyquote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I regret I can only :five: this thread once.

• Locked thread