Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

SSNeoman posted:

If you want edgy you could just play Pokemon Colosseum :v:
I was reading up on this game and well surprise surprise they rip off mechanics from that game too. And unsurprisingly Colosseum's implementation is so much better than what Uranium does.

ohmygorgon posted:

I always laugh when I see fan designs for Pokemon, they are almost always awful. They have the special ability to be both blatant ripoffs and completely different than what you'd expect to see in a Pokemon game at the same time. So far, these have not disappointed.
Well for as crazy as the designs get in Pokemon a lot of them are really based upon actual things/mythology/animals whereas looking at Uranium there really are just random doodles that aren't drawing from anything.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

GeneX posted:

The cat and its evolution are slightly overdesigned but would probably fit in 4th gen, on the lower end.

Barewl, meanwhile, might well be worse than every (non- conkeldurr) pokemon that actually exists, it's a bronze ball wearing half a nut with a pubic hair poking out of the top
The problem with your comparison is that you can tell what conkeldurr is by looking at it. Is it dumb? Yes. Does it have the same issue of not knowing what it is that Barewl does? No.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

It is cute in such a weird way.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 3, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

OFS has basically told grinding for EXP to go gently caress itself and is keeping up with the level curve via rare candies.

The biggest part of the Bealbeach difficulty curve is that you've got little to no way to levelgrind comfortably any more. If you're behind the curve, you're going to suffer. If you're on the curve, you're going to fall behind, and suffer.
On top of that too the reason why TieTuesday thought the Pokemon had perfect IVs was that even if you are five or six levels higher with a STAB move your Pokemon could just be one shoted. Is there any particular reason why as to why that occurred because that seemed the most infuriating part of the game? Leveling doesn't work the way it should.

CoffeeAvenger posted:

OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE. :suicide:

At this point, I'm half expecting a pokemon with running mascara and razor cuts.
You will never guess what edgey edgelord designs show up later because even I was surprised at how cold it was.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 20, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

If the game didn't screw with the damage formula, the Pokemon being used either had low defenses, or the opponents had high attack. Considering how overtuned the base stats are, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of the two.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was a glitch where holding an item caused you to take 50% more damage. No idea if that got fixed.
If I remember correctly TieTuesday looked at the overall stats and nothing seemed egregious. Even with the bug something was readily off with the math of the game.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Torchlighter posted:

Tie was also playing an earlier version of the game that increased the damage done to a pokemon if they were holding an item, so basically everything hit like a truck regardless of level, because his pokemon were holding items. Hard to tell if that was a bug or a conscious design decision to 'punish' people using items (I mean,it was probably a bug, but if it came out that it was actually something the designer put in,I wouldn't be surprised).

Pokemon Uranium basically reminds me at least a little of the Tomb of Horrors, a D&D dungeon designed by Gary Gygax to catch his players out by deliberately destroying any attempt by them to metagame or use their knowledge of the game to bypass obstacles. The main difference being, Gygax was explicitly trying to kill his players, and they knew it.
That doesn't explain away a lot of the weird discrepancies. I don't remember Pokemon being able to tank a Pokemon with STAB, type advantage, and a five level difference which ended up happening around this point in the LP.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

By the way, since this whole thing was optional and the only point was to get Garlikid, at no point will anyone acknowledge we did this or obtained the information we have.

Yep.
Wait isn't this a backstory to plot latter on making it weird that no one acknowledges it? Also, 92 is the periodic number for Uranium...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Persona/Pokemon mash up, if only for the :stare::hf::wtc: moments that would surely abound.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah its called Shin Megami Tensei.

Aerdan posted:

*whoosh*
That does bring up an interesting question as to how wacky Atlus's mashup of Pokemon and SMT actually is. I owned the game but never really got around to finishing it.
EDIT:
For those of you wondering its Demikids or Devil Children which is the game line.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 23, 2017

• Locked thread